05-09 I6 turbo engine wanted

Ah, no, my first engine had DI. It would be nice if the engine summary screen showed such things.

1 Like

After about an hour of experimentation, I came up with this:

Just 3000cc, but DI and with the family year set to 2005. This one has a very flat torque curve and can rev to 7500 rpm, with plenty of growth potential for higher-performance variants.

@vmo your engine’s family year is set to 2000, but I am very sure it will still be competitive by 2005.

Unfortunately we can’t export UE4 engines yet, unless we also export the car trim in which they were installed, but I reckon the dyno sheet above is enough to convince you.

And now for one without any of that fancy valvetrain garbage:
Low friction cast pistons would have given near enough 30% thermal efficiency but alas they can’t handle more than 450Nm.

2 Likes

Okay, some interesting figures it might help if there were some build stats… I’m gonna have another go and post mine.

Also, throttle response, what does the final figure represent? what is 25 compared to 75, what is the comparative to a BMW 440 or an MX-5 ???

Throttle response is nice because you can check it yourself - just run the manual test of the engine and play with the gas slider :wink: 25 is rather lazy, 75 is very aggressively schporty.
(and yes my engine has just 28 because it’s eco tuned on MPI, both of which harm throttle response)

I’ve realised that the engine im trying to emulate is the BMW N54 & N55 to which I just found out are DFI, only problem is Automation doesn’t have twin scrolls yet

Yeah, accurate replicas of any modern turbo engine is rather impossible currently in Automation, not even worth trying. Better make sth own just aiming at real engine’s overall performance, efficiency etc., but not matching exact numbers.

Have a go at replicating a reasonably old naturally aspirated engine. Try to replicate a 1988 Opel C20XE, then come back crying and defeated. 150hp naturally aspirated, port fuel injection, 227g/kWh specific fuel consumption or 37% peak volumetric efficiency on 98 octane fuel. No variable valve timing, no variable valve lift.

Dr. Fritz Indra, Engine God

Eh, with some good turbo tuning you can achieve a nice torque curve though.

4 Likes

be good to see how you built it?

Didn’t say that only modern turbo engines are hard.

@Austin By the look of that curve I think it’s similar to my engine you already have, just with the VVL profile set higher and some tweaks to ignition and turbo.

For eco I used:

For sport:

So all very conservative. For more torque you’d go way more aggressive with the boost, but Automation’s economy test does not like a lot of boost.

3 Likes

Not always true, as I recently discovered and was surprised myself. Because hey, a V6 with 1.0 bar of boost in a mid size ~1600 kg car achieving economy of 4.9 l/100 km / 48 MPG is rather good, right?

PS But that’s with some quirky gearbox behaviour, cruising constantly at over 3k RPM.

2 Likes

Here is what I came up with

i6t

Think I might throw an I6 turbo challange…

3 Likes

Not a bad effort - the turbo spools up early - but it’s fairly peaky, and the torque tails off rather quickly past 4000 rpm. Also, 25% efficiency is only average for something of its type. Definitely has potential though.

2007 Straight six turbo challenge created

http://discourse.automationgame.com/t/2007-3-0l-straight-six-turbo-engine-challenge/23229