1973 Rally di Fruinia [FINISHED]

If my C0 or C6 make it, it’s only because everything else has caught fire/exploded. Lol

My best chance is the Hosho.

I’ve got one chance, and that’s hoping for a miracle that the 662ci “Goliath” big block can haul the Savage around with authority. Otherwise, it’s likely getting counted out.

1 Like

You should also expect some resistance from a inline-6 muscle/supercar built more than 2 decades ago

Respect for using FWD btw

MAD respect for building pretty much a modern 1904 Christie that can actually sell, my man. I actually think that’s the most American car in the contest by a long ways (American-invented engine, American-developed drivetrain that was also used in the speedy Miller 91/Cord L-29 before Citroen were even thinking of using FWD, truly American size/weight/displacement, general American uniqueness). The only way it could be any more American is if it was using OHV and one/two four-barrel carb(s).

Whether or not that’ll be enough to beat my V12 Gatz, though…we’ll have to see.

2 Likes

Well, Sinistra’s lore was built on being FWD as early as the game would let me, but I started with SOHC as my base for everything. That said, the 464ci is dual-quad, and prior to '73, the 662 would’ve been dual-quad. But, both the 464 and the 662 are SOHC tri-valve crossplane V8’s, so they’re American made, but not quite true to the pushrod-or-death design strategy that we’ve had for many years.

As for why there’s fuel injection, well, it’s experimental on this car, but there were a limited run of Savage 662’s with the Mechanical Fuel Injection unleashed on the market, as a top-price option.

2 Likes

In the early 1970s, Inline Designs was a fledgling company making a name for itself by building high-performance racing engines for local competitions. Its success attracted the attention of two American automakers looking to make a splash at the 1973 Rally di Fruinia - Adenine Automotive and Gasril Motors.

#93 Gasril Yearling

The Inline Designs-modified Gasril Yearling followed the American tradition of stuffing a huge engine into a tiny car. The Yearling was an early American subcompact designed for cheap inline-4 engines, but Gasril offered up its 5.5L pushrod V8 from the larger Gasril Hustle and asked Inline Designs to find a way to fit it under the hood. Besides modifying the steering and suspension components to get the engine to fit, Inline Designs’s major contribution was replacing the 2-barrel carburetors with its experimental mechanical fuel injection technology. The engine, tuned for low-end grunt, produced 240hp and 338lb-ft of torque - impressive figures for a car weighing just 1120kg. 0-62 could be accomplished in 6.2 seconds. The downside? Swapping in the heavy iron-block V8 resulted in a 61/39 weight distribution.

#92 Adenine Vindicator

By comparison, the Inline Designs-modified Adenine Vindicator was unconventional in almost every way. Based on the same front-drive platform that underpinned all of Adenine’s vehicles, the Vindicator was powered by a transversely-mounted 3.5L OHC inline-6 and was known for its sleek aerodynamics and performance value. Inline Designs recast the engine block in lightweight aluminum and added its own mechanical fuel injection system. The new engine produced 169hp and 220lb-ft of torque, sending the 1033kg vehicle to 62mph in 6.7 seconds. Interestingly, the FF Vindicator matched the FR Yearling with a 61/39 weight distribution.

6 Likes

All 169 accepted entries have been processed and added to the second post of the thread.

Thank you for all those competing for the limited places of the main competition. I already know I will have to leave some great cars out.

I certainly have enough submissions, but still a bit disappointed with a number of people registering multiple numbers, but failing to even submit a single car.

In terms of cars, the most unexpected thing to me is that almost no one submitted a small displacement sports car, but nearly all went for a small passenger car in the lower classes.

Also remarkable is that more than a few basically built a race car, with next to being punished in the technical scores, doesn’t even perform well in a rally where lower and usable available power tends to be much more important (certainly in this time period, this is not the point and squirt AWD era).

Good luck to all, I’m hoping to get the largest part of the qualifications up this weekend.

12 Likes

I agree, and I think you should not give anyone the right to reserve numbers next time. People should just make a car with a chosen number and submit it. Only then it should be taken, IMO.

Or just don’t reserve a number if you’re not sure if you’re gonna take it, guys. I’m guilty myself - I’ve reserved #304 and swapped it for #303 last minute. (ok, 2 or 3 days before the deadline, but still)

I wonder if you consider my Silverbirds to be sports cars, race cars, rally cars, passenger cars? Technically they are a cheap communist car with some modifications to their suspensions, visual designs, and also engine swaps. People in Poland were doing such things all the time for rallies (and still are, even to this day). EAG LETs are basically what the Polish motorsport market was using for decades, just in serial production and with some power added (this is where Eagle’s high-revving small-displacement engines come in). Fiats 126p are just so simple and tremendously easy to modify that IRL, even 1.4 and 1.7 swaps were a common occurence in the motorsport field.

But yeah, I expect some (if not most) of my cars to get totally shredded in the “technical coherence” category. I just didn’t exactly know where slight modifications end, and goingfullham&cheese starts. In professional and semi-professional rallies it’s just a common occurence to add some power to a car, replace its suspension and basically strip it of everything unnecessary. And I think this event is at least semi-professional, since we’ve got official manufacturer teams starting, not some amateurs.

My engines… yeah basically race engines. The I4 gets like 97 HP/L with SOHC :joy:. But the CMV is based on an actual car (while the Mini rip-off things I built were just for this) so it has partial aluminum panels and aren’t increeedibly technical. (Unlike the Minis which are fiberglass r.i.p.)

Wow, that’s a lot. My cars have ~70HP/L on average, and ~81HP/L not counting the Eagle 802.

I could’ve made them much more powerful, but I was just trying to ask myself: “would anyone buy this car?”.

So I went with ~67HP/L in most of my production models, and ~80HP/L in their rally variants.

1 Like

I took that into account. Most of your cars score high to very high on technical coherence. With race cars I mean fibre glass, tubular chassis, mechanical per cylinder injection, 4 valve engines, etc… in cars where they don’t belong.

A small hatch with all that will typically score 0, while a mid-engined exotic will get a relatively high score.

I also meant race cars in terms of tuning. Hard suspension, gearing and traction tuned for a wide, high-speed track, horsepower and especially torque available at high revs only. A recipe for disaster in rally.

3 Likes

Then I think we should expect some disasters to happen for Silverbird 3c, E-204 & E-604 :sweat_smile: they really don’t like low revs, but that’s already kinda rooted in my lore - small, naturally aspirated, peaky engines. The only true exceptions to that are Eagles 303 and 802.

E-303 is probably the easiest to drive out of all my submissions, since it’s got FWD and relatively flat power curve.

Thanks for replying with some data that’s not yet official - I’m really amazed that you even remotely know and remember my cars, given that there are 162 others :open_mouth:

1 Like

Qualification C0

In the week before the official Rally di Fruinia takes places, a closed stage on the Targa Frucilia decides on the brands and drivers allowed to compete. This event is technically not public, but no special measures are taken to prevent spectators. As a result, we do have some image material, just to give you a flavour.µ

Competition in the smallest category is quite fierce, with 18 entries and engine displacements from 359cc to 750cc, the maximum; and power outputs from a measly 22 horsepower to 77 horsepower.

The captured image material can be viewed here:

Now, to the official results! And the organisation has announced that next to the 8 qualified cars, 2 cars have been given a wildcard to compete in the main event:

Number User Car Total Points Qualified
291 @DriftinCovet1987 Mouton Cherie 750 R 29 x
83 @HighOctaneLove Bogliq Fanatic 75AE 27 x
652 @Obfuscious WM Aeromouse HDV8 27 x
126 @Elektrycerz EAG LET Silverbird 3c 25 x
529 @electroGG SW Nugget Rally 24 x
971 @RaduST Lastun D750 23 x
61 @Nivracer KMC Risparmio 22 x
33 @MartinPL Lutoza Enano [R] 21 x
132 @Alib Bramble Project 10 19 w
50 @LS-Vehicles Teuvo Halo 19 w
836 The AlmightyTwingo Meijer Tokyo 66 Kei 360cc RDF 17 -
691 zschmeez Albatross RS75 17 -
95 machalel Bechov B 1132 AVTOPROBEG 16 -
999 Dorifto_Dorito Merciel Modele 1949 Modele 49 La Course '70 16 -
750 VicVictory Suzume Ebi Kei 500 Concept 15 -
880 albacete84a Toramania Rennen 265 RW 14 -
395 LinkLuke GMI 400 Rally 14 -
964 Watermelon3878 TIny 750 Rallye 10 -

If those tagged (congrats) would be so kind as to provide me - or reconfirm - the names and nationality of driver and co-driver. You can do so in this thread in a post below, or via PM to me.

I don’t want to give too much away in terms of performance, so I will keep a detailed breakdown for at the very end. However, I can say a few words on those not qualifying.

Times:

Number User Car Best Lap
691 zschmeez Albatross RS75 02:11,544
964 Watermelon3878 TIny 750 Rallye 02:16,324
880 albacete84a Toramania Rennen 265 RW 02:22,682
999 Dorifto_Dorito Merciel Modele 1949 Modele 49 La Course '70 02:27,851
750 VicVictory Suzume Ebi Kei 500 Concept 02:28,228
395 LinkLuke GMI 400 Rally 02:28,368
95 machalel Bechov B 1132 AVTOPROBEG 02:29,117
836 The AlmightyTwingo Meijer Tokyo 66 Kei 360cc RDF 02:48,526

Comments:

Both the Albatross as well as the Tiny suffered from the same issues: the most expensive and over-engineered cars of the class, despite decent enough design. While the Albatross only just misses out, despite high drivability, on gathering enough points in terms of time, the Tiny simply doesn’t take corners well enough to make it competitive.

The others, I can, basically, summarize as being too slow… This depsite scoring very high in the non-time scores, especially the Meijer and Bechov. The GMI simply had an engine too small, and would probably be on par with the ones going through if it had the same design but larger discplacement.

17 Likes

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, so could you explain this to me

Meaning 10 cars in this category can take part in the main event. The 8 automatically qualified, and 2 wildcards given by the organisation.

2 Likes

You’re doing the driving?
Or is sime kind of Bot?

My little Cherie not only got into the race, but it also qualified ahead of the Bogliq, Aeromouse, AND the EAG LET?! Wow…and here I was thinking that i wouldn’t have had a chance at this. (Also, my Cherie is REALLY quiet compared to the (presumably) straight-piped competition, so that’ll be noteworthy for the news.)

Turns out I’m much better at rallies than CSRs. May I ask…how is it that I won C0 with the Cherie?

1 Like

I’m driving. I do my best with each car, but I’m also going for clean laps, so the times will not be on the very limit. But they should be fair.

Well, you qualified, convincingly. It only starts after this.

I cannot say much, but I will say you only scored below average on technical consistency. The rest was more than competitive.

1 Like

Yeah, I was sort of expecting that. It’s not like SOHC 4-valve was something that you would regularly see on a tiny not-Fiat in 1973, when the actual Fiat 126 (and many other vehicles of this era) still used OHV, sometimes well into the '90s in the case of the Ford Ka/original Mini/Fiat 126. However, I’m glad you liked my Frenchified design of the not-126, though; after my experiences with design in Automation, let’s just say that I was desperately trying to break away from minimalism, and I see that my efforts did not go to waste at all. Also, glad that my “botched” suspension tune that I thought wasn’t going to work actually turned out to be very driveable for you (in my testing, I found that the Cherie was a fun little car to drive around in, but it did have a few problems with lift-off oversteer).

Told you :stuck_out_tongue:

Silverbird 3c has one muffler and about 61 noise IIRC. Engine sounds in BeamNG can get really glitchy above ~7000rpm, so I had to turn it down a little bit, since that little 0.7L revs up to 8100rpm.