1973 Rally di Fruinia [FINISHED]

well missed that

Not that it mattered much, you really donā€™t want to drive a rally stage in a rear wheel drive car with a gearbox that uncontrollably downshifts. Itā€™s not optimal for your stage times. :stuck_out_tongue:

true dat.

At least the two Hugis with sponsoring went through

Mitsushita Report #1

After the qualification event, Mitsushita wished to report that 3 of our 4 entries are going through and will be participating in the rally. They will be operated by the representatives of their builder nation.

The car Number 11 will be driven by the Japanese driver and co-driver; Yoshihiro Fukuyama and Aiki Mitsushita.
The car Number 111 will be driven by the Finnish driver and co-driver; Jussi Toivonen and Valto Juhanen.
The car Number 420 will be driven by the British driver and co-driver; Francis Wood and Frank Fenton.

Theyā€™re all a very respected and experienced rally drivers and co-pilots. And we wish to have a satisfactory result in the competition and wish everybody good luck.

4 Likes

i have to know how i scored so poorly?

iā€™ll freely admit the c4 car was bad, but my other cars were all top 10 qualifiers, and were built in a historically accurate manner with decent stats. what gives?

C3:
Styling: good: 3 but +1 because I find it looks quirky: 4
Technical: Solid: 5 but rather strained engine tuning with per cylinder mechanical injection: 3
Budget: more expensive than average by about 10%: 3-1: 2
Drivability: ā€œnot an enjoyable car to drive, unstable, understeer and power only in high revsā€: 2
Time: no points, significantly slower than the qualified entries.

C4:
Styling: good: 3 but +1 because I find it looks quirky: 4
Technical: Solid: 5 but rather strained engine tuning with per cylinder mechanical injection: 3
Budget: more expensive than average by about 10%: 3-1: 2
Drivability: ā€œundrivabile in a straight line, unless you compare it to its ability in taking cornersā€: 0
Time: irrelevant, car can only be inched over the road at 3k rpm

C5:
Styling: 4 (great)
Technical: 3 (solid but again per cylinder mechanical injection and the odd choice of an alu body)
Budget: 3 (average)
Drivability: 4 (good)
Time: just scraped it into points

C6:
Styling: Yikes (1) +1 for effort: 2
Technical: +2 for OHV and 4 barrel carb: -2 because donā€™t be silly (giant engine, alu body panels, the overal concept of the car in 1973): 3
Budget: average
Drivability: Highly unstable on braking: 2
Time: decent enough, but not competitive

C5 was your best entry, and others were just a bit faster to steal the qualification away from you there. Not a single one was top 10 though, not sure where you got that from. Your cars were 20th, 26th, 16th, and 21st.

There are no recorded videos for any C6 cars. Was there a lack of good highlights, or simply an oversight? Asking out of curiosity.

And well, I didnā€™t want to see ā€œI told myself soā€, but I told myself so. :stuck_out_tongue: No amount of testing could really save a car meant to fall flatā€¦ Still, as Eliz said, the right personal cars made the cut. Maybe the Owlette can have a strong career in drag racing. Itā€™s already halfway there in the handling department!

Speaking of which, if possible, what was the feedback on handling characteristics?

I have them ready if people would like them. Those were just a test on reception anyway, as I plan on using them in the actualy rally reports later on.

Itā€™s very drivable until the (forbidden) automatic gearbox shoots it in the foot every time you slow it down for a corner.

2 Likes

top 10 qualifiers, not top 10 overall. C3, C5 and C6 were all top 10 on the timesheets.

Well, I would say they are good for showcasing the cars. Bar the occasional weird camera cuts (Beamā€™s fault, canā€™t really do much about it), they are solid highlight videos. As for an Owlette video, if you have one, would it be possible to send it through PM?

Thanks for clarifying, much appreciated.

Ok, so itā€™s not an outright disaster. That would be the original tune, running all axles. shudders
As for the gearbox, this is what I get for trying to make an American car as opposed to one who reads the rulesā€¦

Of those not qualifying.

well, dā€™oh on me.
nevermind, iā€™m silly.

continue as you were ant thanks for the feedback

1 Like

cough Olds 442 cough

Problem solved.

1 Like

Totally not surprised that the Maverick 700AE failed to qualify. It had over 200Kw in my rally de-tuned trim and was just horrible to drive in Beam, even when using the gearing trick my Discord mentor supplied me!

Why did I enter it then? Simple really, I was hoping itā€™d pass (somehow) along with Ardent and Sinistra and weā€™d have the king of the muscle car race war to end all race wars!!! Shame it didnā€™t work out thoughā€¦ sigh

@Private_Miros, how did my car compare to @VicVictoryā€™s Ardent or @Madriasā€™s Sinistra? Iā€™d love to know how youā€™d rank our cars independent of the main competition! :thinking:

I now have 4 entrants clear to enter the Rally di Fruinia so Iā€™m hoping my constructors championship hopes are still in with a chance of successā€¦ :worried:

FTFY. (also, in what way would a 442 help in rallying?) :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes I know the SInistra did not qualify, but at least it wasnā€™t DQā€™d for using a foreign weapon either!

Well, he DID say the Chesapeake was painfully slow. Yet another reason I need to bite the bullet and design an actual big block V8ā€¦ grumble grumble grumble

(yes, Iā€™m an American who hates gargantuan enginesā€¦)

Oh, I thought you were implying you were trying to make the car American by putting in the auto. But a 442 would have had a manual. Just saying.

2 Likes

Yours is the fastest, but overal the Ardent wins out for me. Itā€™s more enjoyable to cruise with, it just feels American.

This particular Sinistra weā€™d rather not talk about. Itā€™s a bit over the top even for Sinistra standards, and it shows - not in a good way.

Also, on the topic of gearing, that was actually a bad point of your car in my notesā€¦

4 Likes

Well, iā€™m always that one lazy bastard to do post showcasing cars as last one.

So, here we go, Installed Racing modifications and ready to go:

For those more interested there is full album on imgur:
ALBUM

9 Likes

Ah, that is what I was implying. I was asking for which portion of the 442 would help keeping the Owlette 'Murican without being illegal as frickā€¦ And thanks for clarifying that one, much appreciated. :+1:
Still, with an engine that canā€™t even make 300hp, would the Owlette be saved by Sr. ManuĆ©l?

Answer: No. See also: Ardent Chesapeake. :stuck_out_tongue: