1973 Rally di Fruinia [FINISHED]

BAM press announcement

The BAM race truck transporting all entries has fallen over after a technical failure and uncontrolled departure into a roadside ditch. The cars are repairable, but not in a time frame which would make a start in the rally possible. BAM is sad to announce that the event will have to be skipped.

8 Likes

Ceder Angotti Rally Team

C3 - Ceder 307 Angotti #44

Driver: Dominique Lussier
Co-driver: Avril Lussier

Driving their first factory backed effort in the Rally Di Fruinia is the Lussier twins who have modified an already sporty Ceder 307 Angotti to tackle the harshest of Fruinian roads from their garage workshop in Rouen fitting stronger shock abosorbers and doubling up antiroll bars. The engine has been modified to run on 92RON Leaded but still produces the same amount of horsepower as the road version breathing through a twin of 45 DCOE Weber carburetor. Aesthetically the car has been give a two tone paint job using Ditane Blue and the chosen yellow of the Lussier twins as well as a quad of Sev Marchal spotlights.

C1 - Ceder 506 #310

Driver: Francois Perriat
Co-driver: André Chausson

After realizing that both the Lussier twins had sent requests for two different racing numbers and with not enough time to build another vehicle they made the decision to tow the 307 to the rally and then paint some numbers on the one of the service vans and rally that. The 506 is one of the last 1100’s produced and is completely standard using a Solex 28 single choke carburetor and pre-crossflow design dating back to the early 1960’s. The only change bar the required regulations has been fitting some standard Ceder 106 13’’ wheels. While it may not be fast it will definitely be a fun for Fabien and André.

Team Earley Racing

C4 - Ceder 409 TX #15

Driver: Arthur Earley
Co-driver: James Barret

After hearing about the Rally Di Fruinia through some friends in motor sport and with some aid from a wealthy uncle Earley and Barret secured their vehicle of choice, a 1 year old Ceder 409 TX famed for its soft and comfortable ride theoretically ideal for a Rally event. The engine is the standard block from the normal 409 just creeping over the C4 minimum displacement, using a fuel-injection system from a 309 Angotti and custom tubular exhaust.

Venegoni Rally Team

C6 - Venegoni Spatha 3800SS #249

Driver: Ugo Feranda
Co-driver: Timoteo Aparo

The spoilt son of a very wealthy friend of Giulio Venegoni entering the rally in his fathers luxury coupe fully prepared in the Venegoni workshop, with more than ample payment as a reward. The V12 engine has been taken out from 3.5 litres to 3.8 litres and tuned to run on lower grade petrol sporting an aggresive cam profile and high redline. The restrained and stylish lines have been pumped and flared to fit larger tyres, and suspension changed from comfort orientated to racing hard.

13 Likes

Team BürgerFahrzeug

Drivers = Paul Schuchputzer / Werner Rohrtorf

Team Deer And Hunt

For the DaH team there will be two completly diffrent approches.
For the C6 a SuperCoupe will race. The 6.5L V8 produces around 300hp and gets guided trough a 4speed to make it more driveable.
For C4 on the other hand the eco model, the “Reema” will race. It only runs on a 2L V6 but is small and nimble

The SuperCoupe will be driven by John Marshall and Samson McCally.
The Reema will be raced by Will Finkerson and Jason German.

Team Neko

For C5 Hiko Kimaza and Tai Mishinaba are going to drive this Neko Pure

7 Likes

Seabeast Motorsports LMC Scorpius and Ares

The Ares lost some of its bite with a facelift in '73, but it was the best candidate for a rally car from the LMC lineup for its smaller engine and lighter weight. The Ares would be the first rally car driven by Seabeast Motorsports since the late 50’s. The RSC4 will be entered in the C4 class in the 1973 Rally di Fruinia.

As initial sales looked grim for the expensive Scorpius, LMC opted to enter the car into motorsports to get the more out of it. Enter the RSC6. Extensively stripped and reworked to be viable off-road, the car was insufficiently tested and hastily put together to be ready in time for the 1973 Rally di Fruinia. The Scorpius would only compete in the C6 class with its modified 305 V8.

9 Likes

With Wisconsin Motors’ performance division occuppied elsewhere, Ray Lagerfelter, ex CEO of Lagerfelter Performance Engineering (LPE), has come out of retirement to organize a showing at the 1973 Rally di Fruinia. Most of our entries are actually retired racing cars, on loan for this event. In typical LPE fashion, they are throwing a wall of cars at the tech inspectors last minute. For this year’s event, Ray has eschewed professional racing drivers and hired a group of Pikeys to drive the cars. We think. We can’t really understand what they’re saying, but they seem to know the local roads. We recommend that our fellow competitors not buy a “dag” from these folks.

C6, #262 is an LPE Moccasin featuring a lightweight, multivalve V6. We’ll see if it has the power to stay with the big dogs.

C5, #658 is an LPE Van Go with a small ohv V8. Totally doomed, right? Don’t be so sure. It has two Lambo wings.

C4, #697 is a Wisconsin Motors Sparrow Hawk, powered by a flat 6 for this event.

C3, #654 is an LPE Geneva, with a “Big Block” triple and special multivalve racing head.

C2, #657 is a WM Aeromouse fitted with a 1275 Whirlwind sohc 8v engine pulled from an Issi.

C1, #659 is a WM iSSi with its Whirlwind 1275cc i4 destroked to 1150cc.

C0, #652 is another WM Aeromouse. Likely too heavy to be competitive here, but the original lore car was offered with this 750cc multivalve V8.

6 Likes

National Rally Team of Bozchia

Driver: Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz
Co-driver: Syzmon Szymankowszczyzniak

5 Likes

That names tho

Eagle Rally Team ®
We’re officially entering the competition - this time with a full roster of 7 cars. While 5 of these machines are modified standard Eagle models, the other 2 are a test for the newly established brand, EAG. It’s a sub-company that focuses mostly on high-performance tuning and modifying. EAG keeps the love for high-revving, low displacement inline engines, but abandons the “sport FWD” formula that’s characteriscic for Eagle. That’s why our C0 and C1 class cars are actually RR, not FF.
On a side note, we didn’t get enough funding for a van, so all our cars (except C4 and C6) cars were tasked with carrying all the spare parts, tires, clothes, merchandise, food, drinks and medical equipment. That’s why they look like they are starting in an endurance rally, even though this is a sprint event.

"Get me power
Get me higher"

C0, #126: EAG LET “Silverbird” 3c '73
When Fiat presented its new 126p model just a year ago, we couldn’t miss that chance to get a light and affordable RR car. Contract talks started immediately, and by the end of 1972, we had more than a hundred bodies-in-white (with much more shortly after), together with some Fiat-manufactured parts. Our engineers inmediately got to work and quickly put together a serial production of Silverbirds, using various Eagle, Fiat and Abarth parts and a 0.7L inline-3 engine from our mostly failed budget track car project, Eagle 104. While 55HP was far too little for a 900kg FF coupe, it’s just enough for the nimble, 500kg 126p/LET. For the rally variant, we’ve also upped the compression and fuel mixture to give this little beast 9HP more. While the engine is still really peaky due to high cam profile, the short gearing of the (reinforced) 4-speed stock gearbox helps in getting the Silverbird up to almost 120km/h relatively quick, which is enough for rally and amateur track use.

(major) Modifications (from production model):

• Standard rally safety equipment
  • 55HP → 64HP
  • Aftermarket “rally” suspension
  • Rally lights
  • Livery made by engineers, driver and co-driver

"Setting all the worlds afire
Energy, adrenaline"

C1, #127: EAG LET “Silverbird” 4c '73
Somebody in our engineering HQ had an idea to put a 1.1L I4 engine (also from Eagle 104) into a 500kg car. After some testing in december 1972, it became obvious that this a perfect car for the blooming professional Polish motorsport market. Shortly after that, we’ve managed to establish low-capacity serial production in early '73.
The LET 4c is a really good choice for track use, but it may suffer a bit in a rally, mostly due to its somewhat snappy steering and some wheelspin on loose surfaces. Nevertheless, it should be competitive with the right driver, especially on slow gravel (RWD helps) and fast asphalt (power helps) roads.

Modifications:

• Stripped interior
  • 75HP → 86HP
  • Eagle/Abarth rally/sport suspension
  • Rally lights
  • Livery made by engineers, driver and co-driver

"Wheelpower & go!
Squeal tires, come on!"

C6, #802: Eagle 802 “Purple Sky” '52
You know this one. After so much controversy and a very unexpected victory we couldn’t let this car be forgotten. The base model is from 1952, but it saw some upgrades in 1953, right after the Corso di Fruinia. 4x4 drivetrain was swapped for RWD, the gearbox was adjusted for higher speeds, and the 6.0L inline-6 engine was tuned for more power on both low and high revs. Due to a big demand from supercar enthusiasts, a production of 82 Eagles 802 was launched in early 1954. We sold all of them, so this is the only one we have left, and it spent almost 20 years in the corner of our assembly hall. Now is probably its last chance to get those 1-liter cylinders going at almost 100 cycles a second.
Over 500Nm and 300HP make this car more suitable for highway use (or towing tanks), but the engine is relatively easy to control on low-medium throttle, as it was in 1952.
We’re not betting on a 1400kg, $16k behemoth to win, but maybe it’ll at least prove that old doesn’t mean slow.

Modifications:

• Stripped interior
  • 333HP → 325HP
  • Adjusted suspension and body stiffness (by EAG)
  • Rally lights
  • Official livery with most of our sponsors and part manufacturers

And those are our 3 RWD cars. 4 FWDs will be introduced soon™

9 Likes

Eagle Rally Team ®
While our C0, C1 and C6 cars are all rather experimental or at least unusual, Eagle’s C2-C5 roster consists of modified serial production models, already available on the market for several years. They are also all FFs, obviously.

"A rubber fire screams into the night
I am the master of the asphalt fight"

C2, #214: Eagle 204 Rally '71
This little hatchback definitely sounds faster than it is, at least on a straight road. This is thanks to a high-revving 1.2 boxer-4 engine producing a moderate 80HP in the civilian version. While that’s not a lot, this car likes taking fast asphalt corners on full throttle, and with a bit of helpful oversteer.
For the rally variant, we adjusted the engine to produce 20HP more. Surprisingly, it still gets a good gas mileage, considering all the modifications (upped cam profile, richer fuel mixture, exhaust swap, along other minor changes). The suspension was left almost in its production state, aside from minor reinforcements. This means that the car is rather low, and thus it’s best for driving fast on smooth asphalt, rather than bumpy gravel.

Modifications:

• Stripped interior
  • 80HP → 100HP
  • Various weight reduction measures
  • Reinforced suspension
  • Rally lights
  • Official Eagle livery

This car is so mediocre
It’s hard to find a defining characteristic

C3, #203: Eagle 203 Rally '68
This is our attempt at making a car that is easy to produce in small, foreign factories - that’s why it’s currently our only model built on a spaceframe. In terms of raw performance, its 1.6 I4 engine also saw a 20HP increase to its power, much like the 1.2 B4 in Eagle 204.
This car can basically be considered to be a jack of all trades - medium power, medium class, medium suspension, medium weight, medium steering, medium everything. The only field in which is shines is probably… space taken by advertisements. But we’re still counting on it to be a reliable and dependable vehicle, and something like a benchmark for all our other cars.

Modifications:

• Stripped interior
  • Standars rally safety equipment
  • 100HP → 120HP
  • Various weight reduction measures
  • Rally suspension
  • Rally lights
  • Official Eagle livery (mostly ads)

"Do you think you can survive…
The top?"

C4, #604: Eagle 604 Rally '70
The top dog. It’s our most recent full-sport model and it shows it. A screaming inline-5 engine generating 180HP (in the rally version) speaks for itself. Basically, the 604 is quick, loud, nimble, oversteery, and it likes to spin its wheels.

Modifications (?):

• The interior is already stripped, from the factory
  • It already has (sport) safety equipment, from the factory
  • 162HP->180HP
  • It doesn’t even have wipers (weight reduction)
  • The suspension is easily raised, you guessed it, that’s also a production feature
  • Rally lights
  • We really hope it won’t rain
  • Official Eagle livery

"When its freezing, when its burning
Hold your black car, let it go far"

C5, #303: Eagle 303 Rally '65
A family wagon. But not your normal family wagon - this one’s a premium wagon, and it has a pretty comfortable suspension and a rather lazy 3.0 inline-6 engine, producing a moderate 165HP. Good for going fast on bumpy roads and hauling equipment for half of the team.

Modifications:

• Stripped interior
  • Minor engine tweaks and muffler removal
  • Fake hood scoop
  • Rally lights (not fake)
  • Official Eagle livery (no orange this time, only >>SHINY AND CHROME<<)

And that is all. On a side note, I really had a lot of fun designing and testing those cars for dozens of hours. While my triple victory from '52 is a score hard to beat, I’m still counting on most of my cars to succesfully go through the eliminations. After that I’ll just enjoy the competition regardless of the results. Thank you to everyone for participating, and especially to @Private_Miros for being the rally director. Best of luck, and I hope we’ll all meet on the main 3 stages.

8 Likes

#09 Visare Varga
Class: C5
Driver: David Godrich (UK)
Co-driver: Nigel Byrne (UK)

6 Likes

Submissions are now closed.

7 Likes

So, after looking over my entries into the Rally, all I can say is that most/all of my cars pretty much have no chance of advancing. Either I’m a genius or I’ve royally screwed myself over in the most brilliant way possible by sticking a tiny 1600-cc Mouton F6 in my overweight Primavera (when I could have used a Fauxhill L5 in a transverse layout, but Mouton was much more experienced with MR/RR cars, so Aviator just swapped in the Premier 1600 R drivetrain to save development time (and it’s better for COG)), using the not-Datsun body for my Premier in C1 (and with an expensive F6) instead of just sticking that engine in the Cherie (but that would not have been possible, as Mouton would never have stuck an F6 in a Cherie or given an engine bigger than 900 cc), not including fuel caps on either of the Moutons, and using expensive forged components with a bit of quality when I could have gone cast with +0 quality.

If I get one car through, I’ll be amazed. But good luck, everyone who makes it through qualifying; I’ll still be watching you guys (and if the '52 is any indication, this race will be very exciting to read about). However, I’ve learned a WHOLE lot about designing and building cars, and I’m actually not that ashamed of my cars.

4 Likes

That’s what I was thinking when Corso started, and Eagle got a triple class victory and a double points victory out of 4 submitted cars. I was like

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

And your cars are not understyled. Godspeed :checkered_flag:

2 Likes

If my C0 or C6 make it, it’s only because everything else has caught fire/exploded. Lol

My best chance is the Hosho.

I’ve got one chance, and that’s hoping for a miracle that the 662ci “Goliath” big block can haul the Savage around with authority. Otherwise, it’s likely getting counted out.

1 Like

You should also expect some resistance from a inline-6 muscle/supercar built more than 2 decades ago

Respect for using FWD btw

MAD respect for building pretty much a modern 1904 Christie that can actually sell, my man. I actually think that’s the most American car in the contest by a long ways (American-invented engine, American-developed drivetrain that was also used in the speedy Miller 91/Cord L-29 before Citroen were even thinking of using FWD, truly American size/weight/displacement, general American uniqueness). The only way it could be any more American is if it was using OHV and one/two four-barrel carb(s).

Whether or not that’ll be enough to beat my V12 Gatz, though…we’ll have to see.

2 Likes

Well, Sinistra’s lore was built on being FWD as early as the game would let me, but I started with SOHC as my base for everything. That said, the 464ci is dual-quad, and prior to '73, the 662 would’ve been dual-quad. But, both the 464 and the 662 are SOHC tri-valve crossplane V8’s, so they’re American made, but not quite true to the pushrod-or-death design strategy that we’ve had for many years.

As for why there’s fuel injection, well, it’s experimental on this car, but there were a limited run of Savage 662’s with the Mechanical Fuel Injection unleashed on the market, as a top-price option.

2 Likes

In the early 1970s, Inline Designs was a fledgling company making a name for itself by building high-performance racing engines for local competitions. Its success attracted the attention of two American automakers looking to make a splash at the 1973 Rally di Fruinia - Adenine Automotive and Gasril Motors.

#93 Gasril Yearling

The Inline Designs-modified Gasril Yearling followed the American tradition of stuffing a huge engine into a tiny car. The Yearling was an early American subcompact designed for cheap inline-4 engines, but Gasril offered up its 5.5L pushrod V8 from the larger Gasril Hustle and asked Inline Designs to find a way to fit it under the hood. Besides modifying the steering and suspension components to get the engine to fit, Inline Designs’s major contribution was replacing the 2-barrel carburetors with its experimental mechanical fuel injection technology. The engine, tuned for low-end grunt, produced 240hp and 338lb-ft of torque - impressive figures for a car weighing just 1120kg. 0-62 could be accomplished in 6.2 seconds. The downside? Swapping in the heavy iron-block V8 resulted in a 61/39 weight distribution.

#92 Adenine Vindicator

By comparison, the Inline Designs-modified Adenine Vindicator was unconventional in almost every way. Based on the same front-drive platform that underpinned all of Adenine’s vehicles, the Vindicator was powered by a transversely-mounted 3.5L OHC inline-6 and was known for its sleek aerodynamics and performance value. Inline Designs recast the engine block in lightweight aluminum and added its own mechanical fuel injection system. The new engine produced 169hp and 220lb-ft of torque, sending the 1033kg vehicle to 62mph in 6.7 seconds. Interestingly, the FF Vindicator matched the FR Yearling with a 61/39 weight distribution.

6 Likes

All 169 accepted entries have been processed and added to the second post of the thread.

Thank you for all those competing for the limited places of the main competition. I already know I will have to leave some great cars out.

I certainly have enough submissions, but still a bit disappointed with a number of people registering multiple numbers, but failing to even submit a single car.

In terms of cars, the most unexpected thing to me is that almost no one submitted a small displacement sports car, but nearly all went for a small passenger car in the lower classes.

Also remarkable is that more than a few basically built a race car, with next to being punished in the technical scores, doesn’t even perform well in a rally where lower and usable available power tends to be much more important (certainly in this time period, this is not the point and squirt AWD era).

Good luck to all, I’m hoping to get the largest part of the qualifications up this weekend.

12 Likes