1973 Rally di Fruinia [FINISHED]

You’ll settle with one, and imagine appropriately.

4 Likes

I’m just wondering if there’ll be any limitations (or potential realism bonuses) based on how lean we run our engines (as I’ve got all my cars running 13.5:1-14:1 AFR, possibly even leaner), as that will make a huge difference in fuel economy vs. power. I’m still getting 400 horsepower out of my C6 entry (running 13.9:1 AFR on three DCOEs, by jove), but if I must be (or get rewarded for) running my cars a little richer for the sake of realism, I wouldn’t mind doing that.

You are, cars with realistic engines gets a high technical score out of 5, cars with pure racing tunes, a low one (typically 1 if the rest makes sense, and 0 if the rest is min-maxxed as well). It’s a trade off.

(Important note: a change of carbs, and some richer fuel is perfectly accepted. I’m talking about maxxing everything, and using the best and lightest materials all over and such.)

Basically, it needs to be clear that it’s a normal engine for the car that hides behind the rally car and that is adapted to be a rally car. Rather than purpose built from the ground up.

1 Like

Can I reserve one more number, 9001

Right, because I’m also running at least one reverse-flow muffler (two on my C0 entry) on most/all of my cars for the sake of lore reasons (none of my companies like loud race cars, and Mouton often runs their tiny RR boxers purely off of back pressure), and I’m not putting my cam profiles any higher than 60 for the sake of driveability. (And because that also sucks out fuel economy hardcore.)
I might have to downgrade my C6 entry a bit to make it a bit more realistic.

I’m also wondering if automatic lockers are okay to use. After all, they might be the equivalent of the old '50s LSDs, but I’m not sure where you stand on that. They give huge acceleration bonuses and massive amounts of grip for relatively little money/PU/ET. My C6 entry runs an auto locker, and I’d be fine with taking the diff off if that means more fairness for everyone.

Four is the new three?

I’m not noticing much difference on Beam in terms of that. So I’m not taking that into account much. A small city car with one would be odd, other rally adaptations, no problem.

Don’t worry too much. Somewhat realistic is good. Just a measure to give those an equal chance to the min-maxxers.

What about swapping a moderately reasonable sports car engine into a civilian car? I had a nice 1.0 engine in one of my sports cars, but the body was too heavy for my taste (over 900kg for C1) so I installed it in a cheap city car (closer to 600kg now). Is this ok? Would that get at least 3/5pts, assuming the engine will not be considered minmaxed? (I think it’s not)

Yes, that would be along the lines of my reasoning.

I got 2 allllmost ready so I’m gonna take numbers 335, 328 for now

Direct from the Baja 1000, the Custom Republic CU 470 is a rather powerful Baja competitor, however they are unsure how it will prepare for a road-focused rally.

9 Likes

The 1970 Fuji Sabre was the brand’s first foray into the supercar world.

Powered by a conservative 2.2 liter six cylinder engine or a 4.2 liter twelve cylinder engine, the Sabre sold remarkably well in the Gasmean market due to its high power, beautiful twelve cylinder design and affordable price.

It turned out, due to the value of the Gasmean dollar and the relative handling prowess of the lanky tourer, both the V-12 and I-6 versions of the Sabre sold well. The V-12 offered power to compete with higher end muscle cars, with handling to embarrass them, and the I-6 offered pony car power and a lower price, but the same great handling.

This is the long-tail version of the Sabre V-12 Competition. It offers 371 horsepower, up from the 279 of the standard V-12 model. It’s 300 pounds lighter than the stock version. It offers aerodynamics for the circuit, and the same 15-inch magnesium wheels but on 265 mm wide tires for homologation. Stripped of safety equipment, the car weighs just 2500 lbs. With a 370 horsepower 4.2 liter naturally aspirated V12 pushing its angry horses out the side unmuffled, it’s a loud 2500, and it moves quickly, with a 0-60 time of just five and a half seconds. It’s currently undergoing testing, and judging by the number registration, it’ll be performing in the C6 class.

Fuji Sabre - 4200 S 12 Rally.car (42.1 KB)

10 Likes

Know that you need to PM me the .car file named as indicated in the rules. That you share it with others in this thread is your own business, but not a submission.

Yep, I have that. Just going over a few final things before I send it to you, including a more offroad-focused tune because it’s horrible anywhere that isn’t tarmac.

Meijer reveals cars for the 1973 Rally di Fruinia Qualifications

C0

“The 1966 Meijer Tokyo K-360 will be tackling the C0 qualifications with a small 360cc engine.”

Stock Version

The Meijer Tokyo was introduced in 1966 in Japan as a kei hatchback, its small 360cc CPI32-36 CC2-SRS engine produces 20Hp which is enough to propel the 622Kg car forward.

Rally version

The rally version of the K-360 was introduce in the year 1967 and entered many rallies since, it might not have been fast but it got there almost everytime, which was a great advertisement for the car of course. This particular rally version is the most recent 1973 update which produces 2Hp more than the original and weights 69Kg less.

Driver and Co-driver

The #836 Tokyo will be driven by Kira Shoji (27) and his co-driver and wife, Yuugi Shoji (26).

C1

“Bigger is better, the 1966 Meijer Tokyo Europe will blast everyone away with itss 1099cc engine.”

Stock version

The stock version of the Tokyo Europe doesn’t look any different from a K-360 but under the hood it’s an entirely different car. Under the hood lies a 1099cc version of the 1965 Meijer Hakone SSi’s COI43-12 SSi-12 which produces 61Hp. The rest of the car is practically the same except for some handling related things in order to reduce manufacturing costs.

Rally Version

Just like the #836 K-360 the #811 Europe has been in the rally world since 1967 except this car has occasionally won some rallies like the ‘Hondsrug Stratenrally’ in 1967.

Driver and Co-driver

The Europe will be driven by Kyoko Yamazaki (26) and her co-driver Ferdinand Schmitt (34), the combo that also won the 1967 ‘Hondsrug Stratenrally’.

C2

“The Hakone is ready to fight off the opposition with all of its 1199cc glory.”

Stock Version

The 1965 Hakone SSi was developed to be a relatively small sports sedan, hence the name: ‘Sports Sedan inline’. It pack a 1199cc version of the previously mentioned COI43-12 SSi-12 which produces 5Hp more in the Hakone than in the Tokyo Europe.

Rally Version

Meijer was lucky enough to be able to push this car out of the factory before all of the new rally seasons started or otherwise we would have never seen the amazing action shots of this car. The SSI was quite competitive during the 1965, 1966 and 1967 rally seasons even though it never reached the highest spots.

Driver and Co-driver
John Chase (33) and Pièrre Boucher (26) will be piloting this sporty little sedan during the 1973 Rally di Fruinia with number #812.

C3

“A car infused with Italian blood and with rich racing history, you can’t get any better than that.”

Stock Version

The 1971 Azure 1399cc is the 3rd generation in the Azure family and this time it’s better than ever.
In 1968 Lancia and Meijer started a collaboration project, it was to find the ultimate rally formula. There were 2 cars being developed: the Monte Carlo Turbo (which turned out horrible) and the Azure, both went pretty rough which eventually resulted in them breaking up in early 1973. Lancia further developed (and with developed I mean redesigning the body and dropping in a Ferrari engine) the Azure into the Stratos and Meijer dropped in an experimental 1399cc for the homage model and a 3500cc V6 for the Turin model.

Rally Version

The rally version of the car is pretty much untested and therefore no one can predict how it will perform.

Driver and Co-driver

The driver and co-driver are no other than Alfred Meijer (27) and Egbert Prins (26), the son of the driver of the 1952 Corsa di Fruinia and a bloke that is a decent navigator.

C4

“Smells just like the cherry blossom trees on the mountains.”

Stock Version

The 1972 Sakura SI44 was designed by the European department and developed by the Japanese department in order to create the ultimate sports sedan and they succeeded to a certain extend. The CFO44-20 SI44 produces around 131Hp and propels this 1072kg car up to a speed of 181km/h, and when you get to the corner you can simply chose for the straight forward approach or a cheeky little drift due to its more lively than usual rear end.

Rally Version

One of Meijers newest rally models, it has run a few open events but this will be the first real test for the Sakura SI44.

Driver and co-driver

The Finnish duo Juho Mäkinen (36) and Juuso Järvinen (34) have been promoted from the C2 class Hakone to the Sakura #820 for this rally but this shouldn’t be a hard job for them, they’re Finnish after all.

C5

“Please send this thing to the scrapyard”

After a lot of reliability issues with the SI64 the whole C5 project was canceled and sadly the driver and co-driver Johnathan Walker (36) and Henry Lewis (34) had to stay in the reserve seats.

C6

“The embodiment of passion”

Stock Version

(see C3 for the background information)

Rally Version

Just like the #813 Azure the #835 Azure Turin had never been properly tested and therefore this is it’s first real rally test.

Driver and co-driver
Maurizio Russo (36) and Caesar Ricca (36) will be piloting this italian fury with an equally italian and equally furious style.

4 Likes

Going to grab #315, #318, #320, #325, #340.

Almost have all the cars ready.

Well, actually, #78’s up for grabs, I’m just gonna use #42.

BIG DEAL FOR PRIVATELY OWNED TEAMS LOOKING FOR CAR TO USE IN THE 1973 RALLY DI FRUINIA!

Hello, there! I’m Jeremy Wellsworth, CEO of Benson and Yard. We’ve decided that we’re gonna let some privately owned teams buy 2 of our Benson Baysides, for stellar prices!

Ok, here’s the first one, it’s a 1972 Benson Bayside 1.6 LD, for just $5499:(SOLD)

And here’s our second car, it’s a 1971 Bayside Special! For just $5079:

If you are interested, please contact me and we’ll strike a deal! (PM me for .car file).

From, Jeremy Wellsworth, CEO of Benson and Yard, October 12th, 1973.

9 Likes

Just to note that the car you entered in C6 is a C5 car. It would not be eligible to run in C6. Since you have no car in C5, that’s fine.

Does that mean that my C6 car will run in C5? And do I need to make some modifications to make it fit within the C5 rules?

No, it fits within C5 rules only… Nothing about it is eligible for C6 :smiley:

• engine size is 3500 (C6 is 3501+)
  • weight is under the C6 allowed threshold
  • wheel sizes are C5 regulation size