1973 Rally di Fruinia [FINISHED]

I really hope to see better from the CMV’s

c3 I did note it feels on the verge of breaking loose, while the c4 I simply noted down as “floaty”.

Or be like me, not have Beam.NG, and just pee into the wind…

1 Like

I don’t want to know how bad/good my entry is, just give me some keywords so I know what to somehow expect when C5 results are out.

I forgot to tune/brake the suspension of my C2 car…
But you can you explain what you aiming for a good budget?

But i’m pleased to know that my car was fast…

Another wall of text - this time, a bit more Frenchy

Back at the pits, Pierre Mouton stared down at the results from the C0 qualifying through his half-moon glasses. Even though his hair was greying (and balding, for that matter), he felt a wave of almost-youthful joy when he saw his daughter’s little Cherie at the top of C0. ‘Old #291’ was getting on to six years old, but with the new four-valve engine in the back and Amelie’s excellent driving, it was far from outdated.

It had even trounced Bogliq Japan’s little Fanatic - a feat that Pierre had imagined all but unreachable when he had been planning the updated 750 R for the '73 season. John’s fine styling of the Cherie had not only secured the French company a sizable share of the Fruinian market, but it also had won the approval of the Rally judges so much that not even the poor technical coherence scores could give Bogliq their needed advantage. To the Inferno with tech scores, he thought; clearly, none of these judges understood the advantages that their new four-valve engines had over the old two-valve fours.

He laughed at the thought of Suzume having tried to qualify a kei car David amongst the 750-cc Goliaths - they might as well have gone home on the first day. WM’s little HDV8 hatch, though, had him a bit worried - it had qualified third overall, and even though it was heavier than a lot of the cars in the field and was using an engine that made the W7/4R look like a pre-war flathead, it could be enough to scare the Cherie and Fanatic. If it made it to the finish, that is.

His tranquility was broken with the sound of a familiar flat-6 revving towards him. Of course, Mouton’s new rally drivers had to choose the more powerful Premier - although that was understandable coming from an American with experience driving big Ford V8s. The bigger hatchback zoomed through pit lane and screeched to a halt in front of Pierre, who almost dropped the results on the ground as the Premier stopped mere centimeters in front of him.

“Why don’t you watch where you’re going next time, Alex?” Pierre yelled.

“Sorry 'bout that, boss,” Alex said as he and Tom stepped out of the hatchback, both donned in suits of Mouton’s famous racing purple, “but we just got back from practice an’…”

“Did we beat Bogliq in the standings?”

“Oh, yeah, by 'bout a country mile. Their Fanatic barely squeaked into eighth - almost became a wildcard entry.”

Perfect - one of their their main rivals in the Fruinian market was already struggling to beat their ‘overweight’ Premier with a car the size of the Cherie. “And how about Suzume?” Pierre asked. “Did their plan of undersizing their engines work out for them?”

Tom gave a mild snort at the suggestion that any under-max-displacement car could possibly match the top runners. However, he curiously regained herself as he remembered where he and Alex had qualified. “Nope, they’re out, as well. Fourth slowest and third-to-last in the points standings.”

“Excellent. Now, I heard you were only able to wrangle third place out of the Premier, and that we’re twelve points behind these Hugi-Anhultz people. Are you sure you and your friend don’t want to go back to driving big American cars?”

“Oh, no, we actually were fast in them stage times and, o’ course, John’s stylin’ helped us get third, but…”

“What?”

“Look, we don’t mean to discredit all the the time and effort that you and John took to build the new four-valve engines,” Tom said, his face contorting into a worried expression, “but your super-complicated flat engines aren’t exactly all that…shall we say…‘ordinary’ for a regular production car. They go like stink, sure, but they aren’t winning over the approval of the judges. We’re losing points in tech standings - but not as much as Tiny, so I’ve heard.”

“Well, even if our cars might be a bit too complex for the judges…we now know that they’re fast. And speed in what we’ll need if we’re going to trounce the competition.”

Gratz to @Nicking_HC and @Elizipeazie for taking the W in qualifying by such a large margin in C1, and to @Elektrycerz for winning C1 qualifying.

(I’m still beating Bogliq, though (if only barely in C0 and C2), and I’m surprised to see Znooresk barely znoozing past being a wildcard. I expected the Z112 to come along and trounce everybody, as Norman’s the king of cheap cars - but that was not to be.)

However, I’m not liking the outlook that my companies have - 1st in C0 for the Cherie, 3rd in C1 for the Premier, and 5th in C2 for the Ronolit E. If this decline keeps up, all my entries from C4 above will either scrape through as wildcards or not even make it through to the finals. But I already have three cars in - and that’s much, much better than I was expecting when I started building my cars.

Looking forward to seeing what made the Ronolit “worse” than the two Moutons, despite being a pretty mundane T-FWD hatchback compared to the wild RR boxer-powered Frenchmobiles.

5 Likes

Then I’m glad I didn’t quit now! :grin:

Remember the Wentworth Womble? Yeah, I didn’t want you to have to suffer through that twice! :laughing:

I apologise if any of my cars came across like this. I went full lore building and wanted to add juicy details like rare DOHC head swaps for future roleplay purposes! :wink:

My cars, and lore, talk the talk, but rarely walk the walk, :laughing:

You know you’re really doing well when you beat Znopresk and Gryphon Gear, but thanks for showing Bogliq a little bit of love… :star_struck::laughing:

Hey! I’m starting to see a pattern here… Bogliqs aren’t as competitive as they should be! :thinking::wink::laughing:

4 Likes

In terms of budget, I just took the average of the class, and a added or deducted points for every 10% under or over a specific car was.

Anhultz Modularity is THE way to go!

you have proof in C1, and you will see more in C3 :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Understood…

I’m still learning about those challenges, but i’m having a great time doing those cars.

Thanks…

Any chance that you have recorded my car’s lap? I’m curious…

1 Like

Well, Bogliq has managed to sneak three of their cars into qualifying status, each into its respective category, with one in 2nd place. 3 qualifications out of 3 attempts is far from bad!

Not treating Bogliq as equals here is the real bad thing to do… :wink:

1 Like

Meanwhile I only entered one car in one of the most competitives categories and there are some cars from the inferior category that are more powerful

4 Likes

And then there is me who only ever submitted a 90hp Taxi in the 2nd fastest class. And a Van in the fastest.

Inferior? Usually the middle categories are the fastest.

when there’s no AWD at least

Power means nothing without a proper suspension tuning… and that was my biggest mistake in this event, I forgot to tuning and test the suspension of my car…
Next time I’ll remeber and do several tests…

i do the same in Rally of Fruinia 1952…my poor car had an accident…and destroyed :open_mouth: …in this event i hope go better!

Oh, I’m fairly sure the Savage in C6 won’t do all that well, but I had fun putting it in there.

1 Like

May I ask you how all of my cars to this point drove?

C0 and C1: too slow and very rough ride
C2: very light steering for some reason, almost no road feel.

C0 was kinda expected with it’s 360cc engine and maybe I haven’t gotten everything out of the engine for the C1 car, C2 might be light on the steering because I have to rely only on the graphs resulting in cars that are good on paper but not in reality.
Thank you for your feedback, it will probably be useful for my cars in the future.