Right, so, been a bit longer than I expected to update this because of course, nothing is simple.
First the happy bits - as it was that time of year again, I was doing the charity runs with it. One was at a local classic car show offering rides through the countryside, the other was again blasting round a racetrack. As I said last year, the charity rides round the track especially is one of the best car events I’ve taken part in. Once again, the 2CV was er, the odd one out shall we say.
While the day is obviously not a race and overtaking isn’t allowed, I tend to be the exception and shift out of people’s way - it’s still slightly terrifying having a beefed up Lamborghini Huracan come up behind you doing triple the speed you are. I did manage to get a couple of videos I did of warm up laps with no passengers in, so I will upload those when I get chance. I say warm-up laps, what I actually mean was I was totally on the limit desperately trying to keep up with the 911 Turbo infront of me.
Now for the cack bit. As I posted above, MOT was up on the 31st August. I’d had the welding done on that door hinge panel I knew it needed, and hoped that greasing the kingpins would sort out the play it’s had as an advisory the last couple of years.
Not this time.
The brake was the most pressing issue - it’s had a fair oil leak on that side of the engine since I got it that I’d never been able to find in any of the usual places, but I’d been feeling a slight pull to the left which was confirmed when this came up. Accidental lubing of brake discs is not ideal, as you might imagine.
At this point I was about ready to give up, I’d checked or replaced the common places for oil leaks over the time I’d had the car and it was still there, and everyone was telling me how much of a bugger changing a kingpin was, with multiple garages totally refusing to do the job and the closest 2CV specialist too busy to do it until mid September. The kingpin was awkward, but the oil on the brake dangerous. When I got it home, despite losing daylight, I got annoyed and pulled the wings off on the road outside my house and started trying to find this oil leak in the dark. Put new Rocker cover gaskets on - still a leak. Jiggled pushrod tube seals - still a leak. Nothing was improving so I went mental spraying carb cleaner on the oil caked engine trying to clean it up. This at least let me see it was running down from somewhere near the front, down the side and being blown back all over the place at speed.
The only thing I’d never looked at I’ve highlighted below:
This is the end cap that sits over the oil pressure relief valve. It was tight, but I was desperate, so I managed to get it round another quarter of a turn or so. Washed the brakes and took it out for a run, expecting nothing. Came back and got the torch out - no oil leaks. Ran it round again - no oil leaks. The whole time I’d had this car, the sodding oil leak had been this cap not being quite tight enough. No matter, the car was safe again, just the kingpin to do.
It took me a while to get the parts as there were a few 2CV events on close together, so the parts places were shut. I missed the boat of the 31st August to get the MOT done, and when I actually got down to the job ended up spending longer getting access to the kingpin than getting it out. Someone had done it previously and when they’d peened the top and bottom caps, they had really gone for it with the hammer and mashed them over. An afternoon was spent with the Dremel getting access to it, and once I got there I’d tried to build a little press as detailed in the Haynes manual for the car. Unfortunately I chose to use B&Q as the source of my threaded rod and nuts, and they may as well have been made from Dairy Milk and just chewed up. Fortunately, i was saved by a friend that lived locally who offered to lend me this set of lovely drifts that are machined specifcally for doing 2CV kingpin changes.
These made the job super easy, I had the old pin and bushes out in a few minutes, and the new ones fitted even quicker. It was easy to see which end of the kingpin was damaged.
By the looks of it, when the job was done in the past the top bush hadn’t been located properly in the swivel hub, this was allowing dirt to get in and when I took the bush out, it had worn into a funny shape on the inside and was very thin in places.
So, with the kingpin replaced, the oil leak fixed, the brakes washed down and some prayers made to the automotive gods, I took it back for MOT take 2.
Not even a single advisory, most modern stuff can’t manage that.
I’ve got one or two end of season shows I’m going to try and get it to over the coming weeks, and then I’ll make a decision as to whether it will be staying with me or not.