1991 Great Archanean Trek [FINAL RESULTS]

This is the Scarab Flare RX24 in OffRoad guise, with shortened front and rear for better OffRoad driving and a engine trim focused on lowend torque rather than top speed and power.

Made By Scandinavian Car and Racing AB it is driven by John Andersen and Copiloted by Eric Olson, the seasoned factory team.

It’s their first foray into endurance racing and hopes to at least finish the trek.

8 Likes

Seeing the table of participants - two cars are allowed? I am still unsure between a light coupe with offroad tuning and a light truck.

But then we will be penalised by bad drivability wont we?

Looking for a suitable car for this year's Great Archanean Trek?

tB1XNC5Xn4e5aDYjy81hvg_r
Picture of a 1991 ORA 420 Milita, not the G.A.T Setup.

Look no further.

Welcome, to the faithful servant to the Romanian military, the ORA 420, that just so happens to be the perfect candidate for the 1991 Trek!

The perfect vehicle for this competition, the 1991 ORA 420 surprised us at just how well the 420 was prepared for this event. It was almost rule-for-rule.

So, with minimal changes, comes the 420 G.A.T Setup! We have made sure it meets every single one of the general rules and Offroad-specific rules! (If you want to race in the truck class, just make the 420 heavier). This is all available to YOU right now!

One thing to keep in mind:

Please keep the ‘ORA’ logo on the windows, just for sponsorship purposes. Having said that, other sponsors are welcome.

If you are interested, please contact our Motorsports Division (PM me).

Best wishes to all amateur teams,
Cornel Comeaga, Head of ORA Motorsports Division

6 Likes

As stated in the rules, each user can submit a maximum of two buggies, one offroader, and one truck.

My challenges transcend Automation stats (apart from reliability, service costs, and no unreasonable and unexplained quality spam). You are free to go for good drivability on paper. But a gearbox that doesn’t stall on steep hills and gives you go in the sand in BeamNG might be more important.

1 Like

I’ve reviewed that decision. Small light trucks are allowed as well in the offroad category.

1 Like

GemTrek Factory Team

In 1969 GMI released the 221, a small rear engined peoples car. Featuring an economic and reliable 1.2 flat 4 and a 4 speed manual the car took off selling by the millions world wide. With 60 Hp it wasn’t slow for it’s class either, managing to pick up a vast community of custom parts to make them faster and more suitable for racing.

After production seized in 1983 to make way for GMI’s 750cc hot hatch, a few surfers in california who were also Baja fans decided to start reproducing the 221. However, it wasn’t the same as the original. The new body’s were fibre glass allowing a lighter construction, and a new space frame chassis with better suspension was developed to allow for better performance on lose surfaces and more importantly on the dunes.

Furthermore the 1.2 flat 4 was stroked out to 1.4 with alloy heads to reduce weight, a new cam for better high end performance, race headers and finally an EFI system developed in house by GemTrek. The result was a performance race buggy called the GemTrek RFX 1.4, that was easy to slide on dirt whilst remaining controlled and fast - ready to take on the Great Archanean Trek of '91.

For those who’d like it, maybe for conversion into a buggy or just for fun, here is the GMI 221:
GMI 221 - S1 1.2.car (30.0 KB)

I won’t be giving away the GemTrek tho, I’m selfish like that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Does it happen to anyone else, when you select 4x4 the power distribution goes to 100% in rear automaticly

That’s how the game calculates 4x4, as in reality for normal driving in a 4x4 you would disconnect the front drive making the vehicle rear wheel drive and then engaging the front drive when extra traction is needed. This is why Private Miros recommended to ignore the wheel-spin messages the game throws at you.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the help should have read that more carefully

Correct. But for AWD you can manage the permanent power distribution. Don’t forget it there.

Meijer (NED) is prepared to take on the rough terrain

Buggy class

1991 Meijer Woestijnrat

Pilot: Geralt Bauer (GER)
Co-pilot: Dieter Maler (GER)

The Meijer Woestijnrat is a purpose build offroader with vague resemblance to the Meijer Tokyo. The engine is a basic 1600cc I4 with overhead cam with a focus on torque. The car is heavily equipped with tools, spare parts and fuel cans which can be used in case of emergency.

Offroader

1946 Meijer Type 1 1991 Update

Pilot: Ferdinand van Oosten (NED)
Co-Pilot: Willem de Jong (NED)

The Meijer Type 1 was produced after the war as a car to get the company back up and running. The chassis were based upon Willy’s Jeeps and VW Kübelwagens, the engines however were taken from their own tractors.

This one was used in many offroad events in the 40’s and 50’s, somewhere in 1962 the car broke down mid race and was later abandoned. 10 years later Harold van Oosten found the car and restored it. After restoration he and his son Ferdinand started racing it in offroad events.
After gaining recognition from the Meijer Motorsport Branch it was officially listed as a Meijer car in racing events

Unfortunately, Harold pasted away in 1980 in a factory incident. Ferdinand found a new Co-pilot and has raced ever for the team ever since.

Truck class

1991 Meijer Dalton (USP)

Pilot: Mary Greengarden (US)
Co-pilot: Harold McMuffin (Can)

This vehicle is a heavily modified US-Spec Meijer Dalton. Like the Woestijnrat it’s equipped with many tools and reserves, this van is also home to an advanced radio-communication system (cause why not).

3 Likes

CMT hasn’t much time to develop race vehicles, so they will only show up with an offroad car.
The Canyonero 1-ton-pickup was never designed for hard offroad or heavy duty, so neither is the 2-door-Jeep variant, produced in a limited amount of 5.000 units in 1991. Independent front suspension and a monocoque wont help the car in professional use, although it should be still tough enough for the trek challenge. Its light and nimble handling is nearlly as good as a road car.
Instead using the rather modern 2.5L 5-cylinder engine featured in LE, LS and LT, it uses a 3.0L V6 with an older and simpler design.

It follows every rule of the challenge and should be well balanced between economical and strong and tough and light. It is fully road-legal in all areas.

The car will be submitted after I have adapted the name to the challenge.

3 Likes

The 1977 Jidosha Kogaku Kanbinette Was considered a failure on it’s debut, having lackluster power, and a dated suspension design… However, a Rally driver and some of his less racing inclined friends saw a used one as the “Perfect platform” for a Dakkar style race. It now features Double whishbone front suspension, shorter rear-end gearing, and 4x4 from one of Jidosha K’s, Pickups that used the same 2.5 Liter i6.

Ironically, the Driver is fluent in only Japanese, And the Co-Driver happens to only speak Korean well, Luckily, they do share English (if a bit broken) between them.

And here is the Team Support Truck, the Jidosha Kogaku JHL-V, Originally designed for Rural S&R, forest firefighting, and simillar applications, The team figured that it would be ready for the Dakkar without modification, and purchased one new from (everyones favorite) Jidosha K.

Here’s both .CAR files if you want to mess around with them or see the Specs.
1991TREK-Caligo - Jidosha Kogaku - Kanbinette I6(z).car (39.4 KB)
1991TREK-Caligo - Jidosha Kogaku - JHL-V.car (46.3 KB)

7 Likes

That rally car looks nice. Very nice copy of some old Subayotabishi design.

copy? I erm… Alright, I didn’t use any reference work when i made it, but say as you will…

Copys can also be unintentionally and not meant in the way of stealing a certain design. This was no insult as I mean that if I think of a 1979 japanese sports coupe, it would look more or less like your car. You made really a lot cool stuff with the Manta body for the Kogaku.

yep, the idea is pretty cut and basic, Japanese, and akin to something like a FB Rx-7 or a 180SX.
So yeah, i guess it is a copy in the sense of its just “put all the japanese status quo’s” on one car lmao.

EDIT: Made some changes, so got a new picture. Also, combined with my off-road vehicle post just to consolidate things.
BUGGY:
For the first time Alkaev Auto Industries (AAI, USA) has entered into a long range endurance off-road race. Their motorsports teams have usually kept to traditionally rally racing or touring cars. However, they have decided to create a one-off modified version of a model of theirs that flopped in the early 1980’s, since they had plenty of intact specimens to tinker with. Thus, AAI presents El Buggo, their entry into the Buggy class.

This originally was something they had designed for the Australian market but had lost out in sales to their competitors, and had barely done any better in the USA. The naturally-aspirated 4.2L V8 was bored out to 4.5L and re-engineered, featuring a new aluminum block and headers; the latter which had been upgraded to three valves per cylinder. Loud and powerful, AAI hopes to use its relatively good power to weight ratio to gain an edge, along with their in-house designed 4x4 system–another first for AAI.

The driver is Noah Møller (Danish, 20), who has had moderate success. While he has no big wins he has proven reasonably consistent in other events. The co-driver and navigator is Mikhail Alkaev (American, 25). A third generation Russian-American and nephew to the current owner of AAI. For them both, this is their first attempt at the Great Archanean Trek.

OFFROAD:

The Trotter is a custom made vehicle sponsored by Alkaev Auto Industries (AAI). It is made from a hybrid of portions of a light truck consisting of some of its frame, suspension, and 4x4 system mated to the chassis and body of a hatchback; both taken from AAI model vehicles. Besides the intensive chassis and suspension work, the 2.7L I4 block was custom made with rather bizarre proportions to ensure it fit as much displacement into the already small engine bay. It was also turbo charged to assist with low end torque. The weight savings were not as much as expected, with the Trotter weighing in just under 1400 kg. Still, with its punchy amount of torque and short wheelbase, the AAI sponsored team hopes to make do.

The driver is Louis Lecuyer (France, 20), with Braden Burns (Ireland, 26) as the co-driver.

Files are below:

1991TrekOffroad-SuperLemonade - Alkaev Trotter.car (34.1 KB)

1991TREK-SuperLemonade - El Buggo.car (39.8 KB)

3 Likes

The experienced rally driver Walter Groehl (D) and his even more experienced co-driver Fred Burnside (USA) are ready to take part. The car has just been driven to approval.

4 Likes