Home | Wiki | Discord | Dev Stream | YouTube | Archived Forums | Contact

1991 Renault Clio 16V

Oh, hello there mr.box. Would you like to be paired with a new car? Yes, yes you would.

So, found a box thanks to my friend (LS) and his family. Taken from a late 90s Laguna or Mégane (can’t remember lol). It’s slightly reinforced, too. 200€, not bad.

Anyways, this one should fit, as all Lagunas/Méganes with an aluminium oil pan have similar attachments. I’ve started working on it already, but it’s going to take a while nevertheless. With luck, I’ll be able to drive it a bit over a week from now.

Nothing else to report, really.

Except uhh subscribe to BaE

Hello, am alive.

Also slight ramble warning, sleepy brain rn

Haven’t got the old box out yet, but it’s close. There’s a lot of stuff to take out before I could even touch it. Hoses, wires, metal… stuff. Lots of stuff. Even the subframe needs to be taken off at least partially.

Anyhow, here’s a few (bad) pics

I haven’t shown you guys the engine, so here you go. It’s missing a few bits from the right of the pic and there’s a bit of a mess overall :stuck_out_tongue:

Bonnet left the server, since it opens the wrong way round. Got a lot more space to work with by taking it off.

And here’s my old air filter. It looks homemade… and it probably is. There’s a hole, so it’ll be replaced too.

Some other stuff will be made as well, maybe an oil change and fixing a coolant leak. It’s leaking from a sensor of some kind on the side of the radiator, maybe the water temp sensor.

Why is it taking a long time? Well, I’m inexperienced. I’ve never done anything of this scale except in MSC :grin: But hey, there’s only one way to get better: doing the thing.

Oh and the old gearbox oil. It was interesting to say the least. Best way to experience it yourself would be:
-Go to automation
-Paint car
-Black paint
-RAM THAT DAMN FLAKE SETTING TO THE ATMOSPHERE
Yeah, lots of metallic flake in that oil. Haven’t got a pic currently.

With that, signing off for today I guess.

Haha I lied here’s some more text

Okay now I’ll be going bye

Alright, the old box is out and the new one is in. Turns out that they weren’t identical after all.

No worries though. There are only two differences that make the operation harder. First one is the bolt placement as seen on the picture. A friend (not LS this time, I have other ones too :stuck_out_tongue:) made a metal plate thingy to make the new one fit.

The second one is harder. The donor car read its speed from the ABS-sensor. My car reads the speed from a spinny boi that’s in the gearbox. It’s probably easy to guess that the new box doesn’t have the spinny boi. This means that the speedo won’t work and no mileao won’t be added. This also means that it won’t pass the inspection which is in… 2 months.

Crap.

I have a plan though. I’ll bolt a shitty aftermarket speedo on to the dashboard that reads the speed with GPS. It’ll look awful and I’ll hate it but it’ll work. Probably.

Now I just have to remember which bolts go where, curse and shout and I’ll have a mostly working car on my hands!

Oh, and I partly disassembled the old box.

I witnessed some horrors.

(No pic because I’m a jackass)

Cough. It’s like someone shoved some metal wires through the oil filler plug and the gears crushed them to long, slender bits and the bits curled up into a ball.

Surprisingly, most of the gears were fine. Sure, they were worn, but not bad for a box that has been driven 350kkm… Assuming that it is the original box. A few gears however… They were dead. Just dead. Ok, maybe not that dead but pretty dead nevertheless. It’s still repairable though. Not by me, but some expert.

I guess that’s all for now.

GUESS WHO’S BACK?

Wroom.

Yes, it works! Feels so good to be driving my own car after such a long time.

Some notes:

• Couldn’t find a big enough air filter, so the old one is staying on for the time being.
  • My phone and a some kind of app is now being used as the speedo
  • The trunk is filthy lol
    • Actually, the whole interior is riddled with beer cans and other fluid containers necessary in the job
  • Some bolts got left over and I don’t know where to put them (jk, I generally know where they’d go, but they’re useless atm because of the differences in the gearboxes)
  • Something else that I probably forgot

You may notice that I’ve got a bit of a high from all of this… I’m rambling lol

Next up: the inspection.

Shit.

Two months until that though, so no too much worries.

Here’s a pic of the moving boi too I guess

Wow, low light conditions really screw up phone camera quality. The video was blocky too, dammit :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, I’m pleased with these developments. Bye!

Oh la la! Le baguette sportif is back!

Hey.

The clutch’s slipping again.

Oil in the bell housing.

Probably engine oil.

Problem was not apparent with the old box.

I do not know for sure where the oil is coming from.

100% drivable. During hard acceleration on higher gears it may slip.

Need to locate oil leak. Then spray 5 liters of brake cleaner to the housing.

With luck, it’ll work.

I’m mentally prepared to change the clutch again.

Chech the crank retainer

Hello again boyos

The Clio is still going strong, nothing too bad to report. I got it inspected about an hour ago and it failed.

Were you surprised? I wasn’t.

What’s wrong then? Well, the main problem is the decatted exhaust. The emissions are too high. I just have to jam a cat in there and it should be good, I can probably borrow one from a certain Previa, which still doesn’t have a thread here @LS-Vehicles, dammit

The hand brake needs to be tensioned… Again, I’ve already done it twice. The high beam switch isn’t up to standards either and a light bulb was out.

That’s it, not too bad. They didn’t care about a lot of stuff that’s wrong including:

• phone as a speedo
  • shitty, badly worn m+s tires
  • knocking driveshaft
  • shattered, taped over fog light
  • oil leaks, which are both an environmental and a safety hazard
  • exhaust noise (probably not enough decibels to be considered criminal)
  • badly made rust repair on the bottom
  • possibility to spontaneously combust (hot unshielded exhaust runs below the gas tank)

And of course most importantly

• bad taste

I’d say I got off easily.

I’ve got a month to repair the things, won’t be too bad as long as I get the parts in time.

Here’s a pic too:

Got the bad boy re-inspected and you know what?

Pass with flying colours comrade!

Checklist:

• bought a cat for 100€ and shoved it between the pipe sections
  • changed the light/blinker switch
  • tensioned the handbrake

Ez pez. Now I shall park it in the garage and not drive it for a year.

No, really. This is no joke. Conscription fam :stuck_out_tongue:

Also the exhaust tip is even longer than before because the cat was slightly longer than the pipe section it replaced.