1995 Budget Sports Car Challenge [Finished]

Welcome everyone to my next challenge! This time it’s about building an affordable sports car that looks good and performs well.

Inspirations:

Nissan 240SX

Mazda MX-5

Toyota Celica

Honda Prelude

Rules:
  • Year: 1995
  • Body type: 2-door coupe or convertible
  • price: between 20.000$ and 25.000$
  • Engine: 4 or 6 cylinders
  • maximum engine capacity: 2.5L
  • turbos allowed if engine size is under 2000cc
  • no race intake/exhaust
  • Premium fuel (95 RON)
  • must have a cat and at least 1 muffler
  • 0% engine stress
  • no semi-slicks
  • max. tire width 225mm
  • max. rim size 16"
  • Must have at least 2 full seats
  • Must have standard interior (or better)
  • Must have standard entertainment (or better)
  • Must have standard 90s safety (or better)
  • quality sliders: -5 to +5 allowed anywhere you want

Judging criteria:

• Exterior Styling
  • Performance in BeamNG (Tracks: Hakone Nanamagiri, Hirochi Race Way Short Circuit, Glow City Neon Course)

Scoring:
Each car will get a 1-10 rating for its styling
For the races, first 10 places will get points (1st place = 10 points, 10th place = 1 point, 11th place or worse = 0 points)

Overall score = (Styling Score * 2) + Race 1 score + Race 2 score + Race 3 score
This is because without multiplying the styling score by 2, there would only be 40 points possible overall, and someone who wins all 3 races but only gets 3 points for the styling would still probably win overall even though a car like that would not sell very well in real life. Sports cars are meant to not only drive well but also look good in my opinion. With this formula, a car that comes 3rd in all 3 races but gets a 9/10 for styling (42 points total) would win versus a car that wins all 3 races but only gets a 3/10 for styling (36 points total) which I believe is more representative of how it would play out in real life in terms of car sales.

If this was too much text to read through, I also made a Youtube video about the rules: 1995 Budget Sports Car Challenge (BSCC) - YouTube

Like last time, submit your car (one submission per player) via the “community-challenge-files” subchannel on my discord: Tom Henks Chillout

Deadline: August 1st, 2021 at 6pm CEST
Race 1: August 1st, 2021 at 6pm CEST
Race 2: August 7th, 2021 at 6pm CEST
Race 3: August 8th, 2021 at 6pm CEST
The races will be streamed on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEazrZkjQcCxLaMmj79c62Q

4 Likes

Are there any restrictions on engine placement and drive type?

Also, the presence of quality slider restrictions might explain why there are no PU/ET limits anywhere, and I suspect there is no minimum comfort or safety value requirement due to standard interior, entertainment, and 90s safety (or better) all being mandatory.

Anyway, this tournament is a great sequel to your previous Discord challenge.

No restrictions regarding engine placement and drive type. You can go mid-engined AWD if you so desire, but it’s probably going to be tough to fit that into the budget if you also want a decently powerful engine and reasonably light chassis.

Indeed, no PU/ET restrictions, since I think the existing regulations in combination with the price limit should make for a fair competition

Are we allowed to use Forged internals?

yes

So, do the AI drive the cars, do you get random players to drive them, do the creators drive them?
What tracks are you going to use?

The creators submit the cars and I drive them one by one against the clock. As mentioned in the OP, the tracks are Hakeno Nanamagiri (from the EBL2 challenge, available in Beam as a mod), Hirochi Raceway Short Circuit and Glow City Neon Course.

2 Likes

1995 Schnell D4 Coupe Mk1 (T30)

It has a 2.0L Inline-4 Cylinder engine making the 186HP that comes with 16 Valves, It weighs 1178KG, really light for its kind, Top speed being 149MPH, 100Kmh to 0 being 33.8m. It also has a functional spoiler making 91KG of downforce, plenty for the track. It’s paired to a 5-speed gearbox. It has aluminium panels, a Rear-wheel drive drivetrain, being a tradition among most Schnell models. 56/44 Weight distribution.

4 Likes

Given how turbos work (and how cheap they are), wouldn’t any 2l turbo blow any 2.5l N/A engine straight out of the water, all things equal?

Any rules about engine stress?

You can get a lot of power out of a 2.0L turbo engine but remember that at the end of the day, it needs to perform well and too much turbo lag is not great for performance. No engine stress, as these are production cars and not race cars.

Yeah it came like this from factory officer
No i dont know why its so loud

Factory challenge series car

Zephorus GTA

B4TT 315hp
RWD 5 Spd Manual

9 Likes

When you’re doing the time trials, what control method will you race with (keyboard, controller, wheel, etc?)

Also, do you have the link for the Hakeno Nanamagiri track mod so I can test out designs?

And what naming scheme should we follow?

nvm

I’m using a controller.

Here is the Hakone Nanamagiri track (you can also just download it inside BeamNG if you go to your Mods repository): https://www.beamng.com/resources/hakone-nanamagari.14731/
The time trial for it is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YmtRkP0ztXAlRNY_Cvj9_rdoROOxpOED/view

There is no naming scheme. I will keep a spreadsheet open on my second monitor while I’m streaming so I know who sent which car and to keep track of how each car performed.

2 Likes

Is 2.5L equal to 2500cc, then?

yes, 2.5L = 2500cc according to the metric system

3 Likes

1995 GEC GR2

200bhp, 1030kg, a six-speed manual gearbox with mechanical LSD, and a 1:1 drivability-to-sportiness ratio (46.5 for both!), all for just $25k exactly - with no negative quality anywhere. Not the fastest for sure, but certainly a looker - and still fun enough to drive around any race track or twisting back road, even at (relatively) sane speeds.

(OOC: I couldn’t afford ABS or TC given the budget allotted, but the car was light enough that I didn’t need either of them anyway, and my decision not to use any negative quality at all was a conscious decision on my part. Besides, there’s no turbo, but thanks to the lack of weight, I didn’t need that either, and my all-aluminum engine is better suited to natural aspiration.)

7 Likes

In the rules theres no engine-stress limit. So whats the official word on allowable engine stress?

thanks for the reminder, someone asked this on Discord too and I forgot to add it to the rules here. No engine stress is allowed, so 0% because we are building production cars here which need to be reliable.