1998 Hyundai Coupe SE

Can confirm, extremely similar to the Lantra! The Lantra is another super rare car in England these days.

Aye so were pretty much any cars of that size from those eras. Itā€™s where the vast majority of Cortinas, Sierras, Carinas, Bluebirds etc all ended up.

Finally got the last tyre I need on, next up is MOT in the next couple of weeks.
Shall soon be roadworthy! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Little update:
MOT never happened because of a lack of time (this has been happening since last July), but as for things that DID happen, I managed to get the new valve cover gasket on today (has been in my cupboard for probably about a month now, I blame the weather. Iā€™ve had the oil ready for a change for the past 2 or 3 months too).

Iā€™ve never really seen the inside of an engine that wasnā€™t brand new, so it was pretty interesting to see the inside of this thing, things like cams are much bigger than I expected them to be. Luckily for me, everything seems to be in perfectly fine condition.
One thing I did notice is that this engine happens to use a belt and chain. The timing belt is on the left hand side, connected to the exhaust cam but the two cams are kept in time by a chain on the right side of the engine, both of which are visible in the photo. Never knew such a system existed, and I canā€™t really think of any pros of using a system like this, apart from maybe space saving because thereā€™s only the one cam pulley, but itā€™s cool nonetheless and as long as it works Iā€™m ok. Might make it easier to swap in the Lantra 1.8 Intake cam at some point in the future.

Hopefully it doesnā€™t smell of burning oil from now on!

2 Likes

Usually called a slave cam system, several manufacturers use a version of it.

Aye, as I was saying in the discord I know this exists on the PSA/Ford 1.4 and 1.6 16v diesels as a friend had one where the chain was stretched and rattled like a goodā€™un. Belt cam Toyotas used a different version where theyā€™re geared together at the cam sprocket end.

Have you decided if youā€™re definitely getting rid of this after itā€™s MOTā€™d?

I dunno if Iā€™ll get rid of it anymore to be honest, itā€™s something that everyone here knows me by (unfortunately :stuck_out_tongue: ) and even though it is a piece of shit, it is a cool piece of shitā€¦ in my eyes at least. If I eventually come to sell it, I want to at least take it on a roadtrip or something before I do. Would be a waste if I didnā€™t.

2 Likes

Do it!

Just make sure you have a good roadside assistance service subscription first :joy:

1 Like

Finally took it for an MOT yesterday, and unfortunately it did infact fail.
In a nutshell, it failed because the rear brakes pretty much donā€™t do anything and because thereā€™s a penny sized rust hole on the sill. Due to the fact that itā€™s within 300mm of a suspension mounting (I presume the shock), this was unfortunately a reason for failure.
Now, the brakes should be a relatively easy fix. On all gens of the Coupe, the rear brakes, specifically the slide pins, were notoriously shit and susceptible to getting stuck. At the bare minimum, it should just be a case of cleaning them and re-lubricating them, but knowing my luck itā€™s going to be something more complicated.
The rust, however, is more troubling as most of the metal around that hole is already extremely brittle and rusty anyway, so thereā€™s going to be lots of cutting and welding involved. I figured that I might as well get both sides done, because theyā€™re both more or less equally shot. This also happens to be a gen 1 Coupe problem, as water/condensation gets trapped behind the sideskirt and completely destroys your sills. Iā€™m gonna pull off the sideskirt at some point and see the extent of the damage, but Iā€™m not looking forward to it.

People often say project cars are absolute money pits, and now I know why! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

7 Likes

Got it passed huh :slight_smile: howā€™d you fix the rust?

So, I told everyone on the Discord that my car had been stolen earlier and weeelllā€¦ you seeā€¦

I actually just sold her today, as much as I didnā€™t want to.
After it failed its MOT, I eventually got to work on the brakes. Turns out more than just the slide pins were stuck, both rear brake pistons were seized (one piston per side) which meant I couldnā€™t get the calipers rewinded back in. So about a month later, Iā€™ve come to my senses and realised that, coupled with the cost of the welding and the fact Iā€™ll probably never even be able to afford to drive the damn thing, I should sell it. I stuck it for sale on the Hyundai Coupe Ownerā€™s Club Facebook page where it picked up quite a lot of interest and sold within a couple days for about a fifth of what I paid for it. The dude who bought it off me honestly got a brilliant deal, considering it came with an unopened 4L bottle of Castrol, brake pads, an oil filter and most importantly 4 of Chinaā€™s finest brand new tyres. As far as first gen Hyundai Coupes go, itā€™s a good low mileage example.
Hopefully this wonā€™t be the last I hear of this thing, as I expect to see photos of it after itā€™s been fixed up.
In my eyes, it is/was certainly a unique car and Iā€™m really going to miss the sight of it (even if all it did was drain my money away and cause me headaches) and at the end of the day, it will forever be my ā€œfirstā€ car.
Finally, if you think this will be my last obscure, shitty carā€¦ you are mistaken. Stay tuned folks.

######also lol everyone on discord believed me when I said it was stolen, serves you right for calling it an ugly jellybean you bastards

13 Likes

I have mixed feelings to even press the ā€˜likeā€™ button on this one, since I really grew a likings on that Coupe, out of all the project cars in the Automation forum.
But what has to be, has to be I guess.

3 Likes

Welcome to the world of cars!

It better be something previously discussed.

8 Likes

It seems sheā€™s in a better place with her friends now.

11 Likes

What are his plans for it?

Itā€™s jointly ā€œownedā€ by two people afaik, one of them I think daily drives that blue F2, and the other (who legally owns it) is going to drive my red one when itā€™s roadworthy. As far as I know, they plan on collecting as many as they have space for.

5 Likes

Letā€™s see where this goes then shall we, bit risky posting this because obviously I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll even win or not but Iā€™m hyped nonetheless

2 Likes
  1. If ever a car needed a new thread, itā€™s this one.
  2. Donā€™t tempt anything just yet. :stuck_out_tongue:
2 Likes

Rover?