Thecarlover's cars (1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited -> 2011 Scion tC)

Been there, done that. Looks fun, isn’t really. Also seems you’ve got the soft roll, and hope you’re fine.

Forgot to update on this.

The car is actually completely fine, and got an oil change while in the shop (which I was going to do in a few days before I crashed). The two dents it got on the roof were in the areas where the higher spec had twin sunroofs and I easily popped them out just from pushing on them from inside.
It will need the two doors and the fender but they’re not an issue when driving it, so I’m hoping to see one of the same colour pop up in the local yards sometime soon. Or at least green with the grey two-tone to make it a cheaper paint job, since that’s the one part I likely won’t do myself.

4 Likes

We can steal my neighbor’s 3.0 Limited… it’s the right color. You can have the exterior panels, I get all the leather from the interior. :smiley:

4 Likes

So this last weekend was the end of my ownership of the Outback. After nearly two years of ownership and 227,000 miles (close to 365,000 km) on the clock, I drove it to its final resting place where it will be used as a donor car for another Outback.

As for the replacement car, I bought the 2011 Scion tC from my dad that I helped him pick out back in the spring of 2011 (with shitspec steelies for the winter) now with just over 161,000 km on the clock.

As for a fitting goodbye for the Outback, when cleaning it out I found a few apples that rolled out of the bag when I went apple picking in late September. The cold temperatures for most of the time since managed to preserve them and so they’ve been used to make an apple crumble. And so at that, I’ll eat to the memories I have had with the Outback over the last two years.

17 Likes

Right, it’s high time I make a proper post about with the Scion. As mentioned previously, I bought it from my dad after he bought it new in May of 2011. Here’s a pic with a somewhat more baby-faced me before it rolled out of the showroom:

After that it was used pretty much as a daily for some time (except for being stored a few winters) and it was my go-to car when I was home from school and needed to go somewhere. I took it offroad a couple times (yes really) and my parents drove it all the way to Newfoundland and back once. So that brought it to just over 161,000 km.

Well I’ve been having my fun with it since November, including dailying it during a great Canadian winter when I couldn’t ride my bike to work:

It’s not all been fun, as I’ve recently started doing construction site inspections so the tC has been put into duty as a work car to get to and from work sites. It handles leaving the asphalt better than you’d expect from a coupe, as I knew previously, and the liftback is excellent for loading up my equipment.

With all these trips to sites in the city or small towns “au fin fond des bois” as we say in French, I’ve been putting more kilometers on than expected and reached this milestone recently:

Things are going great, it still makes me smile like it did back in 2011 while being much more practical than I could ever hope from a coupe and I expect it to keep doing so for many years to come.

7 Likes

Just a couple photos of the tC out on work duty.

4 Likes