2000 Honda Accord SE 2.0i VTEC [RIP]

I think this is juuust mad enough.

5 Likes

A solid choice. Watch out for those pesky driveshafts that like to detach from the car every so often!

“80s Alfa, because japanese cars are unreliable”…

4 Likes

“This heatwave Britain is having is fantastic”

It’s also a fantastic oppurtunity to sort out the air con on the Accord, which has been pretty much non-existant since I got it. A quick rummage around my step dad’s garage (which is renowned for having many, many cans and canisters of car products, as well as two entire Jaguar XJ40 drivetrains) and I find a refill bottle of refrigerant…

Honda, being such a lovely and logical company, put the aircon service port in an easy to reach place. Initial reading shows that its low on the cool stuff, and annoyingly, this canister I found is almost empty.

Quick trip down to Halfords and £40 later (that’s even with the £10 discount you get for returning old canisters :sweat:) and we’ve filled the system back up. Interior is now ice cold and I won’t need to worry about sweating like a Floridian every time I drive to work.

10 Likes

“The Accord goes continental”

It’s been one hell of a summer of driving for me, and the Accord has been there for the whole thing. It’s survived going to a festival, commuting me to work most days and has now even had a taste of driving in the wrong side of the road.

France, the Netherlands and Belgium in 2 days. European roads sure are nice but holy god are they boring. Probably didn’t help that we were in one of the flattest parts of the continent, but even then, a distinct lack of corners and a million roundabouts is dull to say the least.

I know it’s sad and soppy to say, but I genuinely love this car. It’s a money pit that’s for sure, but a fun one at that. I thought it’d take me ages to get over the Arousa but the Accord really has won me over. Great to drive, very comfortable and very practical. And I’ve yet to lose my temper in it, which for someone with slight anger issues (that are actually quite serious and that I haven’t ever properly dealt with but that’s another story for another time) is frankly miraculous.

15 Likes

Cars suck.

Cars absolutlely fucking suck. All they do is bring you pain and emotion and misery.

It’s been a really shit couple of days, I’m not gonna lie. Not gonna wail on about it here don’t you worry, but I felt it needed mentioning.

So on Friday, literally just after filling up, I came to a standstill at a set of red lights, and boof, a Corsa D smacks me up the rear. Rear bumper was damaged but behind it was a lot worse, the chassis metal has been dented in and the boot can no longer close properly as a result.

And even just with that, it’s all over. Insurers won’t pay for the repairs because the car is too old and has therefore been written off. Ugh. All that perfect MOT and service history and excellent condition are suddenly valueless.

Off she goes this morning on the transporter. It’s not all that MOT bollocks that hurts tho, it’s the fact I really fell in love with this car. Probably not a good idea to attach yourself to inanimate objects but what can you do eh?

So many of my mates too loved the car as well, and if anything I’ve become friends with some people and done things I’d never have done before because of this car. Drove it to a festival, used it to lug my belongings too and from uni, drove it across northern Europe, took it up the Welsh mountain roads, done countless thousands of motorway miles and it’s been the perfect chariot for getting my friends too and from things all year. Sometimes its easy to forget how prevalent a car can be in your life, but today I want to memorialise that.

The show must go on, however, and at the end of the day, this is what cars tend to do - they go wrong. I’m gonna miss my baby Accord so fucking much, but I can be thankful for all the good times it’s brought me. Off to the great scrapheap in the sky she goes, to join the Arousa.

On a more positive note, I’ve fully transitioned into being a Honda fanboy. I beg of you, if you ever get a chance to drive a car with VTEC and a Honda manual gearbox, do. There’s something really properly magical about them, even on this single-cam eco-tuned vtaaak F20Z engine. This is supposed to be a family saloon, but it begs you to ram it past 4500 rpm, at which point the noise happens. The steering was tactile too; the car may well have been big and floaty, but it felt precise, and the feel through the wheel was superb. The specs for this thing were mundane and pretty normal, but the way it delivered them was phenomenal.

22 Likes

It feels bad clicking that like button, but it’s a signal of sympathy not a “Haha, your car’s fucked”

Such a shame that such a nice car had to end like that.

4 Likes

I know the exact pain you’re going through, and I know how much it sucks. You loved that thing and it served you very, very well — focus on the good for now, that’s what I always say :)))

I hope everything works out for you in the end, you definitely deserve it.

1 Like

HA, don’t worry I realised :wink: Also excellent use of KOTH there!

@On3CherryShake thank you for the kind words!

2 Likes

The Accord is toast - what should you replace it with, then?

Edit: If you really want to trade up to another Honda, a Legend - the Accord’s larger sibling, and a leftfield choice among large executive cars - might be a good idea if you can find one in good nick.

1 Like

@abg7 As of yet, not sure. Dream would be another honda tbh

Damn, sorry to hear that man. Keep us posted, hope it all works out. :open_mouth:

1 Like

@Slim_Jim Cheers dude, plans are in the works for a replacement tho :smirk:

1 Like

F :sweat:

1 Like

Ouch. I felt like that when my 93 Civic got stolen a while back.
And what you said about driving an old Honda with a stick is absolutely true. the 93 Civic (in Shingo red!) was the 1st stickshift I owned. The D16Z6 was a joy to rev out to the 7,200 rpm redline (on only a single overhead cam) and the manual gearbox was one of the best I ever felt. Not even my Speed3’s is as precise and compliant. And because the car is so damn light, it handles like a go-kart. It just makes you want to push it hard.

1 Like

IKR! It was odd cause I first got the Accord I thought the gear throw was huge. But give it a few drives and it just makes sense, every change feels so bloody good. And 7200rpm in an old Civic, fuck me, sounds like heaven :smiley:

*Forgot to add, so sorry about the car getting nicked. Just not on is it :’(

That was 2 years ago now. It’s long gone. Although a few EF Civic SI hatchbacks have popped up for sale recently. Been considering it.

1 Like

Gaaawaaaaannn, you know you want to :wink:

Sad react only :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Press F to pay respects.

4 Likes