2019 Calvinator Super Wagon

That’s no moon… it’s a killer space station disguised to be a minivan. They call it “Death Trap”

9 Likes

I adjusted the hearing cause I didn’t want passengers to smack their heads on the windshield when you step on the accelerator and there is a pothole about 5 or 10 ft in front of you (airbags aren’t the softest thing either, and that much thrust can make an airbag go off). In every test, the airbags went off till we slowed the acceleration from 2.5 to about 5.3 seconds.

You may wanna use a non-Takata supplier, then.

8 Likes

And people say I eminate a callous nature.

######That was fucking hilarious.

1 Like

Is your 5.3 second 0-60 still with 1900bhp or did you only change gearing?

There’s something you need to know about that 1900bhp. It looks like this:

Such an astounding power curve makes for an equally astounding acceleration graph:

In short I have no idea whether the gearing would change anything (it’s all masked by 15+ sliders on everything except the gearbox). But I sure do know that you can get the sensation of being on a rollercoaster simply by driving in a straight line :smiley:

2 Likes

Lol, i knew what it looked like. If he’s anything like me, though, it’s probably triple-overdrive geared so that none of the power is usable

Edit: well, the torque curve is actually a lot smoother-looking than I expected

It’s smooth because most of the turbo boost isn’t used and about 200rpm before it actually finishes spooling up the redline arrives. That’s a rather inefficient way to use turbo, to put it lightly.

2 Likes

Hm. Interesting… I’ll keep that in mind next time I’m engineering something with a turbo. I’ve usually done a small turbo that’s boosted out by 4k, which does result in a wall of torque.

what you can do there is increase the size of the compressor and then tweak the size of the turbine until the yellow boost line at the bottom of the graph extends most of the way across to your redline. That’s probably the optimal way of doing it.

4 Likes

Oh god, that engine is amazing

They weren’t Takata. It had that much power.

Sounds more like dodgy electricals mate :joy:

4 Likes

oh boy, you can’t blame it on Takata? You’re in trouble then sonny, because in any which way you can feasibly interpret reality, airbags don’t deploy when you accelerate.

It takes about 200m/s^2 of acceleration for an airbag to trigger (or about 20g). A car that can do 0-100km/h in 2.3s will be accelerating at around 12m/s^2, which is about 1.2g. Now, I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty sure that 1.2 is quite a lot less than 20. And before you try suggesting that any single moment could exceed that much force, have a look at the acceleration graph, and you’ll see that nowhere does it reach 20g. The only way any car, even with +15 slider abuse, reaches that, is if it suddenly moves because it crashed or something crashed into it. So you best be thinking of something else to blame other than the sheer power

6 Likes

I think an engineering employee sabotaged the system… before they left the company.

2 Likes

Strop, the 2.3 was fine unless you hit a speed bump or a pot hole.

So it had had absolutely nothing to do with the acceleration.

1 Like

Yes, kind of. Accel still had a little, cause there will always be those morons that will gun the engine so we purposely slowed the accel so that the front axle airbag igniters wouldn’t go off. (In 2005, our road cars had begun to exceed 1500 BHP, so when some moron stomped the accelerator about 100 ft away or closer from a speed bump, the driver and passengers were launched into the windshield. We fixed that by putting airbag igniters above the front axle and put a 1/16" steel sheet between the circuits and button so that the airbag only went off when they stomped the accelerator and hit a speed bump with enough force to launch someone and break the seat belts).

So now if you car crashes, and it doesn’t break the seatbelts (breaking seatbelts, is, by the way, quite a feat even in collisions unless your seatbelts are defective), your passengers are simply going to get anterior vertebral dislocations from whiplash, and or intracranial haemorrhage from smashing their heads into the dash and/or steering wheel.

Well done.

2 Likes

Airbags still deployed. We now use Kevlar seat belts.