2020 Donington Historic [ENTRIES CLOSED]

The Following Challenge is heavily inspired by Simmer22’s VLN Endurance Challenge Challenge

2020 Donington Historic

Since the Invention of the second car, has motor racing existed. Here, we are exploring the breadth of motor racing in 8 Iconic classes from 1950 through to 1999. We have seen icons rise and fall through the ages, and now we come together to celebrate the icons that have decorated rooms for decades since.
This Challenge will be seen from the hands and eyes of a few motorsport journalists, covering the event. Speed is not the aim here, only to show icons of motorsport history the respect they deserve from now into forever. Design of the car, design of the livery, and design of the mechanicals are much more important than outright pace.

The Following classes are allowed to be entered into, with example pictures to follow.

COMPETITION SPORTS CARS (CSC) are cars from 1950 to 1959 who competed in the World Sports Car Championship, car such as the Mercedes-Benz 300SLR, Aston Martin DBR1, Jaguar C- & D-Types.

ENDURANCE 60S (E60) are cars from 1960 to 1969 who competed in the World Sports Car Championship, cars such as the Ford GT40 Mk1, Ferrari 330 P3/P4, and Porsche 904 & 906.

GROUP 4 (G4) are cars from 1970 to 1981 that tended to feature in the World Sports Car Championship, cars such as the Ferrari Daytona, Porsche 911, and De Tomaso Pantera.

GROUP 5 (G5) are the 4th generation Group 5 cars from 1976 to 1982 and tended to feature in the World Sportscar Championship, cars such as the Porsche 935/78 “Moby Dick”, Lancia Beta Montecarlo, and Ferrari 512BBLM

GROUP A (GA) are touring cars from 1982 to 1993 and featured in Touring car series across the globe, cars such as the BMW M3, Nissan Skyline GTR, and Ford Sierra RS500.

GROUP C (GC) are Sport Prototype cars that ran from 1983 to 1993 and primarily featured in the World Sportscar Championship, cars such as the Mazda 787b, Jaguar XJR-8, and Sauber-Mercedes C9.

SUPER TOURING (ST) are touring cars from 1990 to 1999 and primarily featured in the British Touring Car Championship, cars such as the Nissan Primera, Renault Laguna, and Alfa Romeo 155.

GROUP GT1 (GT1) are Grand Touring cars from 1993 to 1999 and primarily featured in the BPR Global GT Series, cars such as the McLaren F1 GTR, Porsche 911 GT1, and Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR

RULES AND REGULATIONS

General Rules

4x4 is Comprehensively banned in all classes.
Automatic and Advanced Automatic are Comprehensively banned in all classes
Manual and Automatic Locking Differentials are Comprehensively banned in all classes
All Quality Sliders limited to -5/+5 Except for Tyres, which are limited to +0
Active Aerodynamic Components are banned

Competition Sports Cars

Model, Trim, and Engine Variant Years Between 1950 and 1959
Engine Size Capped at 3000cc
Engines to run on Super Leaded (98RON)
Minimum Reliability mandated to 20 on engine
Interior Mandated to 2 seats
Interior Mandated to Basic, no entertainment
Safety mandated to None
Radial Tyres are banned
Semi-Slick tyres are banned
Tyres to be no larger than 175

Endurance 60s

Model, Trim, and Engine Variant Years Between 1960 and 1969
Engine Size Capped at 7000cc
Minimum Trim Reliability mandated to 30.
Interior Mandated to 1 seat
Power Steering is Banned
Hydropnematic Suspension is Banned

Group 4

Model, Trim, and Engine Variant Years Between 1970 and 1981
Engine Size Capped at 6000cc
Turbo Chargers are Banned
Minimum Trim Reliability set to 35
Power Steering is Banned

Group 5

Model, Trim, and Engine Variant Years Between 1976 to 1982
Engines must fall between 2000cc and 6000cc
Engines to run on Super Leaded (98 RON)
Minimum Trim Reliability set to 40

Group A

Model, Trim, and Engine Variant Years Between 1982 and 1993
Engines Size Capped at 5000cc
Engines to run on Super Leaded (98 RON) or Super Unleaded (98 RON)
Engine Must be placed in the Front
Body must be able to fit 2 rows of seats
Minimum Trim Reliability set to 45
Variable Power Steering is Banned
Hydropnematic and Air Suspension are Banned

Group C

Model, Trim, and Engine Variant Years Between 1985 and 1993
Engine Size limited to 8000cc between 1985 and 1991
Engine Size limited to 3500cc between 1992 and 1993
Engines to run on Super Unleaded (98)
Turbo Chargers banned in cars for 1992 and 1993
Cars with Engines for 1992 and 1993 may allot +10 Quality to their engine, instead of the standard +5
All Wheel Drive is Banned
Minimum Trim Reliability set to 45
Variable Power Steering is Banned
Hydropnematic and Air Suspension are Banned
Car must be legal as stated within This fuel burn calculator. (Please make a copy to use)

Super Touring

Model, Trim, and Engine Variant Years Between 1993 and 1999
Engine Size Capped at 2000cc
Engine Cylinders Capped at 6
Engine Must be Placed in the Front
Engine to run on Super Unleaded (98)
Turbo Chargers are Banned
Loudness must be below 60
Minimum Trim Reliability set to 50
Cars must have 4 doors
Downforce Undertray is Banned
Non-Variable Power Steering is Allowed
Safety Must be Advanced 90s
Non-Standard & Non-Progressive Springs are banned
Active and Adaptive Suspension components are banned

Group GT1

Model, Trim, and Engine Variant Years Between 1993 and 1999
Engine Size is Unlimited
Loudness must fall bellow 80
Minimum Trim Reliability set to 50
Non-Variable Power Steering is Allowed
Safety Must be Advanced 90s
Non-Standard & Non-Progressive Springs are banned
Active and Adaptive Suspension components are banned

JUDGING IMPORTANCE

:star::star::star::star::star:

The Car has a Historically Accurate Livery and Design
The Car is logical for the class it has been chosen for.

:star::star::star::star:

The Car is Unique, but Accurate

:star::star::star:

The Car has choices in engineering that can tell stories, or make it stand out
The Car is likely to need little maintenance during the event.

:star::star:

The Car Competitive in it’s chosen class

:star:

The Car is the fastest in it’s Class

FORMAT FOR SUBMISSION

Due to the wide Variety in classes, you may enter up to 4 different classes, but only 1 entry per class.
Please send all entries as the same Forum Message

Clarification on Collaborations
If You decide to collaborate with one or more user on an entry, the car will count as 1 entry for everyone involved, AND count for your entry for that class for everyone involved.

Model & Engine Family: DHC [Class] [Forum Name]
Trim: [Car Name]
Engine Variant: [Engine Name]

SUBMISSIONS CLOSE 22 August 2020 11:59pm UTC+12 (NZST)

EXAMPLES

Competition Sports Cars

Endurance 60s

Group 4

Group 5

Group A

Group%20A%201

Group C

Super Touring

Super%20Touring%202

Group GT1

22 Likes

With the Goodwood Festival of Speed and Revival both cancelled for this year due to COVID-19, and replaced by a virtual Speedweek combining elements of both, this historic Automation racing showcase is a great way to fill the void.

5 Likes

UPDATE

Class Regulations have been added to the original post, and they are now up for debate on if things need to be changed, removed, or added. Many of the limits for engines were pulled from the official regulations, except for Group 4, as that is very vague online.

I’ll open entries once everyone is fine with how the rules have been laid out!

5 Likes

Are the cars going to be fully invented by the creator or could they also be inspired by “real cars” that can be replicated in Automation but never took part in the various classes?
For example… can I replicate a Lancia Thema 8.32 (which never took part in one of these championships if I’m not wrong) and then modify it in order to make it suitable for Group A?

The Use of real companies is discouraged.

1 Like

My attempt at the 1950’s competiton sports cars. The 1955 BSC V12

9 Likes

UPDATE

Group C is getting a minor shake-up. Thanks to the kindness of @MrChips, a fuel burn calculator has been constructed. This means, you have to focus a bit more than just purely power. A link has been added into the Group C regulations, so make sure you’re damn legal, kids.

I might be stupid but what is meant to go here? the units don’t make much sense to me. I assumed it was fuel consumption but units are weird.

The second value of the Economy % in the summary tab

1 Like

ok, so am I doing something wrong? I don’t think this is quite right.

472hp with 23mpg isn’t really bad imo, yet i’d have to get my lb/hph down to 1.3 from 395.3.

I’ll just cc in @MrChips here, he’s the one who made the calculator, so I’m not the right one to be asking about it unfortunately

One more thing: There is no mention of a ban on active wings and cooling flaps anywhere in the rule book, but I believe they should both be outlawed altogether.

Ammended

@Fayeding_Spray Can I submit a car into the Super Touring class that I have submitted into the British Rivals: Comeback challenge? I’ve put a lot of time and work into the car and it would fit right in to the Super Touring class.

As long as it meets the rules

2 Likes

Make sure you’ve selected the correct units from the green-coloured drop-downs in the spreadsheet. The above example is what happens when you enter in a specific fuel consumption in grams per kilowatt-hour with pounds per horsepower-hour selected.

UPDATE

With no other complains I can see coming in, I am prepared to open entries from now, until the 22 August 2020 11:59pm (NZST) [UTC+12].

Good Luck

Iramitsu UK is happy to announce the presence of 4 Iramitsu cars from the Iramitsu Museum

Iramitsu Iwazama IIRC

This is an official Iramitsu International Racing and Competition prepared Iwazama. The “C-Type” V12 engine has been bored out to 3.0L, achieving now just under 300hp. It took part in the 1964 Le Mans 24h and Fuji 24h. The Iwazama IIRC really proved to be “the Japanese car to win them all”, as one of our old slogans said

Iramitsu Koi IIRC

This little Koi is based on the docile 1.4L coupe, but don’t be fooled by its friendly and unoffensive appearance, the 1974 Koi IIRC was a real performance machine. IIRC mechanics swapped the small A-Series 1.4 and changed it with a more powerful 1.8L B-Series unit, making the small Koi a great car both on road and off road, giving us a podium in the 1974 Safari Rally

Iramitsu Koi Shōri VSR

The 1994 Koi was an inoffensive sedan, but the Super Touring version is totally another beast. This car gave us plenty of wins all around the globe, from the BTCC to the JTCC

Iramitsu Starfire Shōri VSR GT1

The Starfire has always been one of our finest cars, and this GT1 verison was even better. The 3.0L “H-Series” boxer 6 is now turbocharged and capable of almost 620hp, making it one of the most powerful GT1 cars of its time.

We hope you have fun watching these wonderful cars running around a circuit like Donington

Maxwell Dyson
Head of PR Department
Iramitsu Jidōsha UK

Iramitsu Jidōsha, Only the best of Japanese engineering

1 Like

I hadn’t noticed before, but why is Group B skipped over? Is it because it was cancelled half-way into its development?

There are a lot of classes that existed that aren’t covered here, but there are already 8 classes covering 5 decades, adding more would only add to that insanity. Also, Group 4 is the direct predecessor to Group B and had similar rules, so if that’s the type of vehicle you’d like to make, it could be included there.

1 Like