2020 Great Gasmean Hill Climb - Finals

I put 1+ in turbo, exhaust and valvetrain and am running 500hp… Could be more but I’m using a lore friendly engine with VVL. Just runs a decent amount of boost and quite rich… And a race intake. I wanted to keep it not too expensive.

I believe micz is running quite a few more tech points than that. The money is really in the valvetrain imho.

@nialloftara yeah hit me up. I’ll give it a suspension and downforce tune.

@Xepy the build I’m considering sending in is 31k approx cost but… the engine is pretty undercooked so I may have to do a bit more testing to see if it’s gonna be competetive… or whether I can put in a better lap time than everybody else with a less powerful car lmao

My first min-max build costs more like 61k. We’ll see how much that goes, it has twice the power to weight ratio so I say that’s a good deal

@Private_Miros one more question: do you accept 2 door variants of 4/5 door bodies? or must we use the 4-5 door variant? I assume 2 door would make more sense if this is a dedicated hillclimb racer

2 Likes

What about negative points for interior?

Interiors look quite basic in race cars, I’d say.

The limit is 1.6L btw… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m almost at 500HP, but no idea how people are getting 600HP!

Getting 202 Bhp from my 1.3 NA for the XS class, now need to implement it into a Drivable chassis

1 Like

Net Hp, not Bhp :nerd_face:

Yes, I accept the 2-door. In general it should look the part: a hillclimb spec of a normal street car. Not of a coupe or sports car.

So, what about chassis and body panels materials? Will something with a tubular frame chassis and fibreglass body (or maybe even CFRP) accepted? I wouldn’t enjoy going budget-friendly and then have to compete against full carbon-fibre cars with 10 quality points on the engine and tires.

I don’t know if it’s just me. But I’m not getting what kind of hill climbing cars we should be making. Because, IRL it’s easy to find quite a variety of them.

If we take into account the few restrictions you’ve set for the Open B class, which one of the following three “classes” of cars I should pick is uncertain:

a) Slightly modified street car: think of a car with an original chassis; a stripped-out interior and a rollcage; two or three body panels swapped out for CFRP or fibreglass pieces; a set of cheap-ish slick tires; a sportier suspension setup; sensible splitter and rear wing size, maybe a small diffuser; modified engine with around 20% to 50% more horsepower over stock if it’s NA or turbocharged respectively, perhaps even a slightly more powerful engine swapped in.

An in game example: steel monocoque chassis, steel body, regular suspension (e.g. double wishbone all around), ± 300hp/tonne, a few negative quality points on safety, not too wide semi-slick tires with no quality points, manual (or automatic) gearbox, stiff suspension and a bit of downforce.

An example of a):

b) Heavily modified street car: heavily reinforced original chassis; every “swappable” body panel gone and replaced with a CFRP piece; large front splitter, rear diffuser and rear wing; heavily modified suspension setup; a set of serious slick tires; a massively upgraded original engine or an engine swap (LS, Formula, DTM engine, etc.) and perhaps even a sequential gearbox.

An in game example: steel monocoque chassis, fibreglass or CFRP body, regular suspension (e.g. double wishbone all around), ± 600hp/tonne, -15 quality points on safety, wide semi-slick tires with a few positive quality points, sequential gearbox, stiff suspension and a lot of downforce.

An example of b):

c) Kit-cars (?): tubular space-frame chassis or carbon-fibre monocoque; full fibreglass or CFRP body; ludicrous aero kit (front splitter, rear wing, rear diffuser and flat floor); ad-hoc suspension setup (e.g. pushrod all around); the best slick tires available; straight-out racing engine and sequential gearbox.

An in game example: chassis and body as stated above, pushrod suspension, ± 1000hp/tonne, -15 quality points on safety, the widest semi-slicks you can get with +15 quality points on them, 6-speed sequential gearbox, stiff suspension and lots of downforce.

An example of c):

2 Likes

XS Class sould be basically kit cars with a small engine.

B Class should simply be like option b).

There will be an A Class and an X Class in a later preliminary, which covers option c), one class with engine limitations and the other without.

The other thread with restomod entries will be more in line with option a).

Feel free to ask away, the very open rule set is encourage variation and surprises. I will give every car some attention, not only the fastest.

2 Likes

That’s nice to know. Mostly because I know I’ll spend a lot of hours making an entry and it will still be rubbish to drive.

I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong (or right!), but my XS class is faster than my B class… :\

2 Likes

Funnily enough despite having about 3 times the power and twice as many driven wheels, my B class entry is only about 7 seconds faster up the hill than the XS class entry…

3 Likes

Just checking, can we use de-bored or de stroked engine families larger than allowed, as long as the variant engine capacity is at or under the specified amount?

like right now I’m running a turbocharged 1723cc engine that’s been de-stroked down to 1600cc is that cool?

That is acceptable.

Ya, i’m around there too :slight_smile:

Smaller, lighter and more chuckable is probably the answer

A quick question. Are we allowed to use a rear engine configuration?

Not for the XS class, that is stated in the rules.

B Class, as long as it is a body that’s allowed, go ahead.

2 Likes

Tanaka Aventis Great Gasmean Hillclimb (Class Open B) by Tanabe Racing

I better post this early or else, I will forget…

Under the skin is the chassis of the upcoming 8th generation Tanaka Aventis (in which the competition is 2020, the car is already on sale…). Outside, well it is full of wings, splitters and diffusers. The 65 signifies the first year of the first generation Aventis, 1965. 2020 is the 55th anniversary of the Aventis. To celebrate that, Tanaka decided to take part in the 2020 Gasmean Hill Climb. To show how sporty the Aventis really is, Tanaka decided to use its normal chassis instead of a modified chassis. Engineers at Tanabe Racing shrinked the engine down from a 2.0 litre Inline 4 to a 1.6 litre Inline 4. Again to show its engine capabilty, Tanaka decided to heavily modify their tried-and-proven J-Series engine, used in the previous 7th generation Aventis (MPEFI version) and now the 8th generation (now with direct injection). Other than that, the car has no compromises. Everything Tanabe Racing has learned from decades of participation in motorsports was put in here. This is their ultimate hillclimb car. At its current state, it produces 527HP and 348lb-ft of torque. Although Tanaka could use the previous shorter, more agile 7th gen Aventis for this competition, they believe that the longer 8th generation is better in every way. Tanaka hopes that by using this car into the competition, they will get a sales boost, at least in the USA, let alone win the competion in terms of time, not necessarily the other things.
The car will be driven by Nakamura Asakura, who have been a race driver of Tanabe Racing for over 10 years.

Tanabe Racing wishes all the best for the other competitors!

13 Likes

That’s not bad a benchmark to set as first entry. Not bad at all.

1 Like

Here is the Centauri Industries entry for class B.

Our time attack car was built on this 2.5 liter 2012 Centauri Raider DX. Originally a 4 door entry level executive sedan it was a solid but unimpressive car, much more at home in a office parking lot then carving up canyon roads.

Enter the Lunitics from the CPV skunkworks shed, our resident gearheads took out the old 2.5 liter 4 cylinder and dropped in a absolute screamer of a race engine. 25 valves, 1.6 liters, 5 cylinders, and a 2.7 bar turbocharger, putting out 631hp and screaming up to 10,500rpms. The body was stripped down, and stripped out. Gone were the luxurious creature comforts replaced with a single center position race seat and a bare rollcage, carbon fiber replaced the original steel wherever possible, a wide body kit was fitted, and a aggressive areo package was installed front and back, capable of over 1 ton of downforce at top speed. A shakedown loop of the Nürburgring ended up a hair under 7 minutes. Although nust like Tetsuo from Akira learned “The engine can’t drop below 5000 RPMs, even when you’re changing the gears.”

As a factory entry the Raider will be driven by one of our own, accomplished SCCA racer, and CPV test driver, Mrs. Amy Bell.

6 Likes