A Journey Through Time Round3 - 1955 [CLOSED][UE4]

LAST BUT NOT LEAST

ANALYSIS #10 Takemi

RELATION TO ERA

Vans are very useful, however they do tend to be extremely slow and heavy and thus not really used for everyday work
Slightly European in design, rather than Japanese. However it is acceptable due to lack of body styles. Innovative front

DESIGN

On the whole I do like it however there is one thing, there is no way that grill can cool a van!!!

Maybe a little more chrome, however it is simplistic in a nice way

Unfortunately the tail lights are too futuristic

ENGINE

I thought the Manche was bad for underwhelming power, oh well ill guess we will find out if it can move XD

To be fair I was expecting a lot worse!

ADDONS AND SUSPENSION

Again, very basic and suitable for a budget car

CAR ADVERTISEMENT

Lovely originality. B&W picture yet you have some red writing lol! Loving the correct language!

SELLABILITY

A lot better then expected! Well done for pulling that off!

OVERALL

RELATION TO ERA - 4/5
DESIGN - 6/10
ENGINE - 3/5
ADDONS AND SUSPENSION - 4/5
CAR ADVERTISEMENT - 7/10
SELLLABILITY - 7/10
OVERALL - 31/45
EARNINGS - £31000

2 Likes

THE SCORES ARE IN

FIRST PLACE

LMC With £32000

JOINT SECOND PLACE

LLA AND TAKEMI with £31000

JOINT THIRD PLACE

WASP AND ARDENT with £30000

FOURTH PLACE

BOGLIQ and FRANKLIN with £28000

FIFTH PLACE

ABR AND PONNI with £27000

SIXTH PLACE

OLYMPUS with £25000

SEVENTH PLACE

MANCHE with £17000

NON PLACERS

PETOSKY, LEDOREAN, ROMANOV, LHE
(these companies will be given £17000 each to keep them in the running)

5 Likes

ROUND 2 IS UP

1 Like

Erm…What about the Franklin HiWay?

… “NiuYorqCiti” isn’t a company, it’s the user who runs “Ponni”, one of your 5th place finishers…

2 Likes

I was wondering why the numbers weren’t adding up, goddamnit gonna have to try and do it tomorrow

Welcome back to the internet! And wow, I thought the Wasp was gonna take the win :grinning: . Thanks for finishing the round so quickly when you could.

Is there a deadline for the next round or is this just a placeholder for now?

the outcome of the review of Franklin Motors will not affect this scene, as it deals with the Ardent-Bogliq rivalry

March 4, 1947

Clarence placed the business section of the Cincinnati Enquirer carefully next to the ash tray on Jack Chancellor’s desk, as he had done hundreds of times before. Smoke gently wafted from the lit cigarette resting over the lip of the tray.

“It’s good news, sir,” Clarence beamed.

“Does this come as a surprise to you?” Jack’s gravelly voice retorted.

“N-no, sir,” Clarence replied.

The CEO of Ardent ignored the blatant lie of his sniveling yes-man. Clarence was good for cutting red tape, but didn’t have the imagination or bravado to be anything more than a paper pusher.

“Get me John Case,” Jack grunted. “We took the first round from these Bogliq upstarts. I want to make sure they don’t have any ideas about coming back.”

“Yes sir.” The administrator soothed as he slithered out of the office.

Jack spent a good ten minutes thoroughly reading and rereading the headline article, Ardent Gives Solid Performance in European Showdown, pausing every thirty seconds to take a drag from his cigarette. Once he finished the article, he lit a new cigarette, rose to his feet, and walked to the window. His office afforded a commanding view of the grounds that hosted Ardent’s premier factory. Workers hustled to and fro, and a brand new Midnight convertible rolled off of the factory floor, making the short drive to the holding lot.

Three knocks rapped on his door.

“Come in,” he called.

John Case, Ardent’s senior engineer, walked through the door and made his way to a seat on the other side of the desk. Jack Chancellor took a drag of his cigarette. He narrowed his eyes and took stock of the gray-haired, withered chief engineer, a man in his early sixties. What he was about to ask was likely going to be the man’s final project. With Case being so old, and the talent of Stanton Glass on display with the release of the Midnight a little over a year prior, a sign that the changing of the guard was only a matter of time.

Still, Jack Chancellor knew that the man had more to give, and now was the time to give it.

“John. A fine start with the Starlight. Is the modernization project on track?”

“Yes, Mr. Chancellor,” Case replied.

“Good. Good. Ardent is in good position right now. We’re primed to strike for the top spot. We just need a little edge. Do you hear me, John?”

The engineer arched his brows. “'Have I done something wrong, Mr. Chancellor?”

Jack took another drag, then waved his hand dismissively, a thin wisp of smoke trailing through the air as he did so. “Not at all. Giving you a new project.”

“But, the Starlight,” Case protested.

Jack cut him off. “Your skill and talent are wasted on bringing an existing model up to snuff. Take it as a lesson, and build me something else. Something to bury these Moldovan upstarts that think they can take Europe from us. Something…”

“Sleek?” Case finished.

“And strong,” Jack added. “We’ve got some new ideas floating around in the power department. Desmond Wainwright can help you with that, I’ll make sure you’re privy to his latest projects.” He moved to his desk and scribbled his signature on a quick note, then handed it to John.

“How long do I have?”

“Two years.”

The engineer took a hard swallow. “That’s not very long.”

Jack jabbed his cigarette into the tray, extinguishing it. “So what are you waiting for?”

3 Likes

You should see if you have all the workshop items installed, because I really do have taillighs. :wink:

1 Like

Bogliq HQ, Moldova

The meeting of the Board of Directors didn’t go as badly as Bogliq Europe’s CEO thought it would. Instead of being fired, he still had his job but the fact that Bogliq only had the 5th largest market share meant that the CEO was not in a safe spot. Bogliq needed to get in the top three or else the CEO would find himself in a lot of trouble…

He was unsure how to proceed; continue focussing on the entry level cars which had worked reasonably this time or expand the product range with something that’ll dovetail nicely with a facelift of the current Bastion?

Decisions, decisions but one thing’s for sure; Ardent needed to be given a bloody nose and he felt he was the man to deliver it!

News and Gossip section of What Car? Oct '49 Issue

News hot off the press! A little birdie tells me that Bogliq’s firebrand CEO wasn’t knocked out by Ardent’s body blows, but is spoiling for more action stating:

We had a good product and we had good marketing but we couldn't foresee that 
ABR would undercut us in price for the same market sector we intended to 
dominate. 

I want it to be known that Ardent had a pre-war small car already in play and I 
believe that, once you take those cars out of the figures, you'll find that it was, 
in fact, Bogliq who had the superior market growth for the last three years!

With our new models arriving next year, you'll see Bogliq at No. 1 and Ardent 
will be pushed back into the Atlantic where they belong!

Indeed the Bogliq CEO is talking up a big game but will they be able to back it up with tangible results?

Only time will tell but, trust me on this, things are about to get hot in the near future!

2 Likes

@Jaimz I have sorted out your stuff and updated it on the results, if you want me to do a full write-up I can do, however for now you placed fourth along with bogliq

Don’t worry about the write up…We don’t mind sniff

1 Like

Deadline is Wednesday 14th 1200GMT

Out of curiosity, how do you score sellability? Last round I tried to spread it out so i had above 100 in several categories and peak at 121 to get a good sellability score, but I got the same sellability as a car with best category of 86, mind elaborating so next entry (hopefully) does better? :grinning:

As part of the Marshal plan in 1948, president Truman personally convinced Olympus CEO, Dale Rathbone to invest in the rebuilding effort. Olympus paid a sum of $25 million to help rebuild a factory in Munich Germany. In exchange, a large Bavarian automobile manufacturer signed a cooperative agreement to produce a modest number of Olympus Automobiles between 1950 and 1960. The hope was that this would help Olympus make inroads to the European market. The Gemini was the result of this cooperative agreement, as seen in this ad from a German magazine of the time. The model shown here is from the Executive Trim (Olympus Motor’s new, entry-level trim) as a convertible.

(DM1.500 roughly converts to $1,000 US or £700 in 1950, worth approximately $11,000 US or £8,500 or €9250 in 2018)

3 Likes

LMC is taking an “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” approach and updated the Bravos to reflect the changing times and increasing financial freedom.

*price adjusted for inflation

4 Likes

Ganze familie in that little car?! Ah… ein kleine familie.
In any case, I am SO LAZY to make an advert right now :frowning: Will post something before the timer runs out.

2 Likes

That body variant is surprisingly roomy; probably an oversight on development, but I’m not picky.

It is scored based on both on competitiveness and affordqability, which your affordability was very low

5 Likes