Active Wing and Air Braking

I’ve had a quick search and I cant find quite what I was looking for.

Under “Active Wing” could we have an option for “Active Wing + Air Brake” as this technology has actually been about for quite sometime (The McMerc SLR for example). Maybe have it add a bit more weight/engineering time but with an bonus to braking.

What do people think?

9 Likes

Isn’t Active Wing basically combined with air brake?

Not from the description in the game. It is just a wing that raises as speed increases.

Edit: While an active wing does decrease braking distance by 1m, this doesn’t seem correct, as a Veyrons aerobrake can provide huge increases in braking. I think the decrease is a “bug” in the calculations from the car technically having more grip.

“Fact 4: When the air brake is at an angle of 55 degrees it generates 70% of the braking force of an average car.”

1 Like

Ah, if we speak like this, descriptions are actually pretty much unfinished anyway.

The braking distance is measured as 100km/h-0km/h braking distance if I remember correctly. At those speeds the wing won’t generate all that much drag, having it shorten the braking distance by 1m propably isn’t far off from real life.

It’s an interesting idea, and I’d like to have that option in the game, but, being truly honest I don’t think is needed, the ceramic brakes in the game are incredible powerful, and so far, I haven’t find a car that can’t be stopped with those.

1 Like

The V8’s in the game are incredibly powerful, no need to put V12’s in :wink: But joking aside, even with ceramic disks, the cars above still employ the aerobrake as well. The way i see it, it would be something cool to have, with not massive amounts of effort as its adding an option that changes variables.

It would be nice to know if the braking advantage of the active wing is from the grip it gives you or it is actually being simulated as well.

1 Like

Ceramic brakes are limited by tire grip though, air brakes aren’t. So with air brakes you can have braking force that exceeds what the tires are capable of. I do see a point there.

2 Likes

Yeah, this would be very easy to implement, so I don’t see why we won’t do that eventually.

12 Likes

Thank you for the reply!

It was just something small that caught my eye.

I have a feeling the braking test may already automatically set the wing angle to maximum if Active Wing is selected. Havn’t looked at that code in years, so only vague memory of implementing something like that.

Correct, that is in the game, but not a proper air-brake mode for the wing, which would give it much more than the maximum angle you’d choose for downforce, of course.

5 Likes

Air brake could be used to provide longer life for the brakes, as well as allowing a less aggressive pad material, both of which could be used to drive down operating costs in exchange for upfront costs (In theory).