Automation Test Track Lap Times

Fastest Overall

2017 Gryphon Gear “Lilith” Prototype: 1:54.64
2014 Dimension Paradox XY: 2:00.05

Fastest by Decade

2010s

• 2017 Gryphon Gear “Lilith” Prototype: 1:54.64
  • 2014 Dimension Paradox XY: 2:00.05

(UPDATE: Unfortunately, I’m not going to be able to review as actively as I initially planned. I’ll pop in here every now and then and write a review or two when I have the inspiration. Check back every few weeks if you are interested)

This is going to be a pretty simple thread featuring plain text reviews and unedited pictures. These reviews are mostly just for fun, and they are obviously going to have some opinion woven into them, so don’t read these thinking that I’m saying “x car is better than y car,” or anything like that. I may occasionally do a comparison rather than a review, although these will likely be infrequent and will probably feature no more than 3 cars for a single comparison. For these comparisons I’ll lean towards discussing the strengths and weaknesses of each car relative to each other if possible rather than simply declaring one car better than the other.

Reviews will differ in content depending on the nature of the car in question, for example I’m not going to spend an entire paragraph dwelling on a track-focused supercar’s harsh ride and crummy interior when it’s obvious that comfort isn’t a concern for potential buyers, but I will at least mention it. I will include a lap around the Automation Test Track in each review just for the heck of it. Hopefully this thread will become a nice little database of lap times for a variety of cars, not just ones purpose built to carve up the track.

PM me a car when submissions are open (check the top of this OP) if you’d like me to review it. I’ll only be accepting a single trim of a single car from you at a time, but if I have already reviewed a certain trim of one of your cars you can submit a different trim for me to review.

9 Likes

aLittleWhile reviews…

The 2014 Dimension Paradox XY

Click here for detailed specs and other goodies not provided in this review

Allow me to introduce you to the Paradox XY, front engined, rear wheel drive, a 7 speed stick, and a 7 liter engine. There are no turbos in this car, and there isn’t a dual clutch automatic either. What there is, though, is 660 horsepower. There’s all sorts of little winglets and scoops sprinkled all over the car keeping it pinned through the faster corners. There’s over 4 feet of rubber between the width of all 4 tires. There’s an impressive list of lap times, and then there’s a price. It’s quite a low price for all of these things. For $65,000 you can own a car that posted a 7:19.85 on the famous Nürburgring Nordeschleife. That doesn’t sound too bad, does it?

$65,000 will get you a sub 4 second 0-60 time, a quarter mile time in the neighborhood of 11 and a half seconds, a top speed of about 181 miles per hour, world class handling, excellent braking performance, and it will also get you heated leather bucket seats. That last part actually kind of surprised me. I really wasn’t expecting much before I climbed inside the cabin of this thing, I mean they obviously cut costs somewhere, right? But, no. There was leather in there. A good bit of it, too. There was even a SatNav and a radio. Not the best sound system I’ve heard, especially for this price point, but it’s servicable. It’s honestly quite cozy for such a performance-oriented vehicle, even more so if you aren’t one to listen to music or mess around with all the little buttons and controls inside the cabin while you are driving. Dimension put the effort in where it matters in a car like this, the seat, the wheel, the pedals, and the shifter. That being said, if I haven’t made it clear already the Paradox XY is quite easily outclassed by other vehicles at its price point when it comes to refinement. Anybody who knows what this car is about won’t be surprised by that, but in case you weren’t aware you are now. Crash safety ratings for the Paradox XY are pretty good, but you can find much safer cars for a similar price. The engine is quite noisy and it runs on the rougher side of things. The ride isn’t horrible, and the damper stiffness is able to be adjusted on the fly just like nearly every other sports car out there on the market today, which can help smooth things out a little, but the spring rate is set in stone, and you can’t adjust the ride height or anything like that so you should be mindful of scraping on things like speed bumps if you happen to take the Paradox XY out on public roads.

Although, speaking of public roads, it’s quite clear just from looking at this thing that cruising around town isn’t its element. It’ll do it for sure, but with a combined fuel economy of about 13 miles per gallon you probably don’t want to be doing that too often. The Toyo Proxes R888 tires it ships with aren’t what you want to be dealing with when weather strikes, either. The Paradox XY is more like a weekend car, or even better, a track car. It’s really hard to do much better than this on a circuit without forking out multiples of what this thing costs. This car’s “massive” 7 liter V8 isn’t actually as big as you might think, and it only weighs about 425 pounds. The whole car manages to come in at under 3,400 pounds. These days it’s hard to get much lighter than that unless if you go small or use lots of carbon fiber. Along with its lightweight body, the Paradox XY features double wishbone suspension geometry on the front wheels with a multilink rig in the rear. Couple all of that with heaps of downforce, and you have an extraordinarly agile vehicle. Straight from the factory our own test driver managed a 2:00.05 on the Automation Test Track in the car. Try beating that without spending more money.

The car doesn’t look half bad, either. Perhaps not to my personal taste with all of the aggressiveness going on, but it suits a supercar killer like this quite well. There’s a huge grill up front flanked on either side by some very wide wheel arches. It sort of reminds me of a toothed fish with its mouth wide open racing after its prey. I really enjoy the back end of this car. It’s one of the simpler sections of the vehicle, and certainly the cleanest, but it manages to stand out without having too much going on. Beyond that there’s all sorts of aero gadgets littered everywhere working together to keep this machine planted during high speed cornering. Some of it looks pretty good, the rest of it perhaps not so much? But, it’s all there for a reason, a very good one at that, and most potential buyers have likely come to appreciate what aero worship looks like.

To put it simply, the Paradox XY brings you world class speed at a bargain price while providing above average cabin amenities for a track car. Much to the enjoyment of many a motoring enthusiast, you’ll be changing your gears with a shifter and a clutch instead of two paddles while still having the grunt to keep up with more swiftly shifting vehicles. Be mindful, though. All of that grunt seems to come at a cost. There have been reports of customers calling the reliability of Paradox’s GZ70EI in this trim into question. Rumor has it that it’s among the fussiest engines out there in the modern market; however, there aren’t many big V8s left these days, and the classic rear wheel drive and manual transmission combo is starting to show signs of endangerment. Not only has Dimension kept this formula alive, but they have shown it’s not as obsolete as some might think. Just be sure you know this car’s role before you buy one. This is a car for a driver, first and foremost. It’s also a car best suited to track days rather than vacation days. If that sounds alright to you, and you’re starting to grow tired of paddle shifters, downsized engines, turbochargers, and all wheel drive, and you’re longing for the days when big V8s were king, the Paradox XY just might be the car for you.

8 Likes

aLittleWhile reviews…

The 2017 Gryphon Gear “Lilith” Prototype

Gryphon Gear, an outfit whose cars are as impractical and inaccessable as they are ludicrously fast. Many are familiar with the marque, but few have seen one of their creations in person, and even fewer have owned one. As great as a Gryphon Gear is to watch and read about, there isn’t much of a market for them, and that’s an issue that must be addressed if they are to stay afloat. The folks at Gryphon Gear are, of course, aware of this, and they have been working hard to develop a more marketable machine without compromising on their ethos. To cut to the chase, we have a very special opportunity before us today. You and I are going to take a look at a fully functional Gryphon Gear prototype which aims to, in the words of Gryphon Gear lead designer Strop, “…outperform the competition for the same price, while using less fuel to boot.”

So, first off, the competition and the price. Knowing Gryphon Gear you might expect the competition to be still within the upper echelons of street legal performance and the price to be well into six figure territory, “affordable” relative to their previous offerings. Well, not quite. This prototype is still brain-meltingly fast, but even after the monstrous markups necessary for a car of this breed it is projected to sell for a price of about $92,000. While still nothing that your average Joe can justify, it’s quite a surprise coming from the GG gang.

Now, you may be a bit skeptical. $92,000? “brain-meltingly fast”? You want specifics? Well, here they are. 0-62 miles per hour is dealt with in 2.6 seconds, and it keeps on pulling to accomplish 50-75 miles per hour in 1.1 seconds. My track day team clocked a quarter mile time of about 9.66 seconds with a trap speed of 155 miles per hour with Lilith, and Gryphon Gear tells us she’s capable of a top speed of 240 miles per hour. On public road ready, sport compound summer tires she pulls 1.22 gs on the low speed skidpad and 1.42gs on the high speed skidpad. Braking performance is top-notch, slowing down from 62 miles per hour to a complete stop in about 85 feet and 6 inches. In the hands of an experienced driver Lilith is allegedy capable of a sub 7 minute time on the Nürburgring Nordeschleife. We can’t tell you quite what that time would be, but we can tell you that Lilith lapped the Automation Test Track in 1:54.64, and with all of the requisite electronic nannies and predictable, understeering handling behavior it’s not as difficult as you might expect to harness all of that performance. What is this thing supposed to cost again? Oh, that’s right. $92,000.

This prototype features all aluminum construction with pushrod suspension technology making an appearance on both axles. Driving the rear wheels, we have a 4.1 liter twin turbo flatplane crank V8 churning out 848 horsepower, situated mid-ship of course. Despite this vehicle tremendous power figures Gryphon Gear reckons she can achieve of a fuel economy figure of about 24 US miles per gallon combined. I couldn’t help but put such a claim to the test while I was testing Lilith’s manners on public roads, and I’m happy to report that figure is right on the money.

Speaking of road manners, what’s this thing like to drive when you aren’t on a circuit or in Mexico? Well, as you might expect, it’s not bad, it even has a welcome surprise or two in store, but it’s not a particularly luxurious experience. Before I get to the bad, let’s start with the good. The ride quality during more relaxed driving is actually quite nice. Lilith is equipped with progressive springs, which absorb small bumps and road imperfections quite nicely, and despite the behemoth exhaust pipe on this thing she operates rather quietly, especially at lower RPMs. Lilith isn’t incredibly low slung, so clearing curbs and speed bumps shouldn’t be too big of an issue despite not being able to adjust the ride height. As I’ve already mentioned, fuel economy is exceptional for a performer of this caliber, so you should be able to make it more than a few blocks in the city on a single tank unlike other similarly fast cars. Lastly, in spite of utilizing a flatplane crank, Lilith’s V8 is actually rather well balanced. She can’t compete with a luxury car’s V12 for sure, but it’s an impressive level of smoothness from such an engine nonetheless. Gears are changed with a buttery smooth and lightning fast dual clutch automatic, which is a godsend in start-stop traffic. Now, for the bad, although maybe calling it “the bad” isn’t quite appropriate. This car, while it tries to be more well-rounded than previous Gryphon Gear offerings, is still very performance focused as you would expect. This car isn’t pitched as a jack-of-all trades, so some compromise is to be expected, especially at this price point considering what kind of performance you are getting for your relatively meager $92,000. The cabin, while it features exceptional fit and finish and rather sharp looks, ultimately sacrifices quite a bit in the name of weight savings. Racing bucket seats are far from ideal for touring duty. When it comes to the entertainment system, all you get is a big LCD screen with a radio, two speakers, and a USB port meant to be used in conjuction with a smart phone in order to upload and download telemetry and navigation data. Although the system is rather simple, and the sound quality of the speakers may leave something to be desired, the LCD interface is remarkably well executed and a joy to use. So, while Lilith is underequipped inside compared to what other cars these days are offering, at least what little she has to offer works extraordnarily well.

I have to say, this prototype is very promising. I hope you readers appreciated getting this sneak peak as much as I did. If anything like this ends up on the market soon it just might do the trick and solidify Gryphon Gear’s future. It may not be as safe of a bet as an SUV, but I hope it’ll get the job done if this thing sees the light of day. The enthusiast market may not be the biggest, but with Lilith offering million dollar performance for a 5 figure price tag I think she’ll tap into enough of the market to be a success. Before I send you off, I will emphasize that the car we looked at today is a prototype. This may not be an accurate representation of the vehicle that may hit the market soon, but if anything changes I’m confident it will only be for the better. I’m really impressed with the folks at Gryphon Gear. It’d be a shame to see them go under, so I wish the best of luck to them and thank them for giving me the opportunity to take a look at Lilith.

6 Likes

So, some personal things in my life aren’t quite going as expected. Chances are I am going on a hiatus at least from reviewing, if not from these forums entirely. I’m not 100% certain of this yet, but if you don’t see any reviews from me for a while, that’s why.

1 Like

Take care and take your time!

1 Like