[ALR] Automation Live Racing - New Video!

I couldnt compete this round due to issues with my PC, but enjoy my car anyway
Baytoss ABM 69 is powered by 3274cc Boxer 6 with 200HP with RR layout. The engineering choices mean light weight of 1093 Kg. Design was isnspired by various japanese cars of the 80s

3 Likes

if i couldve made my build score more than 2 in GT class then i wouldve defintently entered!

I would’ve loved to join, but my PC has trouble with BeamMP and I wouldn’t want to be a nuisance on race day.

Here’s the poll results!
Lower numbers are better, eg, being ranked first.

This makes for the following line-up:

Heat 1:

Heat 2:

Once again here’s the link to the dropbox:

And voice chat will take place on Nev’s discord:

The race takes place at 1:30PM, US-CST. That’s about 2 hours and 20 minutes from this post. I’ll have a stream up, link here. I’ll begin early so we have a little time to discuss cars.

4 Likes

Event #3 is over!

There’s a video here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/920505162

That’s just the full stream of course. I think twitch VODs expire so I’ll probably upload it to youtube later. I’m not sure if I want to do an edited-down video or just upload the full stream.

5 Likes
Automation Live Racing #4: FWD Showdown slow car lol

Welcome to the the place for live multiplayer racing in BeamNG! This will be a competition to determine the best combination of car and driver.

To play, you will need BeamNG, The BeamMP Multiplayer Mod as well as Automation.
It is also recommended to download the vehicle mods ahead of time, which will be posted before the race.

EVENT RULES

The Race

Track: Ebisu East Higashi, Clockwise. 6 laps. This is a mod map which can be found in the repository, it will also be in the dropbox.
Heats: Maximum 6 cars per heat. Number of heats depends on number of participants.
Qualifying: Qualifying will be based on appearance poll! Top qualifiers will place into new heats first- EG the 2nd best voted car will be 1st on the grid in Heat 2, then 3rd would be either 1st in Heat 3 or 2nd in Heat 1 depending on the number of heats.
Schedule: Race is tentatively scheduled for 1:00PM US-CST on Friday, February 26th. Cars must be submitted by midnight the prior Wednesday!

Submissions

Teams: One driver per team, and one or more car designers. You may be a one-person team. No driver or designer may participate in multiple teams. When submitting your car, include your Driver’s name (BeamMP allows any name for “guests” now) and control type (EG Steering Wheel, Gamepad, Keyboard).
Naming: Name your Model and Engine Family “ALR4-Username” and submit the .car file to me on the forums (not discord).
Schedule: To be included in the poll, and to give time for pre-downloads, cars must be submitted by Noon US-CST on Thursday, February 25th. The race will be in the afternoon the following Friday!
Pre-Download: When the poll goes up, I will make a download of all the BeamNG mod cars available. It is strongly recommended that you download them ahead of time instead of when trying to join the server. Mods go in your BeamMP\Resources folder. This will save a ton of time when joining the server, which could otherwise take up to 30 minutes! This goes double since we are using a mod map.

CAR RULES

Theme

It is 2003, and economy cars are almost exclusively front wheel drive. This has made a very popular market for sport trims of these cars, which are inexpensive due to their sharing a mass-produced platform and retain many of the easy to handle driving characteristics, as well as relatively decent fuel economy and practicality. Now you’re going to race them to see who’s best for some reason. As usual for ALR, these cars will be in dealership configuration, not race-prepped. The winner will prove their manufacturer sells the best FWD sports car, bringing fame and profit.

Inspiration

Car Requirements

Year: Trim year 2003
Total Estimated Cost: $22,000 or less
Service cost: $1600 or less
Maximum Engineering Time: 110
Maximum Production Units: 100
Front Wheel Drive
Seats: Minimum 2 Full front seats
Minimum Quality: -4 on any part
NO wing fixtures
NO “Significantly Reduces Production Efficiency” Items: EG Aluminum panels/chassis, Space Frame, Hand-Built Interior
Minimum Safety: 40
Minimum comfort: 20
MInimum practicality: 48 (This implies 4 seats, mainly hatchbacks)
Minimum Gas Mileage: 20MPG (11.7L/100km)
Tires: No semi-slicks, max 205mm width. Staggered tires may average 205mm width but they are not recommended.

Engine Requirements

Year: Family and Variant 2003 or Earlier
Maximum Engineering TIme: 110
Maximum Production Units: 40
Max Displacement: 1.7cc per KG of total trim weight
NO Turbo
NO Race Parts
Catalytic Converter: Required
Fuel: Regular or Premium Unleaded
Minimum Quality: -4 on any part
Maximum Loudness: 40
Maximum Stress: 10% in any category.

Tips

-Practicality is based mainly on doors and seats, but if you need just a little more, upping your max cargo weight (eg progressive springs), ride height, and cargo volume should help. Most hatchbacks should have no problem, but very compact cars, and coupes might struggle.
-4 cylinder inline engines are usually going to be the best layout.
-Take advantage of ABS!
-This track has a lot of slopes, so good brakes are important. Don’t even think about comfort pads.
-Cars may originate from any country, so use your own judgement on visible safety features like blinkers, crash bumpers etc.
-It is NOT RECOMMENDED to model the interior of cars for BeamNG racing as this tends to add weight in beam and makes the model more complicated.

I am also considering some rule changes for this upcoming event. Last event collisions were a big issue especially since connection from some users was very poor. I may implement some kind of safety flag/pause rule or even turn off collisions altogether (making it unfortunately more of a live time trial). Let me know what you think of this. Lastly, I will be amending the OP soon to have instructions which are common to every race, such as links to the drop box, discord and BeamMP.

REALLY lastly, let me know if anything seems to be missing from the event rules here, etc.

5 Likes

About collisions, doing this without them feels like just doing the time trials for the automation beam championship and I would be quite disappointed without collisions being there. I’d rather see you moving towards giving a stop and go penalty to someone who clearly bumps someone instead. With only 6 cars racing, it’s not very difficult to have an overview on this.
Also, most of the complaints came from the car being overtaken not allowing the other one through. There is not just one good line for a track since everyone is a different driver and with a different car, therefore I don’t think the blame should be placed on the car that’s ahead but instead completely on the car that’s behind. Exception is offcourse if you’re being lapped and you can see a car behind you on your ui map.

My point is: you should not be driving during a race the same way you’re driving during a qualifying lap. You should minimize the risks for you and others. And most importantly, don’t push your car’s nose on someone’s curve line and expect that other someone to just let you through. Be patient, and if you’re clearly much faster than the one ahead then maybe you should be patient and wait for him to do a mistake. I mean, that’s why we’re doing 6 laps.

Regarding the rules: No minimum market?

is VVT allowed?

You can’t always assume that the car in front is completely innocent in all incidents, otherwise the car in front could just swerve around or run the passing car off the track. Although with no mirrors or radar, a lot of the responsibility is placed on the car trying to pass.

No, I agree. I’m not saying the guy ahead can go all over the place all the time. My two example situations are the following:
1 - On a right turn, it normally follows that you start on the left side of the track then cross more or less to the apex of that corner ending up completely on the right side of the track and then you cross again and exit the corner completely on the left side. I don’t think the guy in front should have to adjust anything on his line unless it’s clear there is a car completely at his side(and by completely I mean very much visible on his side and not just with his nose at the level of the middle of the car you’re trying to overtake)
2 - On a straight where you come out of a left turn and the next one is a right turn. In this case you’re natural line is to cross the track completely from one side to the other again. You should be able to do without considering anyone else unless it’s clear that there is a car next to you(not just 50% next to you). In this case it should be even more clear to the car that is trying to overtake that you should try to overtake on the side that’s not the natural line unless you’re just much much faster than the opponent.

I think we generally agree, I’m just saying I think there’s a bit more nuance to it. The driver in front can’t just drive as if they are completely alone on the track, but because of the lack of mirrors and radar a lot of the responsibility falls on the driver behind, as you’re saying. But the second example sounds very much like pushing someone off the track to me.

2 Likes

will this be OB or stable?

I’m thinking we should be okay without a minimum market for this one. I don’t think it should be very possible to make a completely absurd car with the rules I have already. Hopefully I’m not putting my foot in my mouth of course.

VVT is definitely allowed, it’s a distinctive characteristic of some of the cars which inspired this. I will be running OB.

I get what you are trying to say about overtaking, but there are certain rules that a lot of players are used to in sim racing. You are always supposed to leave a gap for other cars on track, and if the car you are racing is 50% alongside then they have the right to the corner.

Often times during the race, myself included, would have made the move and be ahead of the other car, when the other car would then not yield and drive into me taking me out.

This track is much better for overtaking tho. Having big braking zones allows for moves up the inside or outside - as long as the car in front does not move under braking.

Another thing here is, I found that when driving the car in front would be swerving from far right to far left of the track. There was no way I could possibly overtake with this reckless driving, as the car in front was driving unpredictably, and not leaving a space at the outside or inside of any corner

Concerning track limits, I know with an online race it’s impossible to follow them. However, as a general rule, should we aim to keep 2 wheels on the tarmac at all times, or can we run with 4 wheels fully on the kerbs?

Also, arcade ABS in beam allows cars without ABS to have it. Is this allowed?

1 Like

Here is a good video that I recommend people that aren’t experienced with sim racing watch

1 Like

Regarding the big-time sim-racing quadpost, I will say I don’t want to put too much pressure on the drivers with strict rules. Even with careful driving, we’re bound to see some nonsense due to networking. I’m hoping to keep this an event where casual drivers can participate too.

Anyway, there’s just 90 minutes left until the deadline closes. If you’ve been working on a car to submit, now is the time! Even if you’re not sure if you can make it, it’s okay to submit a car.

2 Likes

alr4

3 Likes

ALR #4 Enrants/Poll!

@bilobilo in the Kinden Tiger S: This car weighs in at 1191kg and a DOHC4-I4 makes 222 horsepower. It comes with an LSD.

@ImKaeR in the Husar Inis: This car weighs 1201kg and makes 191hp out of a 5-cylinder motor with a single cam, but direct injection, and an LSD as well. Quite a slick looking car.

@replaY in the Voiture Infime VSR: Weighing in at 995kg, this car makes 189h[ with DOHC. Like many of the cars here, ti also has a geared LSD (which, at -4 quality, is probably notorious for breaking down).

@TCup in the Centuri Io TS: Weighing only 910kg, this car’s AlSi 1.5L I3 still manages an impressive 182hp. It’s not even down to the wire on the fuel efficiency requirement, with a rating of 22mpg. This car also has state of the art wishbone/multilink suspension, allowing for a relatively cheap interior which keeps the weight down. Transmission is a 4MT (a cost-cutting measure presumably) with a geared LSD. This car also has reverse-staggered tires: the fronts are 20mm wider than the rears.

@Pugehenis in the, uh… Come on man this isn’t the naming scheme…

I’ll just rename it the Shitcan. Actually, it’s the Shitcan Eco Edition, because I had to tweak it to meet the gas mileage requirement. The final product weighs 1197kg and makes 213hp. It’s also got the most extreme staggered tires here, with the fronts being 40mm wider. This car also comes equipped with an auto trans and viscous LSD. Plus, magnesium wheels, a surprising choice on a car that isn’t that light altogether.

@Deltaz in the Orn Mini (once again with an umlaut I can’t be bothered to copy). This… boldly syled car weighs an amazing 850kg and makes 170hp from a 1440cc engine, taking advantage of AHS steel for the chassis construction. Also includes 225/185 tire stagger, 4mt trans with an LSD, and a pretty simple interior.

@stigx24536 in the Bing! With branding that implies this car might be a motor scooter for legal purposes, this car is also extremely light at 857kg, taking advantage of an expensive semi-spaceframe construction and aluminum chassis material. a 3-cylinder motor makes 167hp, this car has fancy suspension, and a 4mt with a… manual locking diff. I’m not sure if the strategy will be to lock it in on the straights in Beam or something. Also includes a Basic interior and no ABS, unlike most of the cars here, presumably as cost cutting for the expensive chassis (and +7 quality tires!!!). This car also wins the award “most hated by Automation markets”.

@nev in the Thistle Kelpie. Weighing 919kg and making 182 horsepower from an I3 with direct injection, this is another car with an auto trans and a manual locking diff, an unusual piece of equipment. This also uses the semi space frame aluminum construction and sacrifices ABS for cost. Also, staggered tires. Fun fact, I looked it up and apparently the Audi RS3 has an option for wider front tires from the factory. The more you know!

@Nova in the Phizz. This is another car with a name that sounds like an electric bicycle, and also, didn’t follow the ALR4-Username convention. Boo! That aside, this shooting brake is the largest and heaviest car in the field, weighing 1273kg and making 192hp. There are some odd decisions in here, like a Billet Steel crankshaft (requiring an expensive CnC workshop in campaign mode!) which is entirely unnecessary except for saving 1.7kg. It also has a ladder frame, and runs on regular gas instead of premium. Actually, I’m just going to bump this one up to premium gas and 207hp out of pity. Hopefully that doesn’t cause too much wheelspin, this is one of the only cars running an open diff.

Lastly, with a slightly late submission, @TheColoredCow with the Tenryu Salka XP. This four door sedan weighs 1172kg and makes 207hp from a SOHC 4 cylinder. Staggered tires, LSD, no ABS.

One late car but this time it’s my fault because he sent the file yesterday. @pcmoreno in the Winthorpe Lemon. Continuing a tradition of… controversial looks, we have this. At 1025kg and 189hp, this car takes advantage of a semi-spaceframe design and then has negative quality everywhere to stay on budget. I even had to decrease gearbox quality by 2 ticks because it was $200 over budget when I got it, making this the Budget Edition.

Here is the link to the survey!
Remember, this determines qualifying position.

Lastly, don’t forget to download the files before race day. It’s more this time because a track is included.

2 Likes