American Road Trip Challenge [finished]

When i first opened this i thought of Roadkill with Freiburger and Finnegan. Ill probably enter this challenge with something silly.

1 Like

I would suggest no options to change or tweak designs between challenges, that way we can see which is best for the unpredictable. The trick is to make something that is good for a variety of uses and hope they fall in with the challenges. Otherwise, you’re just out of luck.

I was the first to arrive in my Flug, and as you’d expect, I’ve done this PROPERLY!

I’d also suggest that you don’t restrict the car year to just 2016. What if we go with any car, but the older it is the more worn it is and less reliable it is. At the same time since they’re used, they could have less restrictive budged (pretending we got them cheaper in 2016). You could give some sort of a penalty % for older cars performance to counter this. I’d totally roll up in something from the 80’s

I think it’s just supposed to be a comparison of modern manufacturers automobiles.

I am rolling up with an 80’s pony car I have just set the date for 1985 to tune and build and then reverting it to 2016 for pricing

That similar to what i was going to do, i am going to use an old body and “do an LSx swap” with one of my newest v8s

so I am all set to go but I must ask with the exhaust note if i am 45.7 can I still qualify? I rally want to use race trumpets and I am .7 off and cannot go lower…Pleeeeeeeeeeeease

in case you didn’t notice
he said both model and trim. not just the trim. unless he specified otherwise and change that.

sooooo meanwhile, here i am living with ‘regular’ fuel that is subsidized with 88 octane, though i rarely buy that

also i just realised.
l/100km is actually pretty weird
UK and US mpg -> bigger number is better
km/l -> bigger number is better
l/100km -> lower number is better

And i did notice its just a matter of transferring file etc so that i have a 2016 trim that has the exact same vents and lights etc. Mine will be using a stroker ford 427 sohc, stroked to 537ci thanks to a custom billet crank, the bores were removed from the block before a new set of sleeves were machined in to accept the new larger pistons she looks like this so far.

About the fuel, 87 AKI is regular in the us (equivalent to about 91 RON) and 91 AKI is premium (equivalent to about 95 RON)

That’s all the fuel octanes around the Midwest, other areas (California for example) may have more available.
Oh, and only one station within a 25 mile radius of me has E-85 (85% ethanol).[quote=“Darkshine5, post:50, topic:16125”]
And i did notice its just a matter of transferring file etc so that i have a 2016 trim that has the exact same vents and lights etc
[/quote]
This /\ (quote above) /\ is probably what I will do to make a restomod out of one of my existing muscle cars.

wow really? here in Australia even where I am we have regular which is 91 ron, premium 95ron, premium 98ron, all of the above with a 10% ethanol blend, LPG, diesel, and diesel premium. In the cities you can get 104 (i think) ron 85% ethanol blend. All from pump

yep. Most stations carry 87 and 89 AKI with a 10% blend of ethanol. Most that carry 91 AKI are ethanol free.

Edit: And e85 has an octane rating around 100 AKI or better

clarification. i mean the regular is 88RON. although the government recently introduced a new fuel to replace it that has 90RON but it’s still not as widespread.

and any sort of biofuel mix unheard of. i’m assuming that 10% is what drives the octane number up by a bit

I hope this takes off soon, I have an idea built that I think will do well.

Actually the other way around. L/100km is the only one not weird. First off metric is the clearest measuring system (100 cm = 1 meter, 1000 meters = 1 kilometer etc, unlike 12 inches is 1 foot, 3 feet is 1 yard, 1780 yards is 1 mile etc. Nice round numbers are clearest).

So with that :
US MPG is "How many 1.608 kilometer stretches can you drive per 3.78 liters.
And KM/L is just an MPG converted to Australian units of liters and kilometers, and used as far as I know in Aus and NZ exclusively, since it’s a carry over method of american fuel economy measurements.
L/100km is a simple matter of “how economical the car is” or “how little fuel will it chug to go a set distance of 100 km”

:stuck_out_tongue:

ok, it’s not metric vs imperial so we’ll get rid of MPG out of the equation

km/l is how far can you reach with a set amount of fuel, which is 1 liters.(btw it is used everywhere on the east)
but
l/100km is how much the car needs to reach a certain amount of distance, which is 100km
sure km/l is just mpg done in metric.

let’s say you have a full tank of 10l, how far can you approximately go?

which is easier to calculate in your head?

with km/l you just do (rated economy * fuel tank capacity)
with l/100km you do ((fuel tank cap / rated economy)*100)

which is why i think km/l makes more sense and more ‘intuitive’ so to say.

also, living where small motorbike are everywhere and holding only about 3.5l of fuel max, it makes even less sense for my area

I think they both make sense, honestly. Just whichever one you use regularly makes more sense to you. I’m American, so MPG makes more sense to me than km/l or l/100km, but they both make sense.

MPG, it’s easier to figure out how far you can go with the fuel you have.

L/100km, it’s easier to figure out how much fuel you need to make your trip.

Both make sense, but as started, whichever you typically use more often will make more sense to you.

Extremely True. Is the only style of fuel economy I actually understand. (and l/100km, but I prefer KM/l

Well km/l is the unit used in pretty much all Latin America AFAIK (but here in my country both are used).
And to me it’s easier to figure it my mind (I’m doing an 8 km trip, so I need DISTANCE / AMOUNT OF FUEL= 8KM / 10KM/L = 0.8 liters instead of FUEL / FIXED DISTANCE * TRIP DISTANCE = 10L / 100KM x 8KM= 0.8L).

EDIT: oops, I screwed up the formulae :stuck_out_tongue:

Time to watch National Lampoon’s Vacation to get some inspiration about an “American Road Trip”.

1 Like