Are the Cars too slow in BeamNG?

Well, this is my Car. It’s a 2007 Opel Combo 1.3 CDTI, it has 170Nm from 1800 to 2700rpm and 75PS at 4000.
It has plenty of damaged Plastic, and Panel Gaps large ebough to get your entire Arm stuck in rather embarassing Ways.
Yet, on the Autobahn, without Roof Racks and with Summer Tires, it will do 160km/h GPS average, at about 8.5l/100km.
I have not yet managed to build any Car ingame that achieves 160 with 75PS, without going Crazy on the Quality Sliders.

This is a Trabant, with 26PS, and even with the Speedo being a tad Optimistic, they definetly run well over 100km/h, even with Aerodynamics that would require an actual Brake Chute to be any worse.
Yet ingame a 26hp Car will have trouble doing even 90.

Even the most Aerodynamic ingame Cars are worse than my Beater Turbo Diesel.

I drove one of these early 90s Meganes, and with a 1.4l 8V and 75PS, 14" Wheels, that were bent to hell and shaking the Steering Wheel 20°, and running on 3 of 4 Cylinders, it still did well over 170km/h, because it’s a pretty clean car.

2 Likes

Imo the cars are too slow on beamNG yeah, I made a 150hp Toyota MR-ish car, just 1 ton, and cannot reach 200 km/h… (the VMAX is something like 190km/h or less)

1 Like

yes I’d be inclined to agree, the drag calculations in Beam are awfully high. I can’t quite quantify by how much, but most cars seem to reach a good 10-15% less top speed than I would have thought them capable of.

3 Likes

I think another factor that may be part of it is that weight is different as well, since beam cars are a good amount heavier because of fuel.

Weight has virtually no influence on Top Speed if Tire Pressures are corrected.

Power differences between what you see in Automation and what you see in beam are another contributing factor.

If you want something with a 3.0 turbo I6 and 300hp at the crank in Beam, make it with ~315 at the crank in Automation. (Not like I was making an N55 replica or anything)

I can’t really answer in terms of top speed, but in terms of “scariness” it’s the opposite. My old Micra dci turbo diesel ( 1 ton kerbweight, 86bhp, 200nm at 1900rpm) often felt slow out of town. However, it took several hours for me to learn to not crash 100hp cars in BeamNG. Probably because i don’t play any driving games (other than Euro Truck Sim 2) and I’m terrible at it… also the lack of “seat of pants feel” perhaps

Funnily enough the Combo with its only 75hp and 1.5tons with me and my Stuff on Board doesn’t feel slow at all. It isn’t fast by any means, but it isn’t really slow either.
It certainly is fun to drive, and I love it any time I get in it.

I know what properly fast Cars are like, and my BMW R100RT will do 100 in 4 Seconds, but I’m not missing any of it in the Combo.

I just tried to build a 75 PS (55.1 kW) little van and I get a Top Speed in the openbeta of 176 km/h. Seems reasonable to me. You might have chosen a car body with abnormal amounts of drag.

140 Tops with a little sedanModel 10 - Trim 10.car (20.6 KB)

Dude, are you trolling me?
That car is completely fucked up, of course it doesn’t get any faster when it looks like this:

Have a look at my example car here, which works to a degree that it could be sold into the market, unlike your example :stuck_out_tongue:

Example - Trim 6.car (13.4 KB)

4 Likes

Mine looks completely different.

Model 10 - Trim 10.car (20.6 KB)

For me your Car is only half Finished as well though. This is what mine actually looks like. Engine Numbers are exactly Renault Megane 1.4 8V

Hmm, yeah that looks better. Must be some issue with importing / exporting then, best we look into that. Or are you running a different version of the game maybe? I’m using the latest openbeta branch build. :slight_smile:
Those numbers are looking good, are there any issues with them?

Edit: yeah, there must be something wrong with the engine import, there is no way this should valve float at 4600 RPM, we’ll have a look at that. Sorry about me thinking you messed it up (we’ve had many cases of that before, so I jumped to conclusions :wink: )

Turned out nothing is bugged, it is just that the game has changed. You set the top end quality to -15, which in the current open beta version makes the engine valve float like crazy.

2 Likes

Model 1 - Trim 1.car (25.2 KB)
This is made in the Open Beta. Barely does 140 in BeamNG

Does about 180+ IRL Renault Megane I 1.4 8V ECO vmax licznikowe top speed - YouTube

We have no influence over the speed of the cars in BeamNG, as they are doing their own aero calcs. If the speed in Automation is fine then that is as much as we can get right. At some point we may be able to implement more dynamic aero calculations, but that is out of scope for the core game.

2 Likes