Articles I find [Crack down on Aftermarket for not meeting EPA Emissions Standards]

#This thread is now where I will share interesting articles I find (that are related to cars of course!)

interesting Article i found while i should be sleeping… so, here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-carmakers-forced-back-bigger-engines-emissions-era-105041893--finance.html

3 Likes

Nothing new.

5 Likes

I figured the writing was on the wall for those little engines, especially with ever increasingly overzealous safety regulations. Automakers simply aren’t gonna be able to properly engineer these cars without cutting some corners or inflating the price. And either way, that reduces the number of people willing to buy which hurts revenue even more. If something isn’t done eventually, the whole thing could go nuts.

Smaller engines with the same power means hotter combustion temperatures and more NOx production, reducing the temperature and pressure means a small reduction in economy but greatly reduced emissions. The economy can be regained in weight lightening and more advanced cam systems. With Infiniti’s variable compression engine already entering production and Koenigsegg’s free valve system getting to the prototype phase, we will likely be seeing far more advanced engines coming out in the coming years.

8 Likes

i’m guessing this is just another stopgap until they either get HCCI engine feasibly working on a car, or until electric motors takes over. whichever comes first.

actually, is there an emission standard for generator engines for home use?

there might be. I know in the us we have some emissions regs for lawn mowers and other small motors now.

to generate electricity with a home generator, and then power a car. would that actually produce less emissions overall then???..

also. if mazda really bring up the rotary back, is there any reason to not bring back 2 strokes but with direct injection?

I think that generating power with a combustion engine and then using it in an electric one is probably far more ecological (and efficient) as the generator works all the time at it’s most optimal rev range - as if it was powering a cruising car.

There were experiments in 90s by Chrysler and GM (if I remember correctly) with 2 strokes, and it turned out that making a 2 stroke match modern requirements for emissions, efficiency, reliability, oil usage and so on would effect in a 2 stroke as complex as modern 4 stroke, and then it was considered to make no sense.

Mazda stayed on the correct positiom making a really well done engines with the Skyactiv technology.

3 Likes

which is the idea for Range Extender hybrid cars.

but then again here’s another question. a bigger more efficient engine, or smaller lighter but less efficient engine?

as, well, bigger engine is more weight, but is the extra efficiency enough to compensate for the extra weight it needs to lug around?

i remember reading something about a mazda 3 being experimented on, making a range extender hybrid out of it, BUT, the generator engine is a 330cc single rotor, rotary engine. i don’t know where that went though.

If they’re going to drive the wheels with electric motors, they need to use the engine purely as a generator. Which is why it makes no sense to stick relatively big gas engines in them since engine horsepower doesn’t make a difference.What they should use is a small diesel engine optimized to make torque at low revs to save fuel and increase service life ( some electric trucks even use turbine engines due to their adaptability to different fuel types and whatnot).

4 Likes

Here’s some more fun news (that you may already know) but with better descriptions on the case of:

###Cheating Emissions Testing

Edit:
does this just add fuel to the fire about overly-restrictive emissions requirements, or is it a case of blatant non-compliance by automakers?

[click-bait title] Sport SUVs are becoming in! [/click-bait fitle]

But in all seriousness, here’s an article about a decline in sports car sales for the Baby Boomers

2 Likes

They gotta ruin everything don’t they

Sometimes I think all the people complaining about boomers are just bitter but eventually it seems like they may be justified.

In other words, we’ve failed to teach younger people that non-automated driving can be a great thing and source of enjoyment. People think they need cars because they are lazy but they don’t really want a car so they go for something thats comfortablish and looks kind of good.

CROSSOVERS

4 Likes

KILL ME

5 Likes

After reading about Ford’s GAA engine in WWII, I started doing more research around it and stumbled upon this:

Really Cool Read!

##AWD Challenger!

The 2017 Dodge Challenger GT!
Check it out!

If only more people who have driver’s licenses could actually drive, now it would be great and most of these awd things wouldn’t be needed.

The thing though is that AWD doesn’t really help not crashing in slippery conditions.

1 Like