Automation 10K Classic Car Auction and Rally (A10KCCAR) (or 10KCAR) [cancelled]

inspired by MrChips’ Auctions, Private_Miros’ B-spec challenge, the Mallorca Classic Car Rally and Top Gear

Automation 10K Classic Car and Auction Rally

So what is this challenge?

Loosely inspired by the Top Gear Classic Car Rally Challenge, 20 (or more) cars will be built by selected builders (owners) ranging from model years 1955-1975.
The cars will be varied, from typical boring European sedans, stylish and robust Japanese sportscars, handsome but unreliable British roadsters, or those abysmal American hatchbacks.
Cars will be auctioned off to racers who have a maximum budget of $10000 to spend on a car. (people who built cars cannot purchase their own cars, but can purchase others)
Cars will then be raced on time attack courses and will recieve points, whoever racer recieves the most points, wins. Points will also be awarded and deducted for reliability, drivability and prestige scores.

When will this challenge start?

Preferably sometime this coming summer, after this ruleset can be refined as much as possible.

How will this work?

I have made a little impromptu ruleset, take a look!

Oh, and please read this little “guidebook” as well! A lot of the extra rules are laid out here.

Builder rules:

• Car must have a model and trim year, as well as family and variant year ranging from 1955-1975.
  • No SUVs, trucks or vans.
  • No racecars, rally cars, homolgation special cars, high performance sports cars, or the like.
  • Mid mounted engines are banned.
  • Cars with rear-mounted engines will be allowed on a case-by-case basis. (Basically don’t make a Porsche thanks)
  • Any engine above 6 cylinders are banned.
  • Minimum displacement of 997cc
  • Maximum displacement of 2500cc
  • Fuel type limited to 91 RON Unleaded/92 RON Leaded depending on era.
  • Mechanical Fuel Injection is banned on cars before 1972
  • Race parts are banned
  • Minimum limit of 2 full seats
  • Semi-slick tires are banned.
  • Maximum of 10+ quality points may be used for both engine and trim together.
Quality points example

+1 quality on the heads, +3 on the fuel, +1 on the exhaust for a total of 5 for the engine.
+2 quality on interior, +2 on tires, +1 on brakes for a total of 5 on the trim and a total of 10 for both the engine and trim together.

• Quality points CANNOT reach negatives.
  • Builders/Sellers must specify the car’s condition, utilizing the chart I made below.
  • Don’t build strictly for Automation statistics. Or in other words, no minmaxing. If something seems silly and unrealistic, stop it. If you need help and are wondering if something is realistic, it is preferable to ask for help on the Discord.
  • A maximum of 3 cars can be submitted per person.
  • Anyone is free to submit a car to be auctioned.

Cars to be expected

1971 Toyota Celica 1600 GT
toyota_celica_1600_gt_8

1972 Mitsubbibushieushi Galant GTO

1966 Morris Mini
1966_austin_mini-pic-4323013489892244117-640x480

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

1961 MG Midget

1959 Renault Dauphine
Renault-Dauphine-France-1959b

1959 Citroen DS

1964 Chevrolet Corvair heh i dare you
corvair

1971 AMC Gremlin

Purchasing rules:

• You have a maximum of 10,000$ to purchase and modify a car.
  • You can only purchase 1 and modify car.
  • If you have purchased a car less than 10,000$, you can spend the remaining amount of money on car modifications which will be calculated by the amount of money in trim and engine material costs increased.
  • You must register as a racer in order to purchase a car. A maximum of 20 people will be selected to purchase a car. (First come, first served basis.)

Modification rules:

• Trim years may not be changed.
  • Engine variant years may not be changed
  • Engine swaps are prohibited
  • Quality sliders may not be changed. (Except for Safety)
  • If you had bought a car worth $10,000, you cannot do any modifications other than:
    -Changing tyres to semi-slicks
    -Aesthetic modifications
    -Adding of ballast
  • Additional material costs may not exceed the amount of money deducted after a car has been purchased. (In other words, if you have bought a car worth $7000, this means you can do modifications to the car that cannot add more than $3000 to the material costs)
  • Tyres must be semislicks
  • Changing of bore/stroke is banned
  • Changing of head type is banned
  • Intakes and exhausts may be changed to anything.
  • Carburetted engines cannot be switched to fuel injected.
  • Changing of Compression Ratios and Cam Profiles is banned.
  • Changing of transmission type and gear spacing is banned.
  • Minimum limit of 2 full seats
  • Springs, dampers and sway bars cannot be switched out.
  • Fender morphing is the only form of body morphing allowed.
  • Maximum amount of downforce for any car is 100kg on both front and rear ends.
  • Minimum weight depending on rate is listed in guidebook. Only applies to modified cars!
  • TIP: If your car is underweight, you can use Advanced Safety and quality sliders to increase weight in order to reach the required minimum.

Required Aesthetic Modifications:

• Rally lights (Don’t be Toyota and overdo it, thanks)
  • Driver number must be clearly visible on at least 2 bodypanels and top right of windshield
  • Car rate on passenger’s side window
  • Small driver country flag on driver’s side window
  • (Optional) Livery with the listed sponsors
  • (Optional) Mudflaps

Cars to be expected, but modified

Toyota Celica

Austin Mini

Austin Healey Sprite

Renault Dauphine

Point system:

For lap times:
  • Condition factor number will be added to lap time.
  • For every second above [Set car’s lap times, preferably a modern and reasonably priced car], car will recieve 1 point.
  • For every second below [SCLTPMRPC], car will have 1 point reduced.
  • For every second above previous car’s lap time, car will recive 1 point.
  • For every second below leading car’s lap time, car will have 1 point reduced.
For reliability/drivability/prestige:
  • Condition factor number will be deducted from reliability, prestige, drivability, sportiness etc.
  • For every half point above [Set car’s reliability, prestige, drivability. Preferably a modern and reasonably priced car], car will recieve 1 point.
  • For every quarter point below [SCRPDPMRPC], car will have 1 point reduced.

The 10 courses will be based on short hillclimb tracks worldwide (preferably 5-10km long).

HELP WANTED!

Looking for:

• Someone good at making tracks.

Deadline for auctioned cars is PST 00:00 July 8th, 2020.

Naming scheme for cars:

Model/Family Name: A10KCCAR - *username*

Trim Name: Manufacturer + Car model name + Car trim level
Variant Name: whatever, engine etc

Cars are to be submitted via PMs

Condition Factor Chart

1 - Restored condition
2 - Excellent condition
3 - Good condition
4 - Decent conditon
5 - Rough Condition

Registered Racers list:

18 Likes

How will a car’s price be calculated? Will that be based solely on its approximate price in the market tab? If not, what other factors will affect pricing?

a cost calculator will be made for this based on CSR used car calculators

1 Like

seems kinda bloated and difficult to decipher, especially considering the wording used

i.e.:

what is the difference between “Very not good” and “bad”??

What’s the motivation to not make your car have a fatal flaw (or flaws) to weaken the competition?

I would imagine it would be checked by the host and binned as it should

I’m looking forward to the cost calculator on this, but I feel like American hatchbacks might be difficult if the cost allowance sticks around market value.

But how would you check? Unless we were meant to make a minmaxed car, it wouldn’t be obvious when it’s terrible. It could just be an example of how crappy cars got in the 60s. Everybody could make the abysmal American hatch and cross their fingers one guy makes a solid sports car and they get it.

So with the quality points, is it the total of all the points must be between +10 and -10 or all points a racked up regardless of if it’s positive or negative (i.e. 5 -1s and 1 +5 is 10 points distributed)?

the wording doesn’t really mean much lol
Condition Factors will basically tell how many (seconds, tenths of seconds, TBD) will be added to your lap time, or how much sportiness, reliability, driveability or prestige it has lost to simulate the car’s conditon over the years.
Condition Factors will also help in computing the car’s selling price in the auction.
simplified: the higher the condition factor, it becomes shittier, slower and less desirable, but it becomes slightly cheaper
And if anyone is wondering, there will be a special award for the most expensive car to be sold.

all cars to be auctioned are to reach a certain minimum PWR (likely depending on their displacement class), and modified cars will have a maximum PWR as well (also likely depending on their displacement class)
And as i stated in the rules, minmaxing is strictly prohibited.

i don’t exactly know what you mean, but you seem to be overcomplicating it.
Quality points cannot reach negatives (I’ll put it in the rules later). You have a maximum of 10 quality points to spend in total for both the engine and the trim together. For example:
+1 quality on the heads, +3 on the fuel, +1 on the exhaust for a total of 5 for the engine.
+2 quality on interior, +2 on tires, +1 on brakes for a total of 5 on the trim and a total of 10 for both the engine and trim together.
(I’ll likely add this to the rules to prevent people from being confused)

Hope this clarified some things :slight_smile:

Adding on to what variation said, there will also be a modification mechanic that will allow you to improve the performance of the car you end up with. I won’t spill too much tea, but the calculator I’m working on will make sure that things are relatively balanced in the end in terms of having enough room for modding.

So suppose I made a car that’s very nose-heavy, RWD and on leaf springs to kill rear traction with a long-stroke 3L to force it to be torque-heavy and lots of trim to make it high weight/high power. How could that be discouraged? With that setup you’d have atrocious Gs and wheelspin but it’s realistic because Americans like wildly impractical boats and it’d be expensive due to the modcons and pseudo-sportiness.

(I intend to make a TVR-esque car btw.)

This is what I needed clarification on. See I wanted to lower quality on some parts to give more points to necessary parts without raising the price too much. (To a reasonable degree for a British roadster.)

I wonder, could the minimum displacement requirement be lowered to say, 800cc? Many Japanese kei cars of the 60s and 70s had 660cc engines and small engines in small hatchbacks like the mini weren’t uncommon. Furthermore, it’d make for some very light cars that would encourage fine tuning.

660cc wasn’t actually until 1990, 550cc at 1976, so the era in which this challenge takes place would require for 360cc engines to be permitted for Kei cars.

Ah, my mistake. Well, what about having no minimum engine displacement? I don’t think the submissions will turn out any different than with the current minimum.

when are we going to see the cost calculator? (I plan on Crafting something in the vain of a certain 3L V8 Triumph) Also i think MechFI should be allowed from 68 onwards because it did pop up sometimes starting around then. Would it also be possible to get a capacity limit Increase to 3250cc?

Unfortunately it cannot be discouraged without banning of American automobiles. However, since the main cars that I were looking for in this challenge aren’t impractical American boats luckily, this can be hopefully avoided.
And since you said it, I’m very likely considering lowering the displacement limit more to avoid this.
(Possibly also prohibiting leaf-springs because almost no one except the Americans used it in their “sportscars”)
Leafsprings are apparently pretty common and thus they will still be allowed.

Seeing as a certain someone is pushing for stupidly unbalanced vehicles and supporting unsportsmanlike conduct, I shall be considering this.
Oh, almost forgot why I wanted a minimum displacement; Some certain people might decide to be an asshole and just dump the smallest engine possible and leave someone with a shitty meme, and so the minimum engine displacement limit will continue to be in place.

Not until nearing the opening, unfortunately.
For the cars I’m looking for, they don’t seem to have been equipped with MFI, and based on my research even in 1972 they were mostly limited to high performance automobiles (not really what I’m looking for) and American boats (most definitely not what I’m looking for).
And about the capacity limit, refer to the above.

5 Likes

Alright, fair enough. Though if a car with less than 1200cc of displacement performs remarkably well, would you make an exception?

In the ruleset, it states that rear engines are allowed for sedans and other such cars. I’m assuming that this includes coupe bodies that have a sedan trim?

If you want to make a 360cc Kei car, you’re not really going to be getting over 30HP. At which point you will be severely lacking in any kind of performance no matter how well you build it…