Automation Beginners League - season 82/83 drawing to an end!

Ahhh as is expected…so close. And my Position right now is okay. I don’t expect to be competitive at Hockenheim and the 1\2 mile drag

##CAR REVIEWS

Newtonmeter - DFM Rally Prototype

Shock! That’s what I felt when first saw this car, probably due to not being used to this design style. After a second glance it isn’t bad, actually the front looks quite good, the rear is a little plain, but not bad, the problem is that huuuuge wide-body.

This tiny hatchback is powered by a 3.6L V8 N/A, it have a great acceleration and an amazing cornering capability, but being a rally prototype it lacks top-speed, which mean it’s only good in slower circuits.

I need to say that it was well adapted to the asphalt, if wasn’t for this little mistake it could be the champion.

LaffingHyena - Sutol

Sutol’s body is well designed, there are some things that don’t match, like the rear lip (too small) or the fog-lights (too modern), but, hey, it has retractable head-lights!

Even though it’s a mid-mounted engine it isn’t very good at corners, it depends a lot of his acceleration and final speed delivered by the 4.0L naturally aspirated V8, being a monster at the fast tracks.

MarcoAlla - Marcos RS

Blaspemy! That’s what it is! A strangely good looking blasphemy!

This non-Porsche body is mounted with a FR layout 4.5L naturally aspirated V8, what a shame, no turbo-6 at the rear. At least it has retractable head-lights.

Being at every limit of the rules, it has a good top-speed and cornering capability but lack on acceleration, so tight tracks aren’t it’s best.

##AirJordan - Smooth Begie

This one looks like if a granny took some LSD and decided to design another blasphemy in form of car and to paint it the same color as her underwear.

Even though it’s under penalty rules it still show good numbers, the acceleration is decent and the top-speed and cornering are on point, but looks like the penalty was really hard this time.

##FrankNSTein - FSR Futura R

This round we have quite the strange looking grid…

The Futura is like the name says: futuristic. I couldn’t form an opinion about it, since I couldn’t decided is I liked it or not.

Under the bonnet it packs a 3.2L Turbo-V6, but probably due to the turbo-lag the acceleration is only acceptable, so it can’t keep the pace at the corner exit.

##JohnWaldock - JHW P-76T

Look what we have here! A mid-engine mounted pick-up! What a rare sight.

Just like the rest of the grid it looks strange, the front is acceptable, but the rear… please someone smash this rear!

The 4.0L V8 gives good acceleration and top-speed, but the P-76T can’t corner at all, so I wouldn’t bet in this one.

##Nialloftara - CPV Widowmaker Turbo 4.8

Finally a good looking car! And a proper RR Turbo with carbs, I’m crying! It’s a 8-cyl, but nothing can be perfect, right?

Ok, now I took a second glance and WTF? It has HotWheels rear tyres! Someone forgot about aerodynamics.

The acceleration and top-speed are great, but the cornering isn’t quite there, maybe because the rear wheels don’t fit the track.

##Vri404 - Hodan ABL V8 Spectre

This Hodan must be good to look at, when it’s painted in a color that you can see something.

It uses a SOHC 3.5L Turbo-V8 that is full of turbo-lag, meaning it can’t accelerate at all. The engineers forgot to tune the suspension too, so it handle like an north-american bathtub.

With a little more dedication this car would be great.

##Crossworks - Evolution 3008T

We have a generation conflict here: the rear grille don’t fit this car, it was acquired from a time-traveler that brought it from the far future.

Other than that this sedan looks great! The small outside intercooler is funny, but not bad.

The engine however is insanely small: 1.8L V8 fitted with a turbo to generate lag until 6000rpm, when the power come, breaking the driver’s neck, and goes until the top of 299hp at 8400rpm. That’s 81hp under the limit.

Even with this crazy engine it accelerate faster than the Hodan, surprisingly, but it doesn’t mean it accelerates fast, because it don’t, and it corner like shit.

##HighOctaneLove - Bogliq Dolphin AE

I’m starting to like more this grid, apparently the best looking cars were left to the final. As always the blue Bogliq is good looking.

Sadly this car is heavy, it weights 158kg over the minimum, so it isn’t too good at corners, but the acceleration isn’t too bad and the top-speed is quite high, almost 300km/h.

##Gridghost - Aurora MR

Another beautiful car, this time a boxy shaped body with proper retractable head-lights and indicators. This design was really well thought, apparently a lot of effort was put in it.

The engine is a 2.8L Tubo-V8, that just like the other turbo cars of the grid has lots of turbo-lag, but this one have a good acceleration, actually.

The problem is the cornering capabilities that are quite low, the fault probably lays on the body and at the soft suspension.

##Xoury - Sabre TVR 2

Really good looking, but a little too modern, I think, but with a 5.8L V6 at the boot it can be forgiven.

This car acceleration in insane, just like the Rally one, but instead of the speed limit problem, this one problem lays at the super-soft suspension: it corner like a Reliant Robin. The springs have almost no hardness, just like the front damper, it bottom out a lot.

5 Likes

Uh, I think you got some pictures around the wrong way…

2 Likes

Thanks!

Fixed.

3 Likes

I think I just noticed something a bit weird.
Didn’t I have a car that was called the aurora from last season?

1 Like

If you wonder if I stole your design… nah, i got it from here: Scandinavian Car and Racing AB (Scarab) Designs '65 - '17 but theres just so many ways you can design this body, sadly

I made it as a BRC-car but didn’t get to enter it. So a slight redesign made it good to go here instead.

1 Like

Next results are in. First event in 1977 was the half mile drag-race. As to be expected, the rear- and mid-engine cars had quite an advantage here, with @nialloftara, @Xoury and @laffinghyena doing the best half-mile times seen in the ABL so far. Fastest front-engined car is the FSR Futura in 4th place, more than a second behind the top 3.

7 Likes

I didn’t think you stole anything, I just thought it was weird that it had the same name

Yeah, could be worse with my short track killer.

Hockenheim.

5 Likes

And the Story continues :slight_smile: yeah i think I’am not gonna make it in the top3 . No penalty :grin:

2 Likes

Aaaaand the last event, Silverstone. The usual suspects in 1st and 2nd and this time, the FSR car in 3rd. @Newtonmeter made 4th.

1977 results are @Xoury in 1st with a score of 44 (one point off the maximum!), @nialloftara one point behind with 43, and a tie between @laffinghyena and me, @FrankNSTein, with 37 points.

Added up with 1976, we get @Xoury in first, @nialloftara, even without aero, in 2nd, and @laffinghyena in 3rd. Those three will have to deal with the winner’s penalty in the next season :imp:

4th place is again me, @FrankNSTein, 5th and 6th are the penalized cars with only 340hp, @Newtonmeter and @AirJordan, @gridghost got 7th with their 2.8L turbo Aurora, @MarcoAlla who only really excelled at Spa, is 8th.

@HighOctaneLove finished 9th with what looks like only a lightly tuned street car, @JohnWaldock with the pickup in 10th and @Crossworks and @Fayeding_Spray took places 11 and 12.

7 Likes

nothing if not consistent

1 Like

Just leaving a thought for the next rounds rules: everyone gets a choice between two base engines that you must tune and build a car around. Engine 1 is a turbo I4 while engine 2 is a naturally aspirated pushrod V8. Specifics will be worked out soon, but what do you think of the premise?

You will hate me on that one but how many hours do you plan to spend on balancing performacne of this two?
Anyway, I do think single body or engine challenge could also be fun someday.
Oh and another thing about penalties:
How about previous top 3 still get penalty, but only 50%? So we have 3 cars with full penalty, 3 cars (that proved to be fast before) with some penalty and others trying to finnaly win it.

2 Likes

I see the point, and I know this will take extensive balancing, but that’s why we’re 3 people running this challenge :wink:

I already have two prototype engines tuned for maximum useable power I could achieve, tested in multiple cars on multiple tracks and I have a rough idea of how the displacements should go. Before we start the next round I’ll have Ram and/or Nomade look over them if they can find any more performance.

(Of course there’s still a chance one of them ends up being faster. 10 to 15 participants certainly can find more tweaks than the 3 of us do.)

About the penalty thing, that’s actually a good idea to have two tiers of penaltys. I’ll put that up on our internal discussion.

2 Likes

glad i didn’t join and saved face :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

but really though. i couldn’t make anything remotely competitive this round. so i didn’t felt like joining

I just havnt had the time… but will be abit more involved next rnd

Again close @AirJordan . I think this time the penalty did not allowed a much better position. Without the minimum weight there would habe been a lever to pull on. But it was fun and this time penalty free (damn maybe a 50% penalty :-p )

2 Likes

Low midpack as usual… got to up my game :wink:

Gratz to @Xoury for the win (well deserved) and thnx again to @FrankNSTein, @Nomade0013 and @ramthecowy for hosting this great challenge

4 Likes