Automation Beginners League - season 82/83 drawing to an end!

That’s much better, now just find the balance with the last car and also test if the volume ratio between pushrods, ohc and dohc is scale-able for different sizes.
If time penalty is implemented, it must be in % of total time so it “hurts” same for every track length. But from a car builder point of view, I would much reather have a penalty I can work with such as weight or any of @Leonardo9613’s propositions like tyres (less width or worse compound), less capacitiy or money (or if we go with only limiting q.sliders again, let’s say max +3 instead of +7)

3 Likes

I just tried something, i don’t want to put much more time in there. I think for a first look the engines at maxmimum Volume are kinda competitive. I don’t think a 4.0L push-rod engine would perform well because you won’t be able to do high rpm. So this is just a choice at hugh engines (cars). The OHC /Direkt-OHC and the DOHC could work on smaller dimensions to. And i think the weight scales good to the power.

I really think a safety rating of 30 could really be a thing to use. and become increased over time. Or even maybe used a a penalty (faktor) so the rate increase after year one from 30 to 35 and the first 5 of season 1 had to have a 40. This could leed to heavier Panel material.

4 Likes

Sorry, was engaged for TV.

Anyway, i think one way to do it is 2 classes

Under 2000cc and Over 2000cc

with no sliders and a fixed price ceiling

and tire limits with no aero

1 Like

definitely something that should be considered

1 Like

I think no aero would be a good thing

i’ll make a couple of mockups to see how they go

Randomly adding time penalties would be just that, random. There would be no way of knowing if they were fair or not, or even sensible, just slapping a time penalty would be very arbitrary, whereas giving a penalty when making the car would mean that the skilled player would have an extra layer of complexity and difficulty to make their cars and still, if well balanced, be able to compete with less skilled people evenly.

2 Likes

yeah you might be right, so added weight(increased safety rating) or a bad tyrecompound would be better.

So I’m back (yeah, I was sleeping real good), I read all the tread and for what I can see what is more “acceptable” right now would be:

• size limit regulated by the head/valve types;
  • penalty for winners:
    • time;
    • build (money/tyre/weight/volume);

It looks good to me, I think that a building penalty would be better then a time one, sounds more fair, I would go for money or weight.
I recognize that a 2 classes challenge would be hard to make work, the penalty looks a lot more easier and faster to apply.
So I think we already have the basic structure of the ABL! :beer: Cheers!

1 Like

will be updating OP tomorrow morning, time for me to sleep now :wink:

OP updated :smile:

1 Like

I was thinking about limiting the body age too, the body should have no more then 10 yo, or something like that, so it looks more real. So my propositions of rules to be added would be:

• At least 10yo body;
  • A minimum weight (that can change from year to year);
  • A minimum safety (increased it round);
  • Tyre width limit (to make it more fair between bodys limits).

What so you guys say?

And I can work as racemaster if needed, but would need an announcer, since I’m not so good at writing.

1 Like

sure

no, I don’t like that idea. It discourages clever thinking and shrewd setups.[quote=“Nomade0013, post:32, topic:18927”]
A minimum safety (increased it round);
[/quote]

Sure

in the early years it will eliminate certain bodies, won’t it?

Done deal :smile:

Not really, at the 62/63 ATC, the body that I used had one of the best results since it could fit the best tyres, even though wasn’t the lighter one. If we have a tyre and weight limit this wouldn’t be a problem, both bodys would have more or less the same performance. Or we could just let it out and let the years took care of the bodys performance.

1 Like

Maximum widht limitation makes a lot of sense from two points of view: First as said before it keeps more bodies competitive and second it adds to realism. However we need someone with the knowledge of historic racing to tip in the maximum (at the time) used widhts

1 Like

For the 5 liter class in trans am racing, the limit was an 8 inch wide tire. According to Tyre size calculartor . com The max tire width that can fit on a 8inch rim is 245mm. (the ideal size being 225 to 235mm, and the minimum being 215mm.)

We could start with that.

4 Likes

Alright, we’ll keep the idea of a max tyre restriction that changes based on which year it is.

This looks like a good competition. Cant wait for it to begin. Ive got old ATC cars waiting to be used :grin:

@Nomade0013 need clarification:

but then you said

so which one do we use, minimum 10 years old body or maximum 10 year old body?

What I wanted to mean was, when you build the car, you set the year (1970, for instance) and chose the option “last 10 years”, to show the bodies from '60 to '70. Do you got it, now?
Sorry the mess.

Okay, so we go with maximum 10 years old body. It’s clear :smile: