Home | Wiki | Live Chat | Dev Stream | YouTube | Archived Forums | Contact

Automation FAQ - [Updated 3. Nov 2017]

Frequently Asked Questions

We get asked dozens of the same questions every day, so here is a list of all the answers to the most common ones.

1. Can you drive your cars?
2. Diesels, Wankels, Hybrids and Electrics?
3. Which engine configurations?
4. Linux/Mac/Android/IOS/PS3/XBone/MsDOS/Commodore 64?
5. Release and how to buy?

6. Is this just about building cars?
7. Motorcycles and other vehicle types?
8. Superchargers and more turbos?
9. System requirements?
10. Real-life companies or cars?

11. Can I help?
12. 12k+ RPM Rev limit and more Octane?
13. What if we run out of money/get hit by a bus?
14. If buy now, do I get the finished game?
15. When will “feature X” be released?

16. Design car interiors?
17. How can I become Beta Tester?
18. Difference between forum ranks?
19. How do I get V16s?
20. Upgrade my game version?

21. Can I help translate?

1. Will you be able to drive your cars?

As a previously 3- and nowadays 5-man team this is already quite an ambitious and complex project as is, and we’re dedicated to making it high quality, realistic and fun. To create a realistic driving simulator would take a 20-man team at least 3 years and about 3 million dollars. Besides, there is very strong competition in that market already. So driving in Automation will never happen, BUT we do collaborate with BeamNG and have created an exporter that allows you to drive your designs in BeamNG.drive, the exporter will be released on July 13th 2018.

2. Are Diesels, Wankels, 2-Strokes, Hybrids, and Electrics coming?

They will definitely not be part of the core game because they would add massive amounts of development time. The most popular seem to be diesel engines and Wankel rotaries. Those would be considered for DLC assuming we’re successful enough to keep working on Automation after its release. For a more in depth answer, check out this video.

3. Which engine configurations will be in the game?

In the core game: I3, I4, I5, I6, V6, V8, V10, V12, V16 (Info: V16 FAQ), Boxer-4, Boxer-6.
A potential first engine pack DLC after the game is done: I2, Boxer-2 (Flat Twins), V4.
In case the sales are high enough we’d consider making: I8, Flat-8, Flat-12.

4. Will there be a Linux/Mac/Android/IOS/PS3/XBone version?

Windows PC Only for now, but with the game now being based on Unreal Engine 4, we will look into porting the game to other platforms. We will mainly reconsider Mac and Linux as the main candidates.

5. When will Automation be released and how can I get it?

The Early Access version of the game is sold via Steam and you can find our store page here: store.steampowered.com/app/293760/
New content and features are released to the public version about every 3 months. We’re always prioritizing quality over rushing the game out unfinished. The full game is still quite some time away, we’re working hard on the tycoon elements of the game.

6. So you’ve built a car, what do you do now? Is the game just about building cars?

Its not just about building cars, its about running an entire car company, you’ll be designing cars and engines, researching new technology, building new factories, setting prices, exporting cars to new markets, managing your company’s finances, your engineering team, etc. If you’ve ever played “Detroit”, “Car Tycoon” or “Motor City”, we’re basically building a more technical, in-depth and more fun version of those.

7. Motorcycles, 3-wheelers, large trucks, tractors, multi-axle vehicles, tracked vehicles?

Due to the large amount of time it would take to properly implement any of these other vehicle classes, their technologies, and markets, unfortunately this is a “No” to all the above. Automation is a (production-) car tycoon game.

8. I don’t see any superchargers or modern turbo options, will you be able to have those?

We plan on revamping the forced induction options available in Automation after we’re mostly done with the tycoon part of the game. That could include the addition of Quad-, Sequential- and Twin-Scroll Turbos, as well as Roots-, Centrifugal- and Screw Superchargers. A single turbo option for V-configurations will most likely also be included. The full extent of this has not been decided yet though. Once done, these will be made available to everyone who owns the game.

9. What are the system requirements?

Automation is still in development so these are subject to change.

Minimum Requirements

Processor: Dual Core
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Support Shader Model 4.0 (Intel HD3000 Integrated, Geforce 8 Series, Radeon 2000 Series)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 7 GB available space
Additional Notes: Requirements for Ultra Low Settings. Framerate may be poor in some situations.

Recommended Specs

Processor: Recent Intel i5/i7 or AMD 6 core or better
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD 290x or nVidia 970GTX or Better
DirectX: Version 11
Additional Notes: System requirements for good frame rate Epic Settings. Solid State Drive highly recommended for best loading performance.

10. Will my Ford, Volvo, Lada, My Favorite Company be in the game?

Due to copyright issues, we can’t have real car companies or cars in the game.
However in cosmetic terms, there will be a big range of styling parts from different era’s and styles, so you could build something similar to a real model, also the mechanical parts available should mean you can get the specs close too. Of course, part of the fun could be replicating an existing car maker, building the same models, using the same tactics, and see if you can do better than the real company!

11. What can I do to help?

The biggest hurdle for an indie with a good product is visibility. We don’t have a publisher that does the marketing, so to large degree we rely on you guys to get the word out. Spread the word, the more interest we can drum up the better! Contact YouTubers you think would enjoy the game and tell them about it, etc.

12. When will you raise the 12krpm Rev limit, Give access to 130 octane Avgas etc.

As Automation is a game focused on running a car company that builds road cars, and maybe a few touring car style race cars, those kind of technologies don’t make sense to include. We chose the 12krpm rev limit as it covers any production car ever made and then some, and because the way we get engine sounds produced starts to run into a lot of issues above 12,000rpm.

13. What if you run out of money/get hit by a bus? What happens to my preorder?

We’ve already committed a lot of our own money and 5 years of our lives to this project, so we’ll do everything in our power to make sure this game gets finished. But in the end, if you’re not comfortable spending ~$30 to unlock all the currently available content, or don’t like the Early Access model, don’t buy the game yet.

14. If I preorder / buy the Early Access version, do I still need to buy the game when its done?

Nope! If you buy at any point during development you will get access to all the versions released after your buy including the finished version of the game once it is released. What it does not include, unless you have an early preorder package including them or purchase the upgrade package once available, are V16 engines.

15. When is (BIT OF GAME) being released?

The best way to keep up with the development of the game is to follow our YouTube Channel and the Little Dev Update series. If we haven’t announced a release date for something, its because we don’t know ourselves. We develop the game in well defined smaller projects which you are informed about regarding scope, content and progress on our YouTube channel.

16. Will you be able to design car interiors?

While you can choose what type of interior and entertainment system your cars have you can’t visually design or see them. Getting custom interiors to fit each car would add a really long time to development and not be relevant to the core gameplay.

17. Can I become Beta Tester?

If we need beta testers, we will ask for them from time to time in a special forum thread made by Killrob.
In very few cases we pick people for beta testers, if they stand out of the normal forum, but thats quite rare, so don’t hope that you will be tester if you make 8x more posts then everyone else. :wink: The closed beta is not for FAAAN (Fool-Around-And-Accomplish-Nothing) players though, you are expected to do actual work which isn’t fun all the time, but pretty rewarding in the end when seeing things come together.

18. What’s the difference between the forum ranks?

The earliest ranks were the silver/gold/platinum ranks. These are treated as “Turbocharged” ranks when it comes to content. These ranks were made back when the devs set up a Rockethub campaign.
After this, the N/A (Naturally Aspirated) rank came online. This was just a way of saying you’ve pre-ordered the game. It’ll come with the full content of the game and you won’t have to pay any more for the final version.

The next rank was the Turbocharged rank. Along with the N/A perks, this gives access to the V16s and other perks (Some not released yet). They also include the Automation OST as a free download.
The latest rank is the Supercharged rank. This rank is the same as the Turbocharged, except without the Automation OST.

Nowadays you can only buy the game via Steam, so there are no special ranks given for that.
Other ranks are the special beta tester ranks that show how involved beta testers are in helping the game. Even getting one star requires a significant amount of effort.

19. How do I get my V16s? Who gets them? Can I get them?

This is best answered by the V16 FAQ.
There is also a brief explanation in video form.

20. Can I upgrade my Naturally Aspirated Edition of the game to Supercharged/Turbocharged?

Not yet, but this will be made possible once the UE4 based Lite Campaign is released on Steam. At that point we will give you the option to upgrade your base game to the supporter package, this upgrade exists mainly to give you the option to support development that little extra, but also will give you access to the V16s as a little thank you. For more details, check out the V16 FAQ.

21. Can I help translate the game from English to X?

All translations are community based and you are most welcome to help translate and/or proofread the game! Quite a few languages are available to be translated for as is, but we will add more over time and as requested. We use crowdin as a platform for the community translations. It only requires you to make a free account with them and you can join the translation project via this invite link.

You can follow up on the translation process by checking out our “Little Translation Update” series on the Automation YouTube Channel. This video illustrates the translation process: How to translate with crowdin.

Hope this has helped!

Anything else I missed? Ask us!

When comes the 5inline engines and the v10
Modern Turbo Engines
Engine Things
Engines!
Test Drive Suggestion
Superchargers and Turbos
Since the entire auto industry is going electric
Ilex Electric Vehicles
If/When diesel engines are add will that mean other stuff related?
If/When diesel engines are add will that mean other stuff related?
Buses And Trucks?
Diesel Engines in game
Optional clear or light tint glass
1 and 2 cylinder engine suggestion
Motorbike

Excellent initiative :slight_smile: now we only have to link a single page when one of the usual suspects among questions comes up xD
I’ll put your post through some additional polish…

Okay, new layout now and a bit of polish here and there… I hope that does appeal.

[quote]Are you coming out with a Linux/Mac/Android/IOS/PS3/Commodore 64 version

PC Only I’m afraid, Its a big enough project already without having to worry about other platforms![/quote]

Seriously?! No C64 version?! Crossing fingers for PS3/Xbox360 versions then! (Just kidding)

But good idea to make a FAQ post, I see many of the same questions from the new guys at this page.

This is a good idea I often open up the forums and get a little excited when I see new post but on more than one occasion I find its just new post asking one of the FAQs…

Clearly the C64 is too crazy an idea. What about a version that runs on graphing calculators instead? :laughing:

Damn you for finding a loophole!! :laughing:

[quote=“Daffyflyer”]

Damn you for finding a loophole!! :laughing:[/quote]

I suppose its too much to hope for a tablet version? :slight_smile:

And what about Pen&Paper version?

Actually, we’ll be prototyping the business side of the game as a board game, so you’re not completely wrong there!

do you do children’s parties?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A shame about the lack of a Mac platform version. I and many designers are already heavily invested in Mac software. I hope you will think about this in the future. A “lite” version for iPad would make it very popular.

Probably never do an iPad version, the amount of work involved in that is just unimaginable. Automation should work in Wine hopefully, it doesn’t do anything too fancy.

You should update it - rockethub project have ended.

now since I bought the game am I able to have it on both my computers? just as long as im not logged in to both at the same time right?

YUP! This exactly

hey guys 。i am a new guy from china

Wow. Just wow.

I cam across this on Autoblog, and watched the video demonstration by the man with the odd accent. Thought it was cool enough to play around with. Then I find out you can build the car around it, and all the other stuff described in the OP. And I’m loving the idea. I think I will go the whole hog and buy the Forced Induction version.

I’m also pleasantly surprised to see this coming from Australia. Well done fellas. Fortunately for you, you’re on the other side of the country for me to come to your house/place of business and pester you for additions.

As long as I can make an inline eight. I should be extremely content, and spend heaps of time here.

ok its sunday the 22nd in Australia now can i play demo? lol cant wait to see it

I was wondering the same thing.

Hopefully it takes me much longer =) :smiley: