Automation Machine Broke (The Crashes and Bugs I've Experienced)

Let me just say I appreciate the staff responding to my review. I was planning to just give up on the game, and probably will for the foreseeable future, but figured it couldn’t hurt to post the issues I’m having. Also, if it isn’t glaringly obvious, I’m new to this. Onto the meme.

The trouble started around the beginning of the month (July '18). I was playing the UE4 version (in fact, that was the only version I played, the Kee version didn’t work too well), and I forget the exact details of the situation, but something happened while the game was loading from one menu to another, and went unresponsive. Not unresponsive exactly, but the loading spinner thing was stuck spinning. I sat for maybe five minutes hoping for the program to ‘wake up’, then decided to alt-tab out and close the program via the Task Manager. t h a t w a s a b a d i d e a .

When I started the game up next, there wasn’t much technical trouble, but most of my actual data (cars and engines) was bust. Like, completely unusable. I couldn’t edit all but one model, and even that had been seemingly wiped of any data other than the model’s name. So, instead of looking for help here, I made an infinitely more measured and intellectual decision. I attempted to purge every file even related to the game from my hard drive, then reinstall (I use steam btw). t h a t w a s a b a d i d e a .

One uninstall and failed purge later, I could officially say Automation machine broke. It was not understandable. I did not have a nice day. In precise order, I uninstalled the game through steam, attempted to delete any Automation-related folders from my hard drive (which didn’t work, there was a folder which apparently didn’t have permission to be accessed, therefore it couldn’t be put in the recycle bin). This (most likely, I’m not a computer doctor and can’t confirm) caused an issue with file integrity (gee, I wonder why), and when I attempted to reinstall the game, steam couldn’t, citing a disk write error. Like, not an actual error box, I don’t have specifics, the entry on the download page in the library just said there was a disk write error.

Well, I tried verifying files, attempting a few reinstalls, verifying files again, etc. Nothing worked. After about a week, I got back to the case, and in my attempts to reinstall, I was not longer getting stuck at disk write errors in the download page. Instead, at the first pop-up box that displays the progress bar, the ‘allocating disk space’ and all that, I was getting a pop-up that was directing me to a steam support page about various troubleshooting methods for installation and update errors. Well, I tried a few things. I cleared my local download cache, and since I have an extra hard drive lying around, I created a second library and installed the game there. However, clearing the download cache didn’t do much, and attempting to install on a different hard drive only got me the same post-crash state of the game: all of my engines were gone, and my cars were essentially gone.

However, when I installed it on the second hard drive, I ran into some technical… issues.

Now, when I list these issues, know I didn’t get much actual play time post-exporter update. Tbh, after all of the grief of trying to get the game running, just to get a barely playable shamble of what I had known the game to be as well as having no progress as far as recovering my cars’ data was p upsetting. Also, I apologize if any of the below have already been solved. Again, I’ll play the ‘I’m new’ card. Anyway, the bugs.

Firstly, when I tried to create a new car and entered the engine designer (because all of my engines had been wiped) and selected any engine, the game crashed. It would just freeze upon selecting an engine type, and I would have to alt-tab out and wait for the window to close. I might add that upon these freezings, the game was truly unresponsive. This occurred twice. After that, I decided to preemptively design an engine in the hopes that would work. I didn’t try the boxer engine, but I went with my usual: the humble inline four. However, I think it was upon selecting the material the pistons and camshaft would be made of, the engine model itself disappeared. Like, the whole thing, as if I hadn’t chosen an engine type at all. However, when I selected the turbo-charger option, there auxiliary models for that did appear. The same happened when I changed the cam option; the front belts and timing cover would show up, but the block itself was nowhere to be found.

After I encountered this bug, I just gave up. I decided it wasn’t worth it. And the worst part is, before I closed the game with the task manager, it was running fine. I had no issues with anything. No bugs whatsoever. And I was SO hyped for the exporter update. I just hope I can get the friggin thing running smoothly again. If it helps, I use windows, and if tech specs need drawing up, I can get them, I’m just too lazy to find them and put them in this post.

Sorry again if I give any redundant bugs or glitches, and hopefully I can get some answers, or at least some closure. Thanks much.

Also, I get this is a novel in length. Sorry about that.

Hey, sorry about all the troubles you were having. Many of those issues you describe do not sound like they are Automation related, but rather a problem with your hard drive.

What may have happened is the following: at some point on your faulty hard drive the game wrote new data to the database and that ended up in a corrupted / unreadable sector on your drive. Upon starting the game again the startup routine checks the database for its integrity and deletes it if it is unreadable and thus useless, starting over.

There was a nasty bug that has been fixed that would corrupt the database by certain actions in the game in the version prior to the current Exporter Update version, using the Lite Campaign car manager can cloning trims in a particular way. That has since been both fixed (and shut off for the current version anyway).

However it may be, it indeed means you cannot recover your cars. That, unfortunately, has happened to a few people, but also we cannot guarantee during heavy development of the game for people to always keep their cars. That’s the downside of Early Access for sure. :frowning:

The folder you were not able to delete probably was the %localappdata%\AutomationGame folder? That would be an important one to remove indeed, you might need admin rights to do so.

Turbos should first appear when you have selected the fuel system and intake, because otherwise they don’t have anything to pipe to. The block not being visible sounds very odd. What settings are you playing on when you tried? There were some issues with low settings not showing the engine due to performance issues on weaker systems.

If you have it fully installed on disks (no longer affected) with file-system corruption issues, and you have cleared out the folders:

• %localappdata%\AutomationGame
  • Documents\My Games\Automation

you should be set up. Once that is done and the install is clean & verified, there should be no more issues the way you describe them above. None of those (apart from the corruption issue I mentioned) are bugs that others are having to our knowledge. :slight_smile:

If you need help, please tell.

1 Like

Okay, let me reply to the folder issue first. The problem I’m running into isn’t that I don’t have permission to actually delete the folders you recommended, but that there’s an issue with them being ‘used or open in another program’ (sorry, this was the problem in the first place, I’m stupid). I don’t know what I would have to do to solve this, and I would guess I would have to restart my PC maybe, but I don’t know.

As far as my graphical settings in game, I can’t tell you exactly what is set to what, but in general I had stuff set to low- and mid-range settings. My computer is a potato laptop, so the performance issue bug might be the one I’m running into.

Also, just to be sure, the hard drive I had installed the game on in the first place is no longer usable as far as running the game? The setup I’m using for my auxiliary hard drive is pretty touch-and-go, so I would just like to know if I need to set up something more secure.

Thank you much for your response.

The folder issue is either solved by a restart of your system (and then before you do anything else you remove the folder), or is due to the system file structure being damaged. In most cases it is the former.

That actually might be the issue, the external drive. We had plenty of reports of problems with running the game from an external hard drive, and indeed they reported strange behaviour that we’ve never seen before. :slight_smile:

If you run the game on “low” then yeah, the engine not showing up (at all!) would be expected behaviour right now if in the context of designing a car, we’ll have to work out a better solution for that.

If your hard drive that caused those problems has not been fixed by a proper system scan-disc run then I doubt it would be suitable for running anything that writes and reads a lot of data reliably.

Do you have any other computer you could try it out on?

Unfortunately, I don’t have another computer to use; all I’ve got is the external hard drive. I don’t believe I had many issues involving the external hard drive when I was running it (but then again, I didn’t get very far into the game period), so I’ll just do a quick restart, flush the folders, and reinstall. As far as the engine thing, I’ll just have to deal. Either that, or speed up the search for a new rig.

Thanks a lot for your help, I’ll let you know if this works out.

2 Likes

Okay, the fixes worked! I switched to slightly higher settings, and thankfully the engine model shows up now. I also nuked those folders, and it worked fine. The game runs great. There’s a bug now with the Performance data windows not being able to be closed now, but it isn’t that big a deal for me. Thanks for your help, Killrob.

1 Like

Cheers mate, glad you got it running! :slight_smile: