Automation x BeamNG Hotlap League

There’s a way to program a launch control if you have an automatic gearbox / are playing with arcade gearbox though.

But hey. It’s one of the forbidden things for a reason.

Launch control in beamng seems to work only with some cars with automatic transmission. (But only seems to work with advanced automatic or Dual Clutch transmissions)

Here’s a little tip of how to use the Launch Control on beamng (Based on my experience):

Simply put the parking brake on, put the transmission on “S” mode, Hold the gas until it gets to 5000RPM (maybe a bit lower or higher.) And then let off the Parking brake. And BOOM!.

I hope that helps :wink:

1 Like

So erm, yeah. I am ready and absolutely pumped for this.

8 Likes

This is, in real life, one way to ruin your engine mounts :joy:

To clarify my earlier comment, you can edit the launch behaviour by editing the engine .jbeam file with the lines about launchRPM. It’s just that it will do it not just for “launch” but for every time the car accelerates from stationary. Which is obviously not how it should work haha.

Oh well, I haven’t experienced how Launch Control really acts since i own a really shitty Nissan Xterra from 2003 with a damaged engine mount, But i guess you’re right :wink:.

Alright in that case I think we’re nearly ready to begin. I think for simplicity sake I will say that you’re not allowed to modify the ESC or TCS, but you can use the default Automation generated one (because they will almost certainly slow you down if your car is any good at hotlapping… hint: the threshold is always too high, the proportional effect also too high, and the integral part and max integral factor too low). Thus you should indicate whether you had it on or not. Much easier.

You’re allowed to use power steering (of course) and ABS, but also need to specify these things.

I’m still not decided about the bypassing the wastegate thing. I’ve been told this apparently actually makes the turbos more responsive than they should be, which would be an unfair advantage.

Finally I’m going to create a Google Sheet and divide the entries into decades and classes just for info organisation purposes so you don’t feel like you’re in a Fiat 500 trying to compete against an Agera R or whatever. I figured just having the classes be divided by power to weight ratio would be sufficient, hence:

• Class D, up to 200hp: metric ton (like a Civic Si)
  • Class C, up to 350hp: metric ton (like a Falcon XR8 or Focus RS)
  • Class B, up to 500hp: metric ton (like a 458)
  • Class A, up to 750hp: metric ton (like a 918 Spyder)
  • Class S, up to 1000hp: metric ton (like an Agera One:1)
  • Class X, no power limit but uses road-legal tyres and… not have a reliability of 0?
  • Class Unlimited, any car can enter this

The only other stipulation I’d make is that for the car to be a valid “production car” time they must be done on sports +0 tyres. If this isn’t the case the time must be qualified. Could possibly, for the sake of track day parity, say everyone can use anything up to semi slicks +0, but I don’t know. Try to keep anything up to Class S street legal. Class Unlimited is obviously not for production or legal cars so go nuts, use semi-slick +15 if you want.

Thoughts on this?

6 Likes

Looks good.

The only thing I will ask (and this is me being picky) is this:
Can we allow editing the jbeam of cars equipped with an automation auto locker to change it to a lsd in beam?

This is an edit I’ve done on my personal stuff, just because automation still doesn’t have a clutch type lsd, and many of my favorite cars (1960-70s american muscle) had clutch-based lsds.

(I don’t expect this to be accepted btw)

Yeah the short of that would be “I don’t know, that seems kinda finnicky to police”. For simplicity sake I’m tempted to say no but am happy to hear from others.

1 Like

This doesn’t make very much sense to me, could you explain why you think this?

You know how some cars or manufacturers in here are just so popular that everyone and their grandmother’s dog want to try a taste of it coughKeikacough. This to me doesn’t sound very fair to other, less popular cars that are similarly competent on the track, so they too deserve an equal chance to be loved and tried out by other people.

Okay, now that I think of it more, it does sound a bit dumb.

4 Likes

Speaking of the Keika, one half of the reason it’s so popular is because it demands tuning. I’m not sure this is in the scope of this league lest were prepared to have an exploding leaderboard.

I’d suggest that as per standard etiquette you need explicit permission to drive the cars yourself and explicit permission to tune them but no posting retuned results here unless that retune becomes a lore thing. Besides if you change the settings of a car and don’t change the name of the mod it seems to break the .rpl entirely.

Tl;dr ask for permission to challenge a driver’s time and you must drive the car as is to compare times unless otherwise negotiated.

2 Likes

Why can’t I use for example, a 15 quality sports tire for a production car.

Because no production car would be affordable when using tyres with performance on par with 15 years future technology (check the material costs). 0 tech is just a way to make it somewhat even so the situation doesn’t run away.

Except in unlimited class. You can do whatever you want there.

2 Likes

Speaking of quality, I wonder if the light campaign will change that. I mean, for challenges in general.

Imagine, a round of Generations or something similar based on light campaign run. If you managed to make a company that sells only lore cars, and ends up being able to stay afloat while researching +15 quality something… :thinking:

I don’t think I understood everything: we have to enter production cars only? or we can make racecars or modified cars?
If we makes only production car, I think we shouldn’t go over sports tires for a car who is under class A.

And what is the metric ton thing?

Yes that’s the idea, i think it would be unrealistic to have a car on more than sports 0 tyres up to class A. Class S I think can use semi slick 0, and class unlimited can use anything.

I was also hoping that cars up to class S should be road legal for their time and all that but I’ll largely leave this to people’s idea of realism. This is more a hotlap league than a Gran Turismo lineup.

Also 1 metric ton is 1000 kilos just specified for those who insist on using Freedom units :stuck_out_tongue:

So any car in every category should weighs more than 1 ton?
I ask this because we can’t do a light sportscar of an average 130-150hp and less than 1 ton, like the swift sport or an 90s sportscar in class D :c .

No no nothing like that, just the power to weight ratio. So if you had a 500kg car if it has less than 100hp it’s class D.

Edit: if there is sufficient demand for stock K cars and superminis and the like which typically run less than 100hp:ton then maybe we can have a class E for those.

1 Like

Oooh ok, it’s 200hp per metric ton! it’s all clear now thanks :blush:
PS: the E class could be for old underpowered cars c:

Update: with the help of some others who are better at Google Sheets than I am, I’m getting a sheet set up so the information can be reliably sorted. That’ll probably take me a couple of days but then hopefully by the end of this week we can start proper.

p.s. in the meantime do check Boost’s challenge out, it’s similar but also very different and more competitive.