Auxuras Motor Co - The all-new ATL, Return. Remake

Of cause the SLX will suffer from slow sales , without a V8 powertrain in a full size SUV. Wonder why there are 2,571 people bought it.

Not sure why Saminda thought that V6 with electric motors can replace a V8 engine , no Saminda , you can’t , V6 won’t sound as good as V8 too.

1 Like

As it happens, Honda never offered a V8 and still their models sells good.

Don’t know why a lot of people are fixed in big engines, WE ARE IN 2016, there are a lot of regulations that need to be meet (as CAFE standards, environmentals stuff, economical arregements) and with every new model “uh, where’s the v8 bro”.
Big engines are going extinct, every you see all companies are downsizing and turbocharging, looking for better efficiency and some exploring new technologies (either electric, or simple more efficient internal combustion designs as Mazda [which by the way, doesn’t offer a V8, and is focused in efficiency, not raw power]).

You may have a point - in sectors where prestige is a priority, cars whose engines have more cylinders are more desirable due to the increased prestige scores they attain. No matter how much power or efficiency you squeeze out of a six-cylinder engine, it is still a six-cylinder engine and that will reduce your prestige. On the other hand, as @Sillyworld pointed out, they cost less to produce, and that will lower the price of your car, as well as being more efficient when tuned correctly.

That is right.
Let’s look at the v12. The only reason is still being produced is the fact that is part of the identity of some brands (aston martin and Ferrari) and thus the prestige it adds.

On the other hand, if we look at the v10, it is not part of any company identity and is slowing dying away, only 2 models with v10 are mass produce.
And is going to happen to the v8. Some iconic models might retain the v8 configuration, but some companies have experimented with small engines in big models, like Ford in the Mustang ecoboost (and the new GT) and quite successfully RAM in the 1500 series.

Maybe in a not so distant future, having a big v8 will be considered as if today some car manufactured offer cars with carburetors.

1 Like

I don’t think so (apart from that I don’t want to) - let’s take an example of, let’s say, Audi. There’s probably no way they would stop making RS models, like RS6. Current RS6 has more or less ~550hp. You could squeeze such power out of a 2 litre with turbos, but what’s the point (apart from lower insurance costs because it’s not over the boundary of 2 litres - which is quite stupid for me)? It would harm every aspect other than peak power, as it would be 275hp/l - even 200hp/l is rather reserved for extreme performance engines. And RS6, while being a sports car, still is a huge family estate, so it HAS to be at least a bit civilised. And probably in not so distant future there will be a RS6 with about 600hp. So to keep power/capacity ratio away from quite extreme 200hp/l (current has 140hp/l) it would need to have 3.5-4.0 engine. It might be then a V6, but that would harm it’s image probably far more than relatively little capacity, so V8 is VERY probable.

I think that V8 won’t be dying out until hybrids become mainstream - which, being rather realistic than optimistic, won’t be a near future. Even though there are such cars as Auris, Golf, Hyundai i40 and so on available in hybrid variants already. But even if, they won’t be considered as outdated - until ALL combustion engines start to be as well. Do we now, in the era of downsizing (which in fact returned capacities to levels of 60s-70s in Europe) consider 12, or even 16 cylinder engines to be in any way outdated?

Edit: and I’d say that V10 is a part of Lamborghini identity.

In fact, I’ve seen contests decided by the amount of prestige a car has when this factor is deemed important enough. For example, this is taken from @HowlerAutomotive, who had this to say about the Revera MS GTS, @asdren 's entrant in Round 14 of The Car Shopping Round:

Unfortunately, six cylinders does not sound as cool as one would hope, even if each one of them delivers a hundred hp to the table, so prestige score is low.

The absence of at least two extra cylinders prevented @asdren from claiming a podium place in that contest. Moreover, @DeusExMackia also went for six cylinders (albeit with less displacement) with his Erin Berlose, and that hindered his final placing as well. It was particularly painful because I expected either car to win that round outright. Worse still, @Rk38 submitted what was essentially a four-door family sedan with a straight-four, and didn’t make the top five - a shame, really, because the rest of his car was just so good, with low running costs and elegant styling, although on the other hand, he placed higher than any family car has any right to in a contest filled with premium cars.
In short, more cylinders is often better if prestige is a major component of a car’s desirability. Otherwise you can get away with just four or six instead. Nevertheless, the absence of a V8 option meant that Auxuras didn’t fire in Britain (hence the recent withdrawal), and the high price of the SLX only makes it worse; these drawbacks will stymie its sales prospects in other regions.

1 Like

The fact that Saminda is in a wrong step , the SLX is for North America market and usually a full-sized SUV in U.S offers V8 , but Saminda choose not to.

And they are charging us nearly 90 grand for that? pssshh

As @abg7 said , V6 will have less prestige , no wonder Auxuras can’t be as premium as BMW

In addition to premium sectors, performance-oriented markets also rely heavily on prestige for desirability, even late in the game (from around 2010 onwards). For example, when @Rk38 submitted a twin-turbo V6 supercar for CSR16, @thecarlover complained about the resulting lack of prestige inflicted by such a simple configuration, not helped by under-investment elsewhere:

Under the hood, I’m quite surprised to only find a 3.7L twin-turbo V6. It does achieve 728 hp and 489 ft-lb of torque. The bottom end is average but the quality of everything else is excellent, and it seems to be very reliable. As well built as this engine is, and with the performance stacking up, I’m still hesitant about a V6 supercar.
Inside, I’m disappointed by the average premium design, electronics, and safety features. It seems all the efforts were devoted to make the V6 a viable supercar engine and the interior was simply forgotten. It certainly isn’t prestigious.

Unsurprisingly, @thecarlover passed up that vehicle for something with more cylinders in the final ranking. The poor prestige rating for a six-cylinder supercar may also have been a factor in the short production life of the most recent CZ6 - it was pitched against machinery with more cylinders and, usually, displacement, making it a tough sell, particularly with such a high price. I share the same sentiments as he does; through careful tuning, it is actually possible to build a high-displacement V8 or V12 without excessive fuel consumption or emissions, particularly if the car in which it is installed has a low kerb weight and good aerodynamics.

@szafirowy01
A couple of disclaimers:

1. For the record I don’t big engines to disappear either! I actually kind of sad that NA engines are not a thing anymore and everything is small with a turbo attached to it.
  2. These opinions (not facts) come form a particular way to look at it, so it only reflects my opinion and my interpretation of the reality, not it is the absolute truth or anything like that, we’re just having fun, not reason to get all intense about it :grinning:

Yes, I went overboard with the V8 = carburetors, and it might not happen in quite a lot of years, as you say, when we have a good, reliable and cheap alternative to internal combustion engines (if we ever do) and definitely, as the game is concerned, it ends in 2020 and more cylinders = more prestige (but I’ll get on that later).

Now, following your line of though (or trying to) a lot of manufacturers still produce V8, but some (as BMW) are moving the V8 to more of the top of the line and replacing v10s with turbo V8s, or introducing small turbocharger engines in entrance models, following that logic. eventually v12s, v10s, v12s will be move to a more top of the line until they will be eventually pushed out of production.
Personally, I find the concept of the RS6 ridiculously xD and 2L l4 is not good for that power, HOWEVER you can use a 3.8L turbo V6, we’ve seen those are good for over 500hp easily

Prestige is a tricky thing, it only exists as a social representation, with the real representation not always matching it (like Apple products). More cylinders = more prestige, HOWEVER, less cylinders = more advanced, and to some sectors, more advanced = more prestige (tho is not represented in game that way).

@abg7 * heavy sigh * I really don’t know what to say, or how to react… except for this:[quote=“abg7, post:233, topic:5748”]
The poor prestige rating for a six-cylinder supercar may also have been a factor in the short production life of the most recent CZ6 - it was pitched against machinery with more cylinders and, usually, displacement, making it a tough sell,
[/quote]
Well, I guess that means the Nissan GTR and the new NSX are not going to be a sales success…OH WAIT :unamused:

1 Like

@sillyworld I agree with you for the most part, but the GTR really only sells because it has such a massive media presence in addition to being priced correctly and easy to buy. Compare the Dodge Viper, which has a smaller media presence, and while well priced, and has snooty dealers.

Also the less cylinders = more advanced isn’t completely true either. There are many challenges that trying to fit a V12 or V10 entail, and IMO working those problems out are alot more difficult than getting more power out of a small engine. Large cylinder engines are really only unpopular due to their packaging issues and complexity.

1 Like

That moment I laughed. You know why? Because you described exact engine Zavir will use in it’s future sports car :smile:

And a word about RS6 - I love riddiculous concepts. And things that merge two seemingly unmergeable things, such as family estate and a sports car :slight_smile: I dream about mid-engined huge premium estate (like RS6) with a very flat 8 cylinder boxer (to fit underneath the luggage space)…

Oh the dodge viper <3 I was so glad when it was breaking records around, NA BIG Engines for the win.
@szafirowy01 yup, that was only my way to look at it. And one thing the German companies do pretry well, is to find small niches or specific demographics and build cars for them

Apparently, the markets in the Automation universe play by a different set of rules from the ones in real life right now, as you explained. However, I am still disappointed at the turbo revolution and how they have rendered many multi-cylinder, high-displacement NA engines obsolete. Ironically, owners of their predecessors, whose values now tend to be on the rise, could be among the few real beneficiaries of downsizing. I’ve read magazine articles which reveal that current economy tests are not as representative of the real world as expected.

A quarter-century ago it was a different story: when Jaguar unveiled the production version of the XJ220, they swapped the NA V12 and AWD for a RWD twin-turbo V6. While it led to a massive improvement in performance (more power, less weight, and hence surprisingly improved performance and handling), potential customers were turned off by the engine’s relatively pedestrian roots, leading to lost sales. Such an approach would be more easily accepted now, but when the production version of the C-X75 was announced, I was horrified to find out that it would be powered by a turbo I4, and no amount of hybrid hardware could compensate for that engine’s humble origins. Unsurprisingly, the project was axed, and not just for this reason - Jaguar needed to develop something more profitable instead if they wanted to make a real impact in the premium sector.

This also partially explains why I never warmed to the BMW i8 as much as some other enthusiasts did, though the overly conservative chassis setup may also have been a factor. At any rate, if you want to build a really competitive premium car (particularly for a round of CSR), choose your engine configuration wisely - it will significantly affect your desirability.

@abg7 I’m one of those enthusiasts for the i8 xD.

Back to Auxuras/Samida, I understand why they go for green/downsizing trend, and although personally I don’t really like small turbocharged engines, I support Samida because it follows real life trends, and more importantly, it stick to its company RP, identity and roots, and that’s difficult in the automation universe because bar in power and performance is so high you’ll always get “c’mon only 7 minutes around the ring?”, “only a v6?” or stuff like that. And that’s one of the many reasons why I don’t win in the CSR, as I built a car following the philosophy of one of my companies and I ended up being surpassed for more extreme cars :B

TL:DR kudos to starfish to stick to their companies philosophy and not give to the social pressure of more power and cylinder.

5 Likes

Since @abg7 mentioned me I might as well chime in, In the CSR I like @Sillyworld above try to be true to my companies brands identities which often means I’m at a disadvantage to the more bespoke and radical vehicles that some of our exceptionally talented members put out.

We also have to bear in mind that Auxura might not have the resources at the moment to produce a bespoke V8 engine just to satisfy the North American market. Considering the whole recall situation Saminda group is facing right now Plus it is not without precedent as others have already mentioned the real life trends towards downsizing engines is already apparent in the marketplace.

Since I’m here @Starfish94 major props, I love your stuff!

1 Like

“Best SUV you can ever buy”

Thats a strong adjective you chose there to describe it.

It’s called advertising. “Almost a good SUV” won’t get you customers, will it?

3 Likes

There is a difference between pointing out the qualities of a car and straight up lying. There is a reason no reputable car manufacturers advertise their cars as THE best car period, since that’d be false advertising.
Because dollar for dollar, the best car ever built is Dale.

Eh, the best slogan would be “OUR cars are safe”, following some industrial sabotage of competitors’ brake supply.

2 Likes

Or do it like Chevrolet and perform a factually incorrect comparison to show your superiority that has no practical relevance whatsoever because everyone will use a Bedliner anyway.

1 Like