Ayatsuji Motor Co. Ltd

Ayatsuji Motor Co. Ltd.

What makes driving a car unforgettable?
That’s a question we at Ayatsuji have asked ourselves for decades, since our founding in 1972. Of course, any car can get you to your destination or carry your groceries or perform the mundane needs of daily life. That’s not what we’re here for. Our goal is not to get you from Point A to Point B, but rather, make the experience of driving an unforgettable one.

Sitting in the drivers seat of a car should excite you, it should make your heart race, your adrenaline rise, and be a freeing experience. Flicking the key and hearing the triumphant roar of an engine should be a feeling that resonates with your very soul. Why then, is it a taboo experience? It should not be a crime to enjoy the very nature of speed.

We don’t think it should be.

What is Ayatsuji Motor Co.?
Ayatsuji is a call back to an era of Japanese car manufacturing. An era of speed, of competition, of breaking the rules. An era of fun. These machines might not be the fastest, or the best of their class, but there’s one thing they share in common. They’ll put a smile on your face.

That is our promise to you, the driver - you will never see ‘just another boring commuter’ from us.

2 Likes

The Ayatsuji Medusa

According to Greek mythology, looking at Medusa will turn the beholder to stone. The sight of this car is enough to turn a man to stone - with fear.

Every story needs a first chapter, of course, but our first chapter isn’t exactly an origin story. It’s a triumph. Meet the Medusa - a mid-engine, high end sports car that will eat you alive if you even think of making a mistake. With no traction control and a 3.2L V6 powering it, the Medusa is certainly a formidable beast.

The Outside

Despite being a beast of the early 90s, the Medusa did not come with pop-ups. Ayatsuji wanted something different, something unique. Opting for traditional headlights and a more aggressive supercar-like vibe that wasn’t regularly seen in Japan, the Medusa was intended to be an eye catcher. Something you’d stop and stare at in awe.

The rear was left much more simplistic - opting for a minimalist design. Basic tail lights, aerodynamics, and plenty of ventilation to keep the beast at the heart of this machine cool. You might’ve noticed the amount of ventilation - lets go over why.

The Monster at the Core

The 3.2L V6 powering the Medusa was no slouch. Reaching “276 horsepower” and 324 Nm torque NA, it put smaller capacity turbocharged rivals to shame, fighting on the same grounds with no need for a turbocharger.

This meant it was pretty quick, reaching 0-100 in 4.7 seconds and topping out at 263 KPH. It ran the Automation Test Track in 2:14.27 and the legendary Green Hell in 8:15.50 - a time that would make the prestigious R32 GT-R and NA1 NSX-R eat their hearts out.

What? That’s not good enough? I suppose there’s a bit more we can offer.

What About a Turbocharger?

Before you see the glory of the turbocharged LV1, let me ask you a question. Do you have good health insurance? The turbocharger strapped to this bad boy will break your back and we aren’t covering your medical bills, so you better be able to afford the hospital bill upon having that turbo kick in.

You thought keeping up with turbocharged rivals with an NA engine was impressive? How about adding our own turbo and absolutely mincing them. With a whopping 454 horsepower, this beast enters monster territory and starts throwing punches with supercars.

150 horsepower gains do a lot to a car’s performance. While the .1 second decrease in 0-100 times might not seem like a lot, a top speed of 295 kph is certainly a huge gain. A nearly 5 second drop around the Automation test track with a 2:09.61 is a pretty big deal too, but that’s not the biggest change. How does a 7:55.91 around Green Hell sound? That’s right, 20 seconds off of the original time. This puts it in the lap times of cars that are a over a decade newer than it, such as the R35 GT-R or the Porsche 997.

The Conclusion

The Medusa was ahead of its time in every way, and it took on anything that came at it. With a little bit of tuning and retrofitting, it could even be viable in today’s racing scene. Perhaps that’s something we should consider, but not today.

Notes and Author Comments

The Medusa was originally built to be an MR2 SW20 type car, though as I stylized the body more I realized it’d be much more fitting as something akin to an Exige or NSX that was ahead of its time. This lead to a complete rebuild of the engine - originally being powered by a 1.8L Inline 4, but such an engine would be sorely understated for the car. I feel like, if the option was available, a rotary would be a unique companion to such a car, especially seeing as we never did get a mid-engine rotary.

Any critiques, especially in regards to styling, would be appreciated. While I am proud of the car, I’m sure it could use some work. I spent way too much time getting this right and honestly I’d like to post more stuff that’s got as much time and energy poured into it as this, but with improved design.

4 Likes

Now this is a true JDM legend! In base form it’s already fast enough, but the turbo version is properly mental - and fast enough for period GT1 endurance racing with a few modifications. No wonder they would have been sought after by the Midnight Club back then!

1 Like

The Ayatsuji Centauri

The Honda Civic Type-R can eat ou- ahem.
Traveling from Earth to Alpha Centauri is an incredibly long travel, forty-one trillion kilometers to be exact. And in a car as fun as the Centauri? The journey would be an excellent one.

Does a car need to be a record-holder or a trend-setter to be a truly fantastic one? We don’t think so, and we’re not saying that because we’re bitter that our Green Hell lap times were laughably slow! When you feel like you’re riding on the edge of snap oversteer, but your FWD drivetrain says “how about no” and keeps you barely in control, you’ll certainly be having the drive of a lifetime.

An Economy Car? Blasphemy!

An economy car by Ayatsuji!? But that violates their like, only principle! That’s no fun!
Let us finish our demonstration before you question us dear viewer, because I think you’ll find this economy car is no ordinary economy car!

It’s a fairly basic hot hatch on the surface, I don’t actually have much in the way of “quips” for the design. I’m trying to practice more normal, modern design, and of course, using JDM cars as influence. I don’t think it looks bad, but I feel like it’s missing something.

Outputting 193 horsepower from an NA 2.0L Inline 4, the Centauri certainly isn’t a slouch in its base form. It’s quite reminiscent of Honda’s original Type-R’s, the DC2 and EK9 really.

The Centauri is an interesting breed when it comes to statistics. Running Medium Compound Tires, it pulls 1.11 lateral G’s in the corners, and then falls off to .0872 in the high speed corners. It goes from 0-100 in 6.78 seconds and has a 14.94 quarter mile time.

And of course, what would an economy car be if we didn’t talk about economy? It gets 7.2 Liters per 100KM, 32.6 MPG for those who use America-Units. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself. But you probably already know - there’s more, after all I have mentioned the Civic Type-R at least once. And the Trim is named “Base”.

The Arrival of Ayatune

Speed is a from of art, and we at Ayatune pride ourselves on being the Da Vinci of speed.

The majority of car companies have some form of “tuner division” nowadays, whether it’s TRD, Nismo, AMG, or whatever they call it. Ours is Ayatune.

You’ll notice that the car was kept mostly the same, the design changes being subtle and purely for performance. Those changes are in the form of improved cooling to suit the addition of a turbocharger and intercooler, as well as a secret weapon in the form of aerodynamics. You’ll see how big of a difference that wing makes when you see the cornering G’s.

Trivia time: What’s the quickest way to make more power? If you answered “staple a turbocharger to it”, you would be 100% correct! With 320 Nm and 298 horsepower, the R3-T20DIR is certainly proof of such a theory. If that’s not good enough proof for you, perhaps some spicy lap times will be!

Coming in sixteen seconds faster around the Automation test track, the Ayatune Centauri proves itself to be faster than is little brother in every way. It even pulls a 8:07.67 around Green Hell, a almost a minute faster than the stock Centauri’s 9:06!

Comparing cornering g’s isn’t exactly fair, since we’re comparing Sports Compound to Medium Compound - however we can compare Medium to Medium and Sports to Sports. On Medium Compound,you’d be looking at 1.13/1.11 g’s as compared to 1.11/0.87 on the original Centauri. On Sports Compound, you’d be looking at 1.22/1.21 g’s on the Ayatune, versus 1.19/0.94 g’s.

As for economy, the wing does increase drag and harm economy, however that’s not to say it has dreadful economy! Pulling 8.4 Liters per 100 KM, or 28 miles per gallon, it won’t drive you broke if you decide to punch on it.

The only catch is that the Ayatune is a two-seater. But let’s just gloss over that.

The Conclusion

The world of hatchbacks is a world of joy in our eyes, having a car that can punch on it and bring home the groceries. Your daily driver doesn’t have to be some dull Altima or Corolla, it can be fun and interesting. We think it should be.

Notes and Author Comments

I was surprised by what a tough decision making the Ayatune 2-seats was. It’s such a dumb idea and no hot-hatch should be, but man I was too tempted to not do it. I should probably re-tune it as an AWD and keep that sweet sweet 1.22g’s if I can, but oh well.

Other notes: I’m considering making an Ayatune Engine page, so if anyone has remotely any interest in that, let me know. I enjoy tuning engines and I do need to improve my turbo tuning skills. Also, I’m considering making a separate Ayatune thread and making tuned versions of others’ cars, if anyone would be interested in doing such a thing with me that is. So yeah, let me know if those things interest you.

2 Likes