B-SPEC Bob Competition – 80s Hatch/city car [Finished]

okay so a 1.8 is too big, how about a 1.6?

I tried everything you said but they don’t effect the bottoming out, except for the ride height but if I increase that the car becomes an suv.

Due to many submissions already, deadline for sending in cars lowered to 10 August.

2 Likes

Your other option is to try to lighten it.

Not sure which body you are using, but some bodies seem to be difficult to work with in that respect

The last of the three cars is the 1987 CMT Mantra SLX.

The SLX is something like a “final edition” model of the 1976-1987 Mantra.
It recieved a 1.6 liter engine (I know, the upper limit) and a five-speed manual (rare in small cars these days).
Other than that, the car is so un-sporty despite the “S” in the trim name that it hurts. Plushy interior, rather soft suspension, this car is the typical mid-80s junk. Might be interessing to see this tuned. At least it does not have automatic transmission, to say something good about it.

@Private_Miros Is there a price limit? This car has rather rich trim as I wanted to do a car that was not especially built for this competition to make the tuning part more realistic.
If the comfortable interior causes problems here, I would downgrade it and S in SLX (the others are CLX and GLX) will stand for “Sparta” :smiley:

There is not.

1986 ADM Chapeau

Company thread link --> ADM of Europe™ - 1988 Madrid Diesel

1 Like

When submiting the entry do we have to submit some pictures with it?

As another upgrade suggestion, how’d you feel about a Limited Slip Differential as one. Considering most of these (I’m guessing) are FWD, I feel like it’d be a good upgrade.

5 Likes

Testing that, as I believe that is a good idea.

4 Likes

Exusia Gama GL

Made for a family.

4 Likes

All my cars have been submitted now. Here some information for potential buyers:

1987 Renoir Mignon XR
The red car is very small, but comes with a turbo engine. This will surely limit it’s tuning potential, but already the fully-stock car provides good acceleration. The car is very light which conceals its very simple and budget construction. The interior is quite nice as it was the Mignon top-model, so there can be a further weight reduction, but beware of wheelspin due to underweight.

1987 CMT Mantra SLX
The Mantra’s origins are in the mid-70s, and you can feel that. 1987 was the last year of production and it is not as modern as other cars. Nevertheless, the engine is at least not old iron. The 1.6 inline four is quite large, leaving space for furter optimization. The SLX was a rather uplevel trim, coming with sunroof, power windows and mirrors, velour cloth and decent stereo. The suspension is quite soft and also aims for comfort, so there is plenty of room to turn it into a hot hatch.

1989 Umakicho Asurito DL
The Asurito is a quite large car you get here. It has a brand-new and highly innovative alloy three-cylinder as Umakicho considered reducing friction as main target. The displacement of 1.5 L is really large for a three-cylinder but this car was optimized for the fun budget segment.
To still fit in the city car price segment, the trim of the DL was very basic, as it has neither ABS nor even power steering, underlining that this is the very entry level.

2 Likes

Brand New Lithium Avocet

Availabile in many colours such as; Deep Blue, Fire Red, Danish Green and many more. Equipment levels are very generous (Classic - base, Spirit - sporty, Avantage - range topping). You can chose between 1.0L, 1.2L and 1.4L inline 4 cylinder engines.

Made for families around the world.

1986 Lithium Avocet

4 Likes

The all new Mapel 89

Available in base (Turbo optional), HIcarry(Turbo optional) (model shown) and sport models, with a range of colours; plain white, blackened blue, turd (model shown), Girrafe tongue, that weird gray stain in your living room carpet and yellow.

The Version shown, a N/A turd HIcarry, is optimised for carrying smaal loads around big cities. its 4 access points to the trunk, and roof and trunklid racks help achieve this whilst adding little size to the car. It has 6 seats, a proper bench in the front and a fold flat bench in the rear, with a simple, but ample interior.

5 Likes

Submission of cars for consideration is closing today, just a heads-up.

4 Likes

1989 GEC GC1

It may be a basic hatch, but it’s economical, reliable, comfortable and cheap.

1 Like

LLA & Subsidaries Small 80’s Cars

Left
1982 GMI 450-ST
Middle
1985 GMI 350-K
Right
1982 LLA Maxi-VC6

1 Like

who cares about being small?
Size counts!

The Anhultz Dione
(absolute crap-model shown)

Player note:
i know my car is the biggest and prolly most expensive
due to time constraints i had to recycle a design

this is what i had.

EDIT:
btw: Automation price of about 15k

4 Likes

Would it be possible to maybe add the ability to do a remap to the possible mods, simply by adjusting the fuel mixtures, and also have the ability to adjust ignition timing. I also thought that it could be possible to adjust the wastegate on cars with turbo from factory to get more boost - or even add an aftermarket wastegate. Finally we could also potentially be able to change the Camshaft(s) for higher RPM and potentially power with the cost of reliability of course.

More

By the late 1970s, it was clear to the Earl Motor Company they needed to adapt to the times and replace the aging compact Eagle coupe, sedan, and wagons. Their RWD, longitudinal architecture dated back to 1960, and while it still sold very well thanks to notorious reliability, low cost, and spaciousness, its owners were beginning to be stereotyped as orthapedic shoe salesmen and school cafeteria ladies, as opposed to young families. Creating a totally new, albeit somewhat derivative FWD architecture, and slicing two cylinders off the sporty SOHC Goddess inline 6, they created the new-for-1980 Earl Eagle two and four door sedans, and two and four door Vista Hatchbacks. The reliability, safety, drive-ability, and space of the old Eagle were maintained, although while fuel efficiency increased, the change was less dramatic, with most customers reporting something like 25mpg, depending on the model. Comfort was also only so-so on the very-very-base 1.6S model, like this one shown. The midlevel 1.8C and 2.0L fared much better, with those models usually having automatic transmissions, nicer radios, and sunroofs. Soon a Vista Convertible and performance Vista VHS (Very High Speed) were released, expanding the range. The Vista, and to a lesser extent the Eagle, for better or worse, were the defining “cheap car” of the 1980s, as due to their continued sucess Earl let them go by with incremental changes until being replaced by new models in 1990.

9 Likes