B0bsaget007's Car History

Hi all. I just wanted to share with you the cars I have owned and what I own now.

My first car was a 2008 Audi A4. I owned it from June 2013 through August 2014.

It had a 3.2L V6 rated at 255 hp and 243 lb-ft torque. It sent power to all 4 wheels through a 6-speed manual gearbox. The only “modding” I did to it was the red DRL lights, as seen in the picture.

It was a fun car; however, it had 125,000 miles on it when I got rid of it, which was A LOT considering that this V6 was known to not be reliable. I was only getting 18 MPG of premium gas, which was over $4/gallon when I had the car, which was ~$70/week in fuel alone, and the engine was giving troubles, so I had to get rid of it.

My next car was a 2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI, which I owned from August 2014 to December 2016.

This 2.0L Turbo diesel made 140 hp and 243 lb-ft torque to the front wheels through a 6-speed DSG dual-clutch. While I had it, I put a Borla catback exhaust. Didn’t do much, but it looked cool and reduced weight without being much louder.

This car was excellent, and was the longest I held on to, at 2.5 years, compared to 1 year for the Audi. I consistently managed 38 MPG, meaning fill-ups were only $30 every other week. I had originally planned to keep this car for much longer, but then #dieselgate happened. Although, dieselgate worked out to my advantage because I got paid more for the car than what I had bought it for, and I was getting bored of how slow it was and how boring the dual-clutch transmission was. I missed the feel of a manual gearbox, and I wanted to go back.

And so, I did. Here’s my current car, a 2016 Chevrolet Camaro, which I’ve owned since December 2016.

Mine is a 2LT with the RS appearance package, and is powered by the 2.0L turbo ‘LTG’ engine, rated at 275 hp and 295 lb-ft torque. It sends the power to the rear wheels via a 6-speed manual gearbox (^_^).

This is certainly the fastest and most fun car I’ve owned. It’s not as efficient as my TDI was, but it’s nowhere near as bad as the Audi was, either. I get about 25-26 MPG of premium gas on my daily commute, which is mostly stop-and-go. I’d be closer to 30 MPG if I drove more highway miles.

The best thing about getting this 2.0T over the optional 3.6L V6 was modding support, how easy it is to get much more power and torque than the V6, and the lovely sound that the turbo makes. I definitely plan on doing at least an intake, a turbo-back exhaust, and a custom ECM tune, which should put me somewhere around 300 whp and 330 wtq (roughly 340 hp and 380 lb-ft at the crank), as well as better gas mileage.

15 Likes

Update to my Camaro:

A little less than a month ago, I put in my first performance mod, a new high-flow catted downpipe made by ZZPerformance. Here’s a sound comparison before and after the installation.

3 Likes

Thank you for saving the manuals! :grinning: Must get aftermarket air intake and tune!

3 Likes

Those are the next steps planned… just need the $$$ to do so :disappointed:

Little update: I’ve added a cold air intake, specifically the Injen EVO7300.

And, sadly, about three months ago I was in a minor accident. A woman cut me off on the highway without looking and side-swiped my front end. Was not a fun day.

1 Like

Well, a lot has certainly happened in my life since I bought my Camaro almost 3 years ago. My priorities have changed, and I’m no longer going for a high-powered sports car. Yesterday, the 11th of August 2019, I traded in my Camaro for a 2016 Chevrolet Malibu Premier.

Now, this Malibu is the same exact model year, the same exact color, the same exact engine, and it was even the same exact mileage as my Camaro. I just needed something that was more comfortable and easier to live with, without sacrificing overall performance. Having the same exact engine in a car that weighs almost exactly the same (if not a little bit lighter) means that acceleration is almost equal to that of the Camaro, with the exception of launching off the line due to the FWD architecture. This car also has an Aisin 8-speed automatic, as opposed to the 6-speed manual that my Camaro had, which equates to a much smoother and easier drive. It’s not a fast transmission during shifts, but it is very smooth in its operation.

Trading for this Malibu in particular also added on more features than just having 4 doors and 5 seats. This one happens to have both of the Driver Confidence packages, which include a full suite of advanced safety and driver assistance technologies like Adaptive Cruise Control, Automatic Parking Assist (it can park itself into parallel OR perpendicular parking spaces), Blind Spot Monitoring, etc.; none of which my Camaro had, despite being the higher trim level.

Currently, I don’t plan on doing any performance modifications or tuning on this car, since I got it with a factory warranty extension that’ll last me for 5 years and 60k miles extra. I might do a headlight upgrade, since even this fully loaded model only comes with projector halogens; and, if I still have this car when the warranty period expires, only then will I do a tune.

3 Likes

Congrats dude! Good luck with it! Very strange coincidence though on the similarities between it and your Camaro. :thinking:

1 Like