Bad Car Design Challenge

1997 Radnik WH250

Jaku Motor Co. is proud to present the brand new Radnik WH250.
This is a utility vehicle where reliability and cost is the top priority, but don’t be fooled, it also includes top notch safety and entertainment features. With its comfortable interior and premium cassette player you’ll never be bored at work!

Under the bonnet you can find the bulletproof 2.5L DZ25-ECO engine which puts out a peak of 70 HP and 166 Nm of torque through all 4 wheels. The transmission is a 6-speed manual and the differential has a manual locker. The top speed is 150 km/h, and 0-100 km/h in this 1280kg vehicle can be done in 18.4 seconds.

The car runs on unleaded 95 RON and the average fuel consumption is 11.9L/100km. With all these qualities you might be thinking “I could never afford such a piece of amazing automotive technology.”, but worry not!

The Radnik WH250 starts at an affordable $13 000!

6 Likes

how dare you call the avantime bad

5 Likes

I’m the first one to think it’s beautiful but seeing its sale values, It’s not hard to admit not everyone shares my POV!

1998 Rattlesnake VT

The Shethol Motor Company is not quite proud to present the '98 Rattlesnake VT, their newest entry into the budget sports car market. While Chief Designer Marcus Lottacoke was on an excursion deep in Mexico's deserts*, he had an unfortunate incident involving being bitten by a highly poisonous rattlesnake, with complications resulting in a 3 month coma. After awakening, he became possessed with the idea of drawing inspiration from nature...specifically, in the form of a rattlesnake. Unfortunately, due to the drastic nature of the coma, much of his eyesight was taken from him, which he was unfortunately intent on not preventing him from designing this car. 

*Due to ongoing legal proceedings we can neither confirm nor deny Mr. Lottacoke's visit to Mexico was related to his current legal cases involving drug smuggling charges at this time.

Drivetrain

3.0L V6

167 Hp @ 6200 RPM

Front Transverse FWD

5 Speed Manual

Interior

Soft-Top Convertible

5 Seats

CD Player

Performance

0-60 mph in 7.6s

15.66s 1/4 Mile

Top Speed of 141 mph

Economy

91 RON Fuel

16.1 mpg

1321.1 Emissions

Pricing Starts At

$19,600.00

BDC-Warren_Boofit-Shethol_98_Rattlesnake_-_VT.car (52.6 KB)
8 Likes

The 1997 Rivera Stagnade Freeroamer.
It’s a minivan, i guess

what even is this
who let john command the design team while i was gone
why are the headlights circles
when did this ever go through a quality check
how is this a production model

why is the rear end so low
why is the lettering all lowercase
why are there wipers on the side windows god damn it

so apparently this mess does 23 miles per gallon on 91 RON fuel
seats 7 with rotating mid row seats
comes with a cassette player
is rated 49 points by the ASRA (Automation Security Rating Association)
but i still dont see why there’s wipers on the side windows

BDC_-TheLapTopX20-_Rivera_Stagnade_Freeroamer.car (55.3 KB)

8 Likes

Seeing these on the road in the winter I must admit, the coolest thing about these are the side windshield wipers!!!

Reduit BH4

I’m sorry

7 Likes

Besides the windshield wipers, this looks pretty damn decent.

1999 Decarlis D10 Outroads

8 Likes

Is that one of the MPV van bodies?

Yes, the smallest one.

1999 Solare Roma: The cheapest mid engined sports car you could possibly buy, starting at $20,000

Specifications

Chassis

• Galvanized Steel Monocoque/Partial Aluminum Panels
  • Mid Longitudinal Engine Placement
  • MacPherson Strut, Front and Rear

Drivetrain

• Transverse Rear Wheel Drive
  • 5 Speed Manual Transmission (Optional: 5 Speed Automatic Transmission)
  • Open Differential (Optional: Geared Limited Slip Differential)
  • Electronically Limited to 118 MPH

Wheels And Rims

• Radial Medium Compound Tires (Optional: Sports Compound Tires)
  • 17 Inch Steel Rims (Optional: Alloy Rims)
  • 185F/215R Tire Width

Brakes

• 350mm Solid Disk Brakes, Front and Rear (Optional: Vented Disks)

Interior

• Electronically Adjustable Leather Seats
  • Soft Plastic Dashboard
  • Electronic Windows
  • Suede Steering Wheel, Door Card, Center Console
  • Compact Disk Player, Cassette Deck, AM/FM Radio
  • 4 Speakers (Optional: Hi Quality Speakers, with Tweeters Built Into the Dashboard)

Driver Aids/Safety

• Optional Power Steering
  • ABS (Optional: Electronic Stability Control)
  • Basic 90s Safety (Optional: Standard 90s/Advanced 90s)

Suspension

• Progressive Springs
  • Gas Mono-Tube Dampers
  • Passive Sway Bars

Engine

Ecotec Inline 4 (207.5 hp)/ Ecotec V6 (323.0 hp)

• Cast Iron
  • Dual Overhead Cam, 4 Valve Per Cylinder
  • Turbo
  • VVT (All Cam)
  • Per Cylinder Multi Point EFI
  • Regular (91 RON)/Premium (95 RON) Gasoline

Starting at $20,000
Comes to 33,100 when Fully Optioned

other stupid stuff
https://imgur.com/a/tMcX5bo

here’s some extra info about the i4, because automation won’t let you change engine family stuff without affecting the entire lineup. i made this little album so i could make the engine variants as similar as possible without having to go back to the original engine a bunch

BDC_-Ldub0775-_Solare_Roma.car (35.8 KB)
final car

Solare_-_Roma_Premium.car (35.7 KB)
the fully optioned version

Some WIPs

renno twongi

awful popups

split headlight bulbs

basically final version, but yellow and with side vents

final version

3 Likes

what a sin on the roma name

4 Likes

Yeah, Brivio Roma was a pretty cool compact :wink:

what?

1999 Mandarin Avenir Privelege 1.4 16v

This odd french automobile is the result of a concept car escaping the design studio. It’s straight lines, sharp corners and odd geometric shapes clash with the sea of blobs that have conquered the roads in the 90’s.

On the inside it looks like you would expect from a budget premium car: it’s beige, black and silver and it has many weird quirks.

The engineering is somewhat sensible with a 1.4 SOHC 16v inline 4 barely producing over 70hp, coupled to a 5 speed manual putting the power down via the front wheels. But like I said the engineering is SOMEWHAT sensible as the car rides on hydropneumatic suspension based on the company’s 80’s design.

Just imagine the front license plate, I definitly didn't forget it even after checking everything 4 times
14 Likes

I really dislike your choice of examples. All of these cars are unique, Twingo and Korando are really good looking, Ypsilon is very far from bad looking car either. BTW Ypsilon, Twingo and Multipla are really well designed ergonomically and mechanically.

I’d say a more accurate name for this challenge should be “Questionably Designed Budget Car Challenge” so that we don’t get a bunch of cars that’re engineered to be unrealistically awful. I’m not naming any names here but getting sub-20mpg from a late-90s compact is absolutely ridiculous.

5 Likes

yes. my entry was basically “what can i do to make a decent car out of this really stupid design gimmick,” nothing about it is terrible but it’s questionable as hell

2 Likes

Some of the cars here are questionable, however I do consider my entry bad. It doesn’t look ugly, but it’ll make you believe Opel Corsa B is a luxury car. Taste is subjective. I absolutely hate some cars, whereas someone else loves the same cars.

1 Like