BeamNG wobbly wheels

No idea what’s going on here but it’s the second track car that I made which is having this issue. I don’t know why but basically I have a car with around 720hp weighing in at just over 1200kg, all wheel drive. It puts power down well and when it handles, it handles great.
BUT…
Front wheels tend to wobble a lot left and right under turning and braking. This also happens when I’m about to lose grip - or just when going very slowly. Effects can be quite dramatic and the car is pulling off to the left at pretty much any speed - it’s not a massive change but noticable on long straigts.

I will take a deeper look into aero later as the front wing looks wobbly and twisted at standstill, meanwhile I’ve no idea what could be causing the front wheels to wobble so bad. They are double wishbones, tyres are around 265 wide, less than 2 degrees negative camber with a sport but balanced suspension. I didn’t even need to use sway bars on this car and putting them on doesn’t seem to affect anything either.

Basically all out of ideas. The same version of this car with a heavier chassis and slightly less power didn’t seem to do this (at least maybe I didn’t notice it so much?) and I have no issues with ‘‘regular’’ cars as well as heavy fast cars - my 2.4t limo handles like a dream with the same engine :S So far I’ve only had this issue with incredibly light but powerful cars.

Has anyone been able to figure this out? Has anyone come across this problem? Any known issues or combos that are prone to cause this?
I know pushrods can be a handful but I’m using pushrods at the rear and they are perfectly fine :S It’s the front end that won’t behave.

1 Like

Try to give the car more ride height, it sounds like you are riding on the bump stops, generating large forces for the calculation ticks that then get instable. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll be testing this myself, as I frequently encounter this issue (not surprisingly), and wonder if it’s just the bump stops (hopefully it is), or whether ramming 2500hp through to the wheels itself is going to send the calculations berserk :joy:

Look at the Youtube videos by Failrace, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go9nM-7kQTM&list=PLoGJHUFCbxJAw-jzZxcTWor1I8TUQy-vg
Nearly all high power WIDE Semi Slick wheeled behaved like that.

Yeah not riding the wheels on the bump stops helps a bit in some cases but it’s like if the total friction through that wheel hits a certain points the beams just can’t cope.

Afaik my bottom out was 0 but I will add some height later and see. I did notice that too however, maybe even wider tyres then? Or narrower/harder compound hmm it does seem to happen more around the point the wheels are just about to lose traction. (Though there is also a ton of vibration when coasting at like 3mph)

I’d really hate having to detune the car for the sake of handling, mad performance is kind of the point :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I did make a mental note about wobbly wheels on FailRace autocross series BUT some of the cars had no ussues at all while others wobbled like crazy. Hmm

Does significantly increasing either the suspension or the chassis quality change anything? I’ll test this myself later, but it seems that it’s the proportion of tyre friction to chassis weight that flummoxes the calculations…

Good thing my second stick of ram I ordered arrived today, I can finally have Beam and Automation open at the same time without any performance issues. Saves me having to quit and load, instead just flicking between the two.

So far increasing wheel width did nothing to help. Increased the suspension travel and again, nothing much. Not a drastic change mind you. My bottom out was zero to begin with :S

Changing to sports tyres didn’t fix it either.
got rid of the funky aero wing at the front, a tiny bit better but still there.
Car still pulls left slightly.
I tried forcing the power distribution 60-40 with a rear bias but that didn’t do anything either.
It may well be just like Strop says - total wheel friction is critical and beam goes haywire.

I’ll try and add more weight (reluctantly) and see if the issue persists.

EDIT:
That didn’t help so far (+100kg) but the car definitely feels less responsive so that’s not a step in the right direction either :S

try making drastic changes to your tyre grip by either 1) reducing tyre width or 2) downgrading the compound significantly and see if that changes anything. One thing I noticed about the Beam cars is that aside from the drag cars (special case), the next most powerful car has barely 700hp and the tyres are pretty narrow and not that grippy.

1 Like