Best buy for under 14K 1993 (Final verdicts: page 5/5, final conclusion!)

I’m by no means trying to start a keyboard war now, so this is just a small explanation.

I could start writing my reviews in Swedish, that would be the only way to make them look completely realistic (and I would love to do, lol), but then almost nobody would understand them.

However, I try to use terms that would have been used in the era, but they sometimes get lost in translation. I had never heard the term “E segment car” until somewhere in the 00s. It might have been used in other european countries, but not here. And at least back then, a “middle class car” was more or less a description of everything that slotted in between the Volkswagen Golf and the Volvo 940/960 series, quite a huge gap to fill, but still smaller cars than the Orion. So “upper middle class car” would have translated into a description of something like a VW Passat or Saab 900, to distinguish them from smaller “middle class cars” like the Mercedes 190 or Volvo 400-series.

“Large car” could have been a better translation but I thought that “Full size” was a better marker that I was talking about the class of car, might have been the wrong decision, I don’t know.

4 Likes

“Somewhere in the 00s” is exactly when any real knowledge about cars appeared for me, so that fits :wink: I have no idea what terms were used in Poland in 1993. I like those letters exactly because they are simple and hard to take for something else (like the generic “large car” designation). Oh, and it seems that “upper-middle class” is mostly a (translated) Polish term… and, to make it clear, here it’s a fully separate segment above the “middle class” - but yeah, those terms are sometimes confused here too.

Anyway, I didn’t intend to impose any system here, I just assumed that it’s the American designation and a mistake in it, since both the car itself is supposed to be American and for me the term “fullsize” = American car segment (I have no euro association with that term). My mistake :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not saying that anyone have made a mistake, discussions like this can be interesting as long as they don’t go overboard, you often learn something new from them too.

But at least we probably can agree that a Python Mini would fit inside the glovebox of the Orion so it’s by no means tiny anyway. :wink:

3 Likes

This gives me an idea for an awesome forum challenge! :thinking::nerd_face::laughing::shushing_face:

3 Likes

Mr CAT says “Here’s my toy car, Here’s my real car!”

2 Likes

FINAL VERDICTS, PAGE 4/5

HIROCHI EXATIMA

At the first glance, it seems almost unbelievable that such a nice, modern car as the Hirochi Exatima can be bought for only $13800 AMU. The way it drives is on par with much more expensive cars, the same could also be said about the riding comfort. The engine is a little jewel and we could almost end it here by saying that the Exatima is the true winner of this test.

Unfortunately, corners have been cut at some very important points. A recent survey among owners of new 1993 models says that the Hirochi Exatima is one of the models that have had the most repairs done under warranty - now, it is sometimes very small problems, but still. Also, reading the report from the NHTSA crash testing is a sad story.

With a higher emphasis put on safety and build quality, Hirochi could have had a winner in their Exatima - but chances are of course that it would have priced itself outside the budget then, too.

Oh, and…how about adding power steering, maybe?

PROS: Roomy interior, comfortable, nice driving dynamics
CONS: Shoddy build quality, low safety rating, steering a bit stiff at slow speeds

OUR RATING:
Driving characteristics: ****
Performance: ***
Comfort: ****
Roominess and practicality: ***
Equipment: **
Engine and drivetrain: ****
Quality: **
Economy: ***
Safety: *
FINAL VERDICT: 26/45

MARA ZVEZDA

At the grocery store, the nearest equivalent to the Mara Zvezda is a potato. It might sound harsh, but we are actually saying it as a kind of positive thing. It is the everyday hero that is economical to buy, does its work absolutely flawless, but without any prestige and refinement.

For $13300 you get a robust and roomy station wagon, and to be honest, that is enough arguments to why this is a good purchase that gives a great value for your money.

But yes, more modern competitors offer more refinement and you will probably be laughed at if you arrive at the country club in a Mara Zvezda.

PROS: Low purchase price, robust, practical
CONS: High service costs, rough running engine, bland driving dynamics

OUR RATING:
Driving characteristics: **
Performance: **
Comfort: ***
Roominess and practicality: ****
Equipment: ***
Engine and drivetrain: **
Quality: ****
Economy: ****
Safety: **
FINAL VERDICT: 26/45

DECARLIS D20

The Decarlis D20 is a prime example of a well thought out modern supermini that shines in many areas without being shockingly bad at anything either. A perfectly good allrounder that is pleasant and fun to drive and that probably will make its owner satisfied in the long run.

And we mean in the long run. The build quality of the D20 is simply outstanding for a car in this class.

If you can cope with the drawbacks that comes with the relatively small size, this is a purchase we can recommend.

PROS: Decent performance, excellent build quality, decent handling
CONS: Cramped for passengers, lacks low end torque

OUR RATING:
Roominess and practicality: **
Engine and drivetrain: ***
Economy: ***
FINAL VERDICT: 27/45

AKIRA SPARROW

No, this is not another Decarlis D20 but in blue, it is actually an Akira Sparrow. Joking aside, the similarities is actually a little more than just skin-deep. Like the Decarlis, the Akira is a competent allrounder that is not really lacking in any department. But while the Decarlis may be more of a car for the active driver, the Akira offers a more relaxed ride and gives you more standard equipment. Which one you like the best is up to you.

It should also be noted that the Akira Sparrow costs $200 less than the Decarlis.

PROS: Good ride comfort, pleasant engine, well equipped
CONS: Cramped for passengers, bland driving dynamics, somewhat noisy

OUR RATING:
Driving characteristics: ***
Quality: ***

LCE LQ1

When LCE developed the LQ1, focus was on total economy. And while there is no question about that they succeeded there, don’t believe for a moment that this is some kind of road legal golf cart. It’s actually a highly competent and fully modern supermini. Sure, some corners have been cut, but nowhere to the extent that they should make this some kind of subpar automobile, and we guess that most of the customer base will accept that the car not really has the performance of a Rauk Fenrir or has an air-conditioned leather-clad living room of an interior. The engine is fully modern and very advanced, but like all 3-cylinders it runs a bit rough.

What struck us is how similar the car feels to the IP, and we guess that they will be close competitors that will be cross-shopped by many of our readers. Which one you choose is up to you. The IP sells for a little bit less but the LCE has better total economy. The IP is a bit roomier but the LCE has the practicality of the rear doors.

One thing that should be noticed is the extensive use of aluminium in the body that means less rust problems than for many other cars.

PROS: Very good overall economy, decent rust protection, modern drivetrain
CONS: Sluggish performance, 3-cylinder engine a bit rough.

OUR RATING:
Comfort: **
Economy: *****

GUJARAT MASTER

Can you imagine a world where you still could go to your Volvo dealer and order a new Amazon? Nah, neither can we. But the Gujarat Master that was released in the same year is still for sale, and it teaches us some important lessons.

We didn’t expect much from it but it really struck us with surprise. It really shows how a car that was engineered in the right way from the beginning and that have had its share of updates through the years still can be competitive after almost 40 years! And the old saying about how “they don’t build them like they used to?”, well that may hold some truth. According to owner surveys, as well as statistics from the annual traffic safety inspection, Gujarat Masters are VERY robust and reliable cars. If that’s not proof enough, go to India and see the abuse they will survive there.

But that’s not everything, updates done in recent years have given it good comfort, as well as a fully modern engine. It is not the most exciting car to drive, though, and they are known to be a bit hopeless in slippery conditions.

Also, one thing that may make some buyers think twice is the complete lack of modern safety equipment.

PROS: Robust, comfortable, economical
CONS: Bland driving dynamics, subpar passive safety

OUR RATING:

@nicholasrams774 @AndiD @Arn38fr @Serperior98 @abg7 @BannedByAndroid

14 Likes

FINAL VERDICTS PAGE 5/5

IP URBANA

No, buying an IP Urbana will probably not impress on your friends, but fact is that it is kind of a prime example of what modern day technology can do when it is used in the right way. This is by no means a fire breathing dragon, but an economical and refined vehicle, with clean emissions, large amounts of space both for cargo and passengers, good driving dynamics, all to a very competitive price.

To sum it up, a very rational purchase, but an appliance that nobody will be buying because the heart says so.

PROS: Roomy, economical, refined engine
CONS: Sluggish performance, noisy at highway speeds

OUR RATING:
Roominess and practicality: ****
Quality: ***

IMPULSO BT

The Impulso BT is a pleasant little car that has much that speaks for it, and more or less nothing that speaks against it. However, we feel that some tweaks could be done. We don’t say that variable ratio power steering or alloy wheels makes the car worse, because of course that’s not true. But someone (you, as the customer) will have to pay for them, too. We feel that many people could sacrifice the variable steering ratio and the alloys for a better appointed interior with more creature comforts, and a more up to date safety equipment. Or maybe pay less for a completely stripped out version.

Also, the suspension is sometimes impractically soft. Worth keeping in mind if you often run heavy cargo. But any major flaws is hard to find in the Impulso, we just feel that it could use some tweaking.

PROS: Economical, good rust protection, good performance
CONS: Strange choices of standard equipment, noisy engine

OUR RATING:
Performance: ****
FINAL VERDICT: 28/45

TIFFOSI NUOVA CITTA 60

The Tiffosi has its own style in an era where cars are starting to look more and more similar. A little matchbox with a cheeky face. And everyone seems to have an opinion. “Cute” according to some. “Weird” if you ask others. We are not going to judge it since you know better yourself wheter you like it or not, but under the somewhat odd shell, what you find are actually borderline impressive. It’s a very well built little car, that is very fun to drive, has superb handling and is easy to fall in love with. It’s mainly a competitor to the FM Street, but we feel that it is a little bit sharper overall - to a $13100 price that is hard to beat. No wonder that used examples will hold their value like crazy.

The only major drawbacks are the ones that always comes with a small car, it’s not really shining when it comes to interior space or passive safety.

PROS: Economical, extremely high quality, very good driving dynamics
CONS: Cramped, low safety rating

OUR RATING:
Roominess and practicality: *
Quality: *****
FINAL VERDICT: 28/45

HYENSU HARMONY

The Hyensu Harmony shows what an ever changing world the automotive industry is. 10 years ago, nobody had heard about Hyensu, 5 years ago people were laughing at them and now they are in the top 3 in a comparision test of 30 cars. Sure, among other budget cars, but still…

If you haven’t driven a Hyensu lately, chances are that a Harmony would be a positive surprise. Except for the engine that is a bit buzzier than we would have liked, it is actually a very pleasant car, a great allrounder to a competitive price of $13800.

No wonder that Hyensu Harmony is one of the few models that have climbed in the sales charts lately when most other cars are experiencing free fall.

PROS: Decent passive safety, very high build quality, good performance
CONS: High service costs, buzzy engine

OUR RATING:
Safety: ***
FINAL VERDICT: 29/45

GSI EGESTA

The GSI is one of our absolute favourites in this comparision. Another great allrounder, that is good when it comes to most parts where it counts, and where the flaws are small, few and far between. Quick, fun to drive…coming up high in round after round, one has to say that GSI has found the right concept for an economy car with their Egesta.

Or, at least, how we want one to be. High service costs and the fact that it barely makes it into our budget means that it is not the most economical in our comparision, though, even if it still scores high. Also, it really feels like great value for the money.

PROS: Good build quality, spacious, excellent driving dynamics
CONS: High service costs, somewhat harsh engine, low load capacity.

OUR RATING:
Driving characteristics: *****
Performance: ****
FINAL VERDICT: 31/45

LEGION WIMBREL

Yes, the Wimbrel has been around for over 10 years now. And yes, the age is starting to show, it is absolutely not the most inspiring car to drive with its relatively mediocre performance, lackluster driving dynamics and ancient 4 speed manual gearbox. But other than that, we feel that it is one of the best overall cars when it comes to what you expect from a daily driver on a low budget. It is roomy, safe, comfortable, reliable and will do the overall work very well. And at $13900, it fits inside the budget with a slight margin too.

PROS: Good build quality, spacious, good crash test ratings
CONS: Bland driving dynamics, outdated gearbox

OUR RATING:
Roominess and practicality: *****
Safety: ***
FINAL VERDICT: 31/45

@Knugcab @chichicoofisial @fasmukji @Maverick74 @oppositelock @donutsnail

SUMMARY
So, the GSI and the Legion is the cars that we give the highest rating. None of them are flawless but both are very good compromises when it comes to what you might expect from a car in this class. The GSI is more of a drivers car while the Legion probably is the better family car of the two. But that doesn’t mean that neither the GSI or the Legion has to be the best car for exactly your needs. There is many interesting choices from the almost 30 cars tested, and our mission was to give you some advice in which car to choose.

And, at least according to our opinion, only two of the cars are so subpar that we would not recommend them to anyone - Hakumai Spot and Ibishu Pessima. We simply find no reason to choose one of them instead of any of the other cars. All of the other cars are up to such standards that they more or less have their place in the market, and probably will find their share of buyers too. And that shows that progress have been made in the automotive industry. 10 years ago, many of the cheapest cars on the market would have failed completely to meet our standards.

So that have answered the most important question - can you actually get a decent car for under 14K? The answer is YES, and fact is, that this test have proven that even 11K is enough to give you a fully acceptable car nowadays.

It is about time for some of us to refresh our conception about what a budget car can be like. Especially now when the economy looks the way it does.

18 Likes

I’m so annoyed I messed up the engine year and got binned - mostly because I think my Rossi would have done quite well - and looked good too! Not that I’m biased or anything.

Thanks to Knugscab for hosting this. I really liked the more realistic, car review format, it feels less arbitrary than CSR and is more approachable to new players - always good the community as a whole.

3 Likes

And, some OOC reflections.

First, I guess that I have to say congratulations to @oppositelock and @donutsnail to the tie when it comes to the top ranking. Even if this is not a direct “competition” where the rating in numbers are everything, both the Egesta and the Wimbrel was cars that hit the target more or less spot on, despite being quite different animals, that’s what makes it fun, to see how many different approaches there is and how well they work.

Second, I almost feel bad for the IP Urbana scoring as well as it did. I hope that it doesn’t bother anyone? My idea is that if I include my own cars in competitions like this, I will learn from that. Comparing them to what others have done says more to me than just running my own race. And the Urbana is made to fit inside my lore and not tailored to this challenge, just like everything I do. Now it happened to score well, but on the other hand I scored badly in the 4x4 challenge. I judge my cars like I judge everyone elses, except that I have sort of picked up Vic’s idea of “never better than a tie”. Not that I think that it will happen in the nearest future anyway. So I hope that it is OK to the rest of you?

And yes, @Stryder237, it’s sad that the Rossi had to go because it could as well have been one of the contenders at the top! :frowning: From what I saw of it, it would have scored decently at least, it was a great car.

10 Likes

Thanks for hosting this Knugcab! I much enjoy the challenges you tend to host. Building a good car for a cheap price can sometimes be difficult, but it is supposed to be a challenge after all. Figuring out what you have to sacrifice in order to keep it affordable while still having a decent car is what I find fun.
Once again I found myself thinking my entry was going to finish mid pack only to come in third. Though if I was actually in the market for one of these cars, I’d probably go for the Proletariat Piersic, Akane Aurora, or the Plthin Mini. Those entries may not have scored as well as the others, but they do seem to have personality. And for me, personality can go a long way.

5 Likes

Did the same reflection and I think my personal choice would have been the FM Street. At least today. Design that still looks fresh combined with great driving dynamics (at least in theory, unfortunately I can’t run Beam anymore so I have to go by automation graphs only :frowning: ) and as you say, personality matters.

4 Likes

I must say that the vision of going though a wall of text might sometimes seem dreary, and that’s why I haven’t got into much of your stuff, but those looks are misleading - those walls of text are really nice and I’m glad that I’ve entered your challenge, which turned out to be really interesting and fun. Good job :slight_smile:

Man, that’s a long sentence.

1 Like

Yeah, that was a great challenge, was always expecting the next round of reviews with the same anxiousness as the next GT79 stage or so. :smiley:

Would have expected to place a bit higher tbh, but the air at the top was quite thin, so to speak. And at least I got a great quote that I’ll eventually put into the lore thread, if I may:

:joy:

1 Like

14K_-oppositelock-_GSI_Egesta.car (87.7 KB)

Thanks to Knugcab for an epic competition, your time and effort are very much appreciated.

7 Likes

Glad to hear that my car did quite well - better than expected, in fact. OK, so it didn’t trouble the podium places, but even so, a top 10 finish in the final ranking is nothing to be ashamed of.

1 Like

Another great large scale comparo by Trafikjournalen, thankyou very much Knugcab for being a thorough, patient and dilligent host!

If you’d like to experience the Proletariat Piersic for yourself, click here: 14k-HighOctaneLove_-_Proletariat_Piersic_100E_II.car (50.0 KB)

3 Likes

Congrats for all of the winners! Of course, its a pretty great challenge so I wish there’s something like it next year!

tbh im still kinda surprised that i did really well in this challenge anyway

1 Like

That’s high praise indeed!! :sunglasses:

Thanks for a great challenge. Was great fun.

Really enjoyed this, kept checking the thread every day for the next part.

Thanks for everyone for participating and for liking this challenge, and yes, there will probably be more of them in the future (not before the update I think, though).

If anyone that has any idea for an era and type of vehicle, feel free to give suggestions. I can’t promise that I will follow your wishes but at least it can never hurt with some input. :slight_smile:

7 Likes