Best company/model/trim/engine naming/labelling system (ideas)

Hey! Thanks for posting! I like seeing what you and others do to name their cars and engines.

So for naming cars and their trim I still don’t have a “system”, but I do try to stick to naming the car one or two letters of their type of body style + a number. For example:
(we have an suv): U50
(we have a coupe): C10

But what I do have is a system for is naming engines. What I usually do here is (examples below) I choose the letter of the alphabet that is in the position that corresponds to the number of cylinders, then, I add the displacement in liters. If each cylinder has more that 2 valves I put that in the name, if it’s turbocharged then I ad a “T” to the end. And if it is a “V” engine, I add either a “v” (for V60º) or a “V” (for V90º) at the beginning.
(inline 4, 1200cc, naturally aspirated, 2 valve OHC): D1.8
(same as before but turbocharged): D1.8T
(same as before but also with 4 valve OHC): D1.8v4T
(V8 (60º), 4300cc, turbocharged, 5 valve DOHC) vH4.3V5T

Thanks!

1 Like

I like your engine system !

I think I came up with a good car naming system, inspired by you all, i will post in the following days.

cheers guys

Some of these engines are serious mouthfuls. My main company just uses a simple and slick (IMO) system inspired by Nissan and Toyota. A letter to denote engine type combined with a second random letter and maybe a number to give the engine family. Always followed by a two digit number to denote displacement. Followed by a variety of assigned letters to indicate tune and equipment of the engine variant. If there is nothing, you’ve got yourself an early 80s carburated van or truck engine.

An example:
VT56E

V Big-block V8
T Engine family (in combination with the V)
56 Displacement of 5.6L
E Electronic fuel injection, tuned for 95 octane unleaded fuel

What we have then is a 5.6L V8 for high-end applications with 330hp…

Another example of the same family:
VT60M

A 6.0L V8 also with EFI but tuned for low-end torque, a truck engine with 285hp.

Another example of the same family:
VT58G

A 5.8L V8 also with EFI but with high-flow cylinder heads, high-lift camshafts and a more aggressive intake plenum optimized for top end power and and throttle response, a sporting engine with 400hp.

2 Likes

5.6L Big Block? Pfffft.

That’s not a big block. This is a big block. (Please read with Autralian accent)

1 Like

This is a Weineck Cobra. It is german, it is road legal, and it is powered by a hand-built 780ci V8 that produces 1200hp and 1250ft-lb of torque naturally aspirated. Years ago I’ve read that there is also a 1000ci engine available but I’ve yet to find evidence for its existence.

3 Likes

Ooof. I’ll need a few minutes alone. =P

1 Like

https://www.sonnysracingengines.com/engines/street-engines/sar-940-1600-hp-5-3-bore-space-hemispherical-headed-pump-gas-engine Road engine.

https://www.sonnysracingengines.com/engines/drag-racing-engines/sar-1005-2100-hp Race engine.

Now, how do we persuade @Killrob that we REALLY need 130+mm bore and 160+mm stroke capabilitys.:grin:

3 Likes

I too can’t wait for the Truckomation addon/ spinoff.

1 Like

I didn’t consider myself poor until I looked at those engines. $96K is approximately as much as every vehicle I have ever owned, combined and then multiplied by a factor of ten.

1 Like