Better V12 sounds?

I don’t know about you but I don’t think the V12 sounds very accurate? I might be wrong but it doesn’t sound very smooth to me. Compare it maybe to a Murcielago and the sound is noticeably different. Or maybe I’m not doing something right? Are Lamborghini V12’s built in some way that makes them sound different?

Every manufacturer has their own way of making their engine/exhaust sound slightly different…and they spend millions of dollars in R&D to do so.

The in-game sounds give a good representation of what a normal V12 sounds like without the engineering trickery to make it sound “like a Lambo” or “like a Ferrari”.

Fun fact: The Nissan VQ-series V6 sounds like no other V6 on the road - they have a very distinct and unique exhaust note. And yet, my old SHO V6 at certain rpms sounded like a Lamborghini V12! Same 60* V6 configuration, two completely different sounds. It’s all in the engineering. Come to think of it, my J-series V6 sounds nothing like my SHO or any VQ I’ve ever heard either.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/why-do-different-engine-configurations-make-different-sounds/

edit: to further drive the point home…

SHO V6 (I miss this car!)

J-series V6

VQ-series V6

5 Likes

Aye, the acoustic profile of the VQ actually is the biggest reason I want to stuff it in my truck. Such a weird little sound.

On topic, the V12 sounds fine to me. If anything, I would’ve preferred the V10 to be more race-ish", but it’s not the end of the world.

My stock Maxima sounds nothing like a common VQ either ('95 VQ20DE, probably one of the oldest VQs of them all), but this solely due the exhaust being so quiet you only hear actual engine noise.

That VQ sounds a bit like BMW’s I6s to me. And that Honda’s V6 sounds nice too :slight_smile:
Also speaking of sound and BMW - IMO they have a really distinctive sound, and what’s more interesting, no matter if it’s an I6, V8 or V12, they all sound more distinctively BMW than like other engines of their layout.

1 Like

As a present SHO owner, I agree, they are awesome.

I apologize for straying away from the topic.

1 Like