BRC: 1970 Nürburgring 24h [BONUS]

Answers the questions, thanks.

Now all I have left to agonise about is tire wear because with a long lap like this, making the car economical is meaningless if you need to change the tires every pit.

1 Like

I’ll probably have to allow to send me instructions to retune fuel mixture, ignition timing and suspension sliders after I sent the practice results. So no full new submission, just minor fixes as you would do them in the garage at the track.

1 Like

I am relearning the fun of teaching manners to mid/rear engined cars. All ye gods of suspension tuning, don’t fail me now.

Tell me about it. My rear-engined prototype currently has positive camber on the front tyres to try and get it to not kill it’s drivers at every available opportunity.

1 Like

I have a question regarding the Fueltank: Do we have to change the Fueltank (if yes, where?) or will this be done by you? May sound a bit stupid, but im pretty new to Automation.

The fuel tank size is calculated depending on the engine capacity. There is no setting for it in Automation, I do this for you.

First Homologations done

The first cars have been checked and homologated. See here what’s available already and guess which classes might still be empty enough to easily get to a podium finish! The folder will be filled with the confirmations of further cars, as soon as I make progress. As said before, I’ll be away for the weekend. I’ll try to answer questions though.

Google Drive Folder with Homologation Sheets

19 Likes

Is it allowed to change certain fixtures for the race version? Like mirrors and indicators and stuff?

Yeah, anything without effect on physics (i.e. aero) can be changed. Keep the changes to a minimum though, it should be clear which car is the production version :wink:

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s safe to assume it’s not OK to change internals (to say go from Cast Crank/ConRod/Pistons to Forged) & change fuel quality (Go from Regular Leaded to Super Leaded)?
Edit: Headers to have Race Headers for Race Version?

What is the tire life differences between the other compounds? sport - medium - hard ?
We can clearly see the lap time differences on our game, so it would be nice to also know roughly how much each compound lasts relatively to others.

If I remember correctly, it currently is at about double the lifetime between each of the compounds. I cannot confirm his before Monday.

In the current Rivals challenge, I believe the wear factor might have been increased (doubled?) compared to what I use for longer-distance races.

I don’t care about the fuel type. You may change that if you like.
Internals/headers are not allowed to be changed. We are still talking about production car racing, even in group 4.
Air filters/intakes can be changed in group 2 and 4.

How much time did they need to change tires back in the day?

Do I remember correctly that fuel consumption is based on the g/kWh value from the game, how many kW your engine is putting out at a particular rev range and in general terms, the average on-throttle time around the lap?

How many drivers do I have? This is important for coming up with names.

1 Like

Howler, I was wondering the same things. How long tires will last? What is the fuel consumption for racing, where it is full throttle unless braking? Is there a formula we can use in our fuel consumption, by taking the measurements of acceleration consumption and plugging them into an algorithm?

Considering there will be many very different cars, I doubt tire consumption prognoses could be turned into a very simple formula. I would recommend looking at previous BRC seasons, there is often some technical info about cars (i.e. running sport or semislick tires) and you can see how much they wear on the video. I understand there may be some differences. I assume if the Rivals tire wear is higher, then maybe it was also higher in the 1976 season? But there’s also a 1976 Hockenheim endurance race to check out.

In terms of fuel, if my post above is correct, then it also depends on your gearing and power graph and so on and so forth.

Ultimately, since we can make adjustments based on practice feedback from Der_Bayer, the key might be to make your car flexible so you can tune it to suit.

Edit: I guess in order to adjust fuel efficiency in any meaningful capacity, one would need to modify compression, which is not an easy thing to address in the garage.

In past BRCs it was always a good idea to look at the training and qualifying to guesstimate the tire-change needs. Obviously driver errors, accidents, safety-car and traffic will cause a different one in the race, it could be higher or lower.
I usually changed tires once i deemed the time-loss per lap as too high… that can be a tire change every 10 laps or every 30 laps.
It would also be recommended to look at fuel consumption, you dont want to pit twice :wink:

To get an idea i actually recommend watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNAe2Gmjjdo
Just Hockenheim, but around 148 laps of it

It is kind of ironic, I forgot the only thing I placed first with in the 1966 BRC. I have learned a bit since then regarding race tuning.

Is the minimum weight for a dry car or do we need to factor the fuel weight too?

For the dry car. Fuel and driver is added on top, no need to worry about that.

2 Likes

two things:

1: if we are fueling and changing tyres on the same stop, are both actions takes simoutaneously or after each other?

2: how long can we (roughly) assume a stop (without penalties or repairs) to be

EDIT:

3: is it possible to change tyres without refueling?

3 Likes