BRC: 1970 Nürburgring 24h [BONUS]

Now that we can have numbers, there was a way of designating the cars class in racing here in Australia. Letters were used as a suffix to the numbers themselves, eg: 64E… anything like that applying here, or did that never happen internationally?

Nope, no letters in European racing as far as I am aware of.

IIRC, at least in rallying, they labelled capacity classes like this: 4/4 means Group 4, over 2000cc, 3/3 means Group 3, 1600-2000cc, 2/2 means Group 2, 1300-1600, and 1/1 means Group 1, under 1300. Obviously with class system we’re using, that doesn’t work, but some variation of it could?

Yeah I thought of something similar to visualize the group classifications during the races. Nothing set in stone/implemented yet though :slight_smile:

Spreadsheet says - << all from left or:

Shouldn’t that be - << all from left and?

The track has been released!

Does it really matter? You have to score well in one out of the demographics from the left side or/and from the group column. What could you understand wrongly if the “or” is kept? Maybe my English is too bad to see your point.

Poll about interior weight removal in Group 1/3

The results of the poll have been pretty clear: almost 80% in favor for keeping the rules as they are - no interior weight reduction in Group 1 and 3. Poll closed.

EDIT:

Challenge is open for entries!

5 Likes

To make sure I’m reading the excel correctly - the Group 1/3 cars can have one spoiler and in group 2/4 cars you can either keep that spoiler or exchange it for a ridiculous table-like monstrosity held on by scaffolding i.e. a wing?

I think the engine reliability information is still to come but in case I just can’t find it can someone please point me in the right direction.

I am relearning the fun of teaching manners to mid/rear engined cars. All ye gods of suspension tuning, don’t fail me now.

1 Like

In general cars must keep the aero fixtures from the homologation car. No exchanging a spoiler for a wing for the race, no addition of lips. If you want a wing, it must already be on the homologation car.
I will clarify later that you can increase downforce up to Group 2/4 limits when coming from Group 1/3 using the aero sliders. Does that answer your question?

Regarding engine reliability: No recommendation. The more, the better. It can always hit you, regardless of reliability. I won’t tell any failure chances, as I still need to balance the model for a 24h race. That won’t happen within the next few days.
No car will retire completely because of any failure - every car can be brought back to the pits and be repaired. But it might take a looong time if you had major issues. So, the recommendation is again: as much reliability as possible.

Edit: I’m away for the weekend and won’t be able to provide homologation confirmations to the very early birds during those days.

2 Likes

Answers the questions, thanks.

Now all I have left to agonise about is tire wear because with a long lap like this, making the car economical is meaningless if you need to change the tires every pit.

1 Like

I’ll probably have to allow to send me instructions to retune fuel mixture, ignition timing and suspension sliders after I sent the practice results. So no full new submission, just minor fixes as you would do them in the garage at the track.

1 Like

I am relearning the fun of teaching manners to mid/rear engined cars. All ye gods of suspension tuning, don’t fail me now.

Tell me about it. My rear-engined prototype currently has positive camber on the front tyres to try and get it to not kill it’s drivers at every available opportunity.

1 Like

I have a question regarding the Fueltank: Do we have to change the Fueltank (if yes, where?) or will this be done by you? May sound a bit stupid, but im pretty new to Automation.

The fuel tank size is calculated depending on the engine capacity. There is no setting for it in Automation, I do this for you.

First Homologations done

The first cars have been checked and homologated. See here what’s available already and guess which classes might still be empty enough to easily get to a podium finish! The folder will be filled with the confirmations of further cars, as soon as I make progress. As said before, I’ll be away for the weekend. I’ll try to answer questions though.

Google Drive Folder with Homologation Sheets

19 Likes

Is it allowed to change certain fixtures for the race version? Like mirrors and indicators and stuff?

Yeah, anything without effect on physics (i.e. aero) can be changed. Keep the changes to a minimum though, it should be clear which car is the production version :wink:

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s safe to assume it’s not OK to change internals (to say go from Cast Crank/ConRod/Pistons to Forged) & change fuel quality (Go from Regular Leaded to Super Leaded)?
Edit: Headers to have Race Headers for Race Version?

What is the tire life differences between the other compounds? sport - medium - hard ?
We can clearly see the lap time differences on our game, so it would be nice to also know roughly how much each compound lasts relatively to others.

If I remember correctly, it currently is at about double the lifetime between each of the compounds. I cannot confirm his before Monday.

In the current Rivals challenge, I believe the wear factor might have been increased (doubled?) compared to what I use for longer-distance races.

I don’t care about the fuel type. You may change that if you like.
Internals/headers are not allowed to be changed. We are still talking about production car racing, even in group 4.
Air filters/intakes can be changed in group 2 and 4.