BRC 1976 - Under Pressure [E8-Q]

Heppy early halloween. :japanese_ogre:

Happy occasion of the umpteenth irrelevant post youā€™ve made on this thread.

5 Likes

Just for heads up:
Strategy deadline is soon. If you have problem with brctool in open beta or something, just use the backuped automation folder from before the update.

Do you know which version number it was that we build cars for this season in?

No but there are dates when a file was created so you can go with thatā€¦

1 Like

I had no issues with the brc tool while using the new version of the game, after all you are just sending the info file which shouldnĀ“t be affected to much by a new version of the game

Curiosity got the better of me and I ran the practice top three through the excel along with my own car (with pit times and such).

Leo looks pretty well placed to take this one, unless someone from lower down in the lap time order has an ace up their sleeve. And provided my excel does not have errors. Meanwhile Iā€™ll have a hard time trying to keep up with TheBobWiley and Absurdist, unless I can sneak in some drafting.

Should be a good one, anyway, the differences were in the order of a few seconds.

How well did your excel predict races so far?

Not terribly well. Thereā€™s just too much going on during the races with changing weather, drafting, usually a safety car, minor bumps, passing and so on. Using information from up to 20 laps in the practice I also have to extrapolate for effect of tire wear on short circuits.

For example the excel said I should come out 13 seconds ahead of mer_at on Hockenheim, but he came out 13 seconds ahead of me instead.

There are a couple of things I can think of which could have lead to that. Since practice was run in the dry, it is possible there is something in the handling of his car that makes it better in the rain (the difficulty is the same). There is the effect that rain may have on tire wear (or tire wear may have on lap times in the wet). There is also the fact that you and him were drafting each other throughout the race, and presumably could have helped each other get better lap times.

Having said all that, if the cars come out looking very close in the excel, I think there is reason to expect a close race. I mean we are talking about a difference of less than 10 seconds over a 1.5 hour event. Thatā€™s less than 0.2%.

3 Likes

my pit stop sheet has been within one lap once I got it correct after the first race. However, I seem to be doing slightly worse than pure numbers would lead me to expect.

@Trollercoaster ā€¦ we found you!

You reckon he looks like a muscular slavic/russian Justin Bieber?

You have an input for the weather on a lap by lap basis? Mine just takes a typical stint based on lap times.

If you guys get any more in depth with the strategy calculations you might accidentally create a new brobot.

My spreadsheet effectively does per-lap timings and I can set the weather for each stint. For example, if I am running a 2 stop race I will be able to set the weather for the 1st stint (beginning of the race to the 1st stop) and then it calculates fuel usage and lap times based on the weather and statistics gather from the practice run. If the current race% selection for the 1st stop would use more fuel than my tank holds it turns red. I can then do the same for the 2nd stop, which covers from the 1st stop to the second stop, I can set a different weather for that stint. Then I set the weather for the 3 stint which covers from the 2nd stop to the end of the race.

Its not perfect and I really need to fix up the code for ā€œunplannedā€ stops, but it works well enough that I all of my timings have been within a lap or two of the calculator. Once school ends in December I will probably have enough free time to actually work on the calculator more in preparation of the next season, whenever it may be.

How does it knows how will you consumption and wear change with weather on specific tracks, if lets say P&Q are dry and race mixed rain?
I do admire all the thought you all put in yours different but still the same sheets but I have a feeling that with limited data and randomness that is present in brobot, me, a piece of paper and calculator does as good job in 10min when needed.
Speaking of data, @matti where did you get exact forecast numbers when you came up with forecast/actual humidity graph?

the fuel consumption and lap time change from weather is, is guessed based on differences observed in past races. Its not too much more complicated than simple calculations, but it saves a lot of the repetitive work I would have to do for each race. If I had a car with better fuel consumption, like I am planning to have in the next series, then it will be helpful for deciding on the optimal number of pitstops to make for each race.

1 Like

Acquired them in the race stream. Keyboard buttons J, K and L are your friends.

1 Like

I understand you getting actual humidity that way but not forecastā€¦

Any news on when we race? This weekend maybe?

Analog. From the graph in the booklet. Counting pixels :grin: Not very precise.

2 Likes