BRC: Global GT Series [THE END]

BRC_small

BRC: Global GT Series

More Practice Results

I have generated all practice results and want to release them in one go - the goal is to reduce preparation time between races, as you are now able to prepare your race strategies for all races in advance.

• For those not checking the forums regularly: You now have plenty of time and won’t miss out to update the strategy between the races.
  • For those collecting ballast weight or want to update their strategy depending on the qualifying performance: You will be able to revise the submitted strategy until 48 hours before the race start. There will be official practice sessions with ballast and the qualifying results prepared as soon as possible after the previous race. You can then make adjustments to your strategy and have few days of time to do so (if you think it is necessary).
  • For any race where I do not have received a strategy from you, I will use the one from the previous race.
  • If I do not receive a strategy at all from you, I will put you on a default 1 stopper, which will be okay-ish in the dry but definitely bad in the wet.

Important: Make sure you follow the guideline on how to submit your strategy, especially the race number in the title of the PM. I need this to know for which race the strategy is meant to be.

Thanks for supporting a quick and hassle-free processing of the challenge! If you have any questions, just ask below.

Practice Results:

Info: I disabled the Race Day Condition for these practice results (all drivers on RDC=0)

Video on my race 2 strategy

• including the switch to intermediate tires for the rain shower at the end of the race

15 Likes

Sorry I’m a bit late with this, but this is the earliest possible time I could look at it (have been quite busy starting at my new job). I have a few questions:

I assume the tyre compound/track humidity trigger, the tyre grip loss trigger and the damage repair trigger are all for unplanned pitstops.

So what would/could be the trigger (value) for a planned pitstop within the pit window? Am I correct in assuming (if there is no safety car window active) the only planned pitstop within the pit window would happen the lap before the car runs out of fuel?

The planned stop happens at the time you set it. If any other trigger ( tire wear, safety car, tire compound, damage) is activated within the pit window before the planned stop, the planned stop is preponed and replaced (it is an earlier stop but still done as planned).

2 Likes

BRC_small

Strategy Deadline Race 1

The strategy deadline for race 1 has now passed and many people did not send a strategy. I missed to send a reminder before the weekend, so I will extend the deadline by another 48 hours, counting from now on.

New and final deadline: Wednesday, February 8, 7 a.m. CET

People who have not submitted a strategy after the official practice results post:

@66mazda @Aaron.W @AMuteCrypt @B4nditOo @Chickenbiscuit @Emilius73 @EnryGT5 @Falling_Comet @HelloHi @Jaimz @Lordred @Mythrin @Ne0 @Nyxana @On3CherryShake @pyrlix @Rudzis @S_U_C_C_U_L_E_N_T @S31 @ShadowUnicorn_Gaming @SmonsSmithy @SurrealCereal @Trollercoaster @VaporRossa @variationofvariables @Zabhawkin

Some of the mentioned participants have submitted a strategy before the official practice results post already - I did not check each one individually. You may update your strategy or just leave it as is and ignore the ping.

9 Likes

I looked, honestly, but was unable to make any noticeable modifications to bring my car from the back of the grid. :frowning:

So I’m going with whatever the defaulted switch mode is…the only way I’ll improve is through attrition.

Some needs to write a guide on making racing cars…pretty please! :smiley:

The answer is… :cheese:. Lots and lots of :cheese:. And when you think you can’t take any more more :cheese:, add some more :cheese:.

3 Likes

I take it you work in the computer department of the Unseen University?

If there’s a problem then add cheese and reboot the universe!

I may give it a shot outside of the cheese as that is ever changing, but probably gotta have some guest writers to make it a good and full guide. Not sure if my credentials are the best but hey.

I’m just the humble librarian at UU and actually prefer :banana:s and :cake:. Maybe that’s why I’m more in the midfield rather than at the front of the pack. But I did hear about the magnificent :cheese:-ing that would allow one to shoot to the front. The secrets appear to depend on :red_car:s behaving like :airplane:s, and softer than :cloud: suspensions.

5 Likes

More suspension so bouncy that :basketball: bounce less. Soft squishy :red_car: with my particular tune more like a :passenger_ship: due to big weight. Most other cars are more like :flight_departure: but some quick ones are still pretty :rocket: with “proper” downforce. If I ever get the time I would write an “engineers guide to rocketspeed” but the problem is that race cars aren’t a “One formula” thing since it’s all dependent on the rules.

2 Likes

I’d be happy to do a small guest section and/or offer some comments.

As it has been said, cheese and finetuning would be difficult to pin down in a guide, since the former changes and the latter depends on the ruleset, but good fundamentals will always be good fundamentals.

2 Likes

Try something, check lap time. If lap time gets better, try same thing but further in that direction. If it gets worse, try other direction. If neither direction gets better, leave it there and try something else. Repeat a lot. Eventually you get a feel for what a given combination wants and a feel for the shape of the cheese.

BRC_small

Race 1 Announcement

Race 1 will happen this week! :checkered_flag:

Countdown

• Live on Automation’s Discord Server on Friday, February 19, 8 p.m. CET
  • on demand on Youtube afterwards

15 Likes

Perfect timing for me to view the Discourse XD

As one of the leading forces in the development of transportation technology, Seikatsu Motion Dynamics had an itch it just wasn’t able to scratch for a long time. It’s true they had their fair share of performance in their offerings throughout their history, but they wanted more. Dabbling with Group C and other associated endurance racing programs throughout the 80s and very early 1990s impregnated an insatiable lust amongst company executives, stoking intense passions within them that would not simply fade away with time. With the announcement of the BRC Global GT series, their call to action couldn’t be any louder.

With a goal etched into stone before them, Seikatsu immediately ran into the forefront of their problems: money. Thanks to the Japanese recession of the 90s, reviving their now-dead Group C program and adapting it to the new series was a monumental financial burden they simply could not bear alone. Dreams were crushed before they could come to fruition. Seikatsu’s GT program was dead on arrival.

But as history shows through its merciless cycles, desperation is the agent that dispels differences and assembles alliances.

Enter Zacspeed.

1996   SEIKATSU-ZACSPEED   『YR-1』

The Car

Like Seikatsu, world-renowned Zacspeed Racing also itched to participate in the BRC Global GT series. However, their only racing chassis - the WR-GT2 jointly constructed with Sirius - was outlawed due to a change in rules for 1996. Out of desperation from both parties, they unanimously agreed to join forces. With Seikatsu’s manufacturing prowess and Zacspeed’s racing expertise, this joint venture proved mutually beneficial.

Seikatsu designed the exterior and bodywork, while Zacspeed was responsible for the chassis, powertrain, and suspension. Construction and stress tests were conducted at their respective motorsports facilities in Europe and the United States. During wind tunnel testing, they discovered that stretching the bodywork further behind the rear wheels and adding a sloping wing structure ending in a ‘kammback’ increased stability at very high speeds.

The resulting powertrain was a 4.4L twin-turbocharged V8. Like the WR-GT2’s powertrain, it utilized a crossplane crankshaft, giving it a distinctive engine note. Engine longevity, reliability, and fuel efficiency higher up in the rev range were prioritized instead of focusing on outright power. Despite this, it still outputs a potent 570hp.

CEO of Zacspeed - Zachary Speed - had an infatuation with aerospace and military aircraft. For such a high-performance, purpose-built GT car, he christened it the “YR-1,” taking inspiration from Seikatsu’s naming scheme for their sports cars (MR, GR, UR) and the designation of experimental American aircraft during the second world war (which had a “Y” prefix before the name). Aerospace influence can be found all over the YR-1, from the intake warning signage inside the NACA ducts to the central seating position and the gray paint scheme on the #52 YR-1.

#52 - Zacspeed Racing

DRIVER: :us: J.J. LENO

1970 24 Hours Nürburgring. Group 5. Group C. IMSA GTO. Group GT1. Few others had the privilege to participate in as many racing classes and attain as much success as Zacspeed has throughout its rich, storied history. They’ve proven themselves to be just as competent on collaborative projects as well, having formed partnerships with Silver-York and Bradford Designs in the past. Just like their prior designs, the YR-1 was designed with an emphasis on mechanical and aerodynamic grip - especially the latter - for superior performance on tracks with high-speed corners.

Zacspeed Racing knew that a racing series of this magnitude would demand among the finest men to command their #52 YR-1. What they needed was an ace pilot who could bring out the car’s ultimate potential, and for this, F1/DTM driver J.J. Leno was recruited for this responsibility. Having driven Rexsport’s WR-GT2 just the year before, he would now find himself behind the wheel of the brand new Japanese-American racing prototype.

#84 - Project ATELIER LIQUID STINGRAY

DRIVER: :hong_kong: ALBERT STINGRAY-LIU

Like his older half-brother Wilson Valentine-Liu, Albert Stingray-Liu picked up a keen interest in cars at a young age. He grew up watching the Japanese Grand Prix series of the 60s at a local theater. It was a calling to him; after watching Japanese manufacturers emerge with their own racing designs and besting even proven European designs, he knew what had to be done. Whereas Wilson would go on to work for Seikatsu as an exterior designer, Albert would go in the other direction and focus on the mechanical aspect.

Graduating from the University of Tokyo with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Liu found work at tuning company PERFORMANCE WORKS RENOWN (PWR), closely associated with Seikatsu. In the 90s, with Seikatsu’s plans to participate in the BRC Global GT series made official, he was chosen to spearhead the factory team’s efforts. Following Seikatsu’s nomenclature system for their different divisions, Liu named the new GT program “Project ATELIER LIQUID STINGRAY.”

Gallery

19 Likes

BRC_small

Race 1 Results

Race 1 is done! Congratulations to everybody who has made it to the end, especially the podium, and condolences to everybody who didn’t. Next race will bring another chance!

How was the race for you? It was hard to keep track of what is going on - but plenty of action! It’s a shame we lost @Pyrlix during the race though.

Race 1 Recording

Race 1 Result Sheets

17 Likes

the AT type-96 GT1, originally planned to enter the BRC GT1 series. Sadly, they said that they have ran out of budget for the project, but according to one of the engineers, what actually happened is that the engineers had forgot to add two damn doors, and it was too late when their add back the two doors. it has a laptime around 1:55.39 around the ATT. the AT type-96 GT1 is now preserved in the AT motor museum, and it free to visit this month, why not go and have a look at this engineering art

2 Likes

Love that the results say that people had an error in 1899
(May want to fix that)

EDIT: It does appear that some export areas have randomly decided to become date format which is… interesting

Also a question. How does the track dry up after a rainstorm.? Does it dry as quick as the rain stops or does the water hang around on the track?

2 Likes

BRC_small

Race 2 Practice

Practice results for the race in Al Rilma have been updated and include the success ballast for the top 10 cars in each class from last race.

You may submit/update your race 2 strategies until 48 hours before the race. When that will be is not yet decided (not in February though).

Practice 2 Result Sheets

7 Likes

Starting to figure out strategy… is there a trigger for “emergency tire swap”? IE say someone was intending a zero stop and it went to a full out rain - does the sim trigger a pit based on the “grip lost” criteria or is it just tough luck?