Brighton Motors & Argus

Brighton Motors, parent company of Argus, provides petrol engines for any application.
Brighton also makes complete vehicles, but mainly provides engines for application in Argus cars.

Watch this space for detailed company info and car selection.

Brighton Model X. First prototype vehicle wholly engineered in house at Brighton Motors in 1956.
Engine and performance specs to come.

The production version of the Model X is in development. Full reveal coming soon…

The Model X was in development for a further two years before being put into production in August, 1957 for the 1958-59 finacial year. The official production car was called the Super8. The super8 came in two trims. The GT and the standard Super8 badge. The latter featured 5 seats and a high revving 304 ci (4980cc) V8 engine. The standard 304 topped out at 4800rpm, quite high for a pushrod engine with cast internals of the era. With twin four barrel carburettors, an impressive 275hp, and weighing in at just over 2400lb (1100kg) the standard Super8 was no slouch. The Super8GT trim featured a higher revving version of the 304 ci V8 engine dubbed the “304S.” Aside from it’s increased redline of 5000rpm, the GT utilised forged pistons, conrods and crank, 10:1 compression ratio and a high flow set of exhaust headers. For reliability reasons, Brighton chose to keep the standard air intake fitted to the 304S. All this extra was good for a sprightly 324hp.

Looking to the future, Brighton Motors had already begun working on a fuel injected version of their 304 engine. Whilst the technology was expensive and in limited supply in the late 50s, they wanted to be ready the moment the could get their hands on the tech at a production level.

Below is the Brighton Motors Super8GT:

moar please

It looks very good! Better than what I could do, at least.

Thanks! I’ve got a revised version of the Model X in the works. Body is done, just fine tuning the engine.
I appreciate the feedback :slight_smile:
Cheers!

I don’t have time at the moment to make a full detailed post, and this image is not up to standard, but I wanted to get this out there before I go away for three weeks.

This is Argus’ first car. The Tempest. This particular model is in the range topping F5 trim. Let me know what you all think, cheers.

I’m back from my couple of weeks away with a new model to the Argus historical line up. This is the 1970 Mayfair Standard. A family car for the future featuring mechanical fuel injection bolted to a 204ci, inline 6cyl engine. More info in the pic.
Cheers!

Edit: reposting all Argus models here so at least they’re on the front page.

Argus WRC chassis, production car concept. It’s just an example of the design I’d like to use. I just need to figure out a way to get some headlights and tail lights looking as close as possible to the stand-in vents I’ve got on there at the moment.

Update: Here is my first modern car design for Argus. This is the production model for their WRC car entry in the 2016 world rally championship.
You will notice it’s quite different in the front and rear compared with the concept model above. This is because I couldn’t get any lights to sit in those vents and still have the car look good. It’s a real shame as I LOVED the agressive front end of the concept car. That said, I do like the final design I came up with as well. This design implements Argus’ trademark centre-split grille too, which is nice :slight_smile:
Let me know what you think, please!
Cheers
Oh and you might notice I finally got around to designing a logo for Argus!

Sir, you’ve made some really fine looking automobiles! :slight_smile:

Nice Argus Tempest F5.

Thanks people! Glad you like them :slight_smile:
I’ll make some more cars once I get back from holidays! We really need a mobile version of this game!
Cheers

Edit: by the way, the idea for the F5 trim of the Tempest is to be pretty much track spec. Everything about the car is about pushing limits. This is why I gave it the auto diff locker. This would make the car very strong on the track, but you need to know what you’re doing to keep it under control. Definitely not for the faint of heart!

(This was originally the post about the Argus Mayfair, moved all information to the same post as the Tempest F5 for the purpose of organisation. All Argus cars will be edited into the Argus post from now on. And Brighton cars will go into the origianal thread post.
This post can be removed entirely now if the moderators wish. Cheers! )

Very smooth presentation. Also glad that you took a mroe realistic approach with the Mayfair Standard.

Thanks for the kind words! Yes I decided it was time to make a car that was a little more practical. I also made a coupe variant with a V8 on the same chassis, not sure if it’s worth uploading though as it looks almost the same.

Here’s a concept I’m working on for a hot hatch by Argus. The company is interested in entering the WRC and this is the contending chassis. Just trying to get the lights worked out.

Hi people, I’ve just posted the production model design for the concept car posted above. It’s called the Scrambler XRT.
Head back to the first page and scroll down through the Argus lineup to check it out!
Cheers :slight_smile:

The Tempest F5 is very nice looking, good job!

Thanks, man, I appreciate the fedback :slight_smile:

I’d love to take a crack at the Argus. Send me a zip and I’ll get to work

Haha, thanks for the offer, man. But I’m actually pretty happy with how the Scrambler XRT turned out. I think the look I came up with is a little more original than the initial concept I made. The concept looked a little too much like a Subaru WRX from a couple years ago for my liking. It was definitely cool looking (IMO), but it wasn’t “Argus” enough to make it to production :wink:
Cheers

t00thPIK takes a deep breath and blows the dust off the old thread

Hmm, still functioning! Even after over 1000 days of neglect! Amazing.

So, with the recent car competition, I’ve been inspired to check out the latest updates to Automation and the new Unreal engine. Sadly, I didn’t realise there even was a competition until it was too late to enter. Oh well.

After playing with the '50s coupe body, I decided to make a new Argus Tempest. Originally, Argus was founded in the early 60s. I think this was mainly because I couldn’t come up with any decent designs for the older body styles. While the following is still rather basic, I think I found a groove here, and as you’ll see from subsequent posts, I started developing a style.

So, to support this new theme, I changed my car company info to reflect Argus’ founding in 1948 instead of the original 1962.

My journey began with a car called the Super 6. This was an inline 6 sports coupe which turned out pretty good. After this, I decided to try and squeez a small V8 into this tiny chassis. To my surprise, I was able to fit one! Albiet, quite small at 200ci (3.2L). I decided to pilfer the “Super” model from Brighton Motors to use as a trim designation. I felt it suited this car more.

Without further ado, I present to you, the first automobile from Argus: The 1953 Tempest Super 8

More to come.

3 Likes

Here’s the stats page for the car. In sandbox mode, I feel markets are pretty irrelevant, but I suppose it’s good practice for the campaign. To that end, I was shooting for the Light Sport segment. Initially, I didn’t quite hit the mark and instead created a more track oriented car. In fact, it acheived a market rank of 92% in this segment. After playing with the tuning a little more, I was able to get a peak of 72.5 Competitivness @ a 10% profit margin in the L. Sport segment with an affordability rating of 88%. The Track Premium segment favoured this car slightly more with 80.7 and 88.9%, respectively.

On the design side of things, the early body styles still seem to have limited morphing capability. Also, the default and non-removable bumpers and default mirrors really need to go. I’m looking at you, generic muscle car body. But I digress. The first Tempest is of course reminiscent of the C1 Corvette and AC Cobra. I think it’s a healthy melding of the two. I would have liked to add a more fast-back-esq rear window, but as I said above, the morphing is very limited on this body.

The V8 is very small at 200ci, but it really was an experiment for Argus. Brighton Motors is the parent company of Argus and supplier of all Argus’ engines. BM had started work on V8 engines fairly early on and most of their production engines were now around 400ci or above. These torquey, gas guzzlers were needed to power the larger vehicles being used to help rebuild Gasmea after the war. However, even BM had to start somewhere. Their first V8 engine was a 200ci experimental. More of an R&D platform to test their engineering. It was never meant for production. However, after seeing the success in sales of Argus’ Tempest Super 6, the parent began to wonder if they could put their little 200ci zinger to good use.

Initially, the Super 8 was born out of a rough and ready garage hot-rodding job. Basically, a small team of BM and Argus engineers shoehorned one of only two remaining 200ci V8s into a Super 6 chassis. The results were impressive, but not earth shattering. That wasn’t exactly surprising, though. After all, the engine was only 40ci bigger than the straight 6 it replaced. Outright performance wasn’t the goal here. It was the feeling. The feeling of having that little V8 howl up to 4700rpm. The sound it made was incredible.

Although the little V8 engine was classed as experimental, it was pretty much ready for production. There were some minor tweaks made to fueling and igniton timing, but other than that, it was ready to go. The car chassis itself also needed fairly minor teaks. Some slightly beefed up guards to fit bigger wheels, tyres and brakes, and the car was in production for the 1953 model year.

2 Likes

This one looks like an Austin-Healey, which is a good thing. Anyway, it’s nice to see you back on the forums after a long absence.