Codename Indistinct IV (Open Sep 25th)

Wow, what a nice surprise! :blush:

Well I thought the Windsor is a nice car, but I haven’t got a clue how good are its stats against the other competitors. I was hoped for a good result (maybe in top 5) but winning…

I’ve been sure that I wanted to use the fabulous new '50s Euro LWB body by MisterL. It was a pleasure to play with it. Thanks for your outstanding work Sir! :wink:
I went for an American look. At first I experimented to add some more chrome to it, like chrome bullets to the hood like you can see on the '57 Bel Air but finally I went for a cleaner look, in the mood of the '55-56 Chryslers.

Engine: I was done quickly: I went straight to make a big six. I thought it would be a good idea to spare some production costs with a simple but balanced engine and put that money into comfort and safety equipment. So I havent even consider the V12. (Well, Leon had a Jag with a six, so I hoped it won’t be a draw-back :slight_smile:
My first attempt was 3.5 litre capacity. First goal was to have some performance but avoid valve-float. With double carbs it managed to do enough power and after that I’ve de-tuned it to silent operation. I’ve lost about 5-8 horsepower but gained more silent and smooth running.
After putting in the 2-speed autobox (Power-Glide? :slight_smile: I was surprised that this big barge is able to reach 190km/h. I found it enough and left the Six at 3.5 litres capacity.

Thanks Aruna for hosting this challenge, I’ve really enjoyed designing the car for it and after that checking out the other competitors’ creations. I’ve no idea for the theme of the next challenge, but I’m sure you’ll came up with another good idea - if not now maybe a couple of weeks later. :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks! To be honest I thought you’ll be the winner - the amount of detail on the LaFayette is amazing. You’re the Master Of Chrome man, that’s for sure!

4 Likes

It is great to be the last one hehe :smile:

That was a nice competition and thank you for your time. I got a lot of new ideas.

The concept is very nice and I hope this challenge will continue with new versions.

1 Like
Codename Indistinct II

The year is 1960. Kyung-Yeong Industries, a large scale construction company which leaped into the automotive industry from 1946, producing it’s first car in 1951, the Kyung-Yeong Ssanvan, a budget family car that was quite prosperous.

With the great success of the Ssanvan, it was time to create the second generation. They intended to continue the tradition of the original Ssanvan: A versatile car suited to all conditions of daily driving with great economy, affordability, and fitting room for the family.

_______________________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________________
Kyung-Yeong Industries HQ, Daegu, South Korea

The CEO: Kyung-Ja Song, addressed the heads of each department of their new sourcing for inventive styling and design ideas.

Kyung-Ja: Today we will be launching our announcement to search for new creative individuals and companies to collaborate with for the design and creation of Ssanvan Mark II.

The group discussed their thoughts, some just asking why we don’t have our own design department on it.

Kyung-Ja: It’s simply put, we want to get exposure out there about our brand, and by getting word out to potential joint-ventures or rivals of our Ssanvan Mark II… It will build up excitement to the public, hopefully leading to increased sales from higher exposure.

The heads of department agreed, it did not sound bad at all, and so later in the day, it was broadcast over the world to many different brands and companies about Kyung-Seong’s request.

Scenario

Your task: To design and develop the second generation Ssanvan as a production-ready concept family car. Planned for release in 1965.

Requirements

Before starting your build, it will take creating a 1960 campaign save file to get specific unlocks and tech that Kyung-Yeong has.

Once inside campaign, begin creating a new car. Once you selected everything, you can export the car file, then re-import it to your game to freely edit in sandbox mode with these specific tech points.

• Model and engine family year set to 1960, Trim and engine variant year set to 1960.
  • Car markets will not be marked in judgement.
  • One entry per person.
  • Realistic design choices and coherence in design will be highly valuable to this challenge.
  • There is no body type set in stone. I recommend using a Saloon/Sedan, Estate/Wagon or Hatchback, but other body types are accepted, just make sure they hit the criteria!

Chassis

Kyung-Yeong used Monocoque for the original Ssanvan, so they have knowledge of making this best. The car must use a Monocoque chassis, but everything else is free to your choice.

Drivetrain & Engine

Open to any type. Don’t go too crazy with capacity or amount of pistons, this isn’t a highly prestigious brand, they are more conservative.

Engineering time will be 70 maximum.

Fuel will only be Regular Leaded - 92 RON

Wheels

Hard Long Life with a square setup (155-155) is recommended for best value & economy. But as long as it seems realistic and works, it’s up to you.

Fuel Economy

Aim for more than 25mpg (UK MPG), anything less will impact the overall entry. (Not cruise tests, the value on the Trim Statistics.)

Reliability

Overall should aim for higher than 60 on the trim statistics, minimum accepted will be 50.

Interior

5 seats is the minimum allowed seating, with no folding front seats. More is allowed on a third row if the car uses one. Comfort is a nice bonus, but because this is a budget-oriented car, is not expected to be high.

Safety

Minimum Safety is 28.

Suspension

Open to any type. Again, don’t go crazy with the suspension settings, aim for a cost effective setup.

Cost

The maximum materials cost will be 750 for engine, and 3000 for the car. Do not use these as a price to aim to, lower cost is much more desired than maxing out statistics even if it costs them some in prestige.

Misc

A lower service cost would be optimal considering the car’s market aim with the maximum being 400.

Minimum drivability is 25, aim for above 30 though as a target.

Suggestions and assistance

• Codename Indistinct challenges are slightly more based on styling, although engineering is of importance too.

• Kyung-Yeong are a budget-friendly brand. Styling and design choices oriented towards that will do better than ones with high cost and premium materials. Here is their forums thread.

• Kyung-Yeong Industries slogan is “Embrace in Joy.” symbolising the brand’s ideology of enjoying life and the drive. Their styling is minimalistic in the early years (current period.) yet stylish.

• The original Ssanvan is able to cross all kinds of terrain, climb high incline roads up mountains without too much trouble and comfortable enough for long drives and carry a good amount of cargo.

• Keywords to describe the brand would be: Budget, Economical, Reliable.

• On the workshop you can find Kyung-Yeong’s logo: Steam Workshop::Custom Badges Pack - Requested Edition (4.24) (OUTDATED)

_______________________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________________

Submission guidelines

Model name: Indistinct II - (your forum user name)

Trim name: Ssanvan (And anything else to go onto the trim such as “Basic” or “2.0L Saloon”)

Engine name: Your engine’s name

Engine trim name: Your engine’s trim

Example:

• Post a picture/s of your submitted car on this thread alongside your submission sent.

• Your entry can be an automationverse/lore client, or just made up for this comp, anything is okay!

• Important Note: No re submissions allowed - so please make sure that your entry meets all requirements before submitting.

• All mods are allowed

• Submissions will open at 12:00am GMT May 4th 2020 and will close at 12:00 pm GMT, May 18th 2020. You can send the .car file to me through the messaging system on the forums. Please note that until submissions open, rules and regulations may be subject to change.

I am using open beta v4.24. Entries will only work on this version, please make sure you are on the open beta branch if you would like to enter.

Have fun and I wish you success!

Important: This OP is a work in progress right now any input would be great. Things might change before the opening time.

With the certainty of the 4.24 stable drop, I will be extending the start and deadline by a week.

8 Likes

Quick reminder that entries are now open!

The release of 4.24 to stable hasn’t happened thus far, I’m not sure if I should delay it further but we will see by the amount of entries.

2 Likes

I will get the ball rolling with the Kyung-Yeung Ssanvan licence proposal by Knightwick motor corporation.

The car is a Knightwick K20 saloon with some styling changes for the Korean market and indicators added to the front and rear to replace the trafficators in the K20 model. Power comes from a 1098cc KA inline 4 cylinder engine.

Some close-ups of badging

5 Likes

Isn’t this supposed to be “although engineering is of importance too”?

Also… I started mine when this came out and just left it… oof lol.

1 Like

Oh yeah, that would make more sense in wording, thanks for that! :smile:

1 Like

Welcome to me questioning whether I actually know how to design or not. I spent about 15 minutes trying to do a gutter on a car with a rear windscreen that doesn’t wrap around. The only thing missing in those photos is the badge on the front fenders but whatever.

And yes I used a 1965 body, what can I say, it’s one of the qUiRkS ANd fEAtUrES of Campaign!

The Kyung-Yeong Ssanvan 1800 by AB Monozukuri has 70hp… well 69.69 but it isn’t a meme car so we’ll call it 70… And yes, it’s a speed demon which can do over 100mph! I don’t know when you’d do that on tiny roads in a congested city but I don’t care. It also has a Cutting Edge interior! (By which I mean it has a radio and some sort of comfy seats but not really cuz it’s a budget car, what do you expect!?).

Edit: I don’t know how to read, let alone design since I just completely missed the monocoque only regulations…

3 Likes

Post a picture/s of your submitted car on this thread alongside your submission sent.

My reading comprehension is a bit shit today, so would you mind clarifying this part? Do you want us to submit the file here or something, or am I completely misunderstanding what you meant by that?

Submit in DMs and post images in here.

1 Like

Mod bodies are allowed or not? I feel like this recent addition to the workshop would be perfect for this challenge.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2086165065&searchtext=

Edit: I see you allowed them in the last round of this challenge so I assume they’re OK for this one?

Yes all mods are allowed for this challenge, that body was in the previous update so will be fine in this too :slight_smile:

Presenting . The KY Ssanvan MK2 (Trident entry)
(With slight MK1 Cortina Influence)

This Motor car uses a simplified and easier to manufacture version of the versatile Trident Enigma MK1 bodyshell and floorpan with simpler interior and suspension and a 1600cc version of the Trident 1500 OHV engine which gives relatively decent fuel economy and performance for its size. The interior is NO Nonsense and No frills, designed for function over form, with seating for 5 adults and space for a decent amount of luggage.

4 Likes

Japan’s Kawaiidesu Heavy Industries is excited to commence their partnership with South Korea’s Kyung-yeong by announcing the production of a badge engineered version of the Kawaiidesu Mercenary shooting brake.