Codename Indistinct IV (Open Sep 25th)

I still can’t believe I completely missed the chassis rule… good luck everyone else, you’ll do better due to my stupidity :joy:

1 Like

Ssanvan Dinahu

5 Likes

A french designer in Seoul decided to try to give it a try, basing the motorisation on existing Porteur engine. He made the car with the idea of making it look happy. Uninspired, he just called it the 1100.

5 Likes

"In Distinguished Company"

The Bronx, New York, 1960.

• Bronx Engineering has been on a global tour in search of challenges where they can flaunt their acumen and better prepare themselves to launch into the world of automobile mass production.

• Before the Japan leg of the tour, the team from B.E. made a tour stop in Busan, South Korea - they were looking to license the design of the Bronx V12 engine to domestic Korean manufacturers and had heard of a new plant going up, as well as a manufacturing boom in the region.

During their time in South Korea, the BE team noticed how ubiquitous a certain quirky, yet versatile car dominated most streets. One of the engineers called it the Bel Air of the east, referring to its resemblance to the American classic. It was spotted in taxi livery, as well as police, and pedestrian guise alike. They got to ride in a number of them while bustling from meeting to meeting and heard the car’s manufacturer was seeking for external help in designing the successor to such an icon, as the unnamed individual at a plant meeting described it.

Hmm… this may be just what the team is looking for!!

The Bronx Engineering crew decided to stay in South Korea. - they reached out to executives from Kyung-Yeong Industries and scheduled a tour of their plants in order to familiarize themselves with their processes. Provided no company secrets be divulged, the graceful hosts extended an offer to view their design and engineering labs.

The two teams hoped for a fruitful collaboration that will ideally yield success for all parties involved … and B.E. got to work.

• Sentinel - Prime
    • 2000cc 16V SOHC I4 5000RPM
    • 77.5hp @5000RPM
    • 107.9ft-lbs @2400RPM
      • Modular engine family with variants from 1.6L to 2.3L

The power unit had to be reliable, robust, and simple to maintain - this one makes 78hp and a hearty 108ft-lbs of torque. The race-proven design of the 4-valve head guarantees reliability and performance, and the iron block which was based on Kyung-Yeong’s current design ensures longevity,

Despite more moving parts in a 4-Valve engine, the durability of the high quality components and precision of engineering amounts to longer and less frequent service intervals.

The body features a steel panels over a galvanized steel monocoque and weighs in at a comfortable 1040kg. As many design elements of the original were preserved, for the sake of brand identity, while exercising creative liberty in implementing key B.E. elements. The double-wishbone suspension was swapped for McPherson struts in order to save development costs while the rear semi-trailing arms were kept in order to keep as much of the original car’s handling character in tact as possible.

Inside, the basic interior was adorned and a standard AM radio and basic cloth seats, same as those found in the first generation car but with the addition of a new marvel of aesthetic and comfort straight out of America … head rests!!

2 Likes

Entries close in approximately 1 day! Best of luck!

2 Likes

Ssanvan A1500 (due to resent accident so the car was replaced by this)

4 Likes

It would be really cool if photo mover allowed for headlight, taillight, and turn signal operation.

Hey, so I saved the car file before switching out of Open Beta and I realized it’s not following the naming guideline (might have been created before they were announced? idk). Will you grant a one time exception to the naming guideline rule here, since I can’t change the name without switching back to OB, which can take up to two hours on my potato laptop? Some hosts like in the CSR are strict about naming guidelines, others aren’t so I was just wondering.

Unfortunately not, I stick by my rules unless it’s a random one-off, such as the bug with mart1n2005’s car not loading without instantaneously crashing in game, sorry! :sweat_smile:

Fair enough, I’ll send it to a friend who’s on OB, tell him to change the name, and send the file to you.

Results

Kyung-Yeong Industries HQ, Daegu, South Korea

As the deadline drew near for their design process, Kyung-Yeong executives met once again to have a brief discussion on their next generation Ssanvan…

The phone rings at the line, before President Song picked it up, listening in, he was informed nine submissions were on display in the courtyard.

Kyung-Ja Song: Alright, we have all of our entries awaiting inspection down on the courtyard, we will head there and spend the rest of today reviewing them.

The entire squad made it down to ground level and began observing and investigating each car on the lot.

@Fletchyboy100 - Ssanvan 1800 by AB Monozukuri

DNQ - Ladder Chassis

The first design the company had taken a look at was the submission from AB Monozukuri. The Design is cute and compact, but still has room for 5 people and some luggage.

Unfortunately, when one of the engineers checked underneath the car, they were surprised to notice it was in fact a Ladder chassis, invalidating the car as Kyung-Yeong would not have been able to produce it without completely overhauling their factories.

@Admiral_Obvious - Ssanvan Urban by Independent

DNQ - Service costs over 400

The interesting looking submission from Independent got the crew thinking it was quite a strange car from the beginning, but they did not expect to find a 1.8L V6 under the bonnet. Immediately after checking the interior it certainly was more than they expected with more padding and quality to them, even one of the latest AM radios installed.

After getting this far, heads were shaking, as this was going to be too expensive to run and produce.

@Maxbombe - Ssanvan 1100 by a French designer

The team was very pleased seeing this fancy looking car, even if it was basic, does not mean it had to look bad. They gazed over it from all angles, but not forgetting the internals, the interior was to be expected, but when they came to the engine bay and noticed a strange 4-barrel carburettor with performance intake they had a feeling the cost to run the engine might be steep.

Although the design was attractive, it was unfortunate that the engine was causing it to be too expensive to run, forcing the team to continue looking at the remaining entries.

@SolidSnake - Ssanvan by Bronx Engineering

DNQ - Engine engineering time is over 70

The American design was quite uncommon to the KYI team, the boxy shape and larger size was unexpected. Although they did want to consider it, and looked further, the latest braking technology was certainly good, and interior was expected.

However, once they checked over the engine things went downhill, it looked to be too good to be true, a SOHC 16-valve 2.0L I4. The team were immediately concerned if they’d be able to proceed with creating such an engine in the time space they had left. Unfortunately, it was later rejected.

@EnCR - Ssanvan A1500 by unknown client

Another rather cutesy looking car, by an unknown entrant, was rather neat, and had good presentation. Only the basics which made the team pleased by it’s exterior, although strangely they picked up it was named A1500 despite having a 1599cc engine was confusing to the engineers.

Once they looked over the insides, it was quite obvious to see where the budget had gone to, as the seating was much higher quality than expected. Because of that, they had to move on, knowing service costs might sky rocket from it.

@WelcometoCostcoILU - Ssanvan Shooting Brake by Kawaiidesu Heavy Industries

The crew checked out the next entry from another industrial company, overseas from Japan. The shooting brake style was quite interesting, and definitely offered more space at not much further cost… However, when they noticed a 2.1L Inline 6 and quality interior parts, they had to instantly reject the idea, as it would not have attractive service costs.

@mart1n2005 - Ssanvan by Knightwick

The next car they looked over was send abroad from England, the Knightwick K50 type rebadged with K-Y logos. It was very promising being; extremely cost effective in all areas, having cheap maintenance and great fuel economy.

There were not any real drawbacks, so it was a big contender as the crew got excited.

@Human89845524 - Ssanvan 1600 by Trident

The following entry was from Trident, it looked fit to do the job. The main concern was from the exterior designer, noting the roof antenna and looks were a bit too strange for his taste, mentioning the wing mirrors were too tiny. However, it did great in all other areas, being one of the best cost-effective models on offer from clients, it was good but somewhat on the more standard platform.

The company executives continued onto the next.

@HighOctaneLove - Ssanvan Basic by Bogliq

Bogliq’s rendition of the Ssanvan was next, safe to say the design lead did not really have much to say, but the engineers were rather pleased with costs and easy drivability. The practical use of the car was not too bad either, being slightly larger than most, but not too big. Considering this one, the team moved to the final entry.

@Kubboz - Ssanvan 1.3 by Seaward

The final entry was given by Seaward. A rebadged version of their Avantika. The team were very pleased with the aesthetic, and it even came with a catalogue showing the colour tones inside for them to check out. In fact, after looking at each bit of the car, it was cost-effective, did not have bad service costs, the most fuel-efficient of the lot and very practical indeed.

After a heated discussion over which was the best entry to begin collaborating with, the team concluded…

Congratulations to @Kubboz! The Ssanvan 1.3 ranked high in all areas, it is exactly the car Kyung-Yeong was envisioning for their successor model to the first generation. They would certainly have gotten back to Seaward and started a collaborative partnership with the Avanika/Ssanvan!

Leaderboard:
1st: Kubboz
2nd: mart1n2005
3rd: Human89845524
4th: HighOctaneLove

Thank you everyone who entered, I really appreciate all the time and effort put into each build, even if I had to disqualify more than half of entries. Even still I looked them all over and was amazed! Awesome job everyone.

I am hoping that @Kubboz will take Codename Indistinct into its third season, if not I’ll let it be passed on through the ranks of the leaderboard!

13 Likes

Nice to see I wasn’t the only one to miss some of the rules :grimacing:

3 Likes

I though everyone was going to be binned there.

Well done to the winner though, a very well deserved win to a good looking entry

5 Likes

Well done to the winner! The first and second place cars really deserve it!!

2 Likes

Pants…

4 Likes

Nice! I came fourth in a distinguished field of nicely engineered and well designed entrants… Wait a minute, I came fourth and only four cars managed to qualify. That means I came last again. sigh. Oh well, at least I can use this competition as a lore friendly reason for the 1965 Bogliq USA model range!!! :thinking::exploding_head::wink:

Excellent competition, congrats to all who entered and kudos to Kubboz for winning the Kyung-Yeong Ssanvan development contract. :nerd_face::triumph::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Huh. It would seem that I won. Well. Thank you @Aruna for hosting this competition, and a big thanks to all the competitors for the level of competition, that, I think, made the battle for the first exciting and unpredictable. (Well, at least the host gave such an impression.)

In case you want to know about the next round, I will in fact be hosting it. I already have one idea, which I do find kinda neat, with an interesting gimmick and all, but I shall brainstorm some more.

5 Likes

Sweet! I’ll be looking forward to it! :sparkles:

This was fun designing for! Looking forward to more of this, hopefully it’s kept up.

2 Likes

Now, the rules are still a work in progress, but! Here’s a little lore, for you to be inspired.

Codename Indistinct III

Welcome to 1990. Allow me to introduce you to Automobiles Rivett, a company with a long history of small sporty roadsters, and grand prix winning machines, reaching back to the early 1910s.

Right now, the guys at Rivett have just recovered from the unreliable (and unprofitable) mess that was the 1979 R2200. And while its quickly introduced successor is actually selling rather well, the decision was made to invest in a larger factory and go more…mainstream.

There are a lot of things uncertain about the project - the market analysis is still ongoing. We know that this new mainstream car will likely be compact or D-segment size (though subcompact cars) are also considered. We also know that Rivett is trying to capitalize on their “driver’s cars” image and is planning to introduce a “sporty” sister model (most likely a coupe), to go along with it. The time will tell whether it’ll revitalize the company enough to justify alienating the purists.

Scenario

Your task: To design and develop a subcompact/compact/small family car and its “sports” trim (both styled differently from each other)

Submission rules

To be announced.

Opening time

To be announced.

8 Likes