USDMFTWs Car Reviewing | Deader than a Doornail

2013 Horus Black Bullet GT-L

A front-engined, twin turbo V8 powered monster of a car sporting one of the heftiest doses of luxury on the market

A note from the manufacturer:
"The 2013 Horus Black Bullet.

In the age of Aventadors, Huayras and other precisely engineered
mid-engined track devourers, we at Horus went for something different in
a hypercar, with more of a focus on luxury, comfort and finesse rather
than raw performance. I suppose the ambitious challenge thrown at the
engineering team can be summarized as follows: How much comfort, style
and digital age bells and whistles can you cram into a car before
compromises in performance and price become unbearable?

The answer they’ve come up is: “well actually, quite a lot!”. The
Black Bullet is the result, a car we describe as a Hyper Grand Tourer.

Does it actually work as intended? That’s not up to us to decide, that’s up to potential buyers."

Drivability
|5/10|

Unfortunately, Horus’ Black Bullet has plenty of room for improvement in drivability. This car achieves a hefty 16.9 PSI of boost at around 2,800 RPM, which is a little bit awkward to deal with in city driving situations. For that amount of boost it’s nowhere near as bad as it could be, but it’s hard to get around just how much of a punch the twin turbos give you when they spool up. Thankfully, the BB-XPV8 that powers the Black Bullet revs all the way up to 7,800 RPM, so there is a pretty hefty powerband to enjoy once the turbos get up to speed. In addition, the Black Bullet’s 7 speed sequential gearbox makes staying on boost no problem at all. Speaking of the BB-XPV8, this thing cranks out 1073 horsepower. That’s A LOT of horsepower, even if it is what we’ve come to expect from a hypercar. There’s no need to worry, though. With 355mms of rubber on the rear, 315mms of rubber on the front, a fairly sticky, but still very much streetable tire compound, every driver assist you could ask for, and an all-wheel drivetrain, wheelspin is present, but not as bad as one would assume when they hear “1073 horsepower.”

After reading all of that, you might be thinking “Well, that sounds pretty impressive, actually. Why only a 5/10?” Well, while the Black Bullet makes handling 1000+ horsepower very doable, and while it does have A LOT of grip (something we will touch on later in the article), if you fail to respect its limits it will bite you…HARD. The Black Bullet’s excellent turn-in abruptly morphs into a horrifying snap of oversteer on the limit at slower speeds. Ideally only professional drivers who, for the most part, know how to treat a car like this would approach the Black Bullet’s limits, but I’m sure we’re all aware of just how many average joes there are out there that love to drive fast in the most inappropriate conditions. There’s no doubt in my mind that the Black Bullet’s top-of-the-line grip will inspire a few drivers to push it so hard that they wrap it around a tree before they’ve even parked it in their garage. Hopefully Horus produces this thing in such few numbers that only one or two fools will get their hands on it. At least the Black Bullet’s stopping distance is among the best in it’s class, coming to a dead stop from 62 miles per hour in under 100 feet. Provided that the back end of the car isn’t pointed in the wrong direction, the brakes should do an excellent job at keeping the driver out of trouble. It’s worth mentioning that at higher speeds the car’s downforce shifts steering behavior towards understeer, although one would have to be going very fast by public road standards to take advantage of this.

Performance and Sportiness
|9/10|

Now that we have all of that talk of snappy oversteer, turbo lag, and massive power figures out of the way, let’s move on to what’s good about this car, and there is a staggering amount of good things about the Black Bullet. This car deals with 0-62 miles per hour in 2.7 seconds. Yes. 2.7 seconds. The Black Bullet could’ve reached 62 miles per hour from a dead stop in the time it took me to type “This car deals with 0-62 mph in 2.7 seconds.” That’s absurd. In a good way, of course. It should come as no surprise that the Black Bullet destroys the quarter mile in a mere 10.02 seconds with a trap speed of 146 miles per hour. Keep the pedal to the floor for long enough and you will eventually top out at 237 miles per hour. This car’s top-tier drivetrain makes sure very little of the 1073 horsepower it produces goes to waste. Horus’ hypercar might not be at the very top of the list with these numbers, but it is VERY close.

Handling
|8/10|

I’ve already hinted at what a phenomenal car the Black Bullet is on the track, but now it’s time to dive into the details on what a beast of a performer the folks at Horus came up with. The Black Bullet pulls 1.23 gs on both the 20 and 250 meter skid pad at 34.8 and 123 miles per hour respectively. All of that grip is easily taken advantage of with this car’s remarkable turn-in at lower speeds. At higher speeds understeer becomes a problem, but there is still plenty of grip available before the front wheels wave the white flag. Our professional driver completed a lap around the Automation Test Track in 2:01.88 after taking some time to familiarize himself with the vehicle. He struggled a bit to find issues with the way the car managed the track. His only major complaints were he disliked how big the Black Bullet was and he felt it could’ve done even better if it didn’t weigh nearly 5,000 pounds. Oh yeah, maybe I forgot to mention that. All of those performance figures we’ve been throwing out? A 4,756 pound car is achieving those. Just let that sink in. Anyways, our driver concluded the interview by remarking he was confident that the Black Bullet was one of the best handling cars that he had driven that wasn’t purely performance focused. That being said, it does fail to keep up with the more track-oriented hypercars of today and customers looking for the absolute pinnacle of road car performance will be left wanting a little more.

Comfort
|9/10|

We’ve established a few times now that the Horus Black Bullet was designed with more than just performance in mind, and now it’s time to talk about the other areas of the Black Bullet that Horus poured plenty of blood, sweat, and tears into. Not only does this car offer some of the best streetable performance money can buy, but it’s also one of the most comfortable rides on four wheels out there. The interior of each and every Horus Black Bullet is assembled by hand using the highest quality materials available to auto manufacturers. While Horus’ BB-XPV8 leaves something to be desired in the smoothness department when compared to luxury vehicles of much lower price tags, with the amount of effort they’ve put into dampening its vibrations you hardly notice it. This car’s V8 is pretty reasonably quiet on the exterior, and on the interior even more so. Don’t worry, you can still hear the exhaust note on the inside, but it isn’t going to rupture your ear drums or even prevent you from holding a conversation at a reasonable volume. The exhaust note is all the exterior noise you will be hearing. Wind and road noise fail to penetrate this car’s extensive noise insulation.

Like nearly every modern supercar the Black Bullet’s suspension is able to adjusted on the fly, and it’s comfort setting is more than up to the task of keeping you cozy for those more leisurely drives; however, we must mention that the Black Bullet’s suspension system makes a few compromises in the name of a sportier feel. On top of even the comfiest setting falling a little short compared to cars leaning more towards the GT spectrum, Horus opted for a pushrod suspension configuration on the rear wheels, which may struggle a tad to be as smooth as some multilink set ups. There are smoother suspensions out there for the pickiest of luxury car consumers, but this car is designed to strike a balance between sportiness and comfort, thus the shortcomings in certain areas when compared to more specialized vehicles. If Horus offered a smoother, naturally aspirated engine with this car I am fairly confident it would end up as one of the most, if not THE most, streetable hypercar on the market today. You can easily daily this car or take it on long tours as long as you don’t need too much cargo space.

Interior Quality
|10/10|

While the Black Bullet’s V8 might not be the smoothest, and it’s suspension might fall short when compared to pure luxury vehicles, its difficult to find words that describe the craftsmanship on display inside of a Horus Black Bullet. This is an incredibly well put together car inside the cabin. The sound system is sure impress even the snobbiest of audiophiles, and the infotainment system is incredibly easy-to-use and does its job remarkably quickly. The most frequently accessed items, such as suspension adjustments, are at most two taps away. The car’s voice recognition rarely fails to interpret a command correctly as well. The seats are highly, and very precisely, adjustable in every way you could want them to be and they provide more support than anyone could ask for. The car’s climate control works remarkly well and is actually quite precise according to our measurements. Everything from the dash, to the seats, to the center console, the handles, every last dial and switch, every single part of this car’s interior feels rock solid and incredibly well-made. Nothing in here shows any signs of compromise. NOTHING.

Safety
|9/10|

After going into detail on just how wonderful the inside of this car is, it pains me to consider that anyone might crash one of these masterpieces. However, I did spend a few sentences earlier discussing just how dangerous the Black Bullet can be at the limit, and as much as it hurts to admit this there is a pretty strong chance that someone will put one of these in a tree if enough of them are produced. So, how does this car handle smacking into a tree? It handles it very well. Remarkably well. It’s difficult to find a safer car out there, in fact. Some of the best crash safety technology available is incorporated into the Black Bullet’s design, and its aluminum monocoque and body panels can take quite a beating on their own.

Cost
|8/10|

I’m going to throw out a number here, and it’s going to be what 99% of people would consider ludicrously expensive. You have to keep in mind what you are getting when you buy a car like this to understand why this car got such a good score in this category despite the crazy price tag. This car is very fast, not the fastest, but it is VERY fast. On top of being very fast it’s also one of the most luxurious vehicles on the market. Making a car fast can get pretty expensive, making a car cozy can get quite expensive as well, but making a car both fast and cozy? That’s going to require A LOT of resources, which is why this car retails for around $667,584. This car is competing with the likes of 800k, 900k, and 1 million dollar cars, though. It’s on the cheaper side for a bonkers hypercar as crazy as that seems. The Black Bullet also runs on Premium fuel, which is the lowest octane available in some countries. While it doesn’t get the best gas mileage…ok, by anything other than hypercar standards it gets abhorrent gas mileage, 13.1 mpg combined for those of you wondering, the lower octane, cheaper fuel will make things a little easier on your wallet. Gas mileage could stand to be better, though, and after a certain retail price diminishing returns begin to rear their ugly head. You’re paying for marginal increases past a certain point, but those marginal increases matter a whole lot to certain customers; however, that doesn’t stop a few cheaper cars from being comparable to the Black Bullet in plenty of folks’ eyes. It’s still quite a bargain for what it is, so don’t fret over that statement too much.

Reliability
|6/10|

This score probably doesn’t come as a surprise to many of you. With all of these limits being pushed it’s likely that modern tech isn’t quite up to the task of handling everything the Horus Black Bullet can ask of it. Dual overhead cams, twin turbos, complex VVL and VVT systems all being revved to the moon, it’s not really that much of a surprise that something wants to give. This car isn’t threatening to fall apart from someone looking at it, honestly it’s about on par with many sports cars, but keep in touch with your Horus dealer and make sure you have enough cash to cover repair costs when you buy this thing.

Aesthetics
[No Score for this]

Now, the Black Bullet GT-L isn’t a bad looking car by any means, but it may be a little on the plain side compared to other cars in its class. Instead of having the shouty, futuristic, concept car look of many other hypercars it opts for a simpler, understated appearance like that of many luxury cars. The front end of the car, with its massive grill and angular headlights, is the most aggressive and sporty slice of the exterior. The rear of the car, with its sleek, subtle, minimalist fixtures fits the luxury car theme perfectly, or at least it would if it wasn’t for that massive wing. The use of chrome on this car is done quite nicely, makes it look pretty without blinding you on sunny days. I’d say it’s a pretty good looking car, just maybe not flashy enough for potential buyers looking for that distinct hypercar look that screams “I cost 1 million dollars.”

Overall
|8/10|

The Horus Black Bullet is among the best road cars of today. While it sports one of the most refined and well crafted interiors of the modern era, its performance leaves just a little bit to be desired for a car of its caliber. Harnessing that performance can also prove to be a little trickier and dangerous than we would like. The Black Bullet may also fall short by a small margin in some areas due to the compromises Horus made in order to make the car as versatile as they could. If you want a better example of performance and luxury blending harmoniously to create one of the most stunning machines to grace public roads, you’d best be prepared to look very hard and cough up a lot of money because it’s going to be hard to find a car that does it better than the Horus Black Bullet GT-L.

3 Likes

This review, I like it…

I do also think that the car is on the bland side, but I guess the company used almost all the budget in the interior and performance engineers and not in designers :grin:

By the way, I don’t recall seeing an Horus company thread, whose is it?

1 Like

The submitters name is Horus, no company name was provided, im assuming Horus is also the company name.

Whoa. This was… one hell of an in-depth, well written one. Thank you.

This is it. This is as far as my humble skills could take me down the cost-weight-complexity spiral before physics collapse into a singularity.

Yeah, the drivability was very hard to restrain while keeping performance-related figures intact in a car this heavy. The AWD system is actually front-biased, otherwise this thing is truly a serial killer. Mileage was also sacrificed to long forsaken gods somewhere along the way, this car would do 10mpg if it weren’t for active cooling. I’m still quite pleased with it though.

Here’s another round of applause for the review team. There’s some top quality reviewing going on in this thread and I’ll definitely be keeping an eye.

1 Like

Yo USDMFTW , have you received my car and does it working? and nice review though! So depth and nice review.

Thanks for the praise!

Another hypercar challenge note, first part WILL be released friday evening, every thing has been sorted out and fixed.

Hello, and welcome to the first part of the hypercar challenge. After the long wait, I will finally introduce the 3 cars that were sent to us for this comparison. Thank you to those 3 below who took the time to build and submit their hypercar, and adhere to the rules.

HYPER CAR 1

*As a side note, not one error or missing mod, huzzzzzahhh.

Quick Stats: KHT Eau Rouge Rennsport by Squidhead
Drivetrain Layout: Mid Longitudinal Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 7 Liter Twin Turbo Crossplane DOHC V8
Horsepower: 1001 @ 7300 rpms
Torque : 754 ft-lbs @ 6300 rpms
Top Speed : 251 Mph
Transmission : 6 Speed Manual
Weight : 2495
Mpg(US) : 16.1
Price: 488477

Quick Stats: Lilith AWD by Strop
Drivetrain Layout: Mid Transverse All Wheel Drive
Engine: 4.4 Liter Twin Turbo Flatplane DOHC V8
Horsepower: 1000 @ 8900 rpms
Torque : 630 ft-lbs @ 7100 rpms
Top Speed : 238.2 mph
Transmission : 7 Speed Dual Clutch
Weight : 2638
Mpg(US) : 18.5
Price: 499636

Quick Stats: Miller 434 MS-8 by stickmaster62
Drivetrain Layout: Mid Longitudinal
Engine: 7.1 Liter Twin Turbo Crossplane MOHV V8
Horsepower: 932 @ 6600 rpms
Torque : 793 ft-lbs @ 793
Top Speed : 234.3 mph
Transmission : 6 Speed Manual
Weight : 3516
Mpg(US) : 14.7
Price: 332446

Aesthetics
|No Score for this|
KHT Eau Rouge Rennsport:
Our reviewers first went to this car, thanks to its brilliant bright white paint. All of our reviewers agreed that the front was very odd, as the headlights were just small, tiny strips surrounded by a bunch of fixtures. Is it different and crazy and belongs on a hypercar? Yes but, did we like it, not really. We did like the rest of the car though, save for the rims, that look like generic mickey thompson drag racing rims. We like the functional side vents right in front of the rear wheels, and the well placed turn signals on the mirrors. Our favorite part of the car is the rear. Its very aggressive and functional, with 2 large U shaped aggressive lights and quad exhaust, with a nice spoiler on top. The best looking rear on a car we have ever reviewed.

Lillith AWD:
Our reviewers were immediately hit with a Ferrari vibe, thanks to the red color and general body shape. Once again we found the front to be 110% hypercar. Featuring big functional vents that give the car a bugeye look. Like the other cars it features nicely placed side vents before the rear wheels. The rear end is very busy, im assuming the designers were told to go HAM. The rear features massive functional vents, and triple exhaust in the center of the rear. We overall dont like it, it looks sad, but its definitely hypercar. We like the 6 spoke rims.

Miller 434 MS-8:
Compared to the other 2 cars, this car features a much, much more conservative look. The front is nice, simple, functional and aggressive. The side is just plain jane, nothing but chrome door handles can be found, we would like to see something, vents look great and provide the engine with functional cooling. Same story with the rear, very conservative, just a simple grille, twin exhaust and a small rear diffuser. Out of these 3, its the least hypercar looking, but may attract buyers that want a conservative, decent looking car.

Winner: KHT Eau Rouge Rennsport
This car is definitely the best looking out of the 3. We wish the front had larger headlights. But the overall shape of the car, and the rear (one of reviewers may or may not have had to change pants) propelled this car to victory here.

For clarification, this section does have a winner, but does not affect the overall score in anyway, looks are subjective.

Driveability and performance coming on sunday!

4 Likes

I have mixed feelings about the comments on Lilith, but think that’s a reflection on the fact the looks are going to polarise quite a bit, thus reviewer verdicts are also going to be mixed. Then again this is coming from somebody who likes to push the envelope well past the limits of sensible taste, so this should be welcomed.

It’s good to see that these cars all used different bodies. Performance wise, I’m at the greatest disadvantage, as my body is the oldest, is the worst aerodynamically, and couldn’t fit a large engine, forcing me to push the limits further than I would have liked and compromised on reliability. I will be surprised if my car does better than Squidhead’s on the track despite being AWD.

1 Like

Yea, i was really pleased with the variance, in not just the bodies, but some other things as well, just a shame that only 3 cars made it out of 5 spots that were reserved.

Full disclosure, with the budget for this build was such an astonomical figure i’ve went very much overboard with the sliders on aero, gearbox and tires. If you do beat this without sliders - you are god and I bow down to you, but I feel that I’m at an unfair advantage with this, should’ve went for more “what would my company build” rather than “what can I squeeze into this budget” :\ I will be doing a non-rennsport version for this without the sliders and with a proper interior, so that’s when the performance will get a huge hit.

Also yeah, looks are… well they’re looks and we all try to find out design language and get to experiment with it a lot, so naturally when experiments go very far the looks going to be polarizing. Also we all got different amount of exhaust pipes :smiley: And I also expected 5 cars to be in this.

1 Like

Yea, i wanted 5 cars, but one just didnt submit anything and the other didnt comply with the cost restriction. Lets just say the price of it was literally a multiple of the limit.

The reason for high cost limit was so people WOULD use quality sliders, a hypercar is suppose to contain the best tech/best anything at the time. It also allows people to build a car how they want.

1 Like

Definitely not God here, I think I have +11 on gearbox +14 on aero and +9 on tyres? Could even be 11 on tyres. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong USDMFTW. I also had to make the factory slightly larger than I intended, but this is without us having a fix on what tech pool our companies really ought to have already.

Also I insisted on about 100% margin. Company won’t survive otherwise. Realistically I doubt Lilith would make it to production, the body design would actually take too long compared to my other comparatively similar models.

1 Like

Huh! We’re a lot closer on this than I thought then. I had a 100% markup aswell (have on pretty much every car I build for KHT), but then something happened to the factory settings and long story short I think I’m at about 95% markup instead. And yeah, as I said in my thread this car requires a team of engineers in a closed off wing of the factory working constantly to produce 4 cars a year, since all the quality sliders. It’s not a viable solution to making money for the company, more like “FINE, stop asking about Diabolica pricetag, have this instead!” :smiley:

Yep, that’s pretty much the situation I’ve got evolving over on my company: after 2015 we knew we needed a much higher volume production line to keep the funds going. The fact the racing program is going well (better than expected, exactly as hoped), would facilitate the expansion. But essentially GG would be starting to produce a cheaper line of car with far less limited production (thousands of units, not two dozen), and that’s the “eco hypercar” line I’ve been banging on about for a while. I would have considered submitting Ouroboros (much more likely to actually be built) to this but that car’s priced at well sub-300k, so wouldn’t have been suited to this challenge quite as much.

On the topic of profitability, real companies almost always lose money on hypercars. Thats why you sell mundane city cars then have a seperate division for supers/hypers.

Or, be like me and be too lazy to make an actual company with a story, and just make whatever car i feel like at the time and post it :slight_smile:

Once again, you’ve proven to be a great reviewer.

In regards to the 434 side profile, I wanted the 434 to stand out and have a clean side profile for aerodynamic purposes. Aesthetically my plan didn’t work out obviously.

What about my car?

I gave you a chance to correct the price, but you didnt correct it. The cost limit was 500,000 after completing factory tabs and after your selected profit margin. Your “revised file” had an estimated cost of 549,100 dollars, and you provided no second screenshot to prove that your factory settings somehow lowered the cost to 500,000 or below.

Refering to post 110, aswell as the original post(before i removed it yesterday after the first part was released).

The beta has indeed been released and is now stable.
Full details for the hypercar challenge below, for those 5 who already reserved their spots.

MY 2017
MAX COST: 500000 After you have selected all factory options, still in the same Market tab as before. This limit INCLUDES your added % cost to the car.

Monocoque Chassis
Up to Super 93.1 AKI unleaded fuel only

Anything else goes, this is a hypercar challenge. So for examples, the Aventador, MP4-12C, Ferrari Enzo, 599 GTO

Your car must be submitted, working and adhere by the rules, by the end of Sunday, April 24th.

Any, questions comments before i lock these rules in place?

wat. I changed it to something like $491 000. :neutral_face:

But the estimated price is not what the cost limit is set for in for this challenge anyways