Crowd sourced detailing guides

gods work

Custom Panel Gaps
@2021 CorsicaUnknown. Do not steal.

That is all.

37 Likes

Very small, very useful. Nice, I’ll probably use it a lot.

5 Likes

I was making this with 3d plastics bars all this time, and this simple trick does the work 10x better :sob:

HOW TO PLACE PUSHBUTTON DOOR HANDLES CORRECTLY

Pushbutton door handles were the most common type of handles from the early 50s to the early 70s, and even though they went out of fashion some cars used them well into the 90s, as well as some more recent retro cars like the Chrysler PT Cruiser. So, chances are that you are going to use them sooner or later, at least if your brand has a lore that harks back to the 70s or earlier. And I have seen one thing that many people are doing wrong when putting them on.

bild

Here, we have three examples of cars using them. Do you notice one thing they do have in common? Yes, the pushbuttons on all of them are facing towards the rear, and there is a good reason behind that too.

But what about this Lincoln then? The pushbuttons on the rear door handles are facing towards the front, and ONLY in the rear, why? When they had the chance to put on the handles symmetrical and nice, it would have looked better and made more sense, right?

Truth is, pushbutton door handles are ALWAYS mounted with the pushbutton in the opposite direction from the hinges. Most cars have doors that is hinged up front, and that means that the pushbuttons on the door handles are facing towards the rear. But when the doors are rear hinged (“suicide” doors), like the rear doors of that Lincoln, the pushbuttons are facing towards the front.

The reason for that is very simple. Lets say that the car have front hinged doors, like most cars have. Then the natural thing will be to open the left door with your left hand, and the right door with your right hand, because you then will open the door away from you instead of towards you. And, since you only have one thumb, that means that the pushbutton has to be placed in the spot where your thumb will be. All other placements will be ergonomically awkward.

It is a small detail that is easy to forget (especially if one rarely gets into a car with pushbutton handles, which are getting more and more rare), but that breaks the realism, and since I have seen this being done wrong on more than one Automation car, I thought that an advice could be helpful.

11 Likes

This post may or may not be related to the weird design choices made by MTA during the early years lol.
Great guide to such a simple thing that is a door handle

No, absolutely not your fault, it was only that I saw multiple examples when browsing through the site today, since your example was quite fresh I mentioned it to you because you probably still had the chance to fix it. After that, I thought that why not put that little tip in here.

1 Like

Crypt’s guide to…
Opaque interior materials!

We’ve all been there. You are making a complex 3D interior, but the windows and soft top are all see-through, and it messes with the aesthetics. Well, I have a solution!

Step one: Place a patchwork mesh fixture on your window/softtop

Step Two: Drag the depth slider until it just “pops” out of existence.

Step three: You now have a fixture visible from the inside, which will mostly follow the contours of your window/windshield/roof. Change it to a suitable glass material.

This technique can be used for any parts of the body which are transparent from inside but not outside. It is important not to scale the depth too much - this will make the patches float in midair and be visible outside your vehicle. -0.01 is the ideal, and you can just type this in on the gizmo too. Particularly curved sections of windows may require multiple fixtures or some tweaking to look good, but this is an improvement over having nothing at all.

7 Likes

Did you knew that on the old days of NFSU and U2, the cars had a flat mesh that started at the base of the windows with only the top of the seats and the steering wheel modeled, and with dark windows and environment, it was really hard to notice?

Did you knew you can do the same in 3 min. tops on cars you’ll not add a full interior?

Did you knew it will look better than black windows with a low photo angle and darkened windows?

Now you know.

18 Likes

Virtual version of what is done in many toy cars. I might do it on the few cars i will crank out before the update. Making full interiors in something that will be wiped out soon feels pointless.

5 Likes

What’s getting wiped out? :grimacing:

The next update will make all existing cars incompatible with the current version. Then again, it could be the perfect opportunity for you to remake them, but with an even greater level of detail than previously.

2 Likes

That SUCKS!!! I’ve got some new designs brewing RIGHT NOW lol.

But, I’m finally starting to understand how fixtures can lap over each other and what-not, and how to use PATCH which for me were HUGE breakthroughs.

Still can’t figure out how to erase original body lines or if that’s even possible :thinking:.

I seem to remember (but being of an old age it could have been my squirrel…erm imagination!!) that the next update will be the last time that the cars will be wiped.

2 Likes

That’s what I’ve heard too.

Same. Stopped putting actual effort on my cars as soon as the announcement came out. Just making simple stuff from now on.

4 Likes

original idea by secrane, i just move this to the forum

13 Likes

Nice idea!

This is how to put good looking headlights on fussy bodies!

Step 1:

Just a normal face.

You first must delet headlight panels themselves.

Oh no there’s a hole.

Step 2:

3d headlights!

Put the headlights in like so-

but now there’s clipping and other problems. Nooo!

Step 2

Ugh messy.

Here’s our problem, so let’s fix it! Morph the fixture to cover everything so there are no mysterious gaps

We could probably move it forward to end the weird flushing of the front chin, but it’s okay here.

Step 3

Changing fixture material to match bodycolor fixes most things, but not everything. What if you still think this is too messy, or want chrome bezels? Next you must make all other fixture materials transparent-

Step 4
Now you must make some choices: what do you want your headlight to look like? The 402/CFS is a 60s german 911 ripoff sportscar, so I want a classic look.

Now 3d in some headlights (I will show how to do this with modern-looking LEDs later this week). Put them in the holes, configure how you want, and BOOM-headlights.

If you want, you can go to 2d if the other work was a bit to messy-

Hope this was helpful!

9 Likes

aight imma use all this stuff to design a modern minivan

2 Likes