CSR 85 - A Wise Investment

Look on the bright side,

Yours was received negatively, mine was just thrown into the fire without second thought.

Firstly, put yourself in the mindset and location of the purchasers. This is an eccentric, old, multi-millionaire in his mansion flicking through brochures for cars he is looking to spend a lot of money on. He isn’t going to hold back when it comes to the critiques, something I think most people will have noticed. There is no real reason to get annoyed over this.

If you require further feedback, something I would encourage anybody to do if they desire, please feel free to drop me a PM and I will tell you why the car was received the way it was rather than clutter up the thread with feedback.

On another note, I should have the second round ready in a few hours, with results shortly after.

11 Likes

you put thought in, but it wasn’t the right kind of thought.

the body you used is very outdated, the fixture placement is acceptable, but rather bland, and the fixtures are a little mismatched (like the bullet mirrors with the LED light clusters isn’t a good look)

I’m not rly annoyed I just thought it was a bit better

Round 2: Test Drives

Early morning, 17th April 2007
Virginia Water, Surrey, UK

The day had arrived where Lawrence & Cassandra set off to go and test the twelve vehicles that had decided were worth considering. This was going to be a massive task, seeing and testing so many vehicles would surely lead to complete confusion, therefore they decided to take a tick sheet and scoring sheet with them to determine which one filled the most boxes and got the highest overall score.

Prior to setting off, Lawrence & Cassandra enjoyed a luscious breakfast, cooked by their personal chef, which came accompanied by the all-important cups of warming tea. Lawrence downed the lot at considerable pace, eager to make a move and try and squeeze all twelve possibilities in before the end of the day. Cassandra, meanwhile, took her time as she seemingly couldn’t care less.

Getting anxious, Lawrence hurries Cassandra to the point of vexing her, leading her to not want to accompany Lawrence to the dealerships, she simply wasn’t interested anyway. Discontented, Lawrence set off in the beloved Lexus LS, willing to trade the car in to the dealer who offered them the best price, not the final product. “At the end of the day, the more money you save the more you have to invest!”

@conan - Cordia Spada 54 Break Breadvan

First impressions
“Upon seeing the vehicle in person at the dealership, the visual aspect continues to be a considerable letdown as it rather lacks anything that really stands out. Again, it does have a quirkiness due to the nature of the design and does offer a sense of expensiveness. The interior of the vehicle is impressive, a marvellous blend of high-quality and exotic materials built to an exceptionally good standard. Let’s find out what the V10 can do!”

Test drive
“Performance is simply excellent, the turbocharged V10 packs a serious punch upon application of the throttle. I could never visualise myself struggling to overtake these lowly peasants in their inferior vehicles blocking my path! Road handling is sufficient, if not exceptional, and never feels unsettling or dangerous. Ride comfort is sufficient once more, yet I believe there will be significantly more comfortable offerings. Driving this vehicle is a pleasure, even more so is the cabin that I am nestled within. I do have a major concern, it appears the brakes have a tendency to fade significantly upon heavy or continued application, I certainly do not want to go to stop one day and not be able to! Rather disappointing to be truthful.”

Lawrence leaves the dealership somewhat satisfied with the vehicle, but the fading brakes leave him concerned.

@Private_Miros - Deimos Windsor V8

First impressions
“Initial feedback isn’t as positive as the previous vehicle upon setting my eyes upon it. Externally I have no issues, they are very similar products in terms of the nature of the design and the impression they leave, albeit via different methods. Inside, however, this simply does not leave the same mark the Breadvan left. Interior materials are far from inexpensive, the other simply offered something special. It is of sufficient standard, I would like to conduct a test drive!”

Test drive
“Having lost two cylinders over the previous proposal I feel somewhat short-changed. Admittedly, this five-and-a-half litre, turbocharged V8 still packs a sufficient punch, albeit not to the same standard as before. This vehicle truly does feel like an ever so slightly inferior product to the last. Again, by no means is it a terrible vehicle, I simply desire more. With this being said, road handling is close to identical, and the suspensions feels marginally more supple, making this a very similar driving experience. A further positive note is the brakes don’t appear to suffer from the same misfortune as the previous vehicle. So, this is like before but exempt of the niggling and concerning issue of fade. Impressive!”

Lawrence exits the dealership slightly more satisfied than before, although desiring that the Windsor was powered and felt like the Breadvan.

@yangx2 - Honghu 88888888

First impressions
“Oh for heaven’s sake, why on Earth have I decided to put myself through such unbearable torture. In person it looks considerably more ghastly than the imagery within the propaganda, I mean brochure. That being said, the brochure was propaganda, or at least it seemed. I do not like this. Internally it appears to equip an upmarket construction with classy materials and robust quality. The technology is certainly considerably further behind than I would desire, it simply is not enough. Bearing it all, I simply despise this proposal and would not consider even moving this vehicle across the forecourt, let alone conduct a complete test drive. Begone, your communist ideology is not required!”

A test drive was not conducted and Lawrence left the dealership.

@NiuYorqCiti - DAAG FS60i

First impressions
“Normality has been restored, I can see a vehicle of realistic proportions that does not have any intent of diverting my ideologies towards lunacy. This dag… Darg? Doug? Give me some time, I am sure I will obtain a correct grasp on the pronunciation eventually. This vehicle offers clean lines, modern cues and an intriguing posterior to add some uniqueness. Internally I could not fault it whatsoever, the quality and utilised materials appear to be on par with the Breadvan, allowing for a certain special element. This certainly does appear promising, a test drive simply must be conducted!”

Test drive
“I believe I may have found the one! Clean yet unique design, impressive interior materials and construction, and incredible performance and road-going to boot! The powerplant is admirable, a large twelve-cylinder engine with copious thrust and a sweet bellow upon application of the accelerator, yet subdued when cruising. Road handling is remarkable, the grip levels are seemingly limitless although I’d imagine this certainly would not be the true case. Ride comfort does not appear to have been compromised. I simply cannot fault this offering, this is certainly up for consideration!”

Lawrence left the dealership beaming, ready to see if anything reaches the same benchmark.

@MasterDoggo - Factor L-48

First impressions
“Quite the downer one is experiencing since testing that previous marvel and now finding myself before this rather uninspiring offering. I do not find it a problem, but this vehicle really does not have the presence I was intending on discovering. Internally, the materials and construction are of an elevated standard, yet I find myself thinking back to the DAAG and noticing that it does not quite give off that special element that I lust for. I’m not convinced, yet I will still go ahead with the driving evaluation.”

Test drive
“Absolutely not. The ride comfort is exceptionally sub-par for this category and the sheer terminal understeer even when distant from the limit is massively disappointing. Disgraceful!”

Considerably disappointed, Lawrence leaves the dealership.

@goblin95 - Kasai Gran Tenno AWD

First impressions
“Exceptionally eye-catching and ostentatious! Remarkably outstanding, just as I desired. This product is certainly an immense machine. In this sense I simply shall not critique, I do have concerns over the maneuverability of such a giant creation. Interior materials are correct but far from impressive, the same applies to the physical quality and construction, the available technology is extensive. Let us discover whether the dimensions would become a hindrance.”

Test drive
“I suspected that the sheer proportions of this proposal would come as an impediment to maneuverability. As a result, the rather reduced four-litre turbo six-cylinder does have a considerable job to shift quite this immense creation. I would not say that this vehicle is by any stretch of the imagination a car of inferior performance, perhaps not enough for my personal requirements. Considering the size, the cornering abilities are exceptional, yet in comparison to a more typical offering it is notably inferior. Ride comfort is rather impressive but not of a sufficient standard. I must refuse.”

After spending an age trying to park the car, Lawrence leaves the dealership.

@Chickenbiscuit - LMC Megalodon GT

First impressions
“If there were one proposal I would take just through imagery and statistics on paper, this certainly would be the correct vehicle. The design is impressive and blends ostentatiousness and modernity absolutely seamlessly. With great adoration comes high expectations, I find the interior of the vehicle to be of equal specification. The materials are sublime, varying multiple kinds of classy and exotic materials that again works superbly and seamlessly. The construction is of equal standard. I really cannot fault this vehicle, time to fire up the monster of an engine!”

Test drive
“I’m… I’m… distraught. I was so perilously close to almost having a catastrophic incident pulling onto the Staines Bypass when the car simply decided to perform a near pirouette! The snap oversteer in this vehicle at higher velocities is truly disturbing, I cannot be purchasing a vehicle that only intends to kill me, and it disheartens me outrageously that I car adore so much doesn’t behave correctly. It has to go.”

Extremely disappointed and disheartened, Lawrence slowly exited the dealership.

@Rk38 & @NormanVauxhall - Æxelia Krypton 5.3 Auto

First impressions
“The Æxelia Krypton has such an effortless and timeless design that oozes class and luxury. I simply admire the detailing and efforts the manufacturer has gone to in order to create this marvel of a product. It is subdued yet offers a perfect image of wealth. Adorable! Internally, it is not quite at the same specification in design and effort. Admittedly, this is quite a wonderful place to find yourself, but the materials don’t appear to be quite as marvellous as some previous offerings. Let’s conduct a test drive.”

Test drive
“I am in no doubt that this is most likely the nicest luxury four-door to drive out there. It simply embodies the driving experience of the most luxurious of vehicles effortlessly, totally isolating myself from the outside world. The ride comfort is simply sublime, nothing has managed to get even remotely close. Handling is nothing more than acceptable, the same applies to performance, but I simply feel so important driving this vehicle. Wonderful, truly wonderful!

Beaming, Lawrence considers the Krypton and exited the dealership.

@JohnWaldock - JHW Blanchimont GTS

First impressions
“I come adorning the signature spectacles that this car appears to amusingly resemble, hahaha. Ok, I shall stop. I have seen countless vehicles now, the design was of interest before and it remains the same at this current moment in time. The interior is of sufficient standard, leather here, leather there and technology is advanced. Let’s drive!”

Test drive
“Gasp! Fiddlesticks! The performance from this vehicle is simply astonishing, I can’t believe a vehicle of this luxury could physically shift with such vigor. Unfortunately, this is where the positives end, the ride comfort is notably inferior to numerous vehicles I have previously tested and this suffers terribly from understeer nearing the limit, albeit very capable in cornering. Not for me!”

Lawrence rapidly leaves the dealership to move on to the next.

@Ezdmn - Mondo EB10 Boss

First impressions
“The face on this beast certainly shall not be forgotten in a hurry. In all honesty, now I have seen this offering in the flesh I am almost concerned that this vehicle is simply too much. Internally, the vehicle offers an admirable blend of expensive materials and great construction, although marginally more advanced technology would be appreciated if not necessary.”

Test drive
“A beast this is, but a manageable on at that! There really are no drawbacks, even considering this has an elevated driving position and increased weight. The performance is substantial, the ride is supple and road handling is surprisingly effective. I believe this vehicle will have to be considered as an option!”

Unexpectedly, Lawrence informs the dealer of his interest and leaves.

@titleguy1 - Rennen Valhalla Prestige 4.8 S4

First impressions
“Firstly, the professionalism in this dealership is exceptional but I will tell you instantly what is not of sufficient standard. I simply will not own a vehicle with this inferior technology, the test drive is cancelled.”

No test drive was conducted, Lawrence moved on to the final vehicle.

@GROOV3ST3R - ELECTI Bengali Elite+

First impressions
“I have a certain something for this vehicle. Numerous previous off-roaders have seemingly overdone the balance of presence and design, yet this manages to pull it off rather effortlessly. You could say I have a rather soft spot for this product. Internally, the product has a wonderful blend of luxury and design as well yet the technology could be somewhat more advanced, yet acceptable. I believe a test drive is necessary!”

Test drive
“My yacht is a wonderful yacht, yet this car is also a wonderful yacht. It offers a similar amount of road handling as well, I really feel as if I am piloting a large boat. Performance is glorious and comfort is exceptional, the handling is a killer. I can’t go for this.”

Lawrence leaves the final dealership.

Lawrence returns to his humble abode in Virginia Water to find Cassandra enjoying a further tea and numerous digestives. Another cup lies adjacent waiting to be claimed by Lawrence, something he desired even more than purchasing a car in this moment. A brief discussion left the decision down to just a handful of cars:

Congratulations to the final four, anyone of you could have a sale!

As the competition requests, fifth place can be confirmed as @conan with the Cordia Spada 54 Break Breadvan. Better brakes would’ve made it a serious contender!

20 Likes

easy bin bois :clap:

It seems that having 8 of 8s doesn’t actually bring you prosperity.

It’s back to the drawing board for this one :stuck_out_tongue: I’m happy I got this far anyway.

Congrats to the finalists!

@Cheeseman can you give me some pointers as to how far off it was? I haven’t tuned an SUV before.

Final Round: The Investment

Mid-morning, 18th April 2007
Virginia Water, Surrey, UK

After what seemed like an endless night, Lawrence spent the entirety simply thinking everything over endlessly to work out if there was a simple conclusion. His mind cast back to the four cars he enjoyed, but also to a number of others that he so dearly loved but ended up avoiding due to such easily preventable things from the manufacturers. The continued feeling of utter disappointment kept flooding to his mind, how he so deeply desired vehicles he just couldn’t bring himself to accept.

Breakfast was not the same, the food seemed entirely flavourless, the tea seemed like the worst he had ever tasted. Nothing seemed right, probably due to the completely restless night and the sheer amount of energy that was put into this entire search seemed to have been for nothing.

Reality hits, he will simply have to forget about what he felt was going to be the correct vehicle and set his mind on to what was now going to be the right choice. This lead to two cars being dropped instantly, they didn’t live up to what this new ideal image was going to be:

First is the Deimos Windsor V8 - @Private_Miros Well done, 4th place

“This is a truly remarkable car, but it is not a car that leaves a mark. I found myself longing for the glorious Breadvan the moment I set into the dealership. This truly is an inferior offering to it, yet I could not face owning that vehicle due to the fading brakes. As a result, this shall not be the one.”

Second is the Mondo EB10 Boss - @Ezdmn Bronze medal for you, 3rd place

“There is a limit as to what level of individuality and vulgarity I can accept within a design, as I feel this has simply overstepped the line. The other two offerings also feel like far superior products in drive and design, therefore meaning this offering must be removed from consideration.”

This left just two vehicles, the Æxelia and the DAAG. This left Lawrence with a seemingly impossible dilemma as to what he really wanted.

“Darling Cassandra, I require your assistance to make a well judged decision between the two remaining possibilities. Both of these products are exceptional but offer an entirely different experience. Could it be the gem that is the Æxelia, a superb luxury vehicle that offers sublime?”

“Ok. The alternative?”

“Or should it be the DAAG, a competent luxury sports vehicle with hand-crafted interior, outrageous performance and handling capabilities, that doesn’t match the impeccable design and isolation from the outside world the other option manages so superbly?”

“Which feels special?”

“The Æxelia offers a feeling of superiority no other vehicle has managed, whereas the DAAG is luxurious yet so effortlessly quick. I cannot call this.”

“This has not given me the answer to my question. One of these vehicles surely must make you feel some way, one of these simply has to be special in more ways than the other.”

“You are correct, the more I turn the cogs in my mind, the more I realise that one proposal would allow for more opportunities to create a great smile on my face. Come on now, finish your tea, we are going to make the best kind of investment.”

“And what is that exactly?”

“A personal one.”

The keys were obtained from the salesperson, the hand over seemed to take an eternity. At last, they were in the hands of Lawrence, a man who so dearly desired to fire up the engine and set off with the largest smile on his face. A quick external examination confirmed the personalised number plate had been installed, “LC07 WHL”, meaning “Lawrence & Cassandra, 2007, Whitehall”. He entered the vehicle and took a moment to take in the surroundings, a purely exceptional piece of craftsmanship that he could so easily reach a state of pure bliss. The engine is turned on and revved ever so marginally and Lawrence set off. Upon leaving the dealership, he took a quick glance in his rear-view mirror and snickered. “DAAG eh? Who would have believed for one moment I would have ended up with a car from a manufacturer my peers would only laugh at upon hearing the pronunciation. What a glorious machine.”

Congratulations @NiuYorqCiti, you are the winner of this round of the CSR

A remarkable product, fantastic performance, effortless comfort, great handling, exceptional drivability, sublime interior, the ultimate technology. The package has it all. Lawrence is a very happy man with his purchase.

Also, fair work from both @Rk38 and @NormanVauxhall on the stunning Æxelia, a masterpiece in design and the ultimate luxury sedan, but ultimately didn’t quite offer the excitement of the DAAG. This was an exceptionally difficult choice to make. You take away the silver medal, 2nd place!

Today…

Late afternoon, 14th October 2018
Croydon, South London, UK

“Financial crisis. It still is beyond my belief how so many things could have gone so terribly wrong. My entire life I had known for decades was turned completely upside-down.”

With the arrival of the financial crisis in 2007/8, nearly all of Lawrence’s huge investments ending up costing him far more than he could possibly lose, ending him up in a true predicament. Nearly everything he knew and loved was lost for what seemed to be the rest of his life. The lifestyle, gone. The massive house, gone. Sadly, the DAAG he so dearly adored, gone.

Lawrence ended up moving to Croydon where his “scum” of a brother resided ever since leaving home at 18 years of age. For a while, Lawrence actually lived with his brother. Cassandra, sadly, passed away shortly after from a brief battle with lung cancer. Shortly after, Lawrence suffered a similar fate due to his excessive smoking, but the cancer was far less aggressive and he survived.

With the financial situation improving and Lawrence still being the wise investor, things quickly turned far brighter for him, and he started making some further income. At last, he was able to afford his own property again, although he remained in Croydon where he had almost come to admire as it had a certain ability to make a millionaire snob a far more humble and generous man.

Now in 2018, Lawrence was starting to rebuild the life he had step by step. A listing appeared online for a second-hand DAAG for sale, causing an unstoppable wave of emotion to run through Lawrence. Right there before him was a DAAG FS60i with the number plate “LC07 WHL”. Lawrence broke down into tears, he realised life was finally back and that this was something that couldn’t be missed.

“Thank you. Cassandra, I knew you would never give up on me. Thank you. Now, we must go on one more drive together, even though it will be with you in spirit”.

Lawrence purchased his old DAAG FS60i, a start of the life he believed had come to an end.

Thank you all for participating, I have thoroughly enjoyed hosting this round and hope there are many more to come!

One further note - I have been informed by PM that @NiuYorqCiti, our winner, will not be able to host the next round of the CSR, meaning if both @Rk38 and/or @NormanVauxhall are up for it they can host!

27 Likes

Thanks for the well organised CSR, @Cheeseman, with some good story behind it as well with a twist at the end, and well deserved victory for the top three.

My fourth place was more than I’d bargained for with my submission, although it certainly ticked the boxes and was (in Beam, to me) a fun car to drive, the design of some other submissions was far superior in my view.

7 Likes

You have done an excellent job hosting this round. Everything about it made it worthwhile for me, although I didn’t get the result I was hoping for - and for good reason; I didn’t put enough effort into its design as the client wanted.

Anyway, this was a convincing win for NiuYorqCiti - and his first one to boot! Congratulations to him, then. However, I’m surprised that a few entries with fatal flaws still made the first cut. It was only after a more thorough inspection that they fell by the wayside.

4 Likes

I put a lot of effort into every aspect of the DAAG, and I’m glad it paid out. My first victory in a CSR, after participating in around a dozen of them.

It was good fun to compete with you guys. And thanks to @Cheeseman for hosting such an awesome CSR!

7 Likes

I can’t believe I actually made something too much for even Mr. Eccentric LOL!
Anyway, 3rd place isn’t bad for a complete 1st timer! I gracefully accept.

7 Likes

Well, my participation in this may have been (very) brief, but I still greatly enjoyed this round. I learned to style a pickup with more elegant tastes, and this won’t be the last time I ever bring the Lark out. Its time will come, surely…

As for the round itself, picture-perfect. The story was great, the character banter was great, and the ending hit all the right notes of “awwwwww”. Truly proves love can always come back to you, even when money doesn’t. Truly no better lesson to learn here!

Congrats to NiuYorq, for creating the perfect Grand Tourer to clinch his first CSR victory, and congrats to Cheeseman for a great, trouble-free CSR!

5 Likes

Me and @Rk38 aren’t able to host the next CSR.
I guess is on the hand of @Ezdmn

1 Like

@Ezdmn has messaged me to inform me that they will not be able to host…

In which case, @Private_Miros it is up to you (should you be able to)

If Private_Miros wish to focus on his other challenges currently ongoing I’m willing to take on the duty.

1 Like

Lol now that the winners are settled no one can host XD

Conan is looking into an idea. I’m too busy to fully commit, but he knows he has my support if he needs it.

I have a first draft already. You can expect the thread to go up in an hour or so.

7 Likes