CSR 86 - A Time of Crisis

Oh I have made quite a huge mistake. No, it was not forgetting about your car entirely. But I forget to inform you that your engine is not in accordance of the rule with the ET being 0.2 higher than it’s supposed to be. I thought I’d reported everybody about their aversion to the ruleset but apparently yours never reached the destination.

I do not know the course of action to take. Maybe you should be allow to adjust accordingly and have the car get into evaluation again.

Sorry.

Ah… now that you mention it, and I re-open the file, I totally mixed up the two lines for PU and ET. That is 100% my fault, and as such I should definitely have been binned. My bad!

Ah… talk about the famous last words, huh? And to think it all started so well…

Truth be told, I didn’t even think the suspension parts were the ones which were too advanced for the car. I spent quite a few minutes fiddling around with the gearbox, thinking going a rung above in quality would instabin me. Once again the Devil was in the details, but this time he hid himself in different ones.

But man, I’m so stoked about how well-received the Balendos’s design was! This was my first time trying the “sedan so dull you could use it as a tranquilizer” gimmick. And trust me, the original design was fancier. So much fancier it was gaudy, in fact. Thank God I had pointers throwing me off that direction… :sweat_smile:

Also, top notch writing, enough said. Sure, some informations and expressions became more repetitive near the end. But I suppose that happens when Kala has two interior manufacturers. One who is a professional and grandpa who runs his shop out of the fish market… Well, time to replace those loafs of bread which I used for brake pads.

P.S.: Apologies for Bogliq for stealing some of their incar sound supplies. Something in CSM needs to say “quality”, plus you know your cheap cars and… (laughs nervously) :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@conan

Not wanting to be “that guy” but for my own education can you please explain:

I’m honestly struggling to see how the car could be interpreted as having stiff or non-compliant suspension? Springs are definitely not stiff and comfort is up at 96%… If anything, I thought the suspension probably needed to be a bit stiffer…

I think everything is explained quite well. 96% is on a low level, had you made it stiffer it’d have been even worse, most competitors are at 97-103%. Also it has a bit of bottoming out penalty which of course you do not want. Going forward though, you have to understand that it was not binned only because it has 96% comfort rating in the suspension.

It was not just “Oh, this car has slightly worse stat compared to other car, bin”. The other part of the car such as braking is also isn’t that good (in fade term, especially). And at the price point you’re at, $7,886. Other cars simply do the job as good or better for less money. And I’ve just notice going back to it again that you should’ve been binned for using partial aluminium panels for the same reason as John’s car.

Another thing you have to understand is that I was going to do the final evaluation with 5 cars. And ended up with 9. I had to discount a few really good cars for it and still ending up with 6. It’s a competitive playing field and only the best cars will get in. Your car is not a bad design at all, it simply doesn’t quite match those who’ve made it exactly right for the job.

I hope this explain it well enough.

1 Like

I just wonder how people could afford a not-basic interior and still be within ET spec tho.

Though it’s probably the double wishbone rear suspension that got me fucked up ET wise :thinking:

1 Like

Royally shit, Just what I expected.

I really fucked up with my engine selection. Damn me and my refusal for no i3s bigger than 1L.

2 Likes

Second Evaluation.

“Back in 1980’s, people of Kala were uprising against the military junta which has been in power since the early 1950’s. Following a massacre of 1979, people were protesting on the street everywhere to make the government step down. But instead of stepping down, the government decided to hold out. Fortifying for any attack that was happening in the capital city. The international organization was condemning the government at every turn and people was furious at the government. It looked as if the people had won, but it wasn’t to be. While a democratic government was established following a coup in 1983.

The issue was, the people of Kala didn’t have Democratic mindset required for it to continue. And what followed was a constant protesting against the democratic elected government. Seeing the regime change every 6 months to a year, most international companies used to operate in the country started to move out. Not only that the government was unstable, the constant chaos happening in the strategic area of economy, leads to Kala becoming a very unattractive place to invest in. It didn’t improve when the military junta decided to take the power back again in 1986.

Here’s an anecdote. Back in 1987 when Mitsushita Motor Corporation was thinking about moving its factory out of Kala to neighbouring Thailand. King Osa Rajasingha personally arranged a meeting with the management of the company. I don’t know what happened at the meeting. The result was, by 1988, Mitsushita was fully operating in Thailand.

Here, knowing the history of Mitsushita and Ananda. The idea was extremely preposterous. Kala was the more developed country! We had better geography for the sea trade. That’s why before 1960’s and 1970’s, Kala was way richer than Thailand. We had factories exporting cars to them. But by 1988 even the largest manufacturer stepped out.

I can see why King Osa wanted to create their own national car. And it wouldn’t be something like a Mitsushita either. It’s pride. The car would’ve been better than the lowly Mitsushita. With foreign companies moving out, King Osa had to do whatever to keep them in. To introduce a new player in the market.”

An except from South East Chronicle, 1996.

The day after the first evaluation was done. I’ve called in Mr. Bhoom, Mr. Jed and Ms. Ree to meet me at a royal palace. Within the warehouse which usually is full of my collection of expensive cars and motorcycles. But today, 6 cars that are parked in the central maintenance room combined value aren’t worth even one of these supercars in my lair.

All three of them did the official greeting. I let these people write the report back on the cars. Mr. Bhoom for the economic viability. Mr. Jed for maintenance prospect, and Ms. Ree for the market evaluation. I shall read them when they’re done. Shouldn’t take more than a week.

I was then off to visit one of my concubines.

A week later a book of report was sent to my working room. It was not a long report from what I can see. But it would tell which car is the one I should choose to become the Kala National Car. I’ll paraphrase so it is not too long to be boring.

Fuji Coherence SESI @CC9020

“About the right size of Automobile. 4.30 metres long. The sheet metal doesn’t appear to require any special treatment. The chassis design will require galvanization plant which already is fairly common. One thing of note is that the car bodyshell has been designed with good crash test characteristic in mind. With specially chosen material strength at certain point of the car. That is going to cost more but not exceedingly so since a few more expensive cars already have this assembly requirement. We will need to import ABS component from European country and that might prove difficult considering our situation. The suspension components are also of high quality and might need consulting with auto parts suppliers. The engine also has VVL Technology which is not available. If our plan to produce the car with 90% local parts origin is going to go forward this car isn’t very viable.” – Mr. Bhoom
“The engine has been taken apart and found to have not particularly exceeding quality in any aspect. It’s built using existing technology at about the average level of quality. The only concern is the VVL technology which is unproven in hot and dusty climate, and with hydraulic actuation, it could prove problematic when faced with Kala people lack of concern in automobile maintenance. The Gearbox is a very basic design and shouldn’t require a single imported component though. The power steering is electric, which is unproven also and we don’t have reports on that in dusty environment. It’s supposed to be better for reliability, but we can’t be 100% sure on that claim.” – Mr. Jed
“The car has fairly decent comfort and luxury feel. It’s also not too expensive which is nice. The outside appearance might be a little bit too edgy and aggressive however, which could effect perception within female demographic.” – Ms. Ree

Garuda Pesona 1.8 @goblin95

“Compared to the Coherence, this car is a much simpler and cheaper car to assemble. It is in fact the cheapest car in the evaluation process. The layout of this car is exactly the same as the Coherence. With similar concern. A safety oriented chassis design requiring a special factory assembly process. There’s also the VVT technology within the engine, which while doesn’t posed as much of an issue as the VVL technology, it’s still going to require a bit of outsourcing from Japan or Taiwan. 4.18 metres long, a very nice, light car. The car doesn’t have as many fancy computer technology as the Coherence which could prove beneficial to it.” – Mr. Bhoom
“A fairly basic layout. The engine will not require a single special component apart from the aforementioned VVT system. A fairly well sorted engine but not exceeding in quality. A simple fix then. The car’s suspension layout is also beneficial for economic repair, with the rear torsion beam suspension requiring only 4 bushings in all. With no other concern this car could prove very economical to run in all. And being so simple it shouldn’t have issue with reliability either.” – Mr. Jed
“This car is going to suffer from fairly stiff suspension. It’s borderline unacceptable level for most consumers. But it shouldn’t have issue with image as the car doesn’t have it’s styling too aggressive or too benign. A fairly well design car that would be fitting for any demographic, no matter how old or young. The trouble is, the stiff suspension and loud exhaust is going to deter people who want absolute comfort.” – Ms. Ree

RCM Fox 1.8 @thecarlover

“The engine shouldn’t pose any problem at all in the components aspect. There’s very little electronic in the engine apart from management system. Which is more advanced than the Garuda and the Coherence. It should prove very reliable as it’s a system licenced from established company with good reputation. There’s no fancy VVL or VVT technology, and the components will be able to get produce in the country with no problem. The car itself is also very basic. But there’s a few concern. It does have ABS, which means outsourcing for sure. And it has a very good stereo system which doesn’t appear out of thin air. The Automatic gearbox is going to have to be outsourced too as it’s an electronically controlled one. But other than that, no issue. But going back to the stereo, as long as you understand that it’s going to take a bit more effort into that for only slight improvement, that’s going to be okay.” – Mr. Bhoom
“A very simple and well thought out car. It shouldn’t have any issue running in the country, but the interior amenities could prove more troublesome than the other cars. The steering system and ABS is of a higher quality than those we’ve seen in the Garuda and Coherence. With the PAS being a very proven Hydraulic system. The rear suspension will be harder to sort out than the Garuda, but about par with the Coherence. ” – Mr. Jed
“The design is well thought out too. With it being quite neutral and basic. It will not stand out from the crowd, but it will be pleasant for anyone involved. The suspension and gearbox is very ordinary, and also shouldn’t give much of an issue with the people. The only downside is that this car isn’t very spritely, so people are going to get bored of it. Seeing it as merely a basic motoring.” – Ms. Ree

Valta Kyori 1.9 Deluxe @cheeseman

“This car is expensive, the most expensive we’ve got. And rightfully so. This car is equipped with double wishbone rear suspension, which is a highly complex suspension type requiring more assembly time. It has ABS so it requires a special components from foreign manufacturer. The stereo is similar system to the RCM Fox so it will require more outsourcing. This car is relatively small at 4.14 metres long but the cost would be quite stiff indeed. Especially more so when a lot of the engine components are forged stuff. Which we have capability to produce, but normally reserved for more expensive products. One aspect of it specifically, the forged connecting rods, are especially tricky to get as it is a lightweight design that hasn’t been done in the country yet. But apart from that the engine is basic enough apart from maybe fuel injection system which is similarly electronically controlled. But that’s mandatory now for catching up with the world.” – Mr. Bhoom
“The expensive construction and technology is likely going to affect yearly servicing cost in average terms. The rear suspension in particular would require about 10 bushings instead of Garuda’s 4. Not counting the man hours required to disassembled the car in which from our testing, was indeed a lot more than the Garuda. And more than the RCM Fox, also. The electric steering is unproven again, and the ABS might lead to some issue later down the line considering it’s merely off the shelf design. But manual transmission should prove a more reliable prospect to keeping this car running for a long time.” – Mr. Jed
“An incredibly plush car. This car is more comfortable than the RCM Fox but still handles good. This should cover all the market quite well along with its neutral and classy styling which should give it a very good image in the eyes of the people.” – Ms. Ree

Komodo Kaste @koolkei @Mr.Computah

“This car is incredibly similar to the Garuda in term of the layout. Basic torsion beam suspension allowing for easy assembly. In fact, this is even easier to assembled compared to the very basic Garuda. There’s no fancy body structure design that pose an issue in producing the body shell. The car has simple manual transmission and the interior is bog standard. But it is equipped with ABS and Electric Power Steering which has to be outsourced from the outside company. When looking at the engine, however. It’s just about the most perfect in term of ease of assembly. There’s not a single stuff on it that needs to be outsourced or would pose an issue, apart from maybe electronic fuel injection which we can easily get from Thailand. But, the end price tag is quite considerably more than the Garuda which doesn’t help it’s case.” – Mr. Bhoom
“Repeating the Mr. Bhoom’s report. This car is a very simple one to work with. Apart from the usual suspect of ABS and Electronic Power Steering. This is the sort of car that would last a long time and being easy to fix. It appears that this car has been tuned to be extremely economical and reflecting the fuel economy level which seems to match the claimed figure.” – Mr. Jed
“It’s a decent car, if a bit on the cheap side. It looks good enough if not that prestigious. It is learning towards the feminine side of the styling, but not too much that it would create an issue. Economically, and environmentally friendliness this car would do well for those who like those aspect of a car. But seeing the preference of our people, maybe it’s not really that necessary?” – Ms. Ree

Baltazar Quark 1.6 CX Sedan @leonardo9613

“This car layout appears to be quite simple at first. Because it is. It has torsion beam suspension with simple to fix layout. Nothing that jumps out to be an issue until you dig deeper to find that it’s actually quite full of technology. Not so much in the engine department, which, apart from electronic fuel injection, doesn’t have pesky electronic at all. But the rest of the car is another story. The frame of the car has been designed with crash protection in mind so quite a bit of tricky engineering for that. The steering system is a very advanced variable technology which makes it better to drive and more comfortable, but trickier to source the components for. It’s equipped with ABS, and it has electronically controlled transmission. This car is only 3.98 metres long though so it really is small, but it doesn’t appear to have any less space inside than any other car so that’s certainly a bonus.” – Mr. Bhoom
“This car is more complex than the appearance would suggest. With a host of modern technology that would make it harder to become obsolete. But obviously trickier to fix. Especially the variable steering system which doesn’t have a good track of reliability record. Also the ABS could pose a problem. If it’s that nice to drive then maybe it is worth the upkeep and reliability issue. But you must understand that it might not be the most reliable one out there.” – Mr. Jed
“A basic, pleasant design of a car that does everything quite well. The only subject that it wouldn’t be able to answer to is sportiness, which I guess is not a problem for economy car. But since, your majesty, is looking for a car with good image and aspiration. This car is a tad basic and ordinary. Doesn’t help by the plastic bumpers which aren’t colour coordinated just yet.” – Ms. Ree

Well, that was quite a comprehensive report. And a very confusing one. It doesn’t appear to show that these people have any favourites in their evaluation. Hm. They literally just thrown a report at me and made me have the final say. Why do I employ these people in the civil service? Hm?

Oh well. I shall deliberate and have the final say it is.

The Fuji Coherence SESI, a good car to drive, fall aparts a bit too easily. Isn’t as good as it’s competitors. I think this is out, sadly.
The Garuda Pesona 1.8, another good car to drive, if a bit uncomfortable, not to the unacceptable extent though and is a very well sorted car. Cheap too. Very cheap. And I like it’s look very much.
The RCM Fox 1.8, I think it’s quite a good contender being at about the right level of cheap and luxurious. But I don’t think it’s going to be reliable enough, and it’s a bit tricky to produce. It’s neutral look also is not quite worth the pricetag.
The Valta Kyori 1.9 Deluxe, the only one question is. Is it worth the extra price? Yes, it does everything better than the Garuda, but it cost a lot more than that too. Interesting conundrum. Looks terrific too.
The Komodo Kaste, I think it does everything good, but just isn’t as good as the Garuda Pesona in the area where it counts. While being much more expensive to boot. I think… no.
The Baltazar Quark 1.6 CX Sedan, it’s a very good car, but might be a little bit too complicated for the job. Reliability and cost of production is a concern. That’s a shame as it’s a really good car to drive.

What to go with then?

16 Likes

Final Result

Finally, me, King Osa. Have chosen a car that will become the national car of Kingdom of Kala. Tomorrow I will fly out and meet with the executive of Garuda. The deal I’ve offered is cash incentive for building the factory in exchange for share of the local company branch, the deal went very smoothly, and the company accepted without hesitation. Especially because they’re struggling in the area with declining sales due to poor economy.

The plan went forward very quickly, the plant was established in lightning fast time aiding by the current presence of the brand in the country. The car was debut with a very attractive pricing caused by tax subsidy that I’ve given. This well-designed product with excellent performance is surely destined to become a hit with people especially when it’s cheaper than comparable automobile, vital in such hard times.

The Garuda Pesona became a huge hit as expected, and overnight one too. The record for the highest debut sale was broken very quickly with 15,000 units being taken up in a week, even before the test drive was given out. This is base on the terrific looks alone. And when it actually hit the market, more and more people bought into it as it’s clearly the product that everybody deserved. I’ve chosen well. I profited a shitload of cash just from this venture and the company presence in Kala is massive as a result. Isn’t it a win-win situation? My people get their mode of transport, I get cash and loyalty. It doesn’t matter that they can’t afford anything else because what they got is excellent to them.

Epilogue

I will be hiding this because some of you may not be interested in it. Disclaimer: It's just a story, it does not represent any real life personalities or nation. I also did not encouraged any ideology, it's just a story. I personally also think it's a bit crap, but hey ho, it was done in 2 hours. There ought to be mistake and plotholes.

“I have an anecdote to tell you. Once upon a time, a motorcade of a politician was going down a deserted road at great speed, ignoring the traffic rules and not caring for anything in the world. But when it got to one intersection, there was this old Garuda Pesona park at a red light, not a single car in sight coming or going. The motorcade was blasting the horn, telling the driver of the old Pesona through PA system to move over and run the red light. But that car didn’t move, it stay still. One of the leading car’s driver got out and knock at the driver’s window of that old Pesona, but when the window rolls down, he just collapsed to the floor in a fright. An old, thin, grey’ed out man was in the driver seat allegedly said “Why are you in such a hurry? Even I am not in a hurry.” The Politician got out of his luxurious German car and came to have a look, and there he collapsed to. The old man was King Osa, on his way to the airport to visit an undeveloped area up north. But even when there’s no one looking, the rule is the rule. Even the ruler has to stick to it, no one is above the law.”

“Have you heard about that man, Toh? Professor Toh. He’s a goddamn communist alright. He’s been blabbing about the republic and shit. And he’s been trying to defame the king Osa. Before you knew it, he disappeared from his house in the capital. No one ever knew what happened to him, no one ever said anything. The only witness saw a black Garuda Pesona coming up to him and no one ever seen him since. Oh well, that serves him right for not being loyal to the King Osa. Some people probably couldn’t stand him no more and took him out. I’m glad for that.”

“All Garuda Pesona should be preserved! How can you destroy a car that the great King Osa has given us?!”

“I know that in the current economic trouble, Garuda might be considering to move out of the Kingdom of Kala. But please, do not do that. The company is serving it’s people. Employer of the many thousands worker building the car in the factory. Please, don’t go. I know the demand is not ideal at the moment but it will subside. In fact, can I purchase one? You may let the workers take their time with it, hand building it even. But please, let them being able to keep their job.”

“I reckon it’s a great car this, the Pesona. Excellent drive, excellent performance.”

“They’ve shot Mr. Jiang, and now they’re blaming me for it. Saying it with a ridiculous, preposterous premise but people are going to believe it! A killing because of a conflicting love affair becoming exposed, what a terrible bullshit!.. They executed Mr. Jiang in broad daylight. I’m sure the government official did it. They knew what we have, they knew we can use it and it’s going to bring everything down!”

You speak with a tremble, it’s clear that you’re quite horrified of what happened and what’s been reported in the news. I’m quite horrified too, but less at the idea but more of the thought that people is going to believe it.

“And that’s exactly why there was a Garuda parked near your car, observing and ready to pounce as soon as they saw you. It seems that they haven’t caught on the fact that I picked you up in a Mitsushita Polly. I saw you parked your Baltazar in a secluded place in hope to not attract attention, but the officials were hot behind your tail and knew it was your car. Not many people would park there since it’s a far away walk. A black Garuda was so obvious that I’m surprised you didn’t caught it on."
“Yes! Exactly!..” You proclaimed, with a bit of embarrassment.
“So what exactly have you done? Why are they pinning that on you?” I asked as I pointed at the television screen showing the news report on the murder of Mr. Jiang. “I am assuming it’s not true at this moment.”
“Well, as you may have heard, I am a reporter now for the South East Chronicle. I have been situated in Thailand for a bit of time now due to the circumstances. Of course, you would know…” You stop for a bit and look at me in the eyes. “I will be telling you this because I knew you from back in the day, and I hope your opinion on King Osa have not changed in the decade we haven’t met.

"Mr. Jiang and I have the reports from a lead in the royal palace of King Osa. You know how in the recent years he have been going batshit?..”
“I know.”
“Yeah, about that. It’s not proven, it’ll never be proven. No one is willing to speak out and no one would be able to get out. Apart from a single person. A servant by the name of Yong. Have you heard the rumour floating around about the guy? That he has a dissent murdered in the palace by drowning in a lake?”
“Oh? I have heard about that. Didn’t think of it much. A lot of rumours going about and you cannot be sure which is true and which isn’t.”
“Yeah that would be the case, if it was not for the technology. It’s true. Yong took a video of King Osa personally ask his soldier to throw the guy in the lake.”
“Sorry, what?”

The look you’re giving me suggested that this isn’t a joke.

“It’s not the only atrocity this absolute twat has been doing that’s been caught on camera either. Plenty more evidence this isn’t as nice of a guy as people would be lead to think. Yong took a few, as much as she could have… Poor girl…”
“Huh?”
“She was caught, not before she uploaded the videos to cloud though. I haven’t heard from Yong since the day Mr. Jiang got the files. Presumed dead I reckon.”

At this moment, your face turns red from anger again. But I see you’re trying to suppress it.

“The files are on a storage device in the hotel Mr. Jiang was staying. I couldn’t access it now, obviously. I think the police would’ve gotten to it by now… All is completely lost even though we had a chance to bring down this… this…”

You couldn’t even finish the sentence.

But then I thought of something.

“What if I tell you, I could get it back?” I said that which makes you look up from trying to wipe the tears that’s now raining down your cheeks.
“What? How?”

Hotel Sibi, near King Osa International Airport.

Mr. Jiang, a journalist from South East Chronicle has been shot with a 9mm handgun this morning while walking out the hotel. The area’s been fenced off, the forensics team have been on the location. The press have gone to release the terrible news and the body has been moved away for further examining.

Lieutenant Jim has been a police officer for way too long. Seeing this country fall from grace he knew when he was a child is painful. But like everyone else, he’s numbing it by trying not to think about it too much.

He thought at this point that most of the work have been done. He’ll be returning home to his wife soon. Open and shut, it seems. He’s wondering though, the superior officers were very hand on in this case despite it not being that important to his opinion. Lieu. Jim knew that usually it would be his duty to handle it, but not this time. Superintendents were coming down from their fancy chairs and did everything. Telling him what to do, and what was what. Jim didn’t believe a single bit of it. But oh well, what can he do?

Time to go home now. As soon as he’s able to find one item that he was assigned to. A storage device. He didn’t ask what’s on it, where it is, or why does it have any importance. Only told to do exactly so.

He walked to the room the victim was staying in. It’s not been searched just yet probably due to bureaucratic bullshit somewhere along the way. But when Lieu. Jim got to it, there is already another officer going away from the room. He didn’t recognised the man, but he knew the guy was his superior despite looking 10-15 years younger.

“Oh hello. Are you collecting evidence?” The man asked Jim.
“Eh, yes, sir.” Jim replied, although feeling a bit odd to say so since the man is younger than him. “I have been notified to collect some stuff from the room.”
“Ooh! Good, good… Your name is?”
“Jim, sir.”
“Well go and do what you’ve been told to. I’m just checking some stuff and will be going now.” The man told Jim, prompting him to do a salute.

But as the man walk pass, Jim saw something. It was a patch on his shoulder. It’s the old style patch that was phased out since 2017. But because Jim usually don’t get to meet a superior, it didn’t click until the man was walking into the elevator, at which point it was too late for Jim to do anything other than shouting towards him.

Jim ran down the staircase trying to intercept the young man in police costume. By the time he reach the hotel exit, he only saw a Champagne coloured Garuda Pesona driving away at great speed.

Jim ran to his Garuda which was parked nearby. And start chasing the Champagne Pesona.

While Jim has taken many offensive driving courses. He knew, that the man driving the Champagne Garuda is clearly a force to be reckon with. His driving is precise and fearless. The man drives very much like a stunt driver with racing being a hobby.

With a bit of a head start, the Champagne Garuda was pulling away although Jim tried to catch up. He starts to try cutting corners a lot more and catches back up.

Jim trying to get another look at the fake police officer who has just stolen what he was ordered to collect. But he didn’t notice a parked car there.

After the crash, Jim was taken to hospital. And the Champagne Garuda Pesona was put on a wanted list. The reason being “It was an eyewitness report seeing a Champagne Garuda leaving the scene of crime this morning.” Of course, that was totally made up.

And by the time the news able to report that, I have already hidden the Champagne Garuda away at my storage with the cover on. Thank god my uncle was a police officer. Although I realized after the fact that had Lieu. Jim was being more observant, I’d have been screwed.

The storage device is now retrieved. But there’s still a few preparations to do before you can make your escape to tell the world of the atrocities that is happening in Kala…

Ah the Pesona Garuda, huh. The infamous national automobile of Kala. I’ve driven a few of them in my stay there and I have to say, it’s really a fantastic car. Surprisingly fun to drive, and quite spritely performance too. Introduced in 1997 as a measure against the collapsing economy. The Garuda Pesona 1.8 was a personal project of King Osa Rajasingha. Selling on the premise that it’s a National Car. Garuda was not a local company, obviously. But since King Osa endorsed it, there’s no reason people wouldn’t buy it. That alone tells the influence King Osa had on his people.

Not only that though. The car in general is fantastic, as I’ve said. But it was also good 30-40% cheaper than it’s rival. And this was during the time Kala was an open market before King Osa stepped in and meddled with the economy too. The Pesona as we know it in Kala stayed on for much longer than it was supposed to be. And it spawned a lot of variation too. But what started out as a very viable option for the people who’ve chosen it for it’s merit alone. Started to become a pet project for the mad king.

You see, after it was introduced and people gets attracted to it. By some point nearly 50% of the car in Kala was a Garuda Pesona. And the other cars, even the cheapest, direct rivals to it was seen as a cult product for rich people. It was that bad. And it got worse when those cars started to have bigger and bigger tariff on it so people would buy more Pesona.

There was attempts to replace the Pesona, but by 2018, it was the ubiquitous car of Kala. The country did not improve, it actually got worse and worse. The economy tanked, massive inflation arised. But the Pesona stayed. 20 something years after it was first introduced it was still used as a taxi cab, as a police car. And a relatively luxury for the people of Kala who, unless you were a middle class, this was the only option you could’ve got.

Like I said, it’s not a bad car. But 20 years in the market made it very obvious that this car isn’t as good as the imports. Mitsushita, Ananda, Znopresk, Baltazar, Komodo, whatever brands you can think of. Even the newer Garudas are much better than the Pesona which was produced in Kala until 2024! 27 years after it’s introduction.

I cannot fault the car for its merit alone, it’s a good car. But what it stands for now? The collusion, the brutality, the corruption of the people. King Osa was not a person, he was a god. And he was able to do everything he wish to.

In 2022, a reporter of South East Chronicle, Ms. Yuan. Reported the terrible crimes of King Osa. The king who was supposed to be the smiley people. The world didn’t know he was ready to personally get rid of the people who didn’t agree with his reigning. Immediately, the reports were said to be fake by the official. King Osa, by that point, was pretty much nearly in the deathbed. But his mind was still sharp. He appeared on television to appeal to the people again. And people believed it.

But the seed has already been planted. The dissenters grew more and more everyday. And eventually, there was an uprising of the people after King Osa passed away in 2024. With the troubled ascension due to the questioned of legitimacy, and the revealed atrocity of King Osa. Even the military wouldn’t stand for the façade anymore. Overthrown, very quickly.

Overnight, a military government was instated again. And a proper reform was done by a relatively progressive government which saw the need to stop the chaos happening in and around Kala at this point.

The Garuda Pesona went away almost immediately after the tariff on other cars were reduced.

But still, Kala is a long way away from resurrection. It will be a while before the investments from the rest of the world starts pouring in again. With the doubt remains as to the intention of the current military government.

Pesona… by Garuda. The start, and the end. I wished you hadn’t got caught up in the mess that is Kala. But the same can be said for its people.

It’s time for you to rest now. For your job is finished.

Goy has been a truck driver for so many years now. He’s works as King Osa’s personal cars delivery. And King Osa has a lot of cars. One day, Goy was assigned, along with a group of few truckers to deliver some economical car to the royal airfield outside of the city.

At the seaport, Goy was picking up the cars, he could’ve carried about 6 of them. But one of them he saw was very peculiar. It was a bright chrome car with way too large of a body.

“Is that supposed to be here?”

The manifest said yes.

Goy was troubled, he knew the temper of King Osa when something that is not correct. But King Osa isn’t very bright. Clearly, he’s been duped by somebody and that was the mocking statement. Maybe it was the work of the dissenters.

Goy didn’t know what to do, thinking quickly. He thought that if King Osa was to see this car, he might throw a “tantrum” at him. And decided that since there were more than 30 cars. If a single car were to be disappeared, he wouldn’t notice.

Apparently, Goy was right.

The Xenos 5k was unceremoniously dumped into the nearby forest by Goy. It was not to have been found until much, much later. After King Osa passed away.

And that’s it folks! The CSR86 is over.

It was a really taxing round to write for. But I hope it is of good enough quality! Was it a joy to write? Yes! Absolutely! And I hope you guys like it too.

I am not sorry for the wall of text that this round is. I will only be sorry for any mistake that was made in it. For being an ass sometime, and also for obvious I dun goof’ed moments.

The result, of course, is as followed.

1st @goblin95, Garuda Pesona 1.8
2nd @Cheeseman, Valta Kyori 1.9 Deluxe
3rd @Leonardo9613 Baltazar Quark 1.6 CX Sedan
4th @thecarlover RCM Fox 1.8
5th @koolkei @Mr.Computah Komodo Kaste
6th @CC9020 Fuji Coherence SESI

I hope it doesn’t go further than that.

Thanks for participating, and I wish the next host of CSR a not very salty round!

20 Likes

Great to see I’ve come second for the third time in a row of submitting, just my luck :wink:

Thanks for hosting this round, I will say that if the winner turns down the hosting I will also not be able to host as I don’t have enough time at the moment.

6 Likes

Well, that actually did well. Second CSR, first without an instabin! Should’ve sent the DOHC JDM version in though, if I’m going to put VVL on it. To be honest, really didn’t think too much about simple construction, would’ve done it differently if I did. Engine wasn’t as well done as it could’ve been. Anyway, good luck all in CSR87!

Yay, I finally win a CSR round!

…And at an unfortunate time too, since as much as I would love to host the next round, I’m already preoccupied with midterm exams until next week. Thus, I sadly need to pass the hosting offer to the next person.

In any case, thank you conan for hosting this round! That was one hell of a bin, and quite a read as well. I really thought that the Pesona would get eliminated straight away for being too cheap and uncomfortable, but apparently it was not! So, long live Kala and its now-national car.

Here is the car in question if anyone wants to see it: CSR 86 - goblin95 - Garuda Pesona 1.8.car (44.5 KB)

7 Likes

Do you have a stats spreadsheet that you could release, for interest’s sake?

I do not because I didn’t use any. I have never believe in spreadsheet since it is not the method people actually use in buying real cars.

Props to you for successfully hosting a compelling budget car round! I remember that you ran into a few problems while hosting CSR64 (and before that, CSR60), but this latest effort of yours went off without a hitch, much to our relief.

And congratulations to @goblin95 for a well-deserved first-time victory!

Unfortunately, with the top two finishers in this round unable to host CSR87, Leo will be next in line to host it - unless he decides to pass it on.

1 Like

Thanks Conan. I guess it’s a terminology thing. When I read the comment that the car was stiff and jarring, that to me said that my suspension should be softer - which didn’t make sense because it was already borderline soft.

I’m not bitter, just generally confused. I understand the car wasn’t up to scratch, and no hard feelings :slight_smile:

To be fair, one shouldn’t really apologize for putting his heart into his work and enjoying it. But that might be just a personal hunch… :wink:

Yes, there was a lot of text this CSR. And I understand some preferring short-and-sweet reviews and straight-forward lore to “novels”. But every now and then, there can be thorough reviews like these. And really, it makes sense given the context. We’re talking about a cutthroat dictator here. A person who can’t afford to get stingy with any detail. A person who too is thorough, because he can’t leave things to chance (or his subdits which can backstab him).

All in all, I greatly enjoyed this round. Learned more about '90s brown trousers motoring, and managed to design a decent car to go with them. Sedans were king here, as shown by all finalists being one. It won’t be the last time the Balendos will see action, and hopefully its moment will come…
Hiding the Epilogue behind a spoiler tag was probably a wise decision due to its length (albeit you’ll also miss out on an epic chase scene). Also, the use of BeamNG footage was a cool touch. And while I was expecting a funnier end for the 5K, that would likely be out of place, given the story’s tone.

Congrats to goblin for creating a sedan which withstood the test of time and political treason, and kudos to conan for good explanations, great reviews and an awesome CSR!

6 Likes

Congrats to the winner and Cheeseman for beating the Quark.

I’m very happy the car did this well, the only change between the lore version and the finished car was just one quality point, in order to comply with the rules. Thinking back, this car isn’t quite basic enough to justify the plastic bumpers, but that was more a styling tweak thank anything.

Anyway, I won’t be able to host the next round, I’m afraid. Up to thecarlover now.

I’m free to host, I’ll come up with a ruleset shortly and post a link to the new thread.

3 Likes

New round is up!

4 Likes