CSR 88 - ''Back to The Future'' (FINAL RESULTS PUBLISHED!)

Yeah this happened to a few cars but yours was most noticable. I did get to see it in its intended form though so no worries.

4 Likes

Funnily enough, that’s exactly what I did.

4 Likes

The reviews are awesome, the setting feels so nice and I like where this is going :smiley: Hope FiVee’s finding what he’s SEARCHING for :smirk:

Out of curiosity, what counts as “braking concerns”? Braking capacity not going over grip levels (somehow), or drivability brake fade?

1 Like

It’s usually to do with high stopping distance or highest fade value. Then again, it doesn’t necessarily mean an entry was terrible - but by comparison to all other subs, some fell short.

I know this is very vague right now but I’ll aim to give everyone a bit more feedback in finals.

Big thumbs up for Trevor Something!

4 Likes

It’s time for Part 2 of the 1st Round! Get hyped!

Downtown Yotayama, 7:12am. Weather is gray, like the cab Fi-Vee arrives in.

‘‘What time do you call this?!’’
‘‘Relax Greg, I got here as soon as I could. Al had a cab heading my way before I even got out the shower.’’
‘‘Actually, I called for it before you even woke up.’’
‘’…it took this long for an Uber to arrive?’’
‘‘You must admit, timing was impeccable.’’
‘‘As always.’’
‘‘Are you two done yet?’’
‘‘Yes.’’
‘’_Yes.’’
‘‘Good. Now pay attention kid. This is the 3rd one this week and everyone is on high alert. These incidents are getting more and more frequent. Safety and integrity of the whole system is at risk if we don’t figure out what the hell is going on!’’
‘‘Glad to hear you got a handle on things… Where do I come in? Isn’t this a little far out of my jurisdiction?’’
‘‘Fi-Vee… I wouldn’t call you here for a simple traffic collision… Look around, it’s utter carnage. 3 cars, no survivors. But something doesn’t seem right…’’
‘’…yeesh… at least warn me first next time will you?’’
‘‘Yeah, yeah, new kid is a little squeamish. Listen, I need you to pull the blackbox recordings. We’re having trouble accessing them. All my guys are coming up with nothing…’’
‘‘On it. AL…’’
‘‘S Y N C H R O N I Z I N G. Fi-Vee, this is rather peculiar but my analysis shows the records have been encrypted and scrambled. I may be able to recover the data but it will take some time.’’
‘‘You’re the best AL.’’
‘‘You’ve got quite a handle on that thing, kid. That can’t be a standard issue AI. Back in my day all we had were speakers that told bad jokes and ordered random crap from eBay if you weren’t careful enough with your conversations.’’
‘‘Me and technology just get along. You’re ancient, Greg.’’
‘‘I prefer to think of it as ‘life experience’, you cheeky bugger.’’
‘‘I’ll take a look around and see if I can’t find any more leads.’’
‘‘When you’re done, go back to central for a debrief. Let me know what you come up with!’’
‘‘Got it.’’

Fi-Vee snoops around for another half hour, downloading various security and telemetry data from nearby terminals. Soon, he’s back on his way to central, images of the crash scene fresh in his mind.
‘‘Mmmmm, my favorite… p a p e r w o r k.’’ he said, sitting down at his desk.
‘‘Procrastinating will only prolong the inevitable.’’
‘‘Well, let’s just get this over with…’’
Hours pass by with no end of paperwork in sight.
Then, at long last, lunch bell rings out.
‘‘OH THANK GOD!’’
‘‘I didn’t have you down as the religious type.’’
‘‘It’s just an expression…anyway, anything to break t h i s up.’’
‘‘Since you have some time, perhaps you’d care to review some more vehicle offers I have compiled for you?’’
‘‘Bring them on!’’

@Flamers

FP – 102 – e-Tron

‘‘We’ll start with this one’’
‘‘AL, I’ve already seen one car crash today.’’
‘‘Still, do take a closer look.’’
‘‘Okay. Well… I am not sure what the designer was thinking about when they made this. Was it even one person? It kind of looks like it was designed by a committee that couldn’t agree on anything.’’
‘‘It’s certainly reminiscent of the Albatross.’’
‘‘A little, though more messy and less thought out. The front is square and old school, the back is very n o w, the color scheme clashes pretty hard and accents are wayy overdone. And what are THOSE?! Eye piercings for a car?!’’
‘‘Perhaps the interior will be more to your liking.’’
‘‘Quit messing around AL, this clearly isn’t the same car.’’
‘‘Yes, it is, actually.’’
‘‘No way! They put THAT interior into THIS?! But… how? Why? I… am confused. It’s… I just don’t know what to think anymore.’’
‘‘Hand crafted by the finest italian craftsmen.’’
‘’… I am sorry but I just can’t be seen in a car like that.’’
‘‘Very well, moving on.’’

@Yurimacs

Lagau AR48

‘‘Well… it’s a little better than the last.’’
‘‘It’s an interesting design.’’
‘‘That is one way to put it. The concept is there but the execution is lacking. It’s got some good ideas but they are overshadowed by some overexaggerated features.’’
‘’_It will achieve 100kph in 5.9s and goes on to a top speed of 266kph. Fuel economy is rated at 9.9l.’’
‘‘I think that is that.’’

@loflyh

Sidewinder

‘‘AL, we need to talk… did you disable the spam filter again? It wasn’t funny the first time round.’’
‘‘That was your opinion. And no, my systems are fully functional.’’
‘‘Well, whatever they were going for is lost on me. It missed the mark by about 40 years, styling is simple yet poorly executed. It looks thrown together without any consideration. It’s not consistent at all. Are those door handles even aligned together? Nevermind…’’
‘‘I will make a note to upgrade my filters when we get home.’’

@asami

KarZeder Engineering AB50LUT3 UN1T

‘‘Now this one should shake things up a little bit.’’
‘‘That’s not a car, it’s a bus!’’
‘‘Keep looking.’’
‘’…it’s a clean design. Nice, understated. It doesn’t try hard to be something it’s not. It’s simple but in a good way.’’
‘‘It will achieve a top speed of 289kph.’’
‘‘Respectable number.’’
‘‘Oh and accelerates to 100kph in 3.5s…’’
‘‘pfft WHAT?! THIS?!! ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH?!’’
‘‘I am gravely serious.’’
‘‘Wow, what an absolute unit! I want a closer look now.’’

@CC9020

2048 Zenith 1S

‘‘There are quite a few large vehicles here.’’
‘‘I didn’t think body style mattered to you?’’
‘‘It doesn’t, that’s just an observation. I gotta say though, this van is mean as heck. I am really digging the Villain Van look. It’s very well executed.’’
‘‘It’s reminiscent of the Ceephax Squarepusher, at least from my perspective.’’
‘‘Yeah, I guess it is a little bit. One of the better looking vans for sure.’’
‘’_It’s performance is respectable considering… it’s aerodynamic properties.’’
‘‘That sounds good enough for me!’’
‘‘I’ll pin it with the others then.’’

@Turbofreak88884444

Cyberbyte Calculata TEST

‘‘In case you wanted more body style variety, here is something different to consider.’’
‘‘Do you remember that classic movie about a wasteland where people drove around in rad cars?’’
‘‘Are you perhaps alluding to Mad Max?’’
‘‘That’s it! That’s what this car reminds me of.’’
‘‘Question is, how does that reflect on your preference?’’
‘‘I like the movie. The car is a little over the top. WE don’t live in a warzone, unlike some other citizens of the all-nation.’’
‘‘I must admit I find the accents quite charming.’’
‘‘Is it because you are turned on by anything that reminds you of a circuit board?’’
‘‘Ouch, that was very… personal.’’
‘‘Anyway, the car seems confused. It wants to be in Mad Max but also on the cover of Vogue with those lights and accents. It’s not the cleanest executed design I’ve seen either.’’
‘‘It’s rather fast but at the top end of what you consider acceptable efficiency. Safety isn’t it’s strongest point either.’’
‘‘That would be that then…’’
‘‘Moving on.’’

@Watermelon3878

FujiMo. 90-48

‘‘How about a more sporty vehicle?’’
‘‘Hmm, I’m in two minds about this one. It looks okay but it’s very simple. Simple to the point of being downright lazy. And while it’s clean, there is something odd going on. That facial expression :|… and 12 tail pipes?!’’
‘‘I think I understand what you mean.’’
‘‘It’s okay to be simple but you can’t let the body shape do all the work, that’s just lazy. But hey, quad pop up headlamps!’’
‘‘Now I know you are usually far more interested in electronics, but perhaps this one may spark your curiosity in engineering?’’
‘‘What the…1.8 litre V12?! How does that even work?!’’
‘‘Like any other internal combustion engine, I presume?’’
‘‘It sounds like a recipe for disaster, maybe we should call it on this one.’’
‘‘Very well.’’

@Machalel

Epoch - Fourier Transform

‘‘Whoa. Radical!’’
‘‘I knew you would like it.’’
‘‘It’s very unique. I don’t think I’ve seen any thing like it before!’’
‘‘It clearly draws inspiration from classic over-the-top Japanese designs from the old world.’’
‘‘True it’s almost completely OTT, but tastefully done. Great care and attention went into this design and it shows.’’
‘‘Performance is reasonable too. Perhaps it’s worth considering?’’
‘‘It might just be. I am curious now!’’

@undercoverhardwarema

Nagoya Osprey XS

‘‘This one should seem more sensible.’’
‘‘Yeah, almost too much. It looks like a regular hatchback, doesn’t really stand out. I’m not convinced by the quality of the design and the odd rounded accent. It doesn’t seem that well put together.’’
‘‘It manages a top speed of 256kph and an acceleration of 5.5s.’’
‘‘I don’t know, it doesn’t really stand out and I’m not sold on the overall aesthetic. Looks low rent. Let’s call it.’’
‘‘As you wish.’’

@OME + Ben Cook

KE01 Hot Hatch-Variant 52

‘‘Perhaps this one will be more to your liking if you want to stand out?’’
‘‘Oh. My. God. This is amazing! I’m speechless, it’s so goddamn beautiful. Where do you even find gems like this?!’’
‘‘I already told you, trade secret.’’
‘‘You can’t keep it a secret forever!’’
‘‘I will do my best.’’
‘‘It’s such a clean design. The accents are perfect. It’s unique and daring but not over the top. Elegant and modern yet classic design. And it honors real trees! TREES AL! When was the last time you saw a REAL tree?!’’
‘‘I believe that was around 2035. It also appears to be very competent in terms of performance.’’
‘‘I gotta see it with my own eyes! Make it happen!’’
‘‘I’ll make the arrangements.’’

@Arvok1

Alfora Toro Coupe

‘‘Another striking design.’’
‘‘Aaah!! What IS this?! It looks like an insect!!!’’
‘‘I fail to see how that is logically possible.’’
‘‘It’s all over the place! The accents are terrible, headlights look lazy-eyed, just what exactly is going on with all those vents and wheels?! And to top it off, the rear end looks like a completely different car.’’
‘‘So is it not to your liking?’’
‘’…what gave it away?’’
‘‘Everything.’’
‘‘Let’s just keep looking…’’

@Chickenbiscuit

Leviathan Automotive Spectrelight

‘‘This one should perhaps be a better fit.’’
‘‘Well, now this is much more like it AL! I am really digging this one! It’s so clean and elegant but sharp and mean.’’
‘‘Is ‘mean’ a good characteristic?’’
‘‘You know what I… meant. Those headlights are sublime, the accents are perfectly placed and lines flow effortlessly. Every single detail of this car has been given clear purpose and due attention. It’s a stunning display of craftsmanship.’’
‘‘It’s also a very reasonable performer. Top speed of 278kph, acceleration of 5.2s and respectable 8.2l fuel economy.’’
‘‘It seems so well rounded and balanced. It’s exactly the kind of car I am after! And it would appear that subliminal predictive advertising has put my designation on the car already! Maybe it was meant to be…’’
‘‘Making arrangements now.’’

@NiuYorqCiti

Ponni SWV

‘‘I have another large body in my buffer for you to ponder on.’’
‘‘I’m not sure on that syntax, it came out wrong.’’
‘‘My circuits are slightly overloaded, I’m still working on recovering that data for Greg.’’
‘‘Fair enough. So… a cab?’’
‘‘I think you should give it a little more consideration than that, Fi-Vee.’’
‘‘Blimey, alright. Don’t get so serious all of a sudden. Let’s see what you got!’’
‘‘Let me start by saying this is far from being a slow vehicle. It has a very respectable top speed of 297kph and acceleration of 5.5s. It was clearly designed with skyway use from the start.’’
‘‘That’s impressive considering but still pretty standard.’’
‘‘Did I mention it consumes only 7.7 litres of fuel per 100km?’’
‘‘Excuse me?’’
‘‘What for?’’
‘‘You’re telling me the most efficient car you have for me so far is a 300kph van? But… how?’’
‘‘It would appear to be the case, yes.’’
‘‘AL, sometimes I wonder… anyway. It’s certainly impressive. I looks very understated. Simple but fairly elegant. It might not stand out too much but it doesn’t feel cheap. I’ll bite, book me in for a viewing.’’
‘‘Glad you came round to this one.’’

@4LGE

TAORE ARUMINA5000

‘‘Next up, something entirely different.’’
‘‘This is so cool! It’s like those classic early EV concept cars! People from the old world were so weird and so cool trying to predict modern times.’’
‘‘Even I must admit there is a certain classic charm to this design.’’
‘‘And you can’t even understand art.’’
‘‘It’s illogical but I try against my better judgement to satisfy your curiosity.’’
‘‘And I appreciate that. Wow, it just flows so well. It’s so clean and well put together. Great colors! That advert is rad! Also rear wheel covers are slowly coming back into fashion, a big plus!’’
‘‘Positives all round then. You may be pleased to hear about it’s performance. It will accelerate in 4.8s to 100kph, consume an average of 8.2l of fuel per 100km and, the best till last, go on to a top speed of nearly 340kph!’’
‘‘340… wow. That’s seriously quick. I don’t think I’ve ever been driven anywhere so fast outside of a bullet train.’’
‘‘Shall I make arrangements?’’
‘‘Please!’’

@thecarlover

Mont Royal Aerocar

‘’_This one should add more variety into the mix.’’
‘‘It looks like a tank. But a very elegant, exclusive, luxury tank. The styling is understated and minimalistic yet very refined. It’s a very interesting car.’’
‘‘It has an unsual sunroof arrangement.’’
‘‘I noticed that. Can’t say it’s boring! It’s growing on me. It’s very well put together and very aesthetically pleasing.’’
‘‘It’s a reasonably well performing car. Top speed of 273kph, acceleration of 5.9s may seem a little low but is perfectly adequate. Economy is reasonable too at 8.7l.’’
‘‘Looks like I might just have to give it a go!’’
‘‘I’ll file it away with the others.’’

@chiefzach2018

Zacspeed - Interstellar - Runner

‘‘This is the last car I have for you. Take a look.’’
‘‘That’s pretty radical. The overall styling is good but just a little too crazy. It’s a cool enthusiast car but is it for me?’’
‘‘I could see you in it.’’
‘‘You could also see me in a Toro Coupe…’’
‘‘Touche.’’
‘‘I like it and want to like it more but the wheels don’t work for me.’’
‘‘It’s a very fast car. 0-100 sprint takes just 3.7s and on to a top speed of 300kph.’’
‘‘You know what, I’ll try it out.’’

‘‘So this is it. There are no more cars for you to consider right now.’’
‘‘I think this is enough to make my decision really challenging anyway.’’
‘‘Very well, we will leave it at that. So to recap, the candidates are:’’

@Chickenbiscuit
@MasterDoggo
@Ome + Ben Cook
@saddiseased
@Xepy
@4LGE
@Yangx2
@Mikonp7
@thecarlover
@NiuYorqCiti
@Fayeding_Spray
@Machalel
@goblin95
@asami
@conan
@HighOctaneLove
@chiefzach2018
@CC9020
Congratulations on making it through the perliminary shootout. Tune in tomorrow for the finals!

‘‘That’s a pretty damn long list. It’s a good thing I have the day off tomorrow.’’
‘‘Yes, you will be very busy all day tomorrow! Now, it would appear that your lunch break is almost over. I suggest you grab a quick nutriblock, a refreshment and carry on. Greg will be waiting for your report on todays incident.’’
‘‘Let me know if you make any breakthroughs in your data recovery.’’
‘‘Very well, I will let you know as soon as possible.’’

This concludes round 1. I will aim to post the final results around the same time tomorrow!

18 Likes

YES!!!

3 Likes

Congrats on those who made it, this CSR looks interesting to say the least

4 Likes

My goal was that, because there are so many 1.8L engines around (and presumably a lot more in the future) I wanted it to be a more interesting 1.8L engine, but maybe it was a bit too out there.

well **** looks like i need to improve on tweaking more then but thats what i get for joining in 24 hours before the event is over

1 Like

Yusss… Finally got to a final!

‘‘It clearly draws inspiration from classic over-the-top Japanese designs from the old world.’’

Was it that obvious? I admit it was one of the inspirations, but I was trying to make it not that easy to pick :smile:

3 Likes

yaaaaas, tens of hours spent on that goddamn tree amount to something :))

1 Like

Well I wasn’t really going to expect much from tarting up an ancient design (1980s to 2040s is such a big gap), but I kinda happy knowing that it at least tried to be decently different. Good luck to all those who passed Round 1!

13 Likes

I thought every car in this challenge was a wildcard :thinking:

6 Likes

Did I make it or not?

The Lorax much?

You should have done. I must have made an error and overlooked your tag. Sorry Ill update that now.

That’s quite the competition! Everyone good luck for the finals :sunglasses:

I’m very excited what you’ll come up with, GROOV3ST3R and @Marcus_gt500!
Here’s a song about uber love affairs

1 Like

alright, lets go boys we in

also here’s a better song

4 Likes

E U R O B E A T I N T E N S I F I E S

Hmm… If I ever get to host another CSR… that’s not a bad idea.

3 Likes